What's the alternative to this? I fucking liked unity and now canonical fucked everything up

What's the alternative to this? I fucking liked unity and now canonical fucked everything up.
All those wasted pixels at the top bar.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RSBMn6eGH88
extensions.gnome.org/extension/1267/no-title-bar/
extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/
ppa.launchpad.net/oiteam/xfce4/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xfce4-windowck-plugin/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-GitHub-Doc-Memory-Alloc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Xubuntu

But it's shit :(

i3 doesn't waste a single pixel

I'll help your sorry ass. You obviously need to experiment by changing the values until it suits your preferences.

you obviously didn't understand the problem.
It ain't the size of the title bars. The problem is that the title bar of a maximized window and the top bar do not merge into a single one, nigger.

>i3 doesn't waste a single pixel
i3 without bar and windows borders is perfect, not a single pixel wasted

>All those wasted pixels at the top bar. *AUTISTIC SCREEECH*
>It ain't the size of the title bars.

I use awesomeWm on my x220, but I am too lazy to configure it on my desktop for multi monitor usage. I rather stick with a full fledged DE there

>What's the alternative to this?
MATE

Google Bubuntu

well... the alternative is 16.04 lts, it'll be good for years

R E T R O - A E S T H E T I C for Linux
>The most underrated legit mac window manager on linux ever pic related

MLVWM window manager. Compile it & configure it yourself though. Don't worry about ugly top bars no more.

elementaryOS

macOS.

Xfce is the best DE, and debian base is a standard for consumer and developer use along with Fedora/SUSE. It's the literal opposite of shit.

>configure it yourself if your time isn't worth anything

youtube.com/watch?v=RSBMn6eGH88

But it's not. I've been using Xubuntu 16.04 for quite a long time, I've never been so satisfied with an OS since Windows XP. Truly wonderful, light and user-friendly.

Ubuntu Budgie

>Budgie
>ever

Is this the FOSS version of the iPhone X's top notch?

Mate doesn't and can't merge the bars.

Is this stable? Im actually really comfy with ubuntu but want to try something else.

Pretty sure theres a plugin for it. But I dont think it works reliably.
Anyway I dont see that as that big of a deal.

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1267/no-title-bar/

Is this what you're after?

Yes. But this shit is shit. It just fucks everything up. Nothing is where it suppossed to be. Weird menu control placement.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

what are you looking at?

I am using i3 on my x220. There is absolutely no configuration required for multi monitor setup.
Just use arandr or whatever to activate the monitor and it all just wörks.
At most you have to edit your tray output so it appears on the primary display rather than the rightmost one but that's all.

Did they solve the retarded thing where some tray icons like jdownloader or dropbox would show up in a separate container at the bottom rather than in the notification area of the bar?

Are you people retarded? Unity got forked into Yunit desktop months ago, use it if you want to.

Looks nice, but where are the window buttons?

I think he is trying to point out that the blue thing doesn't mach the white space.

Above the favorite button

Oh, that's not really ideal for me, but I'll try budgie just in case, may as well give it a chance.

Unity 8 is shit and unfinished though.

if it's shit, why are you complaining about it being apparently gone? And how can it be unfinished if it's been released for a solid 6 months now?

tried budgie just now and it basically broke all my cinnamon configs. Regret/10

>why are you complaining about it being apparently gone?
Unity 7 != Unity 8

>Best DE
>Can't even get their compositor to stop tearing likt the other DEs

Don't say Compton... that's a third-party fix and a shit one at that.

Solus ofc.

SCREEN TEARING AS A DEFAULT OPTION

no thanks fa m

I havent tearing on my 750ti with xfwm, but have it with kwin and openbox.

use:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/

get a 144hz tv xDDDDDDDDDd

Compton. There's nothing wrong with it. you're autistic.

OpenSUSE with KDE

Why alternative?

Why does Sup Forums bitch and moan against 17.10 ?
it's fucking great... just customize it ffs

you want to be l33t hacker using i3 and gentoo?

the button placement looks aweful

What theme?

unity 7 is a deprecated old version of unity. unity 8 was the most current supported unity version. if you miss an old version of unity so much, you should just fork it yourself because i don't think anyone else is going to bother.

Like pic related ?
It's xfce4-windowck-plugin
See: ppa.launchpad.net/oiteam/xfce4/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xfce4-windowck-plugin/

/thread

Unity 8 was never finished and/or shipped. Unity 7 is the last working version of it and is still available in 17.10.
Yunit is a fork of Unity 8.

These are essentially art threads.

There's nothing wrong with it, it looks fine. Now fuck off back to Sup Forums, fags

How did you achieve this in budgie?

Install Cinnamon, nigger.

unity 8 was finished and shipped, though...

Not on desktops.

Why cant dash-to-panel do vertical reeeee

Lubuntu

How about just installing Unity you fucking retard?

yes on desktops, are you dumb or do you just never update?

install united gnome from gnome-look, install dash-to-dock, add gnome button to the top, panel-mode, disable ubuntu dock, install hide activities button extension

ends up looking like pic related.

also install frippery move clock extension if you want the time to be on the right rather than the middle

tl;dr you're being lazy fucks, you can install unity easily or just make gnome behave like it with almost no work.

It's still a bunch of wasted space. The activities bar might as well be gone if it can't even have proper global menu features.

so, you want unity back but then complain about unity's layout? damn, user, this is some hardcore autism.

Unity = useful top bar
Gnome = useless top bar

the top bar is identical in both unity and gnome you inbred retard, the only difference between unity and gnome is the bar on the left and the global menu.

>it's identical except for the difference

plz go

do you not know how to read english, pajeet? i said the top bars are identical, then i said the only real difference between the two desktops as a whole is the side bar and menu. nothing to do with top bar. you are fucking infuriating, i have never seen someone on Sup Forums be so unironically retarded in all my time on this damned board.

>global menu
>nothing to do with top bar

pls go

Now I know you're baiting. Anyone who can't see the massive global menu button on the left bar is just fucking retarded.

pls go you're embarrassing yourself. try using the things you're commenting on first

How so? Literally no pixel wasted

Yep, way too much space wasted with gnome shell. Consider KDE instead

>lubuntu
still no sound in youtube ?

Pick a MATE distribution.

Ubuntu MATE
Manjaro MATE

It's the most stable desktop the just werks and is fully compatible with GTK 3. You can also still use Compiz for vertical syncing and workspace switching, and it doesn't crash every three seconds unlike the other desktops that don't even let you switch the compositor.

MATE mutiny

Linux is a sinking ship and you have the special snowflakes at Redhat to thank for it. Nvidia isn't even going to bother with Wayland. Gu-nome developers bully app developers and apparently rooting systemd is a feature.

>Nvidia isn't even going to bother with Wayland
no
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-GitHub-Doc-Memory-Alloc
Besides, Wayland already works on nvidia, even if Xwayland is still broken.

install gent.. I mean install linux mint

Go with KDE Neon, stable base and updated DE.