/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

>Previous thread:
>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Recommended IBM models:
>X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110
>Recommended freedom models:
>xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
>Check libreboot.org for details.
>Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
>P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive
>Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
>Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
>ktgee.net/tpg
>New guides by xsauc:
>dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
>thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
>lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
>pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xx220 keyboar.TRS0&_nkw=x220 keyboard&_sacat=0
libreboot.org
ktgee.net/tpg
dankpads.com
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
lenovoservicetraining.com/
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=124841
linuxbios.org/Board:lenovo/t60
targus.com/us/laptop-charger
ebay.com/itm/352189460273#viTabs_0
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=115514
twitter.com/AnonBabble

best thinkpad to get for college, programming and general entertainment use (nothing beyond watching videos and emulating old games/playing low spec games at times)
Budget: realistically, up to 600 euro but hypothetically unlimited because they let you request money for tech here
preferably a non autistic one because i don't have time for tinkering with shit

is there any 12-14 inch laptops with a socket or AMD chipset?

I have a stupid question:
I have an x230 that I got with win 7 installed. The battery was ok, held on for 2-3 hours but when I decided to install windows 10 the battery doesn't work anymore. I installed the power management drivers and the chipset driver and it still doesn't work. Any clues why?
I tried updating the battery firmware but it didn't work twice. It finds new firmware but shuts down as soon as it starts installing...

T440 vs T440s vs T440p?
I just need it for 1080p animu and javs, browsing, listening to music, uni. Will also try to get into linux.

then go T440s but imho not worth it, still kinda expensive
maybe wait till the T430s 1080p upgrade kit is avaiable again and get that
last ones with replaceable CPUs are 4th Gen (Haswell?), there is the 2nd to 3rd Gen EliteBooks which all have replaceable CPUs iirc and only the T and W ThinkPads have replaceable CPUs, but only the T4** series is 14"
AMD chipset is trash atm don't bother
wait for mobile Ryzen
T460?

>then go T440s but imho not worth it, still kinda expensive
maybe wait till the T430s 1080p upgrade kit is avaiable again and get that
Idk about t440s, but the t440p costs about 500-600 refurbished on ebay with fhd ips and 8gb ram. That is okay for me since I was about to blow 1.3k yuros on a dell xps.
Btw I am German.

Anyone? I just want to give my mom a working laptop to use. My error may be when I tried installing new battery firmware, but I think my battery was not charging even before that. Since this is likely a software issue and not a bad battery issue, it has to have a solution, right? Can I ruin the battery completely with drivers?

I have an idea but don't know if it makes sense. Try win7 again and if it works there update the firmware in there. Drivers can't fuck up a battery but a bad firmware update ofcourse can (though I doubt that happened here). Also tried to find people with the same problem but my short search didn't yield much.

Hey /tpg/, how do I get to this screen on my t470? I can only ever access the UEFI setup, but I need to get into this to change GRUB into the default loader since I'm dual booting and the windows boot manager doesn't recognize linux mint.

Can anyone give me a clue where I can buy I new keyboard for my x220?

I live in Germany and would prefer a German keyboard, but an US one is fine too.

Ideally I would like to get here so I can change the default boot loader. I've been locked out of my linux partition since yesterday afternoon so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

is there a way to reset a battery to its original firmware or is it useless now?(how do I find out?) I did some research too and didn't find anything conclusive. I may have to buy a new battery. But now I'm scared of updating anything. This is a big disappointment. I used only the newest drivers from Lenovo's website and it fucked my battery for no reason.

Have you tested it under win7 yet?

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xx220 keyboar.TRS0&_nkw=x220 keyboard&_sacat=0

by the way, since US is pronounced yoo - ess it should be "a US one is fine too." Although US starts with a vowel (U) it phonetically starts with (Y). More examples: An umbrella, a unicorn

I mean, after you found out that it doesn't work under win10

so if it works in 7, I just update the firmware there? Or just the BIOS? Because I read that the battery firmware update utility is broken and it's causing problems. Can someone confirm they were successful in using it?

That would be my plan, but I'm no expert. Also as a last resort you can try removing the battery's drm check, there are some guides you can find online.

>only seller who has the thinkpad i want at a decent price where i am
>dude is active, description is honest, seems reliable
>tell him i'm interested in purchasing his laptop
>5 days after, still no reply
Come on... read the fucking messages... READ, NIGGA, READ...

