Daily reminder that appimages are the future of installing applications on Linux systems

Daily reminder that appimages are the future of installing applications on Linux systems.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/78e93j/pirates_are_now_packing_windows_games_with/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

go fuck yourself, that is the cancer that will kill linux. Go play with windows if you're so into MSinstaller style bullshit

Great. Now Linux is become filthy gay dumbissey.

BSD, here I comm

Please kill yourself

autism

>runs everywhere
>not just bundling the whole OS
>what is docker
>what is flatapp
Shit bait.

>what is docker
>what is flatapp

toys/tools for server admins, nothing the average desktop user would ever touch

>Shit bait.

Nice projection.

>autistic screeching

>use appimage
>have 100 copies of the same library because each one uses the bundled version instead of the systemwide one
>security vulnerability discovered
>have to updated 100 appimages instead of just one package

>stop trying to fix the biggest problem with Linux because I say so

>biggest problem in linux
Since when was app installation a problem? Repos and package managers make Windows' paradigm look like fucked garbage.

>want program
>search in package manager
>install with one click or command
>everything vetted by repo managers

Vs

>want program
>search Google
>look for correct program from original distributor
>download
>hope to God it's not a virus
>click to execute installer
>click through installer filled with ads
>no vetting of apps whatsoever

Why would you want to go back?

>Library is updated, it is faulty, break 100 applications instead of just one.

That meme is dead, frogposter.

>>want program
>Is not there
>You are fuck

There, I fixed it for you.

This. Retards can't into understanding the awesomeness of package managers, especially check install + apt or Gentoo's Portage. It's literally better than any package manager and app-snapping garbage around except for the fact it takes an insanely long time.

Then compile from source into a package or find a non-standard repo. Don't turn Linux into gay "app" garbage. There's NixOS if you want isolated app configs that have all traces removed once uninstalled

You fuckers don't understand that is better to have an image compatible betwen all distros that have a different package for every distro and every version of that distro, some are not ported, some get outdated, it is not viable.

>Then compile from source into a package or find a non-standard repo.

>Compile from source.

Sure, if your time is worthless, go ahead, there are prolly 20% chances of success when compiling from a vendor anyway.

Don't pretend it's not a pain.

>the less convenient my operating system is the smarter I am
No

This would be the best way take software not only free, but convenient. The best if both worlds

But you're too blind and fucking stupid to see that

Shame. All that potential in your brain and this is what you output back into computing .

That ain't Nix or Guix.

I'd say only some software should be used in form of AppImages/flatpaks/snapmemes, namely proprietary 32-bit-only botnets like Steam (in case your system is exclusively 64-bit), or obscure things that either aren't available in your package manager or require other obscure shit that isn't in there. I like to think of them like Java jars, but much better in every aspect.

>Then compile from source into a package or find a non-standard repo

1998 wants you back

You are all autists
oooo make install impossible

>oooo make install impossible

>Look, it needs a dependency, is not there
>Look, that compiler switch is wrong
>Look, the dependency library is there, but is not the versión I need.
>Look, it is the version I need, but I need it to be 32bits, how do I get that?
>Look, the dependency is there and is 32 bit but the name ends woth .so.2, what to do now?
>Look, after hours and hours it compliles with tons of warnings but the program doesn't star because "service n" is not running
>Oh look, SeLinux bloked it, now what?

And that is whythe Linux DE will never be mainstream.

Literally never happend to me and I use an OS that doesnt have a package manager so I have to compile everything. Is it really hard to google search what dependencies something needs before trying to install it

>Literally never happend to me

>Works for me . TM.

well when you use an OS in which all you can do is compile and I install a lot of shit its a good indicator that if it doesnt work an someone elses shit there not doing it right

>want program
>Is not there
>You are fuck

That, or
>want program
>is there, but it's a 1.5 year old version because repo doesn't (((approve))) the latest version
>have to add external repos and PPAs

This is the state of Linux, ladies and gentlemen. There has to be a better way.

Then install an os with newer packages or install from source.

