Anyone else noticing how Linux, and by Linux yes I mean GNU/Linux so don't you fucking interject on me now...

Anyone else noticing how Linux, and by Linux yes I mean GNU/Linux so don't you fucking interject on me now, is just getting more and more comfy to use over the years?

I mean pretty much any bigger distro, doesn't matter if it's Ubuntu and Debian based, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Manjaro, openSUSE, etc. is just getting comfier and comfier by every new release? Same goes for WMs and DEs. Doesn't matter if you run i3, bspwm, Openbox or GNOME, KDE monsters or XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, doesn't fucking matter it's just comfy as fuck. Doesn't matter if I use vim, notepadqq, Code Blocks, Eclipse or Idea, it's just an enjoyable experience and has been for a long while.

Remember trying to get ATI card to run on Linux back in 2003? That was a nightmare. Now you put your AMD card and everything works perfectly fine. You turn on your shit HP printer on Manjaro or Ubuntu and it's installed within a couple of clicks and one password dialog box.

I fucking love using computers again. If I had to use Windows or Macs I'd be fucking depressed, seriously.

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, same. But you didn't need to make a thread about this. It's just going to get shitposted to hell and back

>Anyone else noticing how Linux, and by Linux yes I mean GNU/Linux so don't you fucking interject on me now, is just getting more and more comfy to use over the years?

No.

>you didn't need to make a thread about this

I didn't need to. I wanted to.

We all use computers on everyday basis, but in my opinion Linux has been making my life a whole lot easier and even fun in the past years. To an extent FreeBSD as well.

the reasons are wayland is replacing X which was the cause of about 90% of problems. Also more drivers being released means shit just works out of the box now. Gnome may be hated but it just works and is fairly modern and stable.

wayland isnt ready

show screenfetch pls

Yeah, Ganoo plus Linus is not a world of pain anymore. Free software overall is kinda falling behind though. In the past I could say that GIMP with some plugins is a decent PS alternative but now the gap is so big that they are not even in the same league anymore.
Overall I am glad that GNU/Linux is getting better but the progress is very slow.

I think stuff is just becoming more complicated. Running a nice and simple system is increasingly becoming inconvenient, and not as comfy as it used to be 5-10 years ago. At the same time, I feel FreeBSD and OpenIndiana is becoming more and more tempting. Been exploring FreeBSD lately, and while it isn't simple, it does seem really nice.

>getting comfier
i don't know op, using gnome 2 on ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04 was top comfy. then gnome 3 came in, a fuckload of "gnome alternatives" appeared, and all of them are trash/bloated. hardware support improved, sure, but that's probably the only redeeming thing.

oh and pulseaudio/systemd became a thing. i won't ever forgive red hat for this bullshit. at least pulse is okay-ish now, after fucking years of pain.

If your an art fag you should be using osx anyway.

>whines about systemd
>admits it improved pulse audio
wew

I kinda do because it's a suicide to work in graphic design without Adobe products but why should anyone use proprietory software? GNU/Linux in not strictly a system for Linux devs anymore. At least this is what I like to think.

i never said that though. alsa was shit, pulse managed to be worse than alsa for a few years. only recently it stopped giving people constant headaches. it still is worse than coreaudio and whatever windows audio subsystem is, and all of the linux alternatives to it (jack, oss) are better.

just because it barely works now doesn't mean it's good. if only oss devs weren't so stupid and kept it open-source...

I feel the opposite. I think it sucks much more now. 2010 was the last good year of linux, then the whole unity/gnome shell shit started and all the emergence of all these half baked DE.

>GNU/Linux in not strictly a system for Linux devs anymore. At least this is what I like to think.
LOL
I wish I could be as delusional.

You know you don't have to use a DE.

I have med student friends who use Linux for school and they're doing fine. Maybe you should stop assuming that progress on Linux hasn't stalled in the 90s. You don't have to want to use it, but you are being delusional if you think it hasn't been improving

has stalled in the 90s*

Comfy as fuck.

Totally. However it took a really long time thanks to freeturd/open source related autism.

Also btw, Gnome is a disaster and KDE is still pretty bad.

It's true.

