RAM

16GB is not enough, even for web browsing

it is if you're not being an idiot :^)

Not using gentoo in 2017

OP is a faggot

chrome is shit, yeah, but why the fuck do you need all that open

stop being a hoarder and keeping 100+ tabs open.

learn to bookmark things you will revisit.
that's why they exist.

if you're too lazy to deal with bookmarks, then use chrome's history to revisit tabs you've closed.

its so fucking stupid to have a bunch of sites open you're not even actively reading

RAM my ass daddy

>43 tabs
no shit.

Or atleast save sessions, christ.

no amount of ram will be enough for idiots

Op is clearly using too much ram on single tabs so it's obviously made up by them. Noone is retarded enough to use so much ram on modern webpages.

Firefox doesn't have this problem.

>2GB mem use
but that's basically the same as Chrome.
The only 'problem' is that you need to learn how to not have a billion tabs open.

>op has a lot fewer tabs and over 4GB of memory used by chrome
>basically the same as chrome

>stop being a hoarder and keeping 100+ tabs open.
no
>learn to bookmark things you will revisit.
>that's why they exist.
bookmarks suck, it takes way longer to save a bookmark or delete a bookmark than it does to open a tab, and most of the tabs will be closed out in a couple days anyway. Plus why would I want to have to scroll through thousands of bookmarks to find something when it can be right there all the time until I'm done with it
>if you're too lazy to deal with bookmarks, then use chrome's history to revisit tabs you've closed.
when you open and close hundreds of tabs that isn't so simple
>its so fucking stupid to have a bunch of sites open you're not even actively reading
I am actively reading them, just not at the same time

>tfw 32GB RAM
>literally can't run out of memory no matter how hard I try

Feels gud

I dont understand how people do this. I never have more than 3 tabs open at any time.

And I don't understand how you can have so LITTLE tabs open at a time.

How on earth do you do it?!

Right now I have 136 tabs open in Chrome, split across 40 windows on 4 separate virtual desktops. (I have 15 virtual desktops open doing other things; I'm only using 4 for Chrome.)

I had something like 280 tabs open a couple days ago. Every few days I go through and slowly cull everything down as I bookmark stuff.

Here's my problem. I have 2GB RAM, which is the maximum this laptop will handle. (Upgrading is not an option; haz no moneys, cannot work, and cannot get out of the house to Interactâ„¢.)

That's the reason I go through everything only every few days - actually closing tabs literally takes days. It took two days to go from 280 down to ~120 tabs because this thing is SO. INCREDIBLY. SLOW.

Right now I have everything split into a rough semblance of order. Most of everything that's still open are things I haven't gotten to yet (which are active to-do items) or things I'm not sure how to bookmark yet.

The reason I'm both careful and reluctant with bookmarking is that - I just checked via chrome://sync-internals/ - I have 32353 bookmarks. Bookmarking _also_ takes an absolute age for the browser to do, because Chrome's bookmarking system is unfortunately very molasses-ey and stupid.

In 2008 I was using Firefox on a machine with 512MB RAM, and had similar issues. The problem with that (IBM ex corporate desktop, ie garbage) machine was that its disk I/O was all synchronous: the entire system bus stopped until the ATA "ack" came back from the disk. So for example running updatedb in Linux would make the X11 cursor pretty much lock up, or move around the screen at 5fps.

(cont)

cont I'd open progressively more and more tabs, until I had about 70 open, at which point everything would abruptly crawl to a halt. Then it would be a case of hitting CTRL+SHIFT+D (5 minutes), clicking OK on the popup (15 seconds for the button to finally become pressed in, 2 minutes for it to finally disappear), CTRL+SHIFT+ESC (2-4 minutes), select Firefox (4 seconds), End Task. Then restart firefox and skip restoring.

Yes. That is how I browsed in 2008.

The problem is that browsers basically say "here, open unlimited tabs" but they provide no mechanism to suspend things and manage tabs that aren't actively in use. I already use The Great Suspender for Chrome (this laptop can only have about 10 tabs actually "open" before it seizes up, thankfully less disasterously than the IBM box) but it's full of bugs which I have to deal with.

Firefox didn't help here; neither does Chrome. Extensions are not the answer, because they just use extra RAM, and they only have access to the APIs the browser exposes. In this case Chrome's bookmark API provides no fast way to manage 30k bookmarks. And I don't want to use an online service - just look at del.icio.us for justification of why I refuse to do that, it has switched to a model where you cannot freely browse other people's bookmarks anymore!

(cont - one more)

One day I discovered bookmarks. My tab count dropped to 2 on average.

You have much to learn young one.

cont (That's new, I've never had recaptcha show the checkbox as red on me before, and refuse to let me click it)

I'm very very interested to learn more about ways to actively solve these kinds of issues.

