/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Other thread is bump-limit and about to 404, so I'll just make a new one.

The fan on my laptop (HP2000) had been spinning fast and my laptop was overheating. Everybody on the internet told me to blow compressed air and/or vaccuum the vents to clean dust out. I did that, and now when I try to turn on my computer I get an error message saying:

>The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
>Continued operation is not recommended and may cause ...
>etc.
>System Fan (90B)
>...
>For more information, please visit: www.hp/go/techcenter/startup

that link doesn't work btw, leads to a dead page.

Anyway, what do? I've seen videos of taking apart and cleaning/replacing the fan for the laptop, it looks easy and should be something I can do myself. But that's what I said about the compressed air cleaning and that just fucked it up. Can somebody without any experience with hardware take apart the laptop, replace a busted fan, and put it back together without messing anything up? Would it be worth it to hire a pro to fix it?

Other alternative is buying a new laptop, which I was planning on doing within a year anyway. Most of my important stuff is already backed up, but I don't want to lose my folders of Sup Forums shitposts that aren't backed up. If I get a new laptop how can I retrieve data? How long could I run the laptop without a fan, could I do a few minutes at a time to get a few memes out then shut down to cool off? If I try taking it apart and fixing the fan myself, what's the risk that I cause irreparable data loss by fucking something up?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestvpn.com/roll-openvpn-server-vps-using-centos-6/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Document_readers
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM
amazon.it/gp/product/B071RCW1KY/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to get TB3 dock. Budget is $45. must have
>4+ USB 3.0 ports (the more the better)
>an SD Card slot
>headphone jack
Which should I get?

>Get urge to dual boot Win10 for games after running just Ubuntu for awhile
>Installs fine, think I'm in the clear
>actually using it is a nightmare, CPU going fucking bonkers all the time for no discernible reason, sometimes even spiking to 100% usage, notice some graphical issues just moving windows around
>reinstall it, same results
>try to ask question on windows forums, keep getting told I'm outside the character limit even though I'm nowhere near it
what do?

Is it possible to make a stable 5v power source using only bunch of cheap chinese PV cells and nimh batteries?

So a friend of mine that doesn't know anything about computers recently moved to a country that has strict anti piracy laws. So to help him I thought of setting up a vpn on a vps that is in my country,that no anti piracy laws are enforced so he can connect to it so he can watch whatever he pleases securely. Does my plan sound good and safe ? What would be the easiest way of setting up a vpn though on an ubuntu box ? I found this guide bestvpn.com/roll-openvpn-server-vps-using-centos-6/ which is for centos but probably it's the same for every linux.

any1 knows how to prioritise suggested links in address bar in ff? like i type 'k' and get the 2 most frequently visited sites but i want to choose which one is at the top

Set up a vm with gpu passthrough instead.

Every time I boot, Windows does chkdsk, and finds things to fix.
Is there anything I can do about this, or should I accept the fact that my hard drive is dying?

anyone know how i can transfer Notes from an iPhone to my laptop, freely? thanks

Whe a CPU decides that it is time to preempt, does it preempt all cores at the same time?

thank you, will probably do this

How do I make/import a package to another part of my code in netbeans?
My src folder has the original project folder (only has main class), and one that I copied that I want to use. The copied files are just .java files.
What would I need to do to let the main class see and use these other files?

I think my hard drive is on the way out.

My computer freezes for 20-30 seconds once every hour or so and I can't do anything, the mouse is the only thing responsive although I can't click or drag anything. It's been getting worse lately.

What can I do? Windows 7, 250 GB

How difficult is it to get RMAs and replacements for parts and mobos from Newegg and ASUS?

How likely are they to dick me over for it?
I posted yesterday after completely confirming that it was my mobo that was fried, and found the serial that was provided for the mobo wasn't recognised by ASUS's RMA system, so am trying to ram it through Newegg.

What do I need to look out for?

Get a new HDD and backup yours ASAP.

I currently have a Win7 desktop because I gayem a ton, and I'm getting a thinkpad x220 for school and programming and am planning on running Linux on it, and want to use a dock to connect to my existing mouse keyboard and two monitors, and run my desktop in a window in linux, most likely through a vnc. That way I can use my Thinkpad for everything that isn't super hardware intensive and/or linux compatible, while keeping it my main machine. Whats the quickest way to connect a VNC/alternative too a VNC? Networking is kinda slow, so maybe USB?

Why is it a big deal for Windows if I want to save a file on the root C:/

There's also CrystalDIskInfo to check if there's anything wrong with your HDD, but you probably won't be able to interpret the S.M.A.R.T. data if you don't know about this already.