Thanks, Ill have a look at ebay.

>by the way, since US is pronounced yoo - ess it should be "a US one is fine too." Although US starts with a vowel (U) it phonetically starts with (Y). More examples: An umbrella, a unicorn
Thanks, ill keep that in mind.

I'm just in here for Guybrush Threepwood.

I'd like to get advice. I am looking to buy a P71, what do you think of it? Also I'm in Europe and a minimal version costs as much as a maxed out version here. Any advice on how to get it cheaper?

The real question is when are we going to get Lucasfilm IP on the market again.
The Germans have been saving the point and click adventure genre alone for so fucking long. Pic related.

oh nice bruddi
ganz ehrlich T430s is unmöglich zu finden egal wie
da musste schon einfach mal 300€ wegblättern
T440p is da schon viel besser aber anscheinend n bissl overkill für deine zwecke
schau einfach mal was du kriegen kannst, T440 und T440s wenn du es billiger (also mindestens etwa 150€) als n T440p findest, das T440p wird dir halt sehr viel länger halten wenn du dir später nen quadcore CPU kaufst. 500€ is n ganz guter preis imo
das einzige problem im ende is halt in deutschland sind neuere ThinkPads schwerer zu bekommen als die alten, also hauptsächlich die **20er reihe und **00 reihe
schau einfach mal waste finden kannst

Previous thread:

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
-----
Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but expensive
-----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
-----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

what the fuck did the previous OP do with the damn text

Nice, I can spam it again:
Good news for the t420s/t430s owners that want to upgrade their screens
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=124841

Also, here in the Netherlands the t430s is easy to find for around 250,-. Check marktplaats.nl and tweakers.net/aanbod/ and see if anyone is willing to send it to you.

halt mit diesen 300€ mein ich dass du für das notebook allein schon 300€ ausgeben musst, dann kostet ein FHD upgradekit 50€, ein kompatibler screen nochmal so 50-60€, und am ende sitzte da mit nem dualcore CPU der gesöldert is, nich unbedingt das geilste auf der welt

Is getting a new X270 with the extended battery and 1080p display using that corporate discount a bad buy or would I be better off getting a used X220 and an extended battery for it?

Why is the Thinkpad 13 not on the Thinkpad wiki?
The edge 13 and 13 are different aren't they?

The Thinkpad is too heavy, is the idea pad a good alternative?

>the ThinkPad is too heavy
Post arms or buy an S.

I just want something lighter.

Get stronger and then what you already have will feel lighter to you.

I don't own a Thinkpad, its my brother's. Is IdeaPad any good?

Go away.

What's the best screen I can get on a T530? I'm assuming ips but I'm also gonna assume I don't want the Lenovo ips screen.

No bully, honest question

W510/W520/W530 1080p wide gamut
possibly the best TN panel ever made

I made another X220 wallpaper because the one from imgur was terrible.

I've got a T60 with an ATI card and I would like to replace the stock Lenovo BIOS with coreboot.

What does this mean?
>Model with an ATI gpu need an option for display to work. To do this look up the pci id using lspci and adapt CONFIG_VGA_BIOS_ID in menuconfig accordingly. e.g. "1002,7145"
linuxbios.org/Board:lenovo/t60

if I'm willing to go a little over $500 would it be better to buy refurbished directly from Lenovo?

I'm in a similar boat as you except I've been out of college for 2 years now. Shitposter from Sup Forums, Sup Forums and /lit/ that wants a portable meme machine for my coffee shop and the roughly once a year trip to visit family.
considering a refurbished t460 because I don't want an extra $150 for replacement battery that's a hidden cost. Especially since I'm likely to upgrade the RAM and storage regardless of what model I get.

Danke für die ausführliche Antwort, bekommt man hier ja eher selten.

Ja also overkill ist kein problem für mich, bin nämlich so einer, der sich max. mal alle 5 Jahre ein neues Gerät holt. Außerdem hab ich kp wofür ich den noch brauchen werde im Maschbau-Studium.

T440p sagt ja jeder, weil mans upgraden kann. Scheint also die beste/rationale Wahl zu sein, nur finde es ganz ehrlich etwas zu t h i c c, hab es allerdings noch nicht in Person gesehen.

