Worth it learn VIM or it just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode
joe-editor.sourceforge.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

worth it

WHY?

I want from editor to have macros (or some other repetition) and bindings to shell commands (pipe part of buffer as stdin, output stdout to buffer etc.), vi(m) can do this, but the keybindings are shit.

VIM is pure shit, only hipsters use that.

No. Just stick with nano

>learning a language to write other languages
>somehow not a meme

At the very least, you'll have a solid editor on any machine you ssh into. If you use it any further than that, you have repeatable edits & don't have to touch the mouse.

>don't have to touch the mouse
What editor makes you use the mouse?

No, learn emacs

Learn vim. The basics are no more difficult to learn than any other editor.

>don't have to touch the mouse.

top kek

because its fast, light, runs everywhere, its an actual TEXT EDITOR, no bullshit, no(t much) bloat (neovim is working further on this), its a way of life. you can run 1000+ instances of vim and still have enough RAM and CPU for all your shitposting needs

tfw installed emacs yesterday

I prefer it over emacs as the basic commands are easier than the chords used with emacs.

>using a text editor developed by a dutch cuck

Learn Vim or Emacs. Both are good, but you only need to learn one of them.

If you think you ever might want to use any lisp dialect, pick Emacs. If not, Vim is currently more trendy. But either will work.

> trusts more in an imaginary "being" than a human one
amen

agree with the lisp part, but Vim isnt "trendy", its just better for the reasons mentioned in

Vim is a great editor for macros. I record most of my short-term macros into the q register by pressing qq to start a macro then q to end it. To execute the q macro I have this binding:
noremap @q

So each time I press my space bar, the macro executes. VERY handy. I make and use macros so fast I might make and use 10 or more macros in a single minute. When it's so simple to create an ephemeral macro without even thinking they become a powerful editing tool for just about anything.

if you're touching your mouse while using vim you're doing something wrong,
now remove that ":set mouse=a" from your .vimrc and use vim for real

Vim is the best editor you can run through 'ssh' that isn't going to require some amount of setup or configuration to connect remotely.

I'd say Vim currently has the edge over emacs in adoption rate. I see Vim talked about far more often across the web, including more vim threads than emacs threads being created on Sup Forums.

There are some anti-emacs memes that aren't relevant anymore in CY+2. Like memory footprint; emacs is very light by modern standards, this isn't the 1980s anymore. Furthermore nobody uses straight up vi anymore, people use vim or neovim which both use more memory than vi did, closing the gap between Vi(m) and Emacs. Furthermore most people use Vim with lots of plugins which further increases the memory footprint to be close to Emacs. Emacs is still probably marginally bigger in ram usage, but BOTH of them are very small by modern standards.

As for vim but not emacs being on every machine, that's true. But it's also not particularly relevant. Emacs users use their local copy of Emacs to edit files on remote machines using Tramp Mode: emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode They don't need Emacs to be installed on remote machines.

Emacs has historically had some great advantages over Vim, such as a built-in terminal emulator, but neovim has closed that gap. Also Elisp is a better language than Vimscript (by MILES) but you can write vim plugins in python (or others, if you have support built for it) and you can write neovim plugins in ANY language using the msgpack-rpc API.

This all said, I use (neo)Vim and always have. I found learning Vim to be faster and easier than learning Emacs, and at the time I chose an editor I wasn't interested in Lisp (looking back, perhaps I'd do things differently since Lisp dialects are the only languages I still enjoy using...)

yfw I learned Vim so I could do all my coding with one hand and no mouse, because I was always so tired I had to hold up my head with one hand

nano

That is fucking adorable.

Nano is for absolute brainlets. At least use JOE ffs.

joe-editor.sourceforge.net/

I also think VimScript isnt a good language and would prefer some lisp dialect (just because i wanna learn lisp), but i understand why it became what it is: it completely fits in with ex
about the "its everywhere" part, its not just about working remotely: if someone asks you to take a look at some code on their computer, vi(m) is going to be there! (unless its windows (and maybe macos, not sure)). this happens to me a lot...

stfu, theres nothing wrong with なの. also, use ed

>first screenshot is cygwin
I vomited a little in my mouth

You're talking about the anime girl, right?