My laptop makes a buzzing noise when I press 1 and it is 75 degrees on idle, is this normal?
CPU:i5 8250u
GPU: mx150

I need help I basically cloned my harddrive but had to reinstall windows so it all went into the windows.old folder, I got most of my personal shit but I can't get any of the old drivers, and I can't seem to fucking install any new drivers.

What is the best and comfiest AIMP skin by far?

When my former build/hdd died it did the same thing except the audio would buzz aswell and the mouse didn't respond either, the whole thing just locked up

Luckily my ryzen just werks now

Last thread 404'd so

What is the name given to the cipher where you enter a word and it generates the key with that word plus the rest of the alphabet? So if the input were ORANGE, the key would be ORANGEBCDFHIJKLMPQSTUVWXYZ.

I enjoy accessing my desktop from afar via ssh, but my ISP keeps changing my public IP.

Are there any good ways to keep track of my public IP? I've thought of writing a simple telegram bot that could give me the IP when I ask, but telegram is an unsecure POS and I'd rather avoid it.

NOIP which gives out free subdomains has a linux and windows (not sure about mac) tool which updates it's domain's redirect to the current IP.

When I play games in borderless/fullscreen(?) the screen flickers to the point it's unplayable.

Like imagine 60FPS but every other frame was black and giving me a seizure.
I'm on Windows 10 LTSB, but this is a problem with some games and not others and even emulators like PPSSPP have this problem on the main menu.

What do?

Which pdf program does Sup Forums use?
Which is approved, free but not shitty?

Thanks!

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Document_readers

What didn't windows install on its own?

Dman, I guess I need a new HDD then. Thanks

The color coding is enough for most people.

Yurofags rec me a laptop with a GPU for €1000. Hard mode: 16gb of RAM.

I've been looking to upgrade from my GTX 960, i've been looking at both the 1080 and the 1070. As it stands right now I can get 1070 for about £400 and i'm considering that.
Is that upgrade worth it? Seems to me from just a quick look it is but you folk probably know more.

Do really feel like you need more performance? i personally dont plan to upgrade my 960 4GB anytime soon.

Has anyone here tried Winyl Player? I like that it looks almost exactly like the spotify app and also seems to have a function to manage saved web radios and shit like that

I've narrowed it down to two things:
>opengl and vulkan are impacted at 768p but not directx9/11

>monitor not running in "native" res. It's a 7 year old "HDTV" which reports 1080p but is nowhere close so I leave it at 1366x768
However, I did notice Windows would switch instantly between 768p and 1080p and I've known for a while that even 7 would do this "upscaling" trick.

I think I found my own solution by applying the resolution from nvidia control panel.

Yeah I do feel like I need the extra performance. I got the 2GB version so i'm feeling that lack of VRAM in a few places. Figured a 1070 would last me as long as this one has if not longer.

I'm thinking of getting new graphics card. What's the best one that complements my rig? I was kinda thinking of 1060 3gb

>Inb4 monitors
They're temporary

I need to flash a GPU's BIOS because it won't boot on new system. Would a portable version of Windows or Linux work for this, as I don't have a hard drive on my old system and I'd rather not format my HDD again because I already spent more than a day putting backups back onto it and installing windows updates (I thought the problem would have a simpler fix so I just started getting the HDD set up already)

Is there a way to enforce 4:3 aspect ratio in WINE? I'm trying to play Brood War in full screen but it gets stretched.

What wd hdd color is the most reliable and where is the cheapest I can buy one

Twin 1080p's would be pushing it a bit. Also don't get the 3gb. It's a hella neutered card, in ways unrelated to the ram capacity. Either get a 6gb or something from amd.

My mom just lost her left hand in a car accident, anyone know of any decent right hand only keyboards? I was thinking I could set her up with a right handed Dvorak layout for now.

Can anyone tell me why I don't have a Protocol option for ssh?
I'm using Parrot and I can change it in my ssh_config but not in my sshd_config...
It generally seems to have some major differences to the normal config file.. Anyone know whats going on here?

Any good AMD to upgrade to? I am tempted for the 1060 6gb

580 is the closest match. Everything's overpriced on both sides though.

Standalone smartwatch that wouldn't be just accessory to a mobile phone, but rather a viable alternative to having one.
Is it just a pipe dream or might we actually see some in nearby future?

What settings are the most consuming in terms of performance when trying to play games at 60fps or higher?

so i've had this wireless chink shit controller that i used on both my smartphone and my laptop. it stopped working with my laptop lately even though it works just fine with my laptop. does anyone know how i can find the reason for this in order to fix it?

from kernel 4.11 onward I get screen flickering that is frequently followed by crashing. The flickering and crashing increases if I were to play something in mpv. Anybody have experience with this?

What the AMD equivalent to Nvidia Control Panel?