>want to buy an msata ssd for my x220
>too poor
I just need a small one, less than 50GB for / and /boot, any recommendations?

I just bought a X230. I just want to do basic stuff, some programming and playing TF2 on the lowest settings. Did I do good?

>read the "Why Thinkpad" lines
>everything applies to all other business notebooks

What model is this? I saw it layong on the ground sold by some gypsies this morning.

Thinkpads seems good deal but it is REALLY worth it or just a fucking meme ?

I'm not sure, but it might be an R51.

meant for

Got a E470 this week. It's really nice, despite being a current gen model. Do I still need the System Update 5 even if I use Lenovo companion?

have you considered using your eyes for something other than looking at the pillow while your dad rails your ass

look at the fucking hinges

Can anyone explain how to take thinkpad keys off without breaking them?

YouTube isn't helping.

They're not really made to be taken off, why do you need to do it?

Should i buy an x60s with a power on password?

Are any thinkpads good for ue4 development (and also able to actually run/play the games)? My w500 is a paperweight at this point

Get it and put a X61s MB in it, that's what I'm on now and it's pretty fucking sweet

ThinkPads still have the best keyboards and trackpoints. If I recall correctly Lenovo has some sort of a patent on their trackpoint technology, which will hopefully expire soon.

But what if i don't want to put another mb in it?

I am sorry. I don't know anything about thinkpads. I though the model would be written on the obverse side.

Macbook air
No, I'm not meming

meaning it's going to kill your gpu and any hope you had for playing video over 720p
Don't fall for the tranny meme

What about not TN

Is a T420 with an i5, 320GB HDD, 4GB of RAM and 1600 x 900" panel for £130 a good deal?

I know the feel.
Someone was selling a 360CS or something for $50 locally, I never got a response

From what I know they are different.
There's a lot of laptops not in the Wiki,,, :/

Please leave the thread, thinkpads, latitudes, elitebooks & Panasonics aren't for you.

Hell yeah

R51, 15".
Most thinkpads say what model they are right below the lcd bezel...
I know its a 15" by looking at the width of the keyboard bezel and the palmrest curve for the LCD lid.

Actually I haven't had much luck taking these fuckers off and applying new ones successfully.

You might be able to install via USB, if not, your next best bet is using another HDD with an OS preinstalled in it.

Removing the CMOS will fuck your situation more.

It having a good battery would def make it be one, IMO.

xsauc pls ;-;

left my lenovo charger at home ... can I just buy any random laptop charger for my w520 and it should work?

>You might be able to install via USB, if not, your next best bet is using another HDD with an OS preinstalled in it.

Doesn't the password come before all that?

>Removing the CMOS will fuck your situation more.

Why?

Of course not, what a question...

are you memeing

so I'm going to either have no battery for the week or go out and buy a 40 euro charger from some dodgy guy online?

I got a targus charger for my T530, that might help just make sure everything matches your previous charger

>targus.com/us/laptop-charger

what kind of idiot are you? 'memeing', wtf?
Is there anyone that can get your charger for you and mail it to you, because that would be the best option probably. You don't really seem up to the hard task of getting another one.

Doubt most chargers will fit or deliver 170W.
The W520 will complain if you don't feed it 170W.

So what is the best thinkpad for gayming?

What if I buyed an used w530 and its bios have a password? How can I manage to go through it without knowing it?

ebay.com/itm/352189460273#viTabs_0

Upgrading from my i3 x131e to this. Did I make a good purchase?

Should I get the 3k display for my w540?
I'll primarily be using this at work, and I'll be using it at work on a dock with my external display which I don't want scaled
But at least once a day I'll be taking it off the dock, and I'll be needing scaling.
How well does windows play with having one screen be scaled and the other not?
Is there a quick way to tell a program to either run scaled or not scaled?

>tfw finally got my X61 Tablet
>it's slow as shit overall because of the HDD
>cpu always at 90-100% usage
>explodes with 1080p videos on youtube (works fine when using mpv+youtube-dl instead though)
>battery dead as fuck that lasts like 5 minutes
There's something ultra comfy with this smol device though that makes it very pleasant to use despite the drawbacks and the 1024x768 while sort of claustrophobic, works well at that size. Should i get another 2gb stick and an ssd for it? will it be a game changer?

