Why should I spend 200 dollars on a 500GB SSD when I can get a 1TB HDD for a third the price?

Why should I spend 200 dollars on a 500GB SSD when I can get a 1TB HDD for a third the price?

muh speed

I've got an SSD in my desktop, it's faster, but not that much faster.

If I were to build my PC again I'd skip the SSD and put the money towards a better GPU or more RAM.

Why should I spend $300 on an i7 when I can get a pentium for a third of the price?

100 times faster, more reliable, when it breaks down after decades of use you can still read from it, less power consumption, less noise, smaller, less heat, more resistant to drops.

>"I've got an (shitty) SSD in my desktop"
ftfy

You're only going to get shitpost responses with a statement like that, user. But you're not wrong.

>less noise
also
>smaller
what

>when it breaks down after decades of use you can still read from it

You can read from it while the OS is still running. After a reboot it's as dead as dodo. Fun thing is that you'll usually have your OS on the drive, and when the SSD goes read-only, the OS will crash very quickly.

SSD is a meme

you should get a good HDD though, the entry level drives suck pretty bad

Newfaggotry: the post

when thumbdrives fail you can't read anything from them
different type of failure?

>One hundred times faster
No it isn't. My PC boots up in 15s of me SSD, my laptop takes under 50s on a 7200RPM HDD.

>More reliable
I've never had a storage device fail on me in my life, what the fuck do you do to your hard drives? Drop kick it across the room?

>Less noise
Don't press your ear against the side of your case and you won't hear it.
GPU, CPU, and system fans will already drown out HDD noise

>Smaller
What? yeah a 2.5" SSD IS SMALER THAN A 2.5" HDD WHOAAAAAAAH

>Less heat
Not true, depends on the SSD and HDD.

>More resistant to drops
The only valid point you've made

It's the dumbest shit, I can either limit my laptop to 240GB storage, I can either spend more than my laptop is worth, or I can upgrade my laptop to a 1TB Seagate HDD with 128MB cache for 75 bucks.

>not buying 1tb hdd + optane accelerator
low efficiency

that's why i keep a backup OS and a system backup in a second hdd
and only have just the main OS and programs in the SSD, so I can manage to set everything as before in minutes in a new ssd

>less noise
Are you trying to argue against this?

>smaller
"All" SATA SSDs are 2.5". Most desktop HDDs are still 3.5". Yeah, there are plenty of 2.5" HDDs, but they are notably slower and have a shorter lifespan.

>SSD is a meme
If you don't have a lot of money to put towards a build, an SSD should be a very low priority. But if you aren't terribly restricted budget-wise, SSDs are fine. Don't fall for the Sup Forums "hurrr is a meme" bullshit.

You're being pretty pedantic, user. As far as the sound thing is concerned, it must be nice to only have a couple drives. I have 4 SSDs in my tower and 4 3.5" HDDs. And you better fucking believe those things are easy to hear, even with the giant-ass Phanteks case I have.

And just to clear up any "hurr cheap drives" bull shit, they are pretty nice HGST drives, too.

Have you tried perhaps using your computer with a HDD? Everything is SLOW.

I accidentally reinstalled Battlefield 4 on my HDD and it takes years to load the maps. That's the most Sup Forums example I can give you, be it anything more relevant to Sup Forums and there is no question about it, HDDs belong to the 90s.

>4 HDDs
That's something most people don't have and don't need Satan.

Maybe not, but it doesn't negate the fact that using more than a single HDD is a "notably" noisier solution than 2+ SSDs.

Not a lot of noise, but hey, the original point was that SSDs are quieter, plain and simple.

My laptop boots up windows pro form 0 just in 6 seconds with a cheap chink SSD. (bottlenecked by the boot screen)
you are doing something wrong.

True enough.

My desktop has the classic 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD setup but I'm wishing I'd gone with a couple of 1TB drives for almost the same price since my room fury drowns out all other noise in my PC so I don't even know what HDD noise is anymore.

>MUH GAYMES
Go away Sup Forumsermin scum.

>spend 200 dollars on a 500GB SSD
Since you're asking that question in that way you probably shouldn't.

But you should definitively get an SSD, they are much faster. This only matters for your GNU/Linux or Windows installation and the programs and games you play. If a 500 GB SSD is too expensive for you then get a 120 GB or a 240 GB SSD and a 1-3 TB HDD for storage. You don't need an SSD to store music and movies. It's a different story if you're editing videos, though.

> you can still read from it
This depends and can't be relied on. Some SSDs die in a way that makes them give zero response over SATA. No reading data or even smart output.

I know 2.5"'s are slower and more expensive but they are actually a good choice if you're going to have 4 of them in RAID or something. Sounds silly, I know, but if you've listened to 4 2.5"'s next to 4 3.5"'s in pretty much the same configuration then you'd know why they are worth considering. Using 3.5"'s with lower RPMs is also helpful.

enjoy your data loss.

Because 500 is a lot more than 1

What if op has a laptop? Most only have one storage bay iirc.