/urban/ + /architecture/

strawpoll.me/10906138

Guangzhou vs Shanghai

Quarterfinals Battle 3

Other urls found in this thread:

m.greenpeace.org/eastasia/high/news/blog/china-air-pollution-heading-west/blog/56213/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Guangzhou

Honestly a hard choice

Shanghai needs like 5 more years and it'll be Hong Kong tier.

I absolutely adore the tallest skyscraper on the left in the CBD. Shanghai and Beijing and Shenzen could use like it.

It reminds me of Halo.

yep it looks like halo

Guangzhou is great, but it doesn't really got anything on Shanghai.

This isn't only because of the high iconic factor Shanghai boasts, but also because you need to see Guangzhou from very specific angles for it to truly look awesome, while Shanghai is larger, more condensed and looks good from just about any viewpoint.

Guangzhou honestly is only the CBD and the TV tower meanwhile Shangai actually has some nice towers besides Pudong

Would it be more or less interesting to exclude places like Shanghai/Dubai/NY and HK from these polls in the future?

w-why?

Maybe not exclude them, but we already know they're tier 1 skylines, so putting them up against each other in their own group could maybe let the tier 2 ones duke it out against each other without being rekd by tier 1 skylines right at the start.

Who won NY/Shenzhen?

Remember, combat evolved with the giant beacon towers. Also Halo 2 in New Mombasa?

This, it's always the same.

That one was close does anyone know who won?

Because they are just going to win every-time and it makes threads like this less interesting and there isn't really any chance for discussion over which is actually better. Maybe having a tier 1 edition is fun but it doesn't seem as interesting for a "tournament"

I think the main reason though is it would be a great opportunity for people to look at skylines they've never seen before and get some new pictures, lots of places which aren't top tier still have some cool buildings or angles.

Pic related is Santiago for example, sorta interesting right? and lots of people probably haven't seen it. To make early rounds less boring cos the cities aren't massively exciting you could do 4 city group stages.

spooky

Well lad NYC actually barely won against Shenzhen I don't think Tier 1 skylines are that much of a problem.
NYC, 40:37

Santiago was included into the poll

Like this picture.

>soontobedeleveledapartments.jpg

Shanghai

Beijing, Tianjin, Nanjing, Yokohama, Osaka, Busan, Rio, Sao, Buenos Aires, Bangkok, Kaiousing, Manila, Mexico City, and maybe Chincouver.

Good picture. Is the photographer taking it from a skyscraper?

no idea but it seems so

generally Blackstation have really good photos, check them(him?) on Flickr

>People call this jewish thing a building

which one?

All of them, this is a building fucking goys

>Guangzhou 2 votes
wow this cityt is kind of underrated here

Posting more Guangzhou

Well I think its interesting but not Shanghai right.

I think it might be the second best in mainland China? Maybe Chonqing is more intense but I really dislike it.

As said, it kind of pales next to Shanghai. This is good, but not quite Pudong good.

IFC is still one of my favorite buildings, though.

>I think it might be the second best in mainland China?
in terms of what?

What else would you nominate? I kind of find Chongqing and Guangzhou to be about equally good by different measures personally.

I mean, Shenzhen is too spread out to make it for me as a truly and objectively top-tier skyline, and Beijing and Tianjin are decent, but lacking.

I mean what is he talking about because if about skylines yeah it's Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou and maybe Chongqing the other skylines like Tianjin or Nanjing are kind of "Tier 2"

But if we are talking about city as a city Beijing should be somewhere in top 3 probably.

I'm going to assume he was talking about skylines, and Hong Kong isn't really on the mainland. Unless you count Kowloon as its own entity, that is.

Voting Shanghai. I think Shanghai is probably the most iconic skyline along with NY and maybe HK and tokyo.

Like If someone showed you only the silhouette of the city most people could point out it's shanghai. But besides being iconic it looks cool, dense and unique.

Not posting much today or the next days because I'm moving to England tomorrow (I'm sad /urban/ ;_;).

But anyway here are a couple of pics I took in shanghai.