I want to go back in time before gtk3 and systemd.

use gtk2 and openrc

I actually am, but I still want to go back.

They're both fine.

GNOME is cool. I even use it without extensions. I also dig their philosophy of keeping everything simple and uncluttered but removing tray icons is kinda retarded.
KDE is still a mess, though. It looks debatable and have so maby little issues that it's just uncimfirtable to use.

OP what is that file manager you have open in that image?

>implying Sup Forums is anything but a colossal shitposting board

lmao go study up for your cert exams pajeet

Screenshots.

>GNU/Linux so don't you fucking interject on me now
KEK

>Anyone else noticing how Linux, and by Linux yes I mean GNU/Linux so don't you fucking interject on me now, is just getting more and more comfy to use over the years?
>I mean pretty much any bigger distro, doesn't matter if it's Ubuntu and Debian based, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Manjaro, openSUSE, etc. is just getting comfier and comfier by every new release? Same goes for WMs and DEs. Doesn't matter if you run i3, bspwm, Openbox or GNOME, KDE monsters or XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, doesn't fucking matter it's just comfy as fuck. Doesn't matter if I use vim, notepadqq, Code Blocks, Eclipse or Idea, it's just an enjoyable experience and has been for a long while.
>Remember trying to get ATI card to run on Linux back in 2003? That was a nightmare. Now you put your AMD card and everything works perfectly fine. You turn on your shit HP printer on Manjaro or Ubuntu and it's installed within a couple of clicks and one password dialog box.
>I fucking love using computers again. If I had to use Windows or Macs I'd be fucking depressed, seriously.
yeah

Looks like Thunar

so i've been working at microsoft companies for the last ~7 years since graduating school and haven't really been using gnu/linux outside of the odd file server, VPS, raspberry pi, or dicking around with my openwrt routers.

i installed Manjaro ~3 months ago because all my friends make more money than i do, so i thought i better start getting into some devops / web / cloud stuff. WOW has gnu+Linux come a long way. Even bumblebee works on this stupid thinkpad.

But also, that was after getting it installed. Manjaro still hasn't figured out how to setup their installer to use LVM on LUKS, or just LVM, or btrfs with custom subvolumes (although this may work now).

I'm thinking of even trying Ubuntu just to see if it's not shit anymore and because they just released the new version. I gave up on Ubuntu back when they ruined the Control+alt+backspace to kill X server key combo. i thought they were ruining our secret club by making linux more user friendly. I've come to appreciate their work.

yeah, the bugs are less and less common, it just works nowadays (debian testing with XFCE)

I still haven't figured out how to get my shit HP printer to work with Antergos

>so i've been working at microsoft companies

stopped reading there. your opinion is shit.

>Control+alt+backspace to kill X server key combo.
babby, if you can't handle that you should probably just stay writing your shit .net fart apps

HP printers have the best support on Linux.

What's the model?

wait shit nvm just it's a Canon not HP

Lets all stop hating each other based on what distro we originate from.

I feel you brother. I feel you

Extremely comfy

cum fee

That looks like actual shit. WTF!?

I've been using it as my daily driver since XP's end of life. Like you, it really does suit me better then windows ever did. programming in linux is so enjoyable, almost everything you need is a terminal command away. it really helped facilitate my learning with everything really. wine plays the games I love and I have fine tuned the system into something that I love using(i3wm-dmenu and tons of homemade bash scripts/programs. it's just fun mang.. feels limitless sometimes)

linux still has many problems, it's definitely not the be all end all... but for me, my worst days with linux beat most of the best days with windows.

cum foo

wall?

For real. WMs aren't particularly difficult to install or use. i3 is probably the friendliest thing I've tried so far—as long as you possess the testicular fortitude to actually open and read the config file.

here's the original

The only problem is it doesn't have any video games.
I'd totally use a linux laptop as my dd, I just don't see a need for another computer.

It does have videogames, you're just being stupid on purpose

yes famil, it really is getting better and better

recently symlinked my user dconf into dropbox, so everything on my desktop and laptop are synchronized. comfy af

It does have games, but not the games you like.

no

win7 is comfiest OS

thanks (´・ω・`)

confirmed for comfy.

glad i dont have to driver hunt anymore.
all peripherals just work.

the only stuff that didnt was razer gear but i hear thats fixed now and i didnt use that crap anyways.

