Does anyone actually use GNOME 3 unironically?

Does anyone actually use GNOME 3 unironically?

I accidentally installed that shit on a fresh Debian install because it was the default, everywhere you click, it just reeks of terrible design decisions.
The worst one being the lack of a desktop and taskbar.
You literally cannot switch between open programs without going back into the activities menu.
I don't even understand why it let's you resize windows and keep multiple workspaces, every program might as well be full screen.
I finally had enough when I clicked to open the settings then switched back to the browser, then seconds later GNOME pushes a goddamn notification that Settings was open and ready to use.

I purged that shit and installed xfce so fast.

why not kde?

How would you go about uninstalling all 600 packages gnome installed? Can you do a recursive uninstall or will it take out core packages?

I use gnome 3.
You forgot to mention that the default file manager can't make new files or how taskbar icons get a pop up panel.

Why not Windows? You don't have to configure and/or customize anything there

>You literally cannot switch between open programs without going back into the activities menu.
Wait really? You can't just alt+tab?

You can

Well I guess OP is a liar then. Still, I never touched GNOME 3 because of the ugly titlebars.

Maybe OP meant this: in GNOME 3, lets say you have two Firefox windows open, and one Thunderbird window open. You want to switch between your two Firefox windows. alt-tab in GNOME 3 only lets you switch between different programs, never between multiple windows of the same program.
All in all, GNOME sucks.

i'm running Debian with Gnome 3 on my laptop. i don't love it, but i don't dislike it enough to be motivated to try something else

>alt-tab in GNOME 3 only lets you switch between different programs, never between multiple windows of the same program.
In a way, this is even worse.

You can. Hit alt-tab to open the little bar the icons are in, use the arrow keys to move to terminal or firefox, and move down to cycle the windows.

>you literally cannot switch between open programs without going back into the activities menu

lrn 2 alt+tab, newfag

It's how os x does it

Seriously? Why do people love that garbage then?

This is retarded. alt+tab should just switch between windows.

You can do that too.

Good, that should be the default.

so this whole thread was actually just a thinly veiled "spoon feed me pls!" plea by OP?

How do I make the titlebars not look retarded?

>What is alt-tilde?

That tab got removed in the most recent version.

That's the thing, everyone justifies gnome 3 by pointing to all the different extensions and plugins needed to make it usable. They don't even add anything new, they just emulate how other desktop environments are supposed to act.
At that point, why not install a better fucking DE?

Oh, thanks.

I unironically use it. I just have dash-to-dock and topicons-plus installed and I really enjoy the ux. I also use a different gtk theme (Arc) because Adwaita's titlebars are ugly and too large for my liking.

It's a default plugin. People have a micro issue that most people don't care for, and that's how you can fix it. It's fair enough, no?

i use vanilla gnome 3 fedora. i don't really have time in my 30s for fucking around with anything and it ~just werks~ for me. honestly wish i did have the time to make a crazy beautiful looking customized linux like you dudes do....but i just don't have time for it. getting old sucks.

You probably waste that time in front of the TV or working to pay off debts you didn't need to incur.

I've been using gnome for years. All my issues with it are rarely mentioned in gnome hate threads.
Aside from moving the dock to the desktop and changing the file manager, there's not many issues I have with it.

I am, owo.

>desktop
what do you need on your desktop user?
>taskbar
There's an extension for that.
>can't switch between open programs
Activities Menu is actually super efficient. Namely when you have multiples of the same instances open.
Aside from that Alt+Tab/Super+Tab are still standard. Esp. with the Coverflow Alt-tab extension.
>I don't even understand why it let's you resize windows and keep multiple workspaces, every program might as well be full screen.
This is a legitimate complaint. Go ask tiling WM fags the same question and they will tell you that they've developed an entirely niche workflow with 6 gorillion hotkeys.
Which they use about .01% of the time.
Its the same in Gnome3. The vast majority of the time in any workflow your program is going to be fullscreen.
>then seconds later GNOME pushes a goddamn notification that Settings was open and ready to use.
I've had this problem before and Im not entirely sure what causes it.

Shit, what up user.
Wallpaper?

Here you go
>.jpg
I haven't found the png version yet.

It's funny because it's probably true.