Hong Kong literally is on the mainland.

I wish I could experience life as a poor Chinese dude working on that street for a day.

Good picture

I have to admit, the Red flag is quite imposing.

8/10 flag.

>Guangzhou
Skyline aside, I wonder if it can win against HK to become the primate city of Pearl Delta. It is the only one that can at least do something about competing for the position of primate city with HK considering Macau is a small ass town and Shenzhen is kinda HK w/ diff name

I love the 70's retro look of the Pudong tower on the left.

This area was really poor, giant contrast to the centre. Literally facing my back to pudong.

Yes, it is. All the skyscrapers however are located on Hong Kong Island, which by every definition is not.

Sorry meant to tag Also yeah it's so fun. Lots of people dislike it but personally I find it funky.

Old shanghai

Have a ton of (You)'s as thanks for the photos. Where in England are you moving to, and why?

China is in a hugely tense transition period economically and politically.

Like America in the 1960's.

Pollution, heavy industry, high inequality, de facto segregation, ethnic conflict, slowing economy.
And they are hoping to get to
Less pollution, more services, lower inequality, hokuo reform, ethnic peace, and slower but healthier growth.

It's up in the air if it'll be successful.

But yeah, that's why even in the richest city, there are dirt poor neighborhoods next to the richest.

>All the skyscrapers however are located on Hong Kong Island, which by every definition is not.
(Citation needed)

It's an island, lad. And a self-governing one at that. I'm not sure why you're trying to argue it's somehow attached to the mainland.

Man China looks fucking awesome, wish I knew mandarin so I could work there

You're welcome norway-kun. Also thank you~

I'm moving to London. I was born there and my family still owns the house I grew up in. I'm going there looking for a better and more stable job in my area.

I'm not exactly happy about this because Im leaving all of my friends and family behind but I need opportunities which Portugal just can't give me (and most young people atm). Also even though I spent my childhood in England, and have wanted to go back for a large portion of my teenage years, I don't think it's the same country it was when I left. Ehk I guess things will get better later. At least I'll be in a new city to photograph!

(Sorry for blogging).

Here's another of shanghai I don't have much more on my cellphone.

There are a lot of skyscrapers not on HK island.

Also, 80% of the population is not on HK island. It's idiotic to say HK island = HK.

The vast majority of Hong Kong Chinese live on the mainland. This mainlander/non-mainlander description is simply retarded.

Are Hainan Chinese not mainlanders?

>tfw the snackbar logo looks just like the State Council of China's official logo

>(Sorry for blogging)
I'm the one who asked, so no need to apologize for that. But yeah, life's a pickle. You'll at least live in a world-class /urban/ city now, with things happening all the time. At least I would find that pretty exciting.

And why do you no longer consider it to be the same place you left?

Mate, I'm not gonna argue why an island is not somehow attached to the mainland.

HK Island is where the notorious skyline is, that's all.

Voting Shanghai, besides the skyline there is something magical about looking at all those sand barges moving up and down the river with something like several hundred metres distance between each day and night.

Yeah and you really feel these contrasts when you're there, in every sector you mentioned.

I was in some dirt poor villages, much much worse than this area (the photo isn't even showing the little streets and unfortunately I don't have those photos on my cellphone). Houses basically built on trash, right in between beautiful rice terraces. Even in the more polished areas of the large cities if you go to any of the little alleys you'll find tons of rubbish. More than an economical boom people are also going through a period of big cultural confusion I think.

But I think in general chinese people are very positive (at least that's how I see it as a person who lives in such a pessimistic country).

Super interesting and interested to see how China will grow (or not) in the next years. Such an old but "new" country, truly the country of contrasts.

>all those trees

The chinese are doing something right, hopefully they can fix the smog and pollution, Shanghai will be a beautiful city in 10-15 years once they fix those issues.

Their plan is getting to 40% overall and there is already plenty of green that you can see if you ride the maglev from Pudong. Chong Ming district is home to Shanghai's reserve for birds and fish.
Granted the pollution in China is really bad but according to our guide at the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Centre they are making great progress. Take it with a grain of salt though since I was on a govt visit along with out town planning dept so the possibility of their govt shilling might be high.

