/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Search "Intel")

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, 5Ghz is backward compatible with the more common 2.4 Ghz

Previous: →

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856005
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbXdBP
amazon.de/dp/B008A2QBDU/?tag=pcp05-21
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D6BY3F
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VCwF7h
asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370 Taichi/index.asp#Memory
eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/uk/
help.newegg.com/contactus
pcpartpicker.com/list/XCCvPs
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqW7KZ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gtHLM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wouldn't buy a discounted PSU from a non retailer. is the situation in brazil so bad you literally can't find a seasonic anywher?

Any reason to buy a 4k monitor? Seems it would be better just to wait for reasonably priced ones with HDR, no?

only if you really need it. I think dual 1440p is the best choice now, for gaming and productivity

>Coffee Lake has been released!
I really wish there were see some actual signs of that. My current machine only passes 1 out of 4 boot attempts and I'm really I'm close to ordering a B350 Tomahawk + 1600X right now, but if the benchmarks of the Coffeelake are as good as the reviews say then I really want the 8600K. I'm running out of time though.

Is the 1070 the best for 120 Hz 1080p?

How about VR?

>Is the 1070 the best for 120 Hz 1080p?
the 1070 is overpowered for that. Look at an RX 580 or a 1060 6GB instead

It is a paper launch, you will have a very hard time finding a CPU.

how much should i try to ebay a used Sapphire R9 390 Nitro for? USD

Is there some indication of when actual processors are going to be coming out?

I'm starting to believe that too. Weren't the mobile processors supposed to be released in august already? I haven't seen one yet.

If I’m building a custom loop, does it matter if I go with the 1080 ftw or ftw2?

1300x, 1060 3gb and 2x4GB @3000MHz
1080p esport gayming and CPU intensive games (strategy, city building), dual monitor productivity
am I doing it right?

there are many estimations, but they are not based on actual data or facts. it will be available when it will be available.

my advise is this: unless you are playing on 1440p/144fps you will not see a huge difference between ryzen and coffee lake.

the 1300x is a factory OC'd 1200. if you are not afraid of overclocking you could save some money by ocing it yourself. Remember to check your motherboard ram QVL to insure you will get 3200Mhz. also avoid msi on am4 if you play to overclock due to poor VRM in all am4 msi boards

I was thinking of not overclocking this system, the price difference between 1200 and 1300x doesn't make for the price of a dependable cooler and I read the stock cooler is alright for a non-OC-ed system.

previously I had a computer with FX-8320, 2x4GB @1600 and R9 270. I should notice considerable improvement I hope

im ready

it will be a massive difference

post pics when you build it

>esport

will do

the rest of the parts for upgrade

Is 16:9 really for children or are you just trolling?

>you will not see a huge difference between ryzen and coffee lake.
I play games, but nothing that my current Q9550 can't still handle (extra will be nice though). What I really want the power for is mostly audio production. There aren't any benchmarks for that though, although it seems that in the graphics department the Ryzen is very competitive.

Holy fuck RAM is expensive or is that some special kind?

Haven't looked in on prices since I built my 6700K system.

you should check the am4 taichi by asrock. it has insane built in audio features apparently.

you should ask in the specific audio softwares forum if it is optmized to use multiple threads and core, if it is, a ryzen 1700 will outperform every single coffee lake cpu

there is NAND shortage. also phones using DDR4 now really kills the market because samsung literally can't keep up with demand

The stock ryzen cooler is adequate for a mild overclock I believe

Is this good?

Found a preorder that says "estimated delivery: December"
Wouldn't bet on Coffee Lake to be widely available until after Christmas.

How future proof will the AM4 socket possibly be? Is there any info about that? It's hard to find specifics in AMD roadmap articles. Intel claims the cannon lake will be 1151 too, but of course that doesn't mean anything with the stunt they pulled with the 1151 and coffee lake.