/comfeve/
Thankx Linux tech Tips for this wonderful dwarf 3 desktop.

It doesn't have the games I play on PC.
Sorry I wasn't specific enough to please your autism.
correct

wording matters, user. It's not about autism, it's about saying what you mean. There is a very important distinction between "no games" and "none of my games"

Wait, sorry I read the OP wrong, I meant Yes

"No games" is true for the vast majority of people, and besides that, it's a meme.

Linux has very poor game support outside a small minority of titles, and this is common fucking knowledge.

Don't be so literal user. I know Sup Forums is full of programmers but people aren't computers. Sometimes we exaggerate in conversation.

it'd be cool if you could click on the checkerboard tiles and it would light up and open an application

>8,000+ games on steam alone, no wine required
Windows has no games

Nuh uh it comes with Solitaire (again)

You need a blur filter with random noise so you can actually read what's on those transparent parts

yeah, it's still no where near windows in that aspect. but it really is getting better all the time. I'm more of a retro-gamer(early 00s and pre 00s), so most games I play usually work fine in wine/emulators.

most indie games tend to have a Linux port these days(especially unity games) and there seems to be more and more AAAs comming out every year. just bought TW:Warhammer a few months back and i've had zero problems with it.

>buying games

>Not having money to buy games.

live long and fix bugs

And how many of those games are things people care about, as opposed to indietrash shovelware?

Ah, yes, that yearning for novelty.

..or ancient ports

no idea. I haven't touched a game on Windows in years.

In all seriousness though, there are more and more AAA games coming to Linux. Sure, there are indie trash games too, but those are also on Windows. Linux still has support for games people enjoy such as the Divinity series, and games that anons above mentioned or attached in screenshots.

if by "comfy" you mean that its fucking impossible to get videos to play smoothly unless your DE is non-composited, or you fullscreen the browser with F11, then you are totally right

Distro/browser/hardware? How about I just help you get this shit working?

I feel like things are really moving in the right direction, even if slowly.

>wayland (when it's eventually ready and sees adoption a few centuries from now) will fix a lot of the jankiness associated with X
>qt is ousting gtkancer
>universal package formats like snaps and flatpak will hopefully help end some of the fragmentation issue
>more and more distributions are putting a focus on working well out of the box and being user friendly
>game developers are starting to pay more mind to linux, new APIs like vulkan will make the situation even better, and gpu passthrough offers a pretty definitive alternative to dual booting now (and presumably the gpu passthrough solution will get a lot better/streamlined in the future)
>things in general just werk better

And I'm sure there's plenty more I'm missing.

a mid 2014 (or mid 2013?) macbook pro with ubuntu 17.10
I have been installing different distros and DEs all month, so, I don't really care if I need to install a new setup
the best I can do with firefox is enabling hardware acceleration and by force enabling openGL, but it still looks horrible (I don't even know where to start with chromium, I could never get it to be smooth)

Literally my only problem with GNU/Linux is that the battery life sucks ass so I take issue with using it on a laptop. I use Fedora 26 on my desktop, Debian on my servers, but I'm still stuck with Windows 10 LTSB on my laptop. I get almost triple the battery life on it than I did under Fedora with XFCE. I mean it's a different story on my little Acer Chromebook where I can easily get 10 hours under Fedora (12 hours advertised with Chrome OS) but on my ThinkPad the difference is almost 4 hours (2 under Fedora, 5-6 under Windows). It makes a huge difference for me when I'm at work and I can't be tethered to a wall when I'm constantly running around and doing reports. Seriously, Linux battery life is abhorrent and it's the least comfy laptop experience. I'd use it on my work machine if I could get a solid 5 hours. It's the same under Ubuntu and Debian, by the way.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I really don't want to have to run a bunch of command line programs to fix what should be happening out of the box. This experience has also prevented me from purchasing a MS Surface tablet and installing GNU/Linux even though that would be 200% comfy.

