French in 2016

Give me justifications to really learn French. So far I've got:

+ Easy on the ears
+ If I can handle Japanese, I can handle French.
+ Mathematical literature (look up the Bourbaki group)

- Can't think of much that would super appeal to me about France really. I just like Yelle and fashion.
- Other Americans are given the impression you're a snob shithead and hate you
- French will never take you seriously
- Canadians will never take you seriously
- Anglosphere culture and memes are everywhere and I can't escape it no matter how hard I try and English is the lingua franca for a reason

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_France
youtube.com/watch?v=7IiLZ0dvDWU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_organisations_which_have_French_as_an_official_language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

+internationally useful diplomatic language
one of two main united nations languages
+tons of vocabulary directly related to English
+Spoken in more than 20 countries and widely understood in Europe as a 2nd language
+ability to visit and live in France, one of the best countries in the world
+ability to shitpost quebecois (french canadians) in their own language

-somewhat hard to learn, harder than Spanish
-french will assume you are English / British with your accent
-absolutely ridiculous irregular verb tenses

Do you really think Americans have the impression that french speaking americans are snob shitheads? I speak French fluently and am an ardent francophile, do you think others judge me because of this?

Pretty stupid imo

Why the fuck would you do that?

Get women in your bed?
alright

literally no reason at all

there's no relevant french imageboard

>Do you really think Americans have the impression that french speaking americans are snob shitheads?
Yep lol

> do you think others judge me because of this?
Yep lol

French is almost as bad as Japanese when it comes to the judgmental, fragile egos of Americans.

>Give me justifications to really learn French

I can't really think of any. It's kinda redundant to learn French because English inherited a ton of French words when the French were enslaved by Anglo-Normans.

J'ai appris le francais parce que j'aime ton coq

blagues aside, franchement ta langue est utile.

I don't even have a thing for French women. They're not bad I guess??? But Japanese did get me laid so whatevs.

+ You can be a top-tier sommelier
- the job doesn't pay well

>when the French were enslaved by Anglo-Normans

whew lad, you are literally retarded as fuck

Normans come from Normandy which is a department of France. Normans invaded England and enslaved the britons, installing French as the court language for hundreds of years in "England".

Amerifat education 0/10

Ma langue est utile quand elle fait mouiller le vagin d'une fille.

you fell for it

>a department of France
Is English your first language?

It's not about French women
It's about every women.

>you fell for history

j'utilise ta langue souvent quand je besoin de laver ma bite, mec

you never know with americans. can't wait to gtfo of burger land and move to Marseille

>department of france
>are you American

yes I am, fat fuck. Did you know that other countries have other ways of administering their territory?

Or did you presume that all countries had states. Whew lad

I won't start with this
just know they were plantagenets and speaking french in the english castles

Jeez, what did I say to get you so riled up?

>you never know with americans
Stop embarrassing us.
Region is the first word that came to mind. I looked it up and I don't see Normandy listed as a department. Please don't say "I was only pretending to be retarded."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departments_of_France

>It's about every women.
Explain.

Shut the fuck up, slave.

>weeaboo
>ouiaboo

Makes you really think....

>Do you really think Americans have the impression that french speaking americans are snob shitheads? I speak French fluently and am an ardent francophile, do you think others judge me because of this?
Yes, absolutely. You're too autistic to pick up on the revulsion and disgust but I assure you it is there. That's a whole other side of myself I feel like I have to hide if I really want to put on appearances and do the social climbing thing. If it explains anything I live in the SF Bay Area and I'm surrounded by blowhard startup and tech people

Not your tongue, your language. French women love americains who speak French with a heavy accent.

Normandy is divided into 5 departments lad

I wasn't pretending to be retarded

The French are the biggest weeaboos in Europe It's alright. They have good taste and a respectable animation/comic scene of their own.

>absolutely ridiculous irregular verb tenses
you rarely use them though

no one uses the plural forms of passé simple, for example

I fail to see your point. Hiding the fact that you are bilingual isn't going to hurt your chance at career progression. Who the fuck cares if someone views you as pretentious?

You're just mad because you have to hide the fact that you unironically like pipe tobacco and listen to Animal Collective.

>slave

but why?

>subjonctif

nightmare material right here, grenouille canadien

>pipe tobacco
I don't smoke.

>Animal Collective
No idea what that is. Had to google.

i think you can get away with a lot by just writing stuff differently

if you have no idea what tense would work, just try to think about a different way to write or say something

I assumed you were a hipster

What the point in learning French when you have Spanish?

Mexican spanish is vomit inducing cringe

French is pleasant to the ears

In the US, Spanish is by-and-large associated with Mexico and I want absolutely nothing to do with those people or their culture. Fuck Latin America in general.

Fuck you too you pathetic piece of shit.

>tfw there is no Russian accent in Spanish because Latin American and especially Mexican Spanish have the same set of sounds with Russian
>tfw in USA you could say you're from Argentina
Feels god, m8

build wall when?

+you can listen to jordy
-you can listen to jordy

youtube.com/watch?v=7IiLZ0dvDWU

Tell us what you do with your French abilities, since you seem to be an enthusiastic advocate.