Their next two upcoming chips, ryzen 2 and something I can't remember, will both be compatible with current am4 boards

By the way, why would anyone buy a ryzen CPU and then immediately upgrade the next year? The next CPU will barely have an improvement. Why waste more money, budgetniggers?

do you have any source on that?

AMD says they will support AM4 until Zen 3 in 2019 or 2020. They did not specifically say Zen 2 or 3 will run in current motherboards. They can't promise that as it's up to the motherboard manufacturers.
I wouldn't bet a dime on Zen 3 running on current motherboards, but it's still more likely than Intel supporting any socket for more than 2 generations.

Buy a regular chip now. Upgrade to the last best available chip once it's almost gone from the stores. It's what I've always done.

Last machine I started with a E6600 dual, then got one of the last Q9550's which has lasted me up to now. almost 10 years of service combined. So... who're you calling an upgrade nigger again? kek

How good is the u14s vs the d15s for the price? im going to upgrade from a 212 evo and i want to stick with airflow and silence as the main things. id get a d15 but i dont have the ram clearance unless i take one of the fans off

Everyone just says 2020, but I think they'll switch it only when ddr5 comes to market, which is expected around 2021-2022.

Only other anons here, probably a source somewhere

i am about to purchase an 1300x based budget gaming PC which i intend not to overclock, but after an upgrade to zen 2-3 high performance chip and OC that hard.
you are saying my mobo might not be compatible so would it be a good choice to get an A320 board?
ever shekels I can save brings me joy

Has anyone here actually used the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 ( newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856005 ) with their Ryzen CPU on a B350 motherboard like Logical Increments suggests? If so did you have any trouble mounting it? Not all places that sell it have it listed as AM4 compatible and a lot of user reviews seem to say it was hard to attach and required so much force it nearly broke their board while the reviews for the Noctua alternative are smooth sailing.

I want a PC with a 1080 Ti and a Coffee Lake CPU.

I'm stuck on the GPU, and RAM. I haven't put together a PC since 2006, so I'm stuck.

Does it matter what 1080 Ti I should get? Can I just get the cheapest?

I hate that I can't decide. I am getting this computer to play Star Citizen as comfortably as possible, but without going for the absolute top tier of all the models.

get the noctua. logical increments is merely a baseline

It's 3 times the price though, since I don't intend to do any overclocking it would be overkill.

Star citizen is a very demanding game, though saying that I think it's only going to become better optimized over time. I would go for the 1080ti variant with the most vrram, not sure of the numbers. As for ram, I'd think that 16gb should be sufficient, as long as it's a decent speed (3000mhz+)

then use the stock wraith cooler. its made by cooler master I think. its pretty gud

better wait for star citizen to have a release date before spending 1500$+ for a machine to play it. that game is the king of shifting goal posts, I remember when it was just announced people were wondering if the 780ti will be enough.

anyway, there is not a big difference between 3rd party vendors. get what ever is in stock. make sure to check your case dimensions since those cards are fucking massive

I have an 800D lying around, and yes, I have considered waiting until the game is nearing completion. But I've hit a snag, my power supply is no longer working, so I was thinking I'd maybe go all in now.

>most vrram
>3000mhz+ RAM
Got it. Does the brand matter in this case? There's a lot of price difference but not a lot of discernible differences in many cases.

The 1600X comes without a stock cooler. Figured I would want that one if I don't want to fiddle with OC-ing a regular 1600 myself.

just to clear things up, there is no such thing as the 1080ti with the most vram, that poster is a Sup Forums retard. they all have 11gb. also you don't need 3000mhz ram with an intel cpu, complete waste of money. 2400 is enough.

how much do you want to spend on a cooler, ill try to find you something

I'd say no more than 30 euros.

Looking for an entry build to pc gaymen at a reasonable price incase I don't like it and haven't blown a wad.