Hm, my t510 gets around 5 or 6 hours on battery. I suppose using less resource intensive processes might help. For me, using unity brings that value down do ~4 hours, so I use i3 most of the time

Oh shit nigga. I think Firefox might be your issue here. If you can install Chromium along with the Pepper Flash plugin (should be in your distro's repo), that should clear most of this up. Your macbook should be able to handle this for sure though. Have you considered giving a distro like Elementary OS a try? You can check it out here:

elementary.io/

That's weird, I have an old Samsung laptop that could only survive for 2:30h when I was running Windows 8.1, and that didn't change when I installed BunsenLabs a few months ago.

yea, I really like the epiphany web browser that it comes with, videos play really smoothly, but I wasn't that into the scrolling situation, it seems kind of blocky (which makes sense, because I don't think epiphany uses hardware acceleration)
if the pepper flash plugin doesn't work for me, I guess I will go back to ephiphany

Well, obviously the battery life will be better if you're using lightweight window managers like Openbox or i3 but I need a full featured desktop environment with all the bells and whistles that gives me shit like Libre Office, a calculator, and all sorts of other stuff with easy multitasking using the mouse. I have no desire to learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts that will only slow down my workflow. It's fine for home use but not on the job. I need something that I can install and have just work out of the box. Fedora XFCE does exactly that except the battery life is bad.

IMO comparing a lightweight WM to a full Windows desktop is like comparing apples to oranges.

Sounds like a good plan, my dude. I really would try to avoid hardware acceleration though. These days, software rendering can be quite a bit more stable.

Are you sure it wouldn't speed up your workflow? I spend half my week answering support tickets via Zendesk for our API, and I find i3 quite useful.

>Are you sure it wouldn't speed up your workflow?
Yes, I'm sure. I've been using the mouse to navigate operating systems all my life, and more recently I've learned to use touch screens on smartphones and tablets. I can't stand using a keyboard to control a GUI.

>Remember trying to get ATI card to run on Linux back in 2003?

Trying to get anything running back in the 90s was a nightmare. I was 14 in 1998 and Linux was a clusterfuck. I don't miss it at all. These days pretty much every distro works out of the box on any kind of hardware and you can just install it and get on with work. Thank fuck.

I can respect how hard to adapt to something new. Do you think it's actually the WM that's to blame here though? I understand preference and your right to it, but I think you might just need to adapt more to a WM before you can see the potential there. Software isn't bad because it's not what you're used to—it's just different and requires time to learn like anything else.

But things like libre office work in i3. If you need a full desktop environment I guess try lxde or xfce, but honestly i3 has such sane keyboard controls that you'll honestly feel the mouse is a waste of time with navigating windows after a day or two

Truth. Workspaces are just about the best thing ever, too. You just press the Win/Alt key (your choice), and a number to switch workspaces—each one can hold several open programs of your choice, in whatever layout you choose. That can be really useful for multitasking.

Yeah, you basically had to use the hardware that the devs used if you wanted any kind of a "sorta just works" experience. Otherwise it was terrible.

>Do you think it's actually the WM that's to blame here though?
Oh no, window managers are cool. I'm just stuck in my ways because I'm getting old. Leaning to use a tiling WM sounds like a headache inducing exercise in futility.

Another thing I want is easily accessible system settings. And I want all of it out of the box with as little tinkering as possible. There are times when I want hobbyist software and there are times when I want something that's easy and dependable. IceWM is probably the best I could ever settle for but it's so old and lacking lots of features. I'd rather not compromise.

But in XFCE I can add that in two seconds as a panel widget and just click the workspaces. Or I can just minimize stuff into the tray and multitask like that, just like I do on Windows.

Well if you're that averse to change there's nothing we can do. My suggestion would be to tinker with it at home, figure out whatever shortcuts, scripts, config settings you need, and then move them to your work device. Best of luck

>everything works perfectly fine
Then why do AMD GPUs have a 90% performance loss when compared to windows?

Wayland has nothing to do with this. It's only available on a few distros.

windows has more garbage games. Pic related.
As for Linux games, it has access to almost 30% of PC games, not counting browser games. Which is a lot and more than enough for anyone who has a PC+console since most popular games are on consoles. For everything else there's WINE.

>Then why do AMD GPUs have a 90% performance loss when compared to windows?
wat, vega literally outperforms nvidia on linux