Socially? Professionally? Academically?

I lived in France for almost two years
>Obtained french gf
>Able to work in Europe
>Eligible and about to begin graduate in school in Europe, paying 1/100th the price of an American degree

Whew lad, french sucks amirite

What about socially? How much of that French was learned between the sheets

Congrats on the gf and school.

most of it was learned from highschool / college, but honestly becoming fluent in any language requires full immersion.

Having a gf that speaks minimal English also helps of course. You considering learning French?

>You considering learning French?
Yeah. I'm the OP and the person that wrote these replies.
I did Japanese and had a great time in Japan socially and romantically. Never been to Europe though, and I wouldn't mind doing that whole thing again in another continent on (relative) easy mode before I get too old.

Why learn an obsolete frog language when you already speak the master race of languages?

We have the oldest litterature written in our language proper of all europe.

You can read 14th century texts using the original version. Try doing that in english or any other language.

Yeah but dude french is gay af lmao

we make the best comics and they aren't translated

What's so good about French comics?

I saw some old medieval artwork from French and I could translate all (but one) of the words with my highschool French. When you see old medieval artwork from England, it's in fucking latin.

Aside from Disney Comics, the only ones I ever read as a child were Francophone. You really are the best at them.

They just are laid back and have good humor.
the artwork also vary strongly depending of the artist.

>tfw can barely handle Spanish, let alone any other language
>tfw you will always be a meme monolingual American
>tfw will never be able to communicate with Euros in their native tongue (the UK doesnt count)

My French is pretty bad but I think I can read reasonably alright if I take my time. I love the art, especially on the last pic you posted. Where could I buy some of these?

Here's something 60% of them will never admit themselves. They fucking hate when we attempt to speak their language. That's why a lot of them are discouraging, albeit subtly.

Any Anglo can learn a Romance language after a few years. 2/3rds of our vocabularly is derived from French or Latin. Honestly all it takes is dedication.

Even though it's not the best resource, Duolingo can be good for getting your foot in the door. If you couple completing that with watching/reading media in French or Spanish, learning all the verbs and talking to people online you'll probably get to a conversational level fairly quickly.

>Marseille
Why ?

Because le King Louis le roses le.

Hijacking this thread for a moment, do you guys have any recommendations on french speaking podcast and/or yourube channels (tech, science, news, whatever)?
(i already read the wiki, there's no recommendations for this topics)

also is there such a thing like a frenchan?

>when the French were enslaved by Anglo-Normans

doubt.jpg

I try listening to interviews of famous French singers and stuff to learn French but a lot of them are blocked in my country.

>some obsessed anglos unironically made this pic

wew

Our superiority really makes me think

Not the first time I read this

Do you really think that, anons ?

ever tried using a vpn like hola or something?

I'll ignore everything here.

You are an American, in theory Spanish would be a "better" choice, however if you have no interest in Mexican people or don't think it will ever be of use to you then French is probably your best option.

French is easy
>Its not like you are learning Mandarin or Russian it shouldn't be too hard, its not Italian easy but you can make good progress under a year so therefore its not a huge investment.

French is elitist
>Learning French may be considered snobby or whatever in the U.S. BUT who cares really? People who are important or relevant in the real world likely went to good schools that valued languages like French, upper-class people aka those who might get you somewhere in life respect it

French is global
>Yes lots of this in Africa but it is also spoken in Belgium/France/Luxembourg/Canada the MENA region has a large French leftover area and some of that isn't complete shit. If you want to work with a foreign institution then English is the official language, and French will also be 80%
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_organisations_which_have_French_as_an_official_language

French gives you good stuff
>French culture has always been near the top in terms of food, film, literature. French people don't like translating out of their language so you will unlock some cool stuff and gain a better understanding of the translated stuff.

French is the language learners language.
>French is still probably the most widely learned language in the world, maybe Spanish is closing in some places but French will always be popular this is the case even in places like Asia where France is still more mystical. If you go somewhere abroad and something is translated French will almost always be one of the ones they do it into. Also you will always be able to find someone no matter were you go who has an interest in France or knows some French.

.t Organisation internationale de la Francophonie

Not really though its good

To follow up unless you have a severe interest in a hard language Japanese (weeb), Korean (k-gf 2016), Arabic (oil? money), Russian (cool points), Mandarin (deluded idiot who thinks learning this shit for 4 years is a good ROI for their career but will end up in China hating their life. picrelated).

You really only have a choice of Spanish, Port, French, German and Italian

Italian (Easy as fuck but basically French but without the relevance)

Port (if you buy into the BRIC meme and want to live in Brazil (?) )

Spanish (Good for yanks or Spain, or living in Muder-land)

German (Probably my second choice here, however it lacks the international presence of French and while its widely spoken in Europe Germans are usually better at English and while they speak standard German everywhere variants of it exist, also imo its harder and doesn't allow you learn other useful languages after cos Germanic tree is weak).

you need it to enter the diplomatic service I think

Based Lewis Trondheim, ralph azham is also awesome