Is libreboot a meme?

is libreboot a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918).
me.bios.io/ME_blob_format#.24MCP_container_for_modules)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ask Sup Forums

maybe

I'm from Sup Forums and whereas I cannot ever agree with transgenderism I do agree with this tranny's project in libreboot. But tranny SJW drama should never be promoted on the libreboot website. That was very bad form.

Use coreboot
trannyboot is a fork of coreboot that adds GPLv3 and SJW into the mix

How can you ask whether libreboot is a meme or not? It's a BIOS that will never allow proprietary firmware. Of course it's not just a fucking meme you stupid shitlord.

Why do you need so many of the fuckers? libreboot only loosely protects you from Management Engine, nothing more.

Transgenderism and SJWism is obviously wrong, but what's wrong with GPLv3?

>nothing more

Of course it does something more you idiot. It also protects you from all of the other proprietary hardware and firmware installed.

where do i get a skin for my x220

And what makes you think all firmware and hardware is out to steal your babies? Also, what are you doing to be a worth while target? I would say torrenting games, but games don't work on that asperg pseudo secure shit.

>is libreboot a meme?
Depends on whether or not you want all of the software in your system to be open source. If you're just worried about security then use Coreboot with SeaBIOS on a ThinkPad T420 or X220 and use ME Cleaner to strip down the Intel ME firmware. This will isolate it from your OS networking stacks and your memory, so that it's only doing basic hardware init, power management, and controlling the 30 minute watchdog so that you don't have the bootloop problem that occurs when you fully remove the ME or its firmware.

Sent from my Libreboot T400.

If you don't like tranny faggots fucking up good projects then look into Coreboot.

>inb4 why are Coreboot and Libreboot different
Libreboot is all FLOSS, whereas Coreboot will integrate some non-free binaries to ensure that all hardware actually works. All of the core parts of Coreboot are FLOSS and it's great if you value your security over pure freetard ideology.

My main concern is getting rid of malicious "features" like coprocessors that phone home to the CIA niggers. Whichever one you choose, Libreboot or Coreboot, you can sleep well knowing that they both strip out all of that AMT horse shit which is a huge step up from the stock BIOS already. But with Coreboot you just have to go a step further to gut the ME yourself while Libreboot does this automatically.

maybe they are pirating movies or music lol. Fucking ass holes

>endorsed by Sup Forums
>not a meme

lol

Definitely worth the hardware hax, wait until Taylor Swift hears about this!

oy vey! she is gonna be fucking roasted

no man should have this kind of power desu senpai

>And what makes you think all firmware and hardware is out to steal your babies?

I didn't say anything of the sort, but not all of it but some of it has without question been proven to contain malicious functionality. Those that haven't, what do we really know about what capabilities are written in if the software cannot be reviewed or investigated properly? To trust the vendor is a massive gamble that I simply do not wish to undertake.

>Also, what are you doing to be a worth while target?

Nothing whatsoever. But that's completely beside the point. Why are companies including malicious functionalities in their firmware in the first place? Whether they are or they aren't is often ambiguous or outright hidden. Eliminating those risks as much as possible is obviously beneficial.

Are the libreboot installation instructions harder than they should be to anyone else, kinda like they don't really want you to libreboot anything on your own?

>open source
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Why are companies including malicious functionalities in their firmware in the first place?
full spectrum dominance
it's also going to be useful in their attempt at establishing a new world order

You answered the last question without answering the question, unless you are up to something illegal then it shouldn't matter who sees. I could hand my laptop to the police without a single worry, because I don't commit crime.

Thats the point, they wan't you to buy it pre-installed on one of their second hand refurbished machines, so they can bump up the price for added jew gold.

I'm installing libreboot, and gnu-linux libre, and all the privacy stuff for fun. Is there a problem with me doing it for fun?

Shut up, freetard.

>installing software
>fun

Oh boy, I can't wait for the next Windows update, that shits better than sex with a drugged twink

It's literal cancer.

>better than sex with a drugged twink
kek

It's not just plainly installing software though. I also get to have fun messing around with the hardware, and put the concepts, and technologies into practical use. I'm sorry, but this is what I consider fun. It's also exciting to me in a sense.

You're a moron. What may be legal today may be illegal tomorrow. Do you have any idea who writes legislation in this day and age? Do you honestly trust them to not make something that should be perfectly legal, illegal?