Been looking into it a while anyway and came up with this for 1080p high/ultra 60-75hz gaymen. Rate it please or advise.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbXdBP

I'm not a Sup Forums retard, just a poorfag who doesn't window shop at cards I can't afford

amazon.de/dp/B008A2QBDU/?tag=pcp05-21

this is what I am personally using. my 4670 hits 100% load and never goes above 64c

I think you will need to buy a bracket for am4, even though pcpartpicker says its compatible

Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it.

don't give bad advice if you have no idea how things work then, no need to mislead people who are spending thousands of dollars when you have no idea how a thing as basic as vram works

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D6BY3F

edits are personal taste, i don't like the cheap corsair CWT Chinese sweat shop PSU or the voltage regulators on the entire msi am4 lineup.

need to check ram qvl. asrock isn't as picky but you still need to check

How do you go about picking your GPUs? I'm shopping for a 1080 now and I'm unsure which to pick. I'm not sure what actual specs I should be comparing and what is just marketing bullshit.

Looking to buy off Amazon since I get 10% cash back. They have ASUS, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, and Zotac with various models of each.

Thanks user. What are makes I should avoid in general when it comes to parts?

the things to check is mostly the cooling of the internal parts. this is what caused the entire evga 10xx lineup to explode, poor vrm cooling. basically buy what ever is in stock, as long as it isnt an old evga card. some cards come factory overclocked which might be a bonus if you don't want to do it yourself

What makes the MSI AM4 boards so bad in your opinion? I came across this video stating the opposite. youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI Skip to 25:55 for the short conclusion. Not saying this guy's opinion is gospel of course.

I'm not misleading anyone, and what does my understanding of vram have to do with anything? As a matter of fact, I had a hunch that the 1080ti was only available in one variant, I wasn't 100% sure so just told him to take one with higer vram there was a lower model.

It's not a big deal, I was just trying to give advice about a game that is notoriously a pain to run. No need to be a dick.

Looks good

>calls another poster a Sup Forumstard
>thinks fast RAM doesn't help Intel CPUs
You might be tard, because fast RAM (3000+) helps Intel CPUs as long as you have the Z chipset. Otherwise you want the fastest RAM that the CPU natively works with. For the i3 8100 it's 2400; for the i5 8400 it's 2666.

*if there was a lower model

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VCwF7h
After several days of deliberations, this is the result I've come to following the input from these threads. Is there anything left to change before I buy everything? Depending on what everything else ends up costing after taxes and shipping, I might wait until later to buy an SSD.

Fucking ASUS mobo from newegg fried. Went through ASUS tech support and narrowed it down to literally just the mobo.

I'm a brit so despite buying less than a month ago, its outside its 15 day returns, and manufacturer's warranty.

Who the fuck do I push RMA through, ASUS or Newegg?

>how do you go about picking your GPUs

I picked mine because it was the cheapest EVGA 1080 SC that I could find. I had 6 fans in my case so cooling wasn't an issue.

If I had to buy again though, there are a few different things like cooling design (fans, heatsink, sensors, etc), color, RGB/etc, and whether or not I'd like to disassemble the card for a custom loop down the line.

You've got simple cards like the EVGA iCX which are pretty plain/ugly/boring but get the job done, or you can go for something like a STRIX which is an RGB fest or if you're building in a small case, the blower fan of a founder's edition would help pump air out rather than bring in heated air.

avoid corsair psus. avoid evga psus that are not named super. always check when you buy ram who is the actual maker of the ram. corsair gskill etc don't make ram. they buy it from samsung, micron, and hynix. this is also the descending order of ram quality. if you are struggling to find proper ram just go to a motherboard QVL page and copy paste the model serial followed by amazon,newegg etc

asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370 Taichi/index.asp#Memory

for example if I wanted that 3600mhz gskill ill just search F4-3600C17Q-64GTZ amazon. etc

they simple have poor Chinese mosfets while the competition in the am4 lineup uses high quality texas instruments mosfets

sorry didn't mean to offend you

the diminishing returns between 2666 and 3000 on an intel cpu makes it not worth it IMO to waste money on, especially with current ram prices

its better to first buy an ssd and then waiting to buy a disk drive. so you won't have the hassle of moving your OS around. id buy a different board and a different psu. evga uses multiple OEMS for their psu lineup and that one is not one of the good ones. for board suggestions read the thread

eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/uk/

Thank you, you sweet sweet fuck. Warranties are a bloody nightmare

post results when they try to jerk you around

Are Cougar VTX psu's any good?

