Is pretty incredible how scarily good Google Translate has gotten

Is pretty incredible how scarily good Google Translate has gotten.

Why is that scary?

Still not good enough at all.

How is it even scary? I want all translators to lose their jobs, just because lmao.

It still can't do Chinese/Japanese/Korean for shit.

Native spaniard here. It's not that good, I can tell that either a translator has been used or some spic wrote it (spics usually use english sintax sometimes with spanish).

>Google Translate
>Good
Pick one.

This, maybe it will lower requirements for entry level employees to know 3 different languages to even be considered, if i can just google translate everything accurately or at least mostly.

Try asian languages and see how it goes, Google is far far behind on them.

>Native spanish speaker here

Just the first sentence is already sub-par translating work

>... sientiendome como una mierda como de costumbre.

That first "como" is unnecessary and most people don't talk like that. Shit work, desu.

Los panchos hablan asi, yo lo he visto.

was reading some news in sandnigger the other day and it managed to translate the articles to english almost perfectly, the botnet is really strong

It's decent but still has more work to go through

It can do short sentences in those languages pretty well.

it still fucking sucks with korean, japanese, chinese, russian, and all those weird fucking languages. romance or germanic? a-ok!

It works better from an unknown language to English than the opposite

>according to ameriblobs, Russian is as weird as hieroglyphic languages
кeк

Que mal que no funcione igual del Español al Ingles

Me la chupan

what's the quality for jap?
>inb4 it's lower than chink

Yea, back when I was in school we used the altavista translator and it translated everything word for word.
Our German teacher had to talk to us about why 80% of our class wrote "football fans" as "fußball ventilatoren".
I still don't know any German.

Translators can still translate verbally in person better than a computer. For now anyway.

I don't have it but I'd assume it would be comparable to Chinese because they are both equidistant from English.

It's interesting that human translations of/to Chinese are also pretty bad and worse than the old machine translations of other languages. We should compare machine translations relative to human translations since some languages are just objectively difficult to translate.

what fucking person wants to translate chinese language, they're working for a dollar an hour and putting americunts out of work when tim cunt goes to chinkland

Translators will always be needed for localization. Software translation can't account for cultural differences and subtleties of language.

A Google Translated novel would be a boring slog that doesn't capture any of the nuance or use of language the original writer used.

English part was write by some Spanglish, Spanish traduction looks decent.

>traduction

Got you.

>A Google Translated novel would be a boring slog that doesn't capture any of the nuance or use of language the original writer used.
That's true, but that's largely because google translate is developed to be as factual as possible. That doesn't mean novel translation is an impossible task for computers. In fact, it's often easier to translate prose than technical documents since the precision requirements are lower and it can choose similar linguistic constructs that fit better and make the text more enjoyable to read.

Case in point.
>honey (your dear, couple, darling, etc.)

>hachimitsu (literal word for the bees' honey)

chotto matte, how do you expect it to know context from just 3 works prior to the word honey?

Spanish works.
And as native Spanish speaker, I can tell you that phrase doesn't sound natural. It's too literal.

I don't know what they use now. But at one time they used documents from the UN that were translated to multiple languages as the training set. I doubt there are many UN documents that refer to a person as "honey".

Pues no se de donde seras pero yo he visto a mejicANOs escribir asi. Soy de España.

The same way any regular human would be able to guess the right context.

We say ¿Cómo te fue en el trabajo?

Which would translate to "How did you do at work?" Sounds awkward as hell in English.

i don't think russian is weird, just that the difference between english and russian and e.g. english and german is pretty big. you slav squatting alcoholic bitch.

Pues me suena haber leido animes traducidos por panchos en los que habia un monton de frases asi, raras, con sintaxis inglesa. Puede ser que lo tradujeran con maquina desde la version inglesa?

I just tried this sentence to Swedish and it either removes the question mark (default translation) or it uses a word for work that would be unnatural to use in that context (alternate translation).

it gets the point across but its incredibly awkward to read the translations it makes.

the automatic subtitle feature from youtube works really well now, too.
At least for English and not so heavy accents.

It uses inputs for an AI to automatically learn languages.
As far as I know there are no rules for how it should learn, only that it will look at a German text, then the same text in English, find similarities between thousands upon thousands of translated texts and so on.
It will get better with time, due to AI learning!

>Puede ser que lo tradujeran con maquina desde la version inglesa?
No soy el otro, pero sí, el medio (fansub y scanlation) está lleno de subnormales que traducen con google, tanto panchos como manolos.
A los que les importa la calidad (que son pocos), sean tanto panchos como manolos, intentan hacer la traducción lo más neutral posible.

it can do chinese to english EXTREMELY well, better than most languages.

Yo paso de panchos y chamakitos y lo veo en ingles. Eso de hacer la traduccion neutral es cuestionable, para mi neutral es español de españa.

Cuando leo cosas tipo "como se siente esto?", "estas zapatillas se ven bien en ti", "luces bien en esa ropa", me entra un puto cringe de la ostia, antes lo veo en japones sin traducir que eso.

>Yo paso de panchos y chamakitos y lo veo en ingles.
And then you get the glorious translations of the kansai accent to ya southern accent. Howdy!

>some character gets translated in ebonics

cringe maximo transorbital
literalmente why

You are really really missing the point, y'all.

Yes, it doesn't sound perfectly natural. But it already sounds good enough for someone to wonder if they really need someone to translate their text to spanish. Give it a couple of years, five tops, hiring a human translator is going to be an exception.

Spaniard here, btw. Not for long, I hope.