It makes sense why vimscript is the way it is, as you say it evolved in an organic fashion from ex. But it's still a really shitty language to use in practice. Even simple shit like "making a comment" has weird edge cases that will trip you up the first time you encounter them (hint: comments start with the " character, and can be placed at the end of lines. Except when they can't be. You can't put a comment at the end of a map line for instance)

Elisp is a shoddy lisp by most accounts, but it's miles ahead of vimscript. For an editor language, elisp is pretty great. As a general purpose lisp it's lacking but that's not what it's for.

My experience working with emacs users is that when you want them to take a look at your code, they ask you to send a CR and/or pull request, or else they just log into your machine (this works in the corporate environments that I've worked in, where workstation privacy is run on the honor system since anybody can log into any machine using Kerberos).

I use neovim, but JOE is plainly better than nano. There is no reason for a programmer to ever use nano; nano only exists for non-professional computer users.

Yeah I got that but just because it's easier to learn than Vi, faster to start than Emacs, and more powerful than Pico/Nano (e.g. it has ctags support for programming) I don't have to use it. I'd rather put a dildo up my butt and code with Emacs.

it's worth learning VIM because it's just a stage everyone has to go through

it's also important to not get stuck on this stage forever though

No. Not since the release of Spacemacs

If you already know emacs, there is no reason to use nano, no reason to learn joe, and not many good reasons to learn Vim (unless you want to avoid RSI :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

T-thank you, might try this at some weekend after some red wine.

I had a philosophy professor in college for a "ethics of computation" class I was forced to take that spent an entire week discussing teledildonics. Fucking lunatic.

I hated his class and behaved very poorly during it. He gave me a 100% on my final paper that I threw together in an hour in which I argued that a technological singularity would be a bad idea because anyone could fork a copy of you and subject you to incredible simulated torture. What a moronic thing to write about. He loved it, gave me a perfect score and I got an A in the class.

Learn vi first. Reason being - it's on every *nix system from the last 20 years (more but I doubt you'll encounter anything older).

>moronic thing to write
this is the plot of a Black Mirror episode and Altered Carbon

Count the number of vim and emacs shits, and you also count the number of pseudo complicated hello worlds they've fucking jerked decades into

So basically the plot of some anime that I wrote flippantly got me a perfect score on my final paper. Moronic confirmed.

My roommate who took the class with me was very salty. He spent all weekend on his paper trying to write it seriously and got a C.

That guy looks like an atom user

Perhaps your prof is just a sadist and that is why he loved it :^)

It's worth knowing your way around the vi(m) editor interface. You don't have to dedicate your life around it, just knowing how to do some quick editing just makes a lot of things so much simpler when you don't have access to other tools.

I'm a Linux admin so I spend a lot of the dicking around in config files with vim. For more complex code I'll use atom.

Space Patrol Luluco

micro is better

You shouldn't even be posting if you can't even casually handle vi.

>tfw had to put :set mouse=-a in multiple .vimrcs on servers
fucking savages, fuck visual

vim is amazing. I can't even program without a vim emulation IDE plugin.

Mouse is a better way to resize windows. That's just a fact.

That's the only thing mouse is good for in vim. Although to be honest, who resizes windows? It's just ^w-_, ^w-| and ^w-= that does all the resizing necessary.

It takes about an hour to learn the basics (vimtutor), so just go ahead and try it.

It's not everywhere, vi and vim aren't installed on debian by default, so it really depends on whether you're allowed to install programs on whatever you're SSHing into.

>vi and vim aren't installed on debian by default
(debian user here) wut?

They aren't. I've installed debian multiple times, and they aren't installed by default, not even on raspbian.

Which black mirror episode, if you don't mind? Is it any good?

if your default debian instalation doest come with vi youve been robbed. we advise you to get your money back.
im sure it comes at least on raspbian, because i dont always install vim on my rbpi
vim is one of the first things i install so maybe vanilla debian doesnt, but i doubt it...

white christmas if im not mistaken
imo the best black mirror ep so far

Not that poster, but White Christmas, people get implants that make copies of their consciousnesses and then use the copies to do chores for them (home automation shit). Black mirror is pretty good in general, and it's one of the best episodes imo, after the pedo one.

Well I'm not entirely sure about vi, but I'm certain vim isn't installed, I've recenlty SSHd into a rapsberry pi and it wasn't there. I use XFCE, maybe the explanation is that your DE of choice also pulls vim, although I find that unlikely.

yeah vim isnt installed by default, but vi is (elvis i think)

I assumed it's not installed because vi just launches vim for me, and vim wasn't installed by default.