Nfw it's impossible to have fast DE without bells and whistles because GTK implies fancy theming

>nfw it's impossible to have fast DE without bells and whistles because GTK implies fancy theming
What do?
Maybe create special GTK renderer which ignores theming?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish an OS would come out that specifically focussed on simplicity, speed, efficiency, and frugality. Something like Windows 3.11 or 95, but redesigned to work on modern computers.

i3

95's UI is comfy as fuck

just use a tiling wm you faggot

>want to use GUI programs because the mouse is faster in s9me workflow scenarios
>limits self to a WM thats unoptomozed for either mouse or keyboard.
Tiling WM are such a meme, especially when floating WM can do either.

There's no benefit to tiling WM, only the loss of effecient mouse use.

sounds like you've only used shitty ones. modern twms have floating options for mouse use, they let you decide, rather than forcing you into mouse-centric or keyboard-centric use.

just use a tiling wm you faggot

has never used a tiling wm

Modern stacking wm allow you to expand windows to the halves of the screen just by dragging them to the border. It's more than enough for that rare case when you need more than a single window on the screen.
t. used xmonad for 5 years, switched to Xfce, never looked back

wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

Have you read the OP?
DE is DE, WM is WM.
DE is a full-fledged environment which automatically connects me to the Wi-Fi, mounts drives and such.
So I'd like to have a fast DE.

are you implying that you can't do those things and use a WM?

I imply that WMs aren't interchangable with DEs. WM is a part of DE.
Advising WMs over DE implies you set other parts of DE up on yourself.

how young are you fucks? 98SE was much better than 95. However, real patricians were using NT4 at the time anyways.

fuck gtk.
simple.
install rio

98SE was just 95's UI with IE shit thrown in
there was some advantages when it came to managing files, but some disadvantages as well
and NT4 used 95's UI pretty much as-is
note that i said 95's /UI/, not just 95 as a whole
it was a monumental step up from 3.x, and has mostly just been downhill since. this is why 95's UI stands out

It's great, but there are less programs written for rio, than written for GTK.

just use commandline everything. with the power of 9term and acme you can pretty much do anything.

95 was a downgrade from 3, on all levels

You do realize toolkits are not mandatory and you can draw UI with base X11 alone, right?

TDE is KDE 3 fork like Mate is Gnome 2 fork

It literally looks like a Win9X knockoff

>looks like a Win9X knockoff
Must suck being blind

The solution to "bad UIs" isn't "no UI".

Anyway. IceWM is the way to go.

Tiling window managers let you use your mouse, you dumbfuck.

Very few developers (if any) write GUI applications for base X11.
Also, it would not be wise to make X11-only programs when Wayland becomes more and more popular.

it kind of makes me laugh when people try to suck off 95 as an "ultra light" operating system when it easily shit all over even high-end systems from only a few years before it was released, while modern Windows, macOS and fully-fledged Linux distributions happily run on 7+ year old hardware

before Windows 2000 I dual booted Windows 98 with NT 4. I played games and used my webcam on 98, and did serious work on NT. NT was really impressive because it almost never crashed. 2000 brought the best of both worlds by adding Plug-n-Play to NT.

>The solution to "bad UIs" isn't "no UI".
The problem isn't ``bad UIs'', but there being ``no good UIs''; so the solution to the problem of not using a ``bad UI'' is to use ``no UI''.

Keyboard shortcuts are faster, you don't have to move your hand or move the pointer.
Mind you I use both because "right tool for the job" etc.