I believe them, just look at America in the 50's and 60's or look at Britain during the industrial revolution, the Thames was considered a polluted unsalvageable disaster and soot covered just about the entire city. I believe China can fix itself and it will have some absolutely beautiful cities once it does

>You'll at least live in a world-class /urban/ city now, with things happening all the time. At least I would find that pretty exciting.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to focus on. I guess this is just "leaving the nest" sadness. Hopefully I'll be okay once I'm settled and stary meeting new people/exploring.

>And why do you no longer consider it to be the same place you left?
T b h I feel like it's more intolerant, dangerous and gloomier than when I left. Then again I wasn't even 9 when I did so I'm pretty sure my old vision is pinker due to my childhood goggles. Well I'll be going to bed. If you see a Uk flag around it might be me. Gnight /urban/

I'm not saying they are totally lying but being wary is always necessary when dealing with PRC.
Would be more trusting is they did not make us go on a mandatory trip to chinese traditional medicine factory and the staff went on shilling medicine for hours. Medicine which the director of our National Poison Dept lab warns might contain banned substances since she has identified plenty of them from the numerous lab tests from mainland companies trying to export their traditional medicine products to this country.
Visiting Shanghai is fun though, the scenery from the Shanghai Tower is great for a price of 180 yuan.

why dont you guys post traditional architecture?
like this

You literally said HK is not part of the mainland user.

because this general is completely obsessed with sucking chink dick

>But I think in general chinese people are very positive

They are. Although with the recent slowdown it has gone from exuberance to cautious optimism. That's probably for the better.

>Super interesting and interested to see how China will grow (or not) in the next years.
Oh it'll be growing faster than 6% the next few years. The question is if it'll improve socially and culturally as well.

>Such an old but "new" country, truly the country of contrasts.
Definitely. I can't think of a nation with sharper contrasts right now. Maybe India, but in India the majority are dirt poor. In China the majority our living in decent homes.

We will see what happens. I am optimistic for China. They've always found a way to keep improving.
I just dislike how politics between America/China are hurting the cultural/economic growth of both nations. It's almost like a new cold war in American media. So many lies. It sometimes feels like I'm listening to Chinese state media: American version.

m.greenpeace.org/eastasia/high/news/blog/china-air-pollution-heading-west/blog/56213/

Ignore the headline but overall in East China air pollution fell 12% January 2015-January 2016.

Overall in China it is down 6% January-January.

Some western regions are getting worse, which is what they should work on alleviating. Apply the lessons they've learned in the new regions you know?

>all those 1800's short buildings next to 2000's skyscrapers

Nice

>shilling
Yeah the SOE's in China have a tendency to do that. They are toeing the company line.

Then again, China's authorities listen to their people (middle class and rich). They were mad about the airpocalypse in early 2013 and since then China has been making great progress.

If they'd just let their unprofitable coal and steel plants die, they'd be doing even better.

Because the thread is literally about SKYLINES. Not fucking cathedrals from 1500.

If you want to post them, do it. The rest of us will focus on the thread topic.

>Toronto and Vancouver lost in the first round
Hahaha seems like we are not sucking Chinese dick.

sky·line
ˈskīˌlīn/
noun
noun: skyline; plural noun: skylines

an outline of land and buildings defined against the sky.

>We mined the data for 362 cities across the country and discovered that China’s overall air quality has made massive improvements in the first quarter of 2016.

>China’s PM2.5 concentration fell an average of 8.8% compared to this time last year

>Air quality in China’s eastern coastal cities improved dramatically in the first quarter of 2016. Beijing’s PM2.5 concentration dropped by an incredible 27% compared to 2015's first quarter, while Shanghai’s dropped by 12%.

The definition you are using and the definition used in Battle of Skylines threads are not the same.

Who would have thought there is more than one definition for a word?!? *gasps*
Shocker huh?

find me a single dictionary entry which supports your definition

>/urban/ + /architecture/