Also holy shit the tablet mode + the "d-pad" thing is perfect for playing shitty hentai rpg maker games.

solder time

Thinkpads are CPU oriented and almost all of them have integrated intel video cards. Which are pretty bad for intense gaming. But it can handle simple games. I'm able to get almost 60 fps constantly on my x131e and those are cheap as fuck.

>got a t60 in 2014 and promised I wont get a new laptop until this breaks
>the hard drive in it was new
>decide to do a smartctl and find out how much I've used this machine
>power on hours 24989

Why wont this thing wear out and break so I can buy a new laptop without breaking my promise to myself?

Give it back Harspreet

Well holy fucking shit. I ran over my laptop (long story, can share if want) a few weeks ago - Lenovo Ideapad Flex 14 (the original) - which was great and worked for me for years up till now.

I honestly wondered if I should buy a new one at all after looking on ebay and somehow finding only >$200 range for decent ultrabooks; I really don't have many requirements for mobile use since my desktop covers my heavy needs, so I like it to at least be as highly functional while not at home, as possible. That means thin & light. Basically the bare minimum above a (((chromebook))) while actually having storage.

But it wasn't until I noticed my stepdad's X1 Carbon the other day that I thought of the /tpg/. That thing is sexy and smooth. I want one.

I'm seeing pre-owned ones on ebay for ~$200, with no hard drive which is no big deal since I'll just swap in my SSD and throw linux on it anyway. I honestly dunno how I didn't see this before. Is it too good to be true?

the first and second gen carbons are a bit shit, the second one especially has an abomination of a keyboard and no trackpoint buttons

third and onward are good though, for what they are at any rate.

Specifically it's the 3444-B9U model. This a 3rd gen?

What are the trackpoint buttons? That's not the nub in the middle of the keyboard?

>I swear I'm not lying!! I swear!!

new keyboard is like $20

laptop keyboard switches/hinges are made from little tiny skinny plastic bits and simply break off if you try taking them apart

Pls respond

>want a thinkpad x220 with FHD display
>don't have a chinese friend who can order one for me
>too paranoid to order the mod from some rando

lenovo pls make a modern x220 PLS

My w520 with a quadro 2000m can run say the latest south park game at a 60 fps at medum in low intense environments averaging about 30fps in battle scenes etc.

redpill me on 9 cell batteries.
Am i only getting a 33% increase in battery life?

you're also getting a comfy grip

Nice trips
I didn't see your post :O

Shit... sorry I got food and didn't reply :O
Nab this panel : B156HW01 V4
>forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=115514

sometimes you might get lucky
when you remove the CMOS, you have to enter the date/time in the bios
The bios asks for you to enter the BIOS password before doing any changes in the BIOS

There is a short out trick you can do if you find that chip and pins from the jaxxis site
But as far as getting it to boot... is trickey.
i was not sucessful in a lot of laptops, but I did get one to work on the W500 and was able to install an OS.
I forgot the processes because it's been so long.

Sound advice.

A third party charger would work, but I would not expect it to last more than 1 year later.

best bet is to go the eGPU route with most thinkpads (or any laptop)
Quadro graphics don't work well for (((AAA Games)))) compared to their overpriced GTX counterparts.
with that said, W530 w/ K2000m, 8770W or M6800 w/ upgraded GPU.

break your promise user, the T60 will last for another 5 years

3xxx are ivy bridge, so they are the first X1 Carbon, unlike the 13" X1 of prior that was sandy.

I forget what 3rd gen is... Lenovo fucked up their MTMs when they went 20BSxxxxx or whatever it was. So I stopped caring.

the battery life on this is garbage.
I'm buying a macbook.

thanks for the info

Yeah, I've since found out from googling. Kinda sucks. Not really sure it's worth it for a 1st-gen then..........might just hold out until I get more financially assured and then look around moar

I would just get one of the standard models in the buying guide but none of them are as slim as the carbons. Idk if I can deal with that.

>They're not really made to be taken off, why do you need to do it?

I bought a new keyboard but broke the F and backslash keys putting it on. I bought a refrub to take the keys from that and put it on mine.

The processors on the X60 models are all soldered in, aren't they? Has anyone ever tried surgically removing one and soldering in an upgrade?

>leaving the house
>ever
Why do you need a battery? I just use mine as a sort of UPS in case of a power outage from the mains.

>break your promise user, the T60 will last for another 5 years
Why wouldn't it last even longer than that?