How was it possible that Microsoft was able to keep Windows Phones centrally updated while Google has zero control over...

How was it possible that Microsoft was able to keep Windows Phones centrally updated while Google has zero control over it?

Software skins?

I didn't know that WP was open source and free to implement in every rock you can trick into thinking

20+ years OS experience

btw, the WM10 update was dogshit on the Lumia 640, it had a shitload of bugs I had to downgrade.

That's why wp failed and Android didn't

I realize that some random ass piece of shit chinese device won't get updates but I'm more wondering about the major brands with 1000 dollar devices.

Because google doesn't actually want centrally controlled updates to android?

That would negate the only reason for purchasing a pixel.

Android is none of those things you just mentioned so I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue in favor of here...

then explain this

It was part of the compromise to get handset manufacturers to adopt Android. If Google maintained control of all the devices running Android, Samsung would have already switched to Tizen.

It's why Android is so fucking terrible, most $600 devices are only updated for 12 months.

and now 99% will have a major WPA vulnerability.

Just another way to gather data, call me if the update schedule for non-google devices actually change.

Is this a Windows 10 Mobile thread?

What's the best browser that Opera Mini has been killed? None of them works, renders like shit and have no ad blockers (those that claim they do don't even work, eg. Monument).

I thought W10M was going to be good but the app developers... They seem like just fooling around to try their new programming skills.

why is windows 10, their main OS such a pile of shit .. you cannot rely on it

why are they out of mobile? because they are fucking amateurs who release betas

don#t give me "20+ years OS experience"

they are a rolling wreck with their platform

it's only because of the licensing lockdown (pcs) and that people are fucking stupid

The only way Google got cell phone makers to use the piece of shit that is Android was to let them do what ever the fuck they wanted. The only way Microsoft got cellphone makers to use the piece of shit that is windows was to buy one.

>Cellphone makers don't support their own devices with updates because it's hard
The absolute STATE of Android

can we expect fushia to fix this?

cuz microshaft is wel-organised cumpany

Android allows OEMS and Carriers to sell whatever gimmick they wanted by the openset alliance. That’s how Google was able to sell Android to vendors instead of Windows. Windows doesn’t grant the freedom that Android provides.

Windows/Ios/Linux have centralized update chain that can update all support devices at once because they function as the same OS. Android have 100 versions of same rom that can’t be updated at once. Android update system is decentralized thanks to vendors control of the skins.

>Android have 100 versions of same rom that can’t be updated at once. Android update system is decentralized thanks to vendors control of the skins.
who thought this would be a good idea?

Richard stallman

>Samsung would have already switched to Tizen
and nothing of value would be lost. Who gives two shits about samsung, let them do whatever they want and fuck themselves.

Stallman/torvalds or as I have begun calling them stallman + torvalds

See
It diasterous deal to get vendors on android.
ChromeOS didn’t have this problem it’s about how desperate google wants adoption

>ChromeOS didn’t have this problem it’s about how desperate google wants adoption
maybe, although google only supports a chrome OS device for 5 years.

INTERJECTION: What you refer as stallman + torvalds is infact GNU Stallman + Torvalds ...

They say that because they can't say outright that they simply want to force you to buy another device after some time.

You nit buying a device every year or so means less money for them.

Many reasons but I'll cut it down to the best points.

Microsoft had a direct partnership with the manufacturers and most likely restricted what they could add software -wise to the devices.

Google allowed basically anyone to use Android with little to no restrictions.

TL;DR: Google should have poo'd in loo instead of designated shitting street

My 3yr old Xiaomi just got a miui update that patches it.

That was only possible with the W10 Update Advisor which was basically a hack to update your software without carrier's permission. Before that - during 8 and 8.1 - you still had to wait for Carriers to push the update.

Google basically allowed vendors and app developers to do whatever the fuck they want, in order to make Android as popular as possible.

The result is that it became the Windows of smartphones. Unsecure, bloated, and slow.

And they don't even give a shit either, the only thing they care about is having the phone running Chrome, so they control the web platform with their own implementations of the standards.

Great, so the Chinese already have all your info anyway

its proprietary software so the maker of the os controls it unlike android that is used on many different devices that the maker of the os has no control over.

Better the chinks than murrika lmao