Depends on the game, but anti aliasing and ambient oclusion (like SSAO and HBAO) are probably putting the most strain on your GPU. Realtime reflections and shadows also tend to be ressource intensive. This is a matter of taste but I hate Bloom, shitty RGB offset filters and the like. I guess you will get a few more fps if you disable them as well.

on the phone she could use an alphanumeric keyboard like pic related
on the computer i have to good answer... im working on making a mech alphanumeric keyboard (15 keys) to have on the go but its going super slow, dont have anything working yet

VSync doesnt exactly affect performance, but if you have stable 60Hz itll feel real bad to play
from experience, particles are what fuck FPS count the most

Trying to convert a lot of mp4 files to .webm
If I have them all in a folder called "Sorting", what would the command to do ffmpeg on each file automatically?

I tried
ffmpeg -i *.mp4 *.webm

But all this does is create a "*.webm" file instead of doing what I want

> wd hdd color is the most reliable
Probably the Helium filled WD Gold.

Note that this is a pointless approach overall, you don't buy "one", you buy multiple for redundancy if you want "reliability".

And at that point, you probably are just going to get cheaper drives that aren't designed to be quite as fancy or long-lived as 24/7 data center drives.

> where is the cheapest I can buy one
You don't live here, so no clue.

mp4 and webm are containers, it's actually doing what you asked.

I guess you also want to convert whatever is INSIDE to something this site can display?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/WebM

That's a good idea for the phone. She was always one of those people that held the phone in one hand and used her other index finger to type so going back to a layout she's familiar with should work well.

No, but did you check GPU / CPU temperatures?

Don't forget that if your PC can't handle 60 fps, it'll lower the frame cap to 30 fps.

Can someone install some monitoring shit on my computer just by plugging in his USB drive ?

bump for this

Yes

maybe just a meme idk

disable auto run

After upgrading to android 6.1 from 5.4, in BlackPlayer EX, some songs has a super extra bass or whatever and sounds like that Shreck loud noise thing, but on PowerAMP, they will sound fine, but some will be fucked and mixed (you listen three seconds from 0:40 to 0:43 on 0:20 to 0:23, for example). I installed another player just to test, and it sound fine there. I think I should not just reinstall, but delete all info from BlackPlayer from my phone .

How do I fix it?

for F in *.mp4; do ffmpeg -i "$F" -o $(basename $F).webm; done or something like that

Chaos Control

My iPhone USB connector is fucked up. I can connect enough to get a charge, but I can't connect to my computer to transfer data.

How can I move music from iTunes to my phone? I can't do the wifi thing without authenticating by USB. "Genius" told me to "just use iCloud", but it looks like that was bullshit advice, because apparently only purchased music can be transferred or streamed on the cloud?!

Any advice, anons?

I'll check after I finish biking. I don't think that's the issue though

Linux noob here. I've been messing with Mint and I really like it. I have some questions though.

1. How come the Grub resolution also impacts the tty resolution? It seems like I can only set 1024x760 as max grub resolution (checked with grub videoinfo) but why the fuck are my tty resolution also 1024x768? And why can't it support full resolution?

2. Is there any way in Mint to get filesystem search results in the menu just like Windows does in Start?

3. How in the holy mother of fuck can you check the hard drive i/o usage in Linux? I can't seem to find any way. I'd like to keep that shit under control.

4. Can you recommend me a default font that isn't an absolute eyesore? This default font is god awful and every other font is even worse. I don't really want to resort to having Calibri on Linux as well.

I'm considering buying this TV:
amazon.it/gp/product/B071RCW1KY/
The problem is, I don't have anything to connect to it through HDMI, and only have a coaxial cable that attaches to the wall (and goes to the antenna on the roof), which I currently use with my decoder that's connected to my old TV through SCART.
Since this new TV has no SCART, but has an integrated decoder, can I take the cable from the wall an put it directly in the back of the TV (pic related)?
Or can I only connect it through HDMI or the Internet?

Also keep in mind that I don't want to use my current decoder because it's fucking up a lot, which is the reason why I'm gettin the new TV with an integrated decoder in the first place (also because I'll be paying it 300€).

Thanks in advance.

I've got a weird audio setup which I've loving documented with mspaint. I use this to allow myself to use my headset with both my computer and my switch, but suddenly it's started having audio problems, but only when using the switch. audio still plays, but it sounds like someone is constantly rotating a volume knob back and forth from from zero to max. I've tried putting my brother's switch to make sure it wasn't my console, tried his dock, tried a different hdmi cable from the dock to the hdmi switch, tried swapping the hdmi port with the one the pc is plugged into, tried different headphones, tried the speakers, tried plugging it directly into the audio splittter without the y-cable, all nothing. I can't think of anything else short of the audio splitter itself being busted, but it would be weird for it to be broken if the pc audio still comes through just fine. am I missing anything?