The "If you're not doing anything wrong then you've got nothing to hide" argument is a beaten and tired out argument that has thoroughly tried itself and failed. Not just because of the facts that I've written in the first paragraph, but for other important reasons as well.

dem carbon thinkpad cases tho

>Thats the point, they wan't you to buy it pre-installed on one of their second hand refurbished machines, so they can bump up the price for added jew gold.
This explains why the coreboot tuts, are easier to follow.

Just admit you download cp

Why do you faggots think typewriter manufacturers are making record sales?

Nothing is safe. Not even open sores.

No.

Normie please kill yourself.

Why? I'm not saying it isn't, but why do you say it is?

Hackerman for sure
Open sores have always been risky and prone to infection.

>This will isolate it from your OS networking stacks and your memory, so that it's only doing basic hardware init, power management, and controlling the 30 minute watchdog
Have they proven this or do they just assume that the malicious functionality is all gone?

You seem angrier than you should be, and angry at the wrong people.

I don't, though. And nor have I ever. Just because you're against mass corporate or state espionage targeting their customers or citizens that does not mean that you're doing anything immoral or illegal yourself. If you cannot see the dangers inherent in proprietary firmware and non-free software then I really don't know what else to say to you.

I think you misunderstood. I'm and I'm just curious about how ME cleaner goes about blocking the ME from doing shit

Just bought a clip because of this thread, actually.

Can't wait for Libreboot on my X220

If you use ME Cleaner with the stock BIOS and leave AMT in place it'll utterly break its network reliant features, and most other things too. I've done limited testing myself. It also completely disappears from your PCI devices and when your try to use a BIOS update tool on some HP laptops under Windows it comes up with an error which provides a log saying that the Intel ME firmware checks failed. These are all great signs.

Also keep in mind that the ME firmware is highly modular and there is some documentation from Intel for manufacturers that tells them which things go where, which is how we know what to remove in the first place.

What does that clip do?

>I think you misunderstood
Yea I might have clicked on accident.
>Just bought a clip because of this thread, actually.
Nice. What board are you going to be using?

>unless you are up to something illegal then it shouldn't matter who sees
Go post a copy of your hard drive online so I can download it and look through it.

Flash the bios like pic related
X220, my baby, my love

Should I coreboot my X220?

Pretty sure you can flash an X220 from the OS.

Do you need a bios flashing chip if using libreboot ?

>What does that clip do?
You place the clip on your motherboard's bios chip, and use that to easily attach the wires to the bios chip, and the spi flasher. It's a connector used to flash bios.
>X220, my baby, my love
Neat. I'm trying a w500.
sure why not.

Lets you have access to the contents of your BIOS ROM.

If your motherboard is supported in flashrom then you can flash from the OS. Otherwise you need to externally flash. I would recommend doing it externally anyways in case you fuck it up and need to try again.

If it's already installed you can flash updates from the OS. If you're going to install it for the first time you should use an external flashing device.

Nope as far as I can tell, From coreboot wiki:
>ME firmware is not readable. Vendor firmware locks the flash and so you need to flash externally (unless until someone figures out a way around it).
Yes unless you are using thinkpad t60 or x60 (I think, double check that though)

>ME firmware is not readable.
That's actually incorrect. Sometimes you can access it.

>maybe
Why

It would be good if a guy like ESR would be in charge of the project (he ourguy: esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918).

The comic is true, after all.

>Also, what are you doing to be a worth while target?
Personally, I might not be a target,
but the Tor nodes I run certainly are.

Apparently the guys who worked on the reserve_hap trick found out that if module loading fails, it prematurely activates that mode
I remember reading that it doesn't work on laptops though, so who knows

plus the ME firmware literally has modules named $MMEwlan (me.bios.io/ME_blob_format#.24MCP_container_for_modules)
If they're not intentionally misleading, removing them (and things like $MMENET_*) should gut your ME enough to break it's integration with your network interfaces

There is sadly no coreboot for my x240

REEEEEEEEEEE
it's not a fork

cute!

X220 Libreboot when

You are running Tor nodes in 2017? Yeh, you definitely do actually need security, although I imagine a few million state backed Russian and Chinese hackers are already following you though. Seriously, being part of the Tor network in this day and age is not a good idea, you've probably provided more bandwidth to law enforcement than real users, considering most of Tor is just police, governments and spies.