Thomson is a professional developer. He's been writing code for like 30 years

Thomson is a professional developer. He's been writing code for like 30 years.

Now, I love linux, and I don't ever want to use osx, or windows, so I hate what he said.

Is there truth to what he said, though?

Also, does this make the linux tard rage?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/thomcom
linkedin.com/in/thomcom
github.com/opensource-apple/xnu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Poo in the loo Raj.

It just reads like some sole, random faggot massaging his ego through a fashion accessory.

who

He is a hipster-type. Man bun and huge beard..

Not a pajeet, faggot.

Everyone serious eventually finds their way to mac for a couple reasons.

1. customer service is unmatched
2. longevity of devices is also unmatched
3. they now have the money to afford the devices
4. the os just werks and each update has been completely free
5. a bunch of top quality programs that rivals paid alternatives come installed by default
6. adobe suite just werks
7. no more heading to shitty forums hosted by sperg elitists telling you to copypaste a bunch of commands to fix a basic fucking thing
8. drivers are literally something you never have to think about ever
9. it can game just fine and is the platform majority of devs port to if they do something other than consoles/pc
10. integrates nicely to the most solid and privacy minded mobile platform

Linux is utterly unusable. Makes sense why a bunch of third world shitters (and leech-life neets who consider themselves white) keep shilling in favor of it.

see

Except majority of linux users are both poor, cheap, and indian, so congratulations Ramesh.

see

Learn to use the loo first before commenting, pajeet

>Is there truth to what he said, though?
he didn't fucking say anything you retard, you're just too busy dick riding to realize. the fuck is up with everyone on Sup Forums jerking off these memegrammers nowadays? /terry/ is your god you faggots.

What has to go wrong in someone's life that they start taking cock up the ass, religiously devote themselves to an evil megacorp, and make 20 threads like these every day:

no idea who that is.

>love linux
Torvalds didn't write a compiler for linux.

See More indian linux rage as usual.

>hipster-type. Man bun and huge beard..
low testosterone soy fag, needs to lay off the soy lattes and hit the gym

The OP explained that, you retard.

>professional developer 30 years experience

Linus wrote the Linux operating system.

Not an argument rajeesh, this board is for loo users only

Is this the new desktop thread?

a literal nobody
github.com/thomcom

I love people like you. Especially those who misuse words.

That's not egoistical. What you're doing is egoistical. Don't call people a bunch of egos because they're more accomplished than you.

>chess game
>door game
>vim config
>irc bot

The typical 30 year veteran mactoddler """""""programmer"""""".

He's also a CS professor, or was.

I'm not a fan of Apple or Apple hipsters, but I don't understand all the anti-Mac sentiment here. I know lots of serious, good developers who use Mac.

You cannot make that much shit in that many different languages.

Why do I get the sense people here on Sup Forums spend too much time fighting holy wars and too little time building cool stuff...

Why so defensive faggot? I am more accomplished than him but I don't advertise it by using fashion accessories made for gayboys.

Now, go make another iToddler thread, turbofaggot.

Nice job but none of this has anything to do with becoming a better developer. The only thing that I could see making a difference is either the development tools or the API.
I don't really see how using a different tool or API would make someone a "better" developer unless it taught them a totally different way to approach problem solving or a new programming paradigm. Otherwise, it's just "We use this IDE instead of that IDE" or "We call this function instead of calling that function".

It's mostly has to do with the price people pay for Apple devices and the constant shilling the general public has over apple. It's one thing to say "I'm willing to pay a higher price for Apple because I like it" but another thing to say "apple is easier to use than android". They both are just as easy to use, so the second statement is what causes all the ruckus

Personally, I run all three OS's.
Use the right tool for the right job.
I never understood anyone who fanboys for any particular OS and no you're not doing any hardware software development unless you're on Linux because the fucking system internal dependencies and libraries aren't present on Mac or Windows without fucking around w/ shit tier solutions if that.

Cuck obviously had a nervous breakdown.

>python irc bot
This is all I need to know, disregarded.

Y

Linux is much better for Lisp development than Windows, they're even on the Mac. This faggot probably doesn't even use emacs for his Lisp development work.

So what type of projects should people have on their github, the fuck? An AI?

>mfw I wonder what people think of my calculator

and i thought i was fucking sick in the head

he has a phd in CS

Yes and yes

Stallman has been coding for 45 years and he only uses emacs for literally everything

>CS professor
With no achievements in research and no achievements in industry.
The embodiment of "He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches."

> tries to school someone on what 'egotistical' means.
> can't even spell 'egotistical'.

lmao, dude you're a joke.

Even by his own admission, he only used Linux for 6 months or so.

Hardly a ringing endorsement that he knows wtf he's talking about.

linux host for secure machines, otherwise any other desktop is a meme.

>I really wanted this shiny new toy, but I'm fucking poor so I'll wait six months and blow all of my money on it.

>no more heading to shitty forums hosted by sperg elitists telling you to copypaste a bunch of commands to fix a basic fucking thing

If fanboys do becomes looks strong and profesional community know power of Unix.

linkedin.com/in/thomcom

Sure...

>So what type of projects should people have on their github, the fuck? An AI?
yes, actually.

Yeah and he’s literally never written anything of note,

Who gives a fuck. I use whatever system makes the most sense for that project.

>3. they now have the money to afford the devices

If you're paying for your own laptop then you should find a new company.

He wrote critical components to the GNU operating system. He conceived and developed the algorithm used for bit-error-detection at the compiler level that is still being used to this day.

Now he just smokes weed and begs people for source code.

Using OS X Is basically like using a gimped unix.

Who is this fucking cuck?
I'm on the industry for almost 20 years.
Every system has it uses and sets of weakness and powers.
Bragging about how mac is superior (oppesed to just Linux and windows) as a combo of hardware and software just show me how much of crap this talk this.