Because here's the thing: the laptop I'm on right now is a spare machine I won't be using permanently, and I also have another laptop. The other laptop is a bit faster than this one, and has 4GB. I don't use it as much as this one though - so I close tabs on it less often. AFAIK, it has 643 tabs open at the moment.

I also have a couple of other PCs - one has 4GB RAM, the other 8GB. The one with 8GB is on indefinite loan to a family member until they get a new laptop. Eventually I'll be able to get that one back, but I'll be able to get the 4GB desktop up and running soon as well. That has an i3 in it and will be able to handle Chrome's thrashing a lot better than this ThinkPad does.

I used to be using the 8GB machine (when it too had 4GB) a lot, and I remember being able to open nearly 1000 tabs on that box before it keeled over completely.

The reason is quite obivous: I don't want to "close" tabs. I want the browser to do it for me.

I like absorbing and cataloging tons and tons of information so that I can improve my worldview. I do most of my reading on sites like Hacker News, where I'll open easily 20 or 30 articles at a time. Most of the things I find on there (each of which I open in a new tabs) will produce new trains of thought, and each idea will get opened a in new tab of its own - and before I know it I have on the order of 150 new tabs open.

That's simply how some people browse the web. It's so so sad that browsers use a process model to handle tabs _and_ don't also provide a suspension/hibernation mechanism. Tab hibernation is totally possible, and would solve SO MANY problems... I honestly don't understand why no browser vendor has implemented it.

:(

tldr stop opening 100 tabs on decade-old PCs

why don't you just download more ram? that's what i did and now i have 6,000,000 jews in the ovens with no problem at all.

I've seen glimpses of some people's bookmark collections; they're incredibly tidy.

I have no idea how to achieve that within a heirarchial folder structure, which is what all browsers use. None use a tagging approach, which has been the obvious approach since the mid 2000s.

I use a simple (way too simple; quite braindead) extension to let me type a folder name to put items in. I tend to open it multiple times (each time it takes at least 5 seconds to open... argh). So I put the same thing in multiple folders in order to get "tagging".

But get this: Chrome's bookmark export system deduplicates on export! So in order to export my bookmarks I have to directly dump Chrome's SQLite History file. >.<

The machine with 8GB RAM which I hope to get back at some point is from 2015. This machine had more slowdown issues than my current ThinkPad does, actually.

After some headscratching I realized this might be because I'm using 32-bit Chrome on here and 32-bit pointers et al use less cumulative memory than on 64-bit. (AFAIK Chrome doesn't use the 64-bit-with-32-bit-pointers model. *shrug*) I'm not entirely sure though.

I actually tried that a while ago, but found that the extra RAM could only be used by Google Ultron. So that worked until the ultron build stopped appearing on the update servers :(

>I'm not entirely sure though
Probably because you try to open and close 200 tabs at once on garbage machines? Not that you'll stop anyway. You sound autistic

I was killing 70 tabs at a time in 2008. I thankfully haven't needed to do that ever since

And as I've been trying to explain (twice now...), I have on average a better user experience on this 11 year old machine than I did on a 2 year old machine. Psychology is interesting.

Openbox doesn't have this problem

Stupid thread, I hope you get aids OP.

All the tabs to the right in pic related are YouTube.
All the tabs to the left in pic related are other 4chad tabs.
I have 16GB too.
It took more toll on the CPU to load them all up than it did on the RAM.
What the fuck, OP.

>forgetting the pic
>2018-1

You still should have 10 tabs open, max.

It's like going to the deli and getting 3 tickets for 1 meat each.

>install adblocker (ublock origin from gorhill)
>ram usage in chrome gets cut down by 300%

Oh don't worry, I purposely opened those all up to see what the fuck OP was talking about.
I typically have 1-5, a YouTube video or music, and then maybe a few Sup Forums threads.

>learn how to not have a billion tabs open.

Some people are not going to believe this but whatever.

I used to have 2000-4000 tabs open at a time, got as far as ~8000 iirc, this was on firefox. I don't think they were ever loaded at once though, I used to save the session so they loaded at startup. This went on for many years but due to happenings in my life (not hardware or performance related) I stopped this habit and, now, when I'm done for the day I just delet every tab and start a new session in the morrow.

I think you need an addon like the "Great Suspender" or something. Chrome devs are incompetent when it comes to ram usage so someone else always has to cover their asses.

Wow. Nice. That is kind of awesome :>

Do Bookmarks automatically delete themselves after you have read them?

For me bookmarks are the place where websites die and never get looked at again.
I have 310 bookmarks and I visited like 10 of those. If I'd use bookmarks instead of tabs then I'd have 10000 new bookmarks every year to sort through. Tell me please how you manage that many bookmarks.

It seems to me that just using 100 tabs is simpler and less time consuming than managing 10000s of bookmarks.

testing

Oh, shit. Thought you were OP. I'm fucking stupid.

(You)

>scroll through

Search functions exist you faggot