#unqualifiedfortech

twitter.com/search?q=#unqualifiedfortech&src=typd

I have an EECS degree from MIT but was told by a recruiter that they already had too many white males.
#unqualifiedfortech

I have no degree and only (kind of) know rails, I make 85k/year doing almost nothing at a big webdev firm.

> I are the niggest. #unqualifiedfortec

If you want a job you shouldn't put a link to your social media in the CV.

>eww this guy doesn't have a facebook, he must be some creepy virgin school shooter

Well, she is

(((data science)))
Isn't that literally just statistics?

Nope. These days any monkey is called a data scientist as long as you know SQL and can do some babby level queries.

Who are you quoting?

They have been degrading scientist and engineer titles for years haven't they... Pretty pathetic

started with "sanitation engineer"

(((she)))

Nobody really has a definition. Used to be that you needed to have a data warehouse where there were a dozen different areas of specialization for doing BI or anything else that used what was eventually buzzwordified to "big data". Then Hadoop came along and really fucked everything up, telling everybody to not clean or think about their data and to store it all in a big, unstructured piece of proprietary shit and went making up bullshit, meaningless titles like "data scientist" to describe people who would somehow perform all the functions that go into creating a clean data warehouse, on an unstructured shithole of data storage. Hadoop is now a massive failure, but nobody will talk about it because of the number of really rich companies that got hoodwinked into it, and all these people who think they're good with data are still around, shitting everything up.

Marketing majors who have a sort-of understanding of Google Analytics walk around calling themselves data scientists now because they ran a statistically unsound A/B test once. Sad.

wow it's almost like recruiters only look for degrees/certs

you should, and if you don't they'll search for it either way.
the thing you should not do, be an autist in social media, use common sense, those things are out there forever.

That was pretty insightful thanks. I looked into Hadoop and map reduce crap a few years ago and that matches up with my suspicions.
Really shame what our tech industry is becoming

I am A+ certified, but I am white and literally autistic. #unqualified

about to start a graduate data analyst job
but i've only got a finance degree so it's not very useful outside of statistics
what should i learn in my spare time so i won't be culled down the line?

Iv been looking for a job lately and there are so many companies looking for experience with hadoop. never used it but from the job search it looks like a requirement for anything to do with data these days

>receive criticism
>raise a stink about discrimination/sexual harassment
hmm i wonder why women don't get hired

>be me
>pretty bad at computer science but decent GPA
>good theory background
>poor technical background
>no internships, no side projects
>now have $75k/year job offer lined up
>mfw

meant to say practical, not technical

I bet she can't even fizzbuzz

I wish I was you. I had three interviews in the past week, and they were all shit.

Lol stem memesters are hilarious. Enjoy your debt.

>good at computer science, decent GPA
>good theory background
>good practical background
>no internships, no side projects
>suicide imminent
>mfw

>"Don't become an engineer, you're unqualified"
>becomes a not engineer

Sure showed him he was wrong.

dont get me wrong, i'm still horribly depressed but at least i wont be unemployed i guess

That's life. I left a job because it was low paying and I was unhappy. Now I am unemployed because the job I went to got rid of me. Should have just taken the cock up the ass instead of being a baby and leaving because they cut my wages.

That sucks for sure, but if they actually tried to reduce your salary without also reducing your responsibilities it would have been absolutely inappropriate to continue working for them. appropriate doesn't put bread on the table but you can't let them ask you to pay them to keep your job

They demoted me as well, put me back at minimum wage (after 5 years of working my way up from there), put me in a 5 year wage freeze and barred from any new promotions, because they deemed me unfit for anything more than production.

I never got any internships because there weren't many in my city when I was doing my undergrad. So I went on for a master's and realized research was more fun. Now I'm working on a PhD. That should hold me for about 4 years or so. If I can publish enough, I'll be able to get into academia. If I can't... well someone can use a security researcher somewhere.

data scientists are just statfags, hate that meme shit.

> You are not qualified enough to work on it but you surely can teach it
This is why our universities sucks.
To quote Bjarne: "the problem with teachers is that for a lot of them their previous occupation was student"

At least she chose a fitting name for her appearance

it should be someone who studies information theory, pattern recognition, machine learning, etc. all subsets of stats.