Very helpful, I'll keep that in mind.

Faster than you think

their website says they use high quality mosfets, but don't specificity who they buy them from. maybe check the online manual to see who is their supplier

Rough going m8

lmao.

try to rma via newegg
help.newegg.com/contactus

Thoughts?
prices are without taxes, multiple by 1.2
final price is at the end

I like it. but wait for cheaper motherboards. you will end up overpaying for features you won't be using. wait for the H lineup

I really wantto build a computer for my little brother to stream lol and overwatch

this is the rig. Is it good

pcpartpicker.com/list/XCCvPs

do you think i can build it before his birthday on november 13?

I wanned mATX B360 but googling and some articles claim they wont even come this year
thats also why case is only blank 50€

it will be girly PC for sims and general use

shit

You must be trolling.

fix it, start with cpu
$300 for i7-6700 is terrible

you should invest some (a lot) more into GPU

The memory QVL lists are so small for the MSI AM4 B350 boards and even more so for the ASRock AB350 Pro4. Logical Increments recommends 8 and 16 GB of 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX. Do those work at their intended speeds even if they are not on the QVL list?

Vega 64 Limited Edition for 570€ after shipping.
Worth it or not?
A 1080 is 600€ and a 1080TI is 760-800€ in my country.

I have a FreeSync monitor by the way (2560x1080 144hz).

Please respond, stock is limited but I also don't want to get memed and get poo in the GPU.

maybe
dont know if its not on the qvl

he said brother is playing overwatch and lol
he should not overdo it

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here that tested them or uses them themselves.

Is this any good? I want to play video games and have this thing last me a long time.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqW7KZ
Only have one fan listed there since I'll just salvage the one out of my current computer and also use that, but would that be enough for cooling?

you can save loads of money by going with ryzen. 1300x and some cheap motherboard.

Sent an email.
If ASUS can't recognise the serial then I can very much assume this is doubly newegg's fault.

Also, there wasn't a warranty information card/pamphlet in the damned box.

>look for user reports
Or check RyMem

>Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO
get cryorig h7

are you seriously going budget cpu while going for 2x gtx1070?
also do not get two gpus
its dead, get single powerful gpu - gtx1080ti is better and without multitude of issues
and get m.2 ssd
and you can cut on the mobo if not going sli

That's Mondays for you. Full of absolute shite. Good luck anyway.

PLEASE RESPOND

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gtHLM8

I have the m9i on my 8400 and even that is overkill.

how much is a 1070 in ur country

Get the m9i, dont spend 45 on a cooler, its a waste of money. Get the cheapest mobo you can find, there is an msi one for 130 that supports sli

430 to 500€ depending on model or if refurbished.
Is the 1070 even good enough for 144hz? I don't think so.

>overkill
how did you come up to that conclusion?

I have cryrig h7 on 6600k at 4.4ghz and gaming temps can get 75°C
also on my 1700 build I have hyper 212+ and had to change fan cuz loud as fuck
h7 is dead silent and its size allows it to fit in to mATX cases too, plus never ram blocake... its really no question if its only few $ away

buy a 1070 / 1080

I cannot get the 8400 hot with the m9i in prime95 and intel burn test, so to pay more is pointless. The 8400 is locked, paying almost 50 dollars for a cooler is stupid.

What's the best CPU for a home server PC? Its going to be running a web server and a nas predominantly. I'm thinking it might be safer to run the two separate from each other or in vms so that if the web server is compromised the nas will still be fine. Nas will be purely local. I'm think a 1200 should be fine but idk