Is there any reason I shouldn't use ubiquiti stuff for my home network?

Is there any reason I shouldn't use ubiquiti stuff for my home network?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01M25WO36/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a Unifi AP and it never gave me problems. huge improvement over the router's WLAN. one AP in the first floor covers a whole concrete house down to the cellar and into the garden.

I'm switching to Ubiquiti stuff top to bottom in my home network once I wire my house with Cat-5. Use their AP's on job sites and they are rock solid

>I'm switching to Ubiquiti stuff top to bottom in my home network once I wire my house with Cat-5.

if you are wiring why not cat6?

>Coming to gee for advice

No

No. Ubiquity actually is great and has good features. Once my current meme equipment dies I'll switch myself.

what the fuck would he need cat6 for in his home? you retards are just retarded ... HIGHER NUMBER MUST BE BETTER FOR EVERY CASE

>if you are wiring why not cat6?
CAT5e with insulation is superior to CAT6

I use a Ubiquiti AP AC Lite in my office at home and it gives good speeds and decent range for my upstairs.

Not bad speeds for under $80.

I went all ubiquiti unifi. APs are obviously good. Poe switch good. Unifi web software good too.

USG3 good, but no where near as good as pfsense. Anything beyond what you'd find in a standard consumer router requires you to manage via json files kept on the software controller server (i run mine in a vm). Any change to the json config requires triggering a re provision of the usg. It's pretty annoying but still doable.

you can run 10gbps off cat6 you mong.

enjoy your shitty upload speed

>but no where near as good as pfsense.

What's a good hardware setup for pfsense?

Have fun re-running cables in 15 years when 10 Gbps is the standard.

Depends on your needs

Home/HomeOffice.

by needs I mean concurrent users, WAN bandwidth
Expected LAN to LAN usage if you're doing a lot of local file transfers or streaming.
VPNs? What sort of encryption level? What throughput do you want with the VPN?

Do you want enough processing power for DPI? Etc etc.

Buy a official appliance from netgat

WAN is 100/50
LAN I have gbit switch
VPN meh
DPI meh

Im just sick of dlink BS

But what about cat6 with insulation?
Check mate.

amazon.com/dp/B01M25WO36/

This would probably be a bit overkill even.

desu if you are wiring now you should just use optical network

Not in residential deployment.

There is no advantage.

CAT6a can do 10gbps, if you honestly want to future proof past that get CAT7, it can do 40gbps over 100 meters and 100gbps over shorter distances.

In residential setting CAT6a or CAT7 is the most economical choice.

Fiber is a pipe dream for the home, at least currently.

>not using a ruckus AP
>too poor is not an excuse

ubiquiti stuff looks like is has been soldered by a 5 year old. Cheap cheap garbage if you've ever taken it apart. Its the fact that there software is becoming n00b friendly that is making it more popular.

I have seen TP-link APs with better stuff inside.

>CAT7, it can do 40gbps over 100 meters

huh?

who the fuck even uses 10Gbps for their homes?
unless you have a big ass network drive and keep uploading 100s of GBs a day, or have a big family, want a future-proof network, etc., I don't see how you would absolutely NEED expensive cabling/network equipment.
it's not like you can't wait a couple of seconds more every time you download/upload something, can't you?

CAT7a was rated to do 40gbps and 100gbps it just never got IEEE ratification, and was instead dropped in favor of CAT8 2000mhz which is expected to officially support 25Gbase-T and 40gbase-T.

why can't you run both and only terminate the cat6e (most cat7 isn't ISO), leave the fibre in the wall, it doesn't take up much room.

>CAT7a was rated to do 40gbps and 100gbps it just never got IEEE ratification,

Then how do I know that other hardware will support 40gbps...

Then you're just hoping that in 10-15 years when you DO need the speeds offered by fiber that your fiber has remained undamaged and the connections used are still the of the same design.

If you're building from scratch installing conduit in the wall to make replacing cables later easier would be the best solution. Install CAT6a now with the idea of replacing it with more advanced copper later, or fiber, whichever makes sense at the time.

I agree with you, but 2.5gbe and 5gbe should have arrived a long time ago now. It's so late to the game and 1gbe really is becoming a bottle neck for home network, especially with cable companies pushing 1gig fiber and +1gig wifi these days along with home NAS and streaming media.

You don't, it was primarily used in the data center to connect racks over short distances that would be problematic (or expensive) to do a fiber drop for.

If you want to do RAW 4k 120hz video, you will need 10gps. Better to be future proof.

fiber is fiber, and good fiber lines won't get damaged over time except for pests.

and whole house conduit is expensive in the era of cheaply built homes with Chinese drywall.

And if you're a movie editor or some such, sure it makes sense. But an average person would never even be able to get their hands on 4k RAW 120hz footage.
RAW 4k 120hz would be something like 81.6GB per minute of footage.

>RAW 4k video

How do you even get more than 1gbps into your PC?

10gbps NIC or 40/100gbps fiber NIC.

Before the usg I ran pfsense on a suoermicro atom board. Quad core atom with dual intel nics. Nice board but pfsense is demanding of CPU so it can only route around 700mb/s, and now I have gigabit internet so I switched to the usg which can do it.

Why is it called a gateway instead of a router?

Is it just to sound more 'enterprise'?

the thing is that 10Gbps cabling is dirt cheap
the reason why no one is using it yet are the prices of the network equipment
so if you wire your house today you might as well spend the extra $50 or less on the better cabling
and in five or so years when 10Gbps is standard you'll only have to plug in the new devices and don't need to spend money and time to replace your cabling

I have cat7 everywhere.

Also use Mikrotik as your main router if you want pure power and tons of upgrades for years. These two go hand in hand.

Wouldn't it be better to use ubnt router for easier control with their provided software?

Yes, if you aren't networking savvy. If you are, Mikrotik lets you do all sorts of shit.

Can confirm this, switches are good, they're no Cisco's, APs are great.

But for router/gateway you're going for pfsense.

There are even pfsense plugins for ubiquiti's stuff.

>, they're no Cisco's,

is this supposed to mean?

Best guess: They're no NSA botnet.

It means no super fast switches, obviously.

>proprietary networking equipment
explain

hmm

brought AC HD recently. fantastic thing! after that i bought switch 24-250w also very happy with it but it was little bit too noisy. replaced fans with sunon maglev’s and now it’s super quiet

a decent choice seems to be:
ubiquity ap
pfsense for routing

I was wondering if there are better price to performance options compared to ubiquity APs? As far as I see they're the best in terms of support life and signal quality. Not a fan of the javashit interface but you don't really need to touch it after initial deployment in SOHO

I don't get it. Aren't those just repeaters?
Why call them AP?

Implies it's an internet edge device instead of just a layer 3 box, so it does stuff like DNS and dhcp. Yeah it's just to sound superior though, any consumer grade router is an edge device / gateway.

I've got a AP-AC Lite and an EdgeRouter Lite. No complaints.

>If you want to do RAW 4k 120hz video, you will need 10gps

You have no idea what you are talking about.

>>RAW 4k 120hz video
>>future proof
>You have no idea what you are talking about.
No, YOU are the one who has no idea what you are talking about.

4k 120hz RAW would literally be ~10.9Gbps
so how the fuck would 10gbps manage to deal with that anyway?

>what is network compression

>Running wires
>Not running conduit
Lmao @ ur """"future proofing""""

What the fuck does RAW 4k even mean, you fucking retard? You're just making shit up.

>not having tons of RAM
>not using intel QPI
>not using in-GPU 1TB SSDs
yeah, network devices...

>he deosnt' even future proof