Hey thanks.

i have in the past.. but im a tiling-wm fag so it was natural for me.

t. technologically illiterate
CMD + TAB then UP key

I use it all the time, I've never had any issue with it and I have no clue why people seem to despise it so much.
Only thing I'd like is proper title bars with context menus really.

gnome fags defend that horrible filepicker

GTK filepicker?

Gnome 3 is the best OS for a 2 in 1 laptop

I was trying to install GIMP and ended up accidentally installing GNOME and it removed my network manger now I can't connect to my wifi and I hve no internet cable either

GNOME has four redeeming features above others
>excellent ibus integration 所以我可以写汉语简体
>best wayland integration currently
>instant descending search in Nautilus
>recents list in Nautilus

Other than those it's a nightmare. Needs many extensions to make it remotely usable beyond launch browser watch youtube use. Customization is done in CSS in best case, obscure metacity-1 XML syntax in worst. Besides window focus is bonkers and StealMyFocus addon now longer works because it's apparently hardcoded now that when I open latest anime from Nautilus, it notifies me "lol u opened video file" instead of just brining it over Nautilus.

Sweeping statements that turn out to be false upon closer inspection is the air we breathe here on Sup Forums, user. It's how we learn and how we share. :3

gnome-shell was designed as if its primary use case would be tablets. Desktop use was always secondary.

The GNOME devs jumped on the tablet bandwagon after the iPad was a hit, and Microshaft tried to follow suit with Metro. What the GNOME devs didn't notice, and probably still haven't noticed, is that Microsoft gave up on the tablet-only meme pretty quickly and reverted back to desktop with tablet-mode support, because everyone else has realized that tablets are a terrible form for computing - they're a reasonable form for media consumption.

>why it let's you resize windows
so you can click them and use the program. That is all.

>ibus integration

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
Literally all you have to do.

>excellent ibus integration

But everyone uses fcitx now.

Really?

Why should I switch from ibus to fcitx 先輩?

Was joke. Only Chink use fcitx.

ctl + alt + (up / down) to switch between programs. Each program should be run in fullscreen on a separate workspace. I found it to be a good setup on 720p displays. I've since moved to i3wm and added ctl + alt + arrow as shortcut keys to switch between workspaces.

If you don't like it don't use it.

>xfeces
what year is it?

I'm using it on my Surface pro 3 and it works marvelously for me.

obviously its meant for touchscreen devices , dont know why you'd use it otherwise

Alt+` switches between windows within an application

Uninstall some of the major core gnome libraries and their dependents will be uninstalled automatically.

I do. It's the best DE I've used. It's very dissimilar to all other DEs which is why I love it so much.

It really comes into its own when you start to use multiple desktops. Using 3-4 desktops with it when you have a lot of work is a beautiful experience.

you're supposed to use extensions, user

>Does anyone actually use GNOME 3 unironically?

Nope. Everybody claiming to use Gnome is either a bot or a Gnome dev

>install 1111 dependncies DE that consumes over a billion Gigabyte RAM only for running itself

>having to learn over a gazillion of retarded key combinations for gaining basic functionality

>best wayland integration currently
Doesn't matter when Wayland is still half-cooked garbage.

I hate gnome, but key bindings are the best way to compute. What makes gnome shit are the retarded defaults and constantly removing features that you have to install an extension for.

>Gnome critics/XFCE babbies can't into reading the first page of the documentation
fucking lol, exposed

XFCE babbies can't get out of their Windows XP conditioning. Unable to use new technology. You guys are going to be like the old boomers of today who still use phonebooks. Hopeless.

What is nutbladder insurance and where can I buy it?

You will need to reinstall them all again for some program like GIMP +thousands of others. Resistance is futile. You might as well run GNOME as a DE anyway because you'll be loading it into memory regardless.

Gnome Shell is single threaded

actually, no.
most of the packages referenced by the virtual package gnome are gnome games and GUI interfaces for stuff that already has command line tools, like disk management, apt, and other garbage that can easily be removed.

Extensions adds everything that gnome 2.x had and that gnome team considered obsolete

Gnome flashback did that more so than extensions, but you still have access to newer features like activities overview if you use extensions.

>having to read documentation just to be able to use a DE