Multithreading in 7 zip?

I see 7 zip being faster than winrar in benchmarks, but I tried using it and it's insanely slow.

I don't see any multithreading option in the settings.

How do I enable it?

read the sticky you idiot

Why? We have xz already

What does the sticky have to do with 7 zip?

>>I don't see any multithreading option in the settings.
>How do I enable it?
I'm also interested. it's way too slow.

there is no way to multithread extraction of a singlefile, if the file is spread into multiple parts then its possible

speaking of 7shit

>have a folder of RAW photographs
>compress using the most insane preset
>takes forever
>0,1MiB smaller than original folder

it's placebok m8

I tried to compare winrar speed vs 7 zip on the zip file of some program ( alot of files)

winrar is a million times faster

>have UE4 build of about 4GB
>compress with 7z
>400MB

not all filetypes can be compressed

did you use solid block on all?

it has nothing to do with the file type though

I hope you realize that compression isn't magic. There is no set percentage at which files shrink when compressed. It's all about the organization of 1s and 0s withing the file.

what

this setting means a lot when it comes to speed/multithreading

all settings must be comparable for your test to be even remotely valid

Some types of files compress better than others. Certain data files, such as text files, picture files in the BMP format, and some text style database files can often be compressed by 90% or more. There are some other types of files, such as program files, that may compress by 50% or so.

There also are other types of files that often will not compress well. For example, most multimedia files will not compress much, as they already exist in a highly compressed state. These file types usually employ efficient techniques to compress the data they contain. Examples include, but are not limited to, graphic (picture) files (GIF, JPG, PNG, etc), music files (MP3, WMA, etc), and movie files (AVI, MPG, etc). Files that are compressed, as these examples are, usually cannot be compressed more to any significant extent. Therefore, such files don't get much, if any, smaller when they are added to a Zip file (.zip or .zipx).

>Some types of files compress better than others.
that is not what a "file type" is mate. I know not all data can be compressed the same amount.

is file type not the extension of a file?
what is it then?

>extensions that are already compressed, like mp3 and jpeg don't compress well in zip
no shit retard. but it has nothing to do with the filetype, it has to do with if the data is already compressed or not.

Fourth line, genius:
>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

>personal
a general question about a popular compression software is not personal tech support though, fag. Not even OP btw.

Where is this located?

7zip archive settings you retard. have you ever used 7zip before?

Tell this to the 20 people that willingly posted in this thread

fuck off
go be a moderator on some subreddit if you want everything to be IN ORDER

I went to the settings and checked all tabs and didn't see that window

you mean in the fucking filemanager? jesus christ

I know it gives you this option when compressing

but I am talking about decompressing
winrar is much faster, and I don't see any options for multithreading for decompressing

but it is.
no one gives a shit if you aren't even able to google it, retard

kill yourself today, autist

decompressing also depends on how the fucking archive was created you brain dead piece of shit. I was defending your fagget thread here: but now I'm beginning to agree with this fagget:

welcome to IT, newfag
there is a reason we don't help random retards

>we
stop.

instantly becoming autistic by default is why loonix forums are cancer to deal with online.

we do help when people show that they've done some basic research
this is a retarded topic that could have been solved by 1 minute of googling, so clearly you are a worthless dumbass

hell, I even replied to this thread, while there is people for retarded questions like yours

>retarded questions like yours
I haven't posted a single question here mate. do you think I'm OP or someting? anyway, stop wasting time and replying here. let this fagget thread die.

alright faggots, you were right, I just spent 1 fucking hour and 10 minutes compressing a 21GB folder of text files (LinkedIn database) using the "Ultra" preset and .7z file ending

>before: 21GB
>after: 6GB

ok

>kanker zweed
ofcourse the retard has to be a fucking swede

Something to keep you busy whilst your wife entertained some Somalian gentlemen?

>ameritard has to ruin the thread with stale jew-created memes

That's not a denial, Sven.

I'm not the fagget swede, but you could at least make up something that is not jewish propaganda against europe.

Discussing technology is allowed on Sup Forums. Feel free to report if you think it isn't.