Oh, so you're telling me I shouldn't be using the latest Ubuntu LTS?

yes thats exactly what im saying

this is what thwarts normal people from using linux lul
never gonna take off

>fuck having options why do that user
if something like somtimes having to compile things or picking a distro throw you off from linux I dont want you on my platform

>mfw use Gentoo
>default repos have a lot of packages already
>overlays have even more and there's a centralized place for finding overlays
>outdated packages never occur unless there's an actually good reason
>even then there's ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**"
>based Portage has slotting so new version can be installed together with old one so packages depending on old version still work
>mfw meme distro is actually godlike

>that if it doesnt work an someone elses shit there not doing it right

Or that the stuff you are compiling is pretty mundane and nothing from a third party vendor.

>There has to be a better way.

see

it's like OS X app bundles. only worse. and 30 years too late.

>what is aur
If you're seriously either:
a) "I want my program here and now and I don't give a shit that probably there is a reason why my distro doesn't ship it" crybaby.
b) Retarded dipshit who can't compile shady shit in dedicated directory and run via firejail to minimize possible harm.
Then arch is a way to go. Run pamac -S , that's it.

>it's like OS X app bundles

That's why it is good.

I personally like and appreciate Appimage

name one (1) example of a widely used malicious application on the aur

>Doesn’t integrate with existing desktop themes
DOA

>apps

NORMANS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Keep your applications up to date with the libraries you're using then. Fuck's sake.

This thread shows exactly why Linux is and always will be a piece of shit.

/thread

truth

t. using linux for 2 months

>install from source
so ez as 1-2-3

just telnet into the kukundu and send your output of
tiny | grep pinus
and everything will be revealed about the package

arch dosent have this problem

stop trying to turn Linux into windows

That stuff existed for over a decade: 0install.net

But don't you want Linux to become more popular?

What's the point of using Linux if it becomes just as shitty as Windows?

That's what he said you fucking dumbass
Updating a library which has a regression in the new version breaks 100 programs instead of 1

This is an improvement

If you don't agree you will have to make a package for my tetris game for:
>arch
>ubuntu 17 all the way down to 4
>fedora
>solus
and other distros, and you will have to update it too every day.

for free

How much of your disk space is occupied by programs and libs?
I bet it is negligible compared to videos, fotos, music etc.

That's the distros job.
All I have to provide is "make install"

How are you going to make your app popular so that many people use it and you can make money from it?

By making it good?

>Since when was app installation a problem
It has always been a problem. Installing applications and drivers the Windows way shits on all these Linux packages.

This guy gets it.

That won't cut it. It has to be both good and easy to purchase from the widest available market on the day of the release. In order for your app to succeed the download links have to be available immediately in your presentation page, not "wait until distro maintainers package it". And nobody is going to bother to install it. Snaps, flatpaks and appimages do the second thing in Linux world.

*nobody is going to bother to install it from source (I suppose you meant binary blobs + make?)

Maybe when you make some shitty phone app.
But if you're making something actually good and useful people will use it.

Flatpak and Snap are the future of Linux

>But if you're making something actually good and useful people will use it.
I don't care. I will take money from anywhere. Only an idiot would refuse it. Easy installation provides an income flow from both "useful people" (who can bother wasting their time installing it from source or making a package), and for normal people too (the majority of people who just want to enjoy the thing).

Normies don't use Linux anyway so who cares.

Are pirates using Appimage, too?

reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/78e93j/pirates_are_now_packing_windows_games_with/

Next you're going to tell me we should store system & program configuration in a central database.

No. It's 3% and rising.
And it's rising not because there's is an aspergers epidemic, but because there's an influx of normies. Linux is becoming a viable market, so snap, flatpak and appimages will increase in importance.

You made the same fucking thread yesterday. Appimages are shit, Snappy and Guix are far better solutions.

what's wrong with sandboxed applications?
no one is saying the whole system will be packaged like that.

>makes it in java
There

Doesn't solve anything, retard. The .jars are not going to install themselves. Icons, .desktop files too.

>YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP SOON
I heard all this shit before.
Stop bending backwards to make Linux into something it's not. You just end up with the same shit you tried to escape by switching to Linux.