Okay. Decided to do it in python and it seems to be working alright.

I do have one question though, each converesion is taking a while... Is there a way to speed it up, or do I just leave this in the background running?

import os
first_webm_command = "ffmpeg -i "
mid_webm_command = "-c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 1M "
dest_directory = "Sorting/"

for file_ in os.listdir("./Sorting/"):
if file_.endswith(".mp4"):
name = dest_directory + file_
print(name)
command = first_webm_command + name + " " + mid_webm_command + name[:-4] + ".webm"
os.system(command)

>3. How in the holy mother of fuck can you check the hard drive i/o usage in Linux? I can't seem to find any way. I'd like to keep that shit under control.
iotop as root

> 4. Can you recommend me a default font that isn't an absolute eyesore? This default font is god awful and every other font is even worse. I don't really want to resort to having Calibri on Linux as well.
DejaVu? Noto or Droid? Really no clue what you regard as nice, though.

I'm afraid it was on, but as far as I remember, nothing popped out when i plugged in like a cmd window or some shit

Isn't vp9 a mistake?

But yea, it takes a while to convert unless you happen to have a very fast machine or can offload to GPU - just let it run.

How can someone manage to do that ?

Tried iotop, is there a graphical one with graphz n shieet? Why is it not in the system monitor anyway?

Also I have an additional question, is there any way to open folders directly by typing the equivalent of winkey+r -> directory in Windows?

halp pls ;_;

Is there a way to have Linux query multiple dns servers at once and just use the first response that returns?

variable = returnOfMethod();
>error: variable might not have been initialized

I LOVE Java :)

Sup Forums, help an user our really quickly
Whats the difference between a high end pc and a workstation?

Topic - openGL.

Should i create a new vertex array object and vertex buffer object for each new object i create, or should i create only 1 or a few of them and just alter the vertex data inside of the vertex buffer object - adding and deleting and altering stuff? Obviously creating a new VBO would be easier, but i don't know how much overhead that is creating for openGL. If i've got thousands of VBOs is that going to slow the thing to a crawl, or at least, would it slow it to a crawl and 1 VBO where i alter the insides would slow it less?

Workstation to me implies features designed for enterprise use - vPro for example - and engineer use, like Quadro GPUs vs GeForce GPUs on a high end PC.

There used to be more of a difference, but workstations are just specialized PCs now.

low power/thinclient pcs can also be considered workstation can't they?

I wouldn't use the term that way myself

>Fell for the RAM meme

Is their any way of making windows force more stuff into RAM so I can access them quicker?

I think what you want is a ramdisk

Only in the sense that any computer used for work is a workstation. Workstation really implies the use of professional-grade hardware, such as Xeon or Opteron for the CPU, probably ECC memory and if there's a graphics card, it's probably a quadro or firepro, not geforce or radeon.

I've never purchased a microsd card before but I want to expand my phone's storage just to have my music on it. Do I need to a high end sd with high read and write speeds just to hold and playback music?

Sure. It's just not worth the trouble. On the bright side, you can run like 3 VMs at the same time.

Sup Forumsuys, I remember I read here that there is a way to activate windows with open-source tool, But I forgot the name. (Not KMSpico or DAZ)

workstation means it's for work, and as such most likely it is considered to be of a "working utensil" pricepoint

it will be very dedicated to the workload it's intended for. For example, if it's used for monitoring and storing security camera footage, it might be using 10 different hard drives on a motherboard with 10 sata ports
If it's a rendering machine, it'll have high end quadro GPUs
etc.

How to get rid of ads on cytube?
I'm using ublock origin which does block the ads but not the container.
So I get a white square for a few seconds.
This is a recent thing.

that sounds like you should back up ASAP and order a new drive

> ISP > router/modem combo > ethernet cable > secondary router bridge > ethernet cable > laptop
>laptop gets 1/2 the speeds

Is this normal? Skipping the secondary router and plugging the second ethernet cable directly into the laptop nets the same results, but local file transfers are at full speed with both setups, so I don't know what's the culprit.

you should be able to read at the bitrate of your music, because that is the speed it will read it at
mp3 bitrates are 80-320 kb/s, as such if you have 0.5mb read speeds you should be ok.
aka that was a stupid question

you should only worry about the read and write speeds if you do a lot of photography because then you're most likely constantly moving files off the card

can I run pirated games in VMs without too much performance loss or is it just a headache?

Good thing I asked this in the stupid question thread. Do you have a recommendation for a microsdxc card thats cheap, high storage, and whatever read write speeds?