It has gotten a lot better with case heavy languages with free structure, but it's still pretty bad. I did pass my obligatory UNI swedish with google translate though.

>Cuando leo cosas tipo "como se siente esto?", "estas zapatillas se ven bien en ti", "luces bien en esa ropa"
Pero esas son claras traducciones a máquina...
La mayoría de los grupos ni hacen proofreading para por lo menos intentar arreglar la traducción.
Yo tampoco leo ni veo nada en español por que conozco las cagadas que se mandan por estar dentro de los grupos pero los grupos en inglés también se mandan un huevo de cagadas sobretodo en los animes, en manga si no hay mucho kanji raro no se suelen mandar cagadas muy grandes.

Exactly this. Automated translation ceased to be based on rules long ago. It's a probabilistic job now, and it will only improve as the corpus gets larger.

Pues yo no noto nada raro cuando veo anime subbed en ingles, no se... Es como leer 4chinks para mi. Algun ejemplo?

Me he acordado de la captura esa que a veces se postea aqui que traduce "notto disu shittu agen" como "not this shit again", eso es correcto?

En españa hay una editorial que traduce decentemente manga, pero claro, no son hobbists.

There is something I don't think you're taking into account. Global culture is really really smoothing out cultural differences.
Most languages are adopting English lexicon, but also English meanings to words that already existed: I've heard "He aplicado para ese trabajo" a lot of times in Spain, and it's something that ten years ago would sound ultra weird.
And expressions are being directly translated too. We will see, really soon, how the dialectal and cultural differences slowly cease to be. Spaniards will adopt expressions and grammar from latin america and the other way around.

And Google Translate will help in this.

>Pues yo no noto nada raro cuando veo anime subbed en ingles, no se...
Si te acostumbras al vocabulario de este agujero del infierno suele pasar, a mi también me pasó hasta que empecé a leer todas las quejas de los autistas de Sup Forums sobre los putos de Commie.

It's pretty bad with Jap and I'm not even that good at moonrunes.

Chinese to English probably accounts for 85% of translation jobs globally. It makes sense that they'd put effort into it.

Holy fuck is commie written by literal ghetto dwellers?

Eso lo veo mas un fallo de adaptarse al registro. Deberian al menos aprender lo basico sobre traduccion. Aunque supongo que sera una exageracion meme eso de commie.

How new are you bud?

>Aunque supongo que sera una exageracion meme eso de commie.
Es una exageración no muy lejana a la realidad, sino pregunta en Sup Forums.
La mayoría de la gente prefiere esperar igual una semana por otro grupo, muchas veces hacen cualquier desastre con el guión solo por que les da la gana.

It's time to stop.

Thanks for the (You) senpai.
Here, have one.

*teleports behind you*
pssst, nothin personnel, kid

thanks for the (you)s gringo

ngl I didn't realise this was even english.

It's shit. Bing works much better, GNMT was a mistake.

It's bad enough so that when you keep translating it to japanese and back it produces similar but different results, I do this for SEO and copy paste articles through it and have ranked clients before when they're too fucking stupid to not allocate $100 for iwriter articles

No.

For European languages, DeepL is better

Its great for those obscure Chinese datasheets, saved my ass on a number of occasions when fixing up those little garden solar lights containing a 4 pin boost converter and solar panel switch IC.

My mommy is very happy now her dollar store lights are working again.

I got hooked with that short story, OP.
Is that oc? Or where can i find the whole story?

>mfw no ve manga/anime con subs en ingles

JP to EN is better.
>ハニー、仕事はどうですか?

Japanese is piss easy though. Any weeb can pick up talk-level Japanese by just watching stupid cartoons. Writing is the only part one has to learn and practice a bit.

As someone who doesn't speak multiple languages, which is probably the primary demographic of translation services, how can you ever be sure what comes out the other end isn't pure shit?

That spanish could be telling maurice to go fuck his mother and I'd never know.

>implying

delete this onegaishimasu

lmao

it's not a bad thing though, just saying. it's very easy to pick up, learn, get into. sad that it's just useless in real life.

>useless
>Implying I won't get into some end of the world scenario in which communication with a japanese settlement will be necessary for survival

f-first one who asks. Yes, it's OC.

it's too obvious OP.

It's obviously not something published, you can tell the glaring typos there.
Also,
>to my place of employement instead to my workplace
>most of our meets went like that
>etc.

Pedro tier homosexual fanfic.

Well OP could just subscribe to Grammarly Premium maybe.

I usually write in Spanish but I wanted to experiment writing something in English. I learned shitposting in Sup Forums and watching subbed anime, so I didn't expect much.

It still has completely broken Japanese and Hungarian.

The only translation it does half way good is English to German, because German is so damn rigid of a language.

>No mas me levante esta mañana sintiendome como mierda.
>Mi selular sono y resulto ser mi cuate maurisio
>No mames, solo queria platicar y comer unas tortitas de mais

spics, not even once.

if you give no context at all even a human translator could fail your test

A computer doesn't know what's enjoyable to read. Not all humans do either, that's why not everyone can be a writer.

That's not how machine learning works. Using a larger training set helps, but your model will always have a limit of what it can do based on its internal structure.

Peter Norvig who used to head Google translate, used to say that more data is always better than a better model.

It is not even close to putting translators out of work. Every time i use it in youtube comments, eapecially on russians comments, it a bunch of unreadable nonsense

Nonsense.

it's awful for finnish

that just shows spanish is a joke of a language. 100% mechanical and always using the same expressions over and over again.