It's going to happen.
It's too convenient for it to not. A few noisy people on an imageboard means fucking jack shit if it makes everyone else's lives easier.

>You just end up with the same shit you tried to escape by switching to Linux.
I just want open-source windows.

You are living in an autistic dreamworld.

>download JVM
>open jar files
>???

>You just end up with the same shit you tried to escape by switching to Linux.

Just werx and decent UI is not what people want to escape. It's what they miss when they try to switch to Linux.

>download JVM
dropped, too much trouble
Also
>where is the icon
>why is it not in start menu
>where is the desktop shortcut
>where is the quick launch shortcut on panel
>where is it on the app store
Just fuck off.

First, go fuck yourself.
Don't turn Linux into the same horrible arcane opaque mess that Windows is, just because you're a freetard too dumb to use anything else.
Second if you care so much about open-source then why do you want to support proprietary third-party software more?

Kernel and distro should be free so I could flee the sinking ship (distro) if it became too bad.

Userspace can and should be proprietary, that's how I make money

>just werks
>decent UI
That's what a package manager allows.

The mess you got on Windows neither "just werks" or has a "decent UI".

So because you're too dumb for kernel space development you make this distinction?

>turn Linux into windows

appimages are actually similar to OSX apps and have nothing to do with Windows install. Just go back to posting your shitty anime wallpapers and arch screenfetches in desktop threads. To each his own.

>Snappy and Guix are far better solutions.

Nobody is going to touch this overcomplicated and distro-tribalistic crap

>where is all this shit
Use Xfce > edit applications: add launcher, paste the location to the executable in "command", add any icon you want, drag it anywhere you want.
>app store
Dropped, too buggy and unreliable.

>Windows

>appimages

Shows how dumb you are.

portableapps.com

No, because I don't think you can make money from selling fucking kernels, but the corp owning the kernel can have a lot of influence on your app.

>Use Xfce
Implying someone is going to reinstall their DE for an app
>add launcher
>paste the location to the executable in "command"
>add any icon you want
>drag it anywhere you want.
Nobody's going to bother.
>Dropped, too buggy and unreliable.
That's the future tho. Normies love them

Spotify, dropbox, fman.
It's harmful software by Uriel definition because electron, and also brobriedary botnet which doesn't respects your freedom.
It's literally on the top of entire aur. Lmao.

You can make money by writing kernel modules.
But you're not one of them, so fuck anyone that's not you I guess?

>Uriel
kek
faggot commited suicide

You are not forced to use AppImages/Flatpaks/Snaps for your kernel modules, in fact, I doubt it would be even possible. Also, your userbase would probably be tech-competent.

These new technologies are not going to replace anything, they're going to ease up the life of app developers.

You're missing my point.
You're making an arbitrary distinction of what should be FOSS and what should be proprietary.
Just because your hip electron apps, or whatever crap you make, run in userspace.

>You're making an arbitrary distinction of what should be FOSS and what should be proprietary.
Ideally, everything would be FOSS. If we can't have that, at least have kernel and distro FOSS.

>everything should be FOSS except when I make software
Why should Linux cater to useless assholes like you?

Sounds reasonable. For all other programs the approach of Nix or Guix Sd for reproducible packages across distros is more elegant

The concept of Guix may be a bit more abstract than
>muh just bundle all the shit into one file
But I don't see why this should be a concern to the user. The package manager is doing all the "complicated" stuff for you.

It's actually fucking amazing to me how many linux autists can't seem to wrap their heads around this

Are you guys literally fucking brainlets?

I just started using Linux and I immediately recognized that installing anything without the package manager being involved is a fucking trainwreck, and learning how devs have to update shit for every different distro under the sun just made the trainwreck even more obvious

And yet here in this thread are complete morons arguing that it's not a problem

I can't say that appimages or snapplepacks or flatboxes or whatever the fuck, is the right approach, but at least it's an APPROACH. Don't see the fuckheads complaining about this stuff trying to fix and improve linux. Just a bunch of whiners like gnome and gimp devs, pretending shit isn't broke when it obviously is

Don't you see user, if you want to beat them, you must become them.