Okay fuckers tell me why i should switch from nvim to emacs

Okay fuckers tell me why i should switch from nvim to emacs

can you first tell me why I should switch from vim to nvim

Asynchronous processing, cleaner code base, terminal emulator built in

Meant for

Seconded. NeoVim is like the mplayer2 of mpv/mplayer.
Wait, this is Emacs we're talking about, right?

No, nvim i didn't quote the user above be

>asynchronous processing
Needless for text editing.
>terminal emulator built-in
For what purpose?!

i'm not telling you to switch but i personally like it for it's plugins.

Sure, with a smaller amount of features, more external libraries, and a heavy dose of Not Invented Here.

Compiling things while you continue editing in the same vim instance is pretty useful. Terminal emulation for the same reason
Ok. user asked and I responded

>compiling your code inside a text editor
Fucking hell.

>>asynchronous processing
>Needless for text editing.
Ironically, asynch would be great for Emacs. Part of a flaw of elisp, and attempts to add threading to Emacs are hackey at best. The tragedy of this is that things like w3 and other big emacs plugins simply aren't viable. Talk about a serious bottleneck. Although, a small part of me is still deeply wary of it all. How many programs are actually well optimized for multithreading?

It works just fine

>Compiling things while you continue editing in the same vim instance is pretty useful. Terminal emulation for the same reason
Why not just open up a new terminal?

You have the option to do that as well, it's not like it's either/or.

You could also butter your toast with a hammer but that's simply not what it was made for and there are much better tools for the task. Don't be a fool.

So you mean nvim can work like a terminal emulator? Sounds like Emacs minus the extensensibility. More like one of those emacsen that tries to be light at the expense of features.

I'm basically ignorant about all these editors so you can shill pretty much anything at me so long as you clearly describe why I ought to use one over another

I've been using vim for the past month because it was the easiest and simplest to start using, next to nano

It's a command in the terminal. It's not hard user.

Why would you downgrade from Vim to nano? That's just absurd. If you're going to switch to something, at least make it a vaguely respectable text editor like Emacs.

I think he means vim is the next easiest to learn after nano. Not that he was going to switch to nano

>emacs
>vim
lol brainlets

t. nano masterrace

Yeah, that guy clearly an idiot. But, for the record, why would that be a significant feature? Of all the things nvim does, is that really the most significant? Most people who use vi clones don't exactly expect a lot from a text editor, as opposed to an IDE.

Oh, yeah. It's weird that I read it like that. English is a weird language.

It offers other things as well. Read the site for the full list. I just listed the ones I recall off the top of my head

ambiguity is what makes language impossible for machines to translate

Will I need to remember this for when the AI uprising happens?
Well, the greater point I was trying to make was that this thread is kind of weird. I mean, what vi user of any caliber really cares that much about an editor. Emacs is a special exception, not to mention rather niche nowadays. Everyone knows that vim takes up most of the market.

Right. The issue is is vim is run by a BDFL which isn't a bad thing, but he's rejecting adding things that the community wants. Also, when he dies the development for vim stops. Nvim is intended to be a continuation, and in addition to the cleaner code base more open to feedback from the community

>For what purpose?!
for directly sending parts of your code to any repl
kinda like poor mans lisp repl
thats really the only thing i use it for

>using nvim
>not using vim
Get the fuck off of Sup Forums before your vagina discharges all over this thread.

The front-end to GDB is pretty comfy in Emacs.

I literally don't see anydifference.
Both don't come preinstalled.
They both are better than vim in regard of devs behind them.
Both have terrible user interfaces and input scheme from both practical and UX designer POV.
Both are hold hostage by their terrible ideas of extendability. Welp, still better than vim, I guess.
Both still can't open really big text files and/or with long lines, crippling their potential as TEXT EDITORS, while even jEdit and VS Code and NPP are better at this.

Changing from one to the other literally does nothing.

calm down Bram, better clean up your repo, internationalisation doesn't belong into an extra folder

But vim does come preinstalled. In fact, most distros don't even ship vi anymore; they just symlink vi to vim.

>Both have terrible user interfaces and input scheme from both practical and UX designer POV.
What the hell kind of standards do you have for a CLI application? That's just a ridiculous assertion. If that were true, then there wouldn't be so many vi emulators in the World, on every website you go to, all the software you use, your Firefox extensions. Vi keys are only second to Emacs, really, and that's only because of bash.
>Both are hold hostage by their terrible ideas of extendability. Welp, still better than vim, I guess.
You keep on making these grand assertions but don't even explain why. Nvim, even Vim, are so much different from Emacs in the way they approach extension--their users have significantly different views towards extensibility compared to Emacs users.
>Both still can't open really big text files and/or with long lines, crippling their potential as TEXT EDITORS, while even jEdit and VS Code and NPP are better at this.
Not true.
>Changing from one to the other literally does nothing.
There are blatant differences. You have to be seriously dim not to see any distinction. And they aren't exactly nuanced distinctions, either. Have you been living under a rock?

What a load of bullshit.

The fuck is nvim

any software that has an event loop should use IO in a non-blocking or async fashion, unless you like thread starvation and stalling software like much of FOSS/GNU software

>What the hell kind of standards do you have for a CLI application?
Measurably good ones.
>lunatic rambling how a lot of retards that don't know what they are doing and autists (the same thing once you think about it) parrot outdated keybindings because they lack the brainpower to come up with something better and therefore so should you
ok

>Nvim, even Vim, are so much different from Emacs in the way they approach extension
They really don't. They all relish using some shitty ad hoc scripting language everyone and my dog could create better until it crashes and then hope to call out to some other process.
Nvim doesn't improve that much.
The correct way is of course naturally obviously having a native plugin system from day 1 that gets direct access to the text buffer and leave scripting shit to automation macros.
In fact, emacs recognized this holy fact and half-assed some plugin API in last year or so. Just now, that it is too late and all substantial extensions are written in elisp.

>Not true.
It is true.
A couple of megs aren't big files, user. If you don't believe me go check out the text editor benchmarks on github.

>There are blatant differences. You have to be seriously dim not to see any distinction. And they aren't exactly nuanced distinctions, either. Have you been living under a rock?
>What a load of bullshit.
>t. brainlet

Why should I switch to guile-emacs from emacs?

Notepad master race.

Why are you using guile emacs?

The main attraction of Emacs is Lisp. It replaces your workflow and applications with Emacs Lisp utilities.
If you want to sell your soul to the parentheses and in return gain blistering development pace, unparalleled code generation/editing macros, and black-magic-like flexibility, then switch to Emacs.

If you don't want to learn Lisp, or are productive enough that taking time to learn a new editor isn't worth it, then stick with Vim.

Also fyi Emacs has evil-mode, which might be a better fit than re-learning a bunch of slower keyboard shortcuts.

There's an emacs command for that, not sure why you're asking here.

does nvim have a gui yet?

It has a lot of GUIs. Nyaovim. Gonvim. Neovim-Qt. Plenty of others that I can't remember the name of but that you can find in neovim's github repo.

οh cool and how's the feature parity with regular vim?

maybe because emacs doesnt bug you to feed children in uganda

>Needless for text editing.
You've clearly never repeated a vim macro a significant amount of times

I know you thought this was really funny when you found out last week but it's time to go back to Sup Forums now

Why would you need a gui? The entire point of the editor is to not use the mouse