For me osx is on average same shit as any other system, but the incredible amount of faggots, hipsters and faux designers, programmers and shit draw to this platform for reasons not related to the system itself but because of it's status make it highly undesirable to me.

>I am more accomplished than him
you arent even 30, let alone have 30 years dev experience.

I switched to hackintosh because it gives me a nice desktop environment that doesn't keep breaking while I make stuff, and I get all the unix utils

OS X looks ugly

I don't have time to rice my desktop

just because you spend a lot of time doing something does not mean you will be good at it.

Install XFCE then

>he has to go to a physical store to update his operating system

I think I am a good programmer because I am good at my job, and my title is "Sr Software Engineer." I've also got 8 years experience.

I agree heavily with what he said. I love running OSX, because it's got a lot of the comforts of linux, with the extreme usability of OSX. There might be some flaws, but a lot fewer flaws than I run into on most linux distros I've run. I'm a systems guy, too, so I spend all day in linux systems. Nothing beats it for servers, but for desktop, it's not what it was designed for.

Poo in the loo Raj.

>Is there truth to what he said, though?
No. He is clearly retarded. How good you are at developing applications is completely independent of what operating system you use.

Actually, yes it does.

>but for desktop, it's not what it was designed for.
Linux works on everything; it's what it was designed for.

You fucking phony.

Truth.

But Linux will always have a place. Always.

Made some money, got some renown. Not a bad life.

No, it doesn't. If you do something wrong for thirty years you will still be shit. Sure you might learn from mistakes. But you will still be shit.

1990's - 2001 - All great programmers used Sun
2001 - today - All great programmers use Macs.
Commercial UNIX > neet hobby OS
EOF

But how many Mac owners are actually developers?

all of them

So why do people use OSX then?

It's not UNIX.

Yes it is. In 1993 (ie before you were born) UNIX became a standard. You could have microkernels with layers and layers of shit as long as you stuck to the standard. But yes, if you wanted vanilla UNIX you went with Solaris since it came straight from ATT, but it quickly became it's own thing after ATT sold off it's stake in Sun.

It's not UNIX.

Even Apple says so.

All those girls in my Latino studies and psychology classes are developers?

Sure kid.

>Latino studies and psychology classes

github.com/opensource-apple/xnu

It becomes inevitable enough when you just want a de-cluttered lifestyle with no worrying that something 'may' fuck up. There are hundreds of small ways that switching to the Apple ecosystem makes in a daily life that its hard to fully point out. I'm sure one can imagine the integration and seamlessness between something like a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, iCloud, Apple Music, AirPods, HomePod, CarPlay, Apple Pay, iPad, Apple watch with LTE and more. Apple have basically cornered every device and service that you'd use daily that has anything to do with tech or the internet. Convenience, design and ease of mind are unparalleled. Not to mention, anyone making any sort of premium accessory is basically only making it for Apple. From home alarm systems to camera shit for iPhones.

You all laughed at Apple's soldered SSD but its actually great. As you'd have iCloud backups automatically anyway to an offline server many times the size of your own local drive, you're able to retrieve any file within your system from there, or even do a full system rollback.

Crucially too, should your Mac get lost or stolen nobody will be able to obtain the information in your drive, firstly because its soldered and secondly if they really, really want to, even a fucking NAND dump wouldn't do much when all your shit is encrypted thanks to the APFS filesystem. Think about how iPhones are literally unhackable without the correct credentials. Same thing with a Mac. To me that's peace of mind. Unfortunatly however, any of my non-Mac laptops can just have the SATA SSD taken out, hooked up to a SATA3-USB connector and have all my files show up on a file explorer.

Posting on a MBPr right now, he is

That's not to say that other things are shit. I personally love my W and X series ThinkPads, I like the fact Linux exists and I enjoy tinkering with them but I don't trust them enough to want to choose them for my primary machines.

My lecturers and tutors use OSX. The difference between OP's pic and my mentors is that they don't wank over which OS is the best.

Yup, traditionally ATT UNIX used a monolithic kernel and Mach based kernels were a new thing. Thus if you wanted to create something new (NEXTstep) you wouldn't call it UNIX. But again you're going beyond 1993. Nothing before 1993 really matters.

Windows is at least as user friendly as OSX is now though. The only reason to get one these days is if you want something durable/premium

Do they wank over which editor is best?

That's the Darwin kernel, dipshit.

OSX is still UNIX certified

>He's been writing code for like 30 years.

2017-30 = 1987

I think I just figured out why he was having trouble coding on linux.

He has a man bun, literally no one gives a fuck what this wannabe samurai has to say about shit.

Yup that and OSX was not certified till 10.5. XNU has been around since 1988ish.

Never heard of the guy but he regards himself as a developer primarily. Not a programmer.
Probably implies that he prioritizes tasks other than writing code to accomplish engineering requirements higher than doing just that.
What's wrong with man-buns? It's the most lazy hairstyle there is beyond just letting your hair be.

>writing code
He's at least born in 1980 or before. You don't start coding right out of the womb.

>What's wrong with man-buns?

>What's wrong with man-buns?
You serious nigger?

If we are talking strictly development he's correct.

Linux makes dev easy but normies will struggle with stuff like setting up sound, video, power controls and other desktop stuff.

This is where MacOS comes in and removes that complexity. Desktop stuff justwerks, and you still got your fullstack dev tools that work.

I do not own a single apple product and am running GNU/linux without systemd on all my systems.

Nice reddit spacing. It doesn't just work though. You have to deal with retarded OS X quirks like case insensitivity.

>github.com/thomcom
LOOOOL FUCK.
F U C K.

dropped. you have to be kidding me.
look at this people.

/thread please /thread
end this