Windows software that keeps you from installing Linux because that software is not on Linux or has no comparable...

>Windows software that keeps you from installing Linux because that software is not on Linux or has no comparable alternative on Linux

I'd also mention MPC-HC but it doesn't count anymore because MPC-HC is dead.

Go!

Other urls found in this thread:

nightly.mpc-hc.org/
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1822260#post1822260
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

muh games

fb2k, onenote and gaymz

for me it was winamp till i found out about ncmpcpp
every other audio player for linux sucks ass except ncmpcpp

Adobe Suite, 3ds Max, AIMP, games.

90% of my games
Microsoft Office

>90% of my game
grow up
>Microsoft Office
OnlyOffice

Gee, I wonder why no one wants to switch to Linux

Have you tried Wine?

This, works perfectly. You can even use the terminal commands

deadbeef replaced foobar2000 for me on Linux, KDE with global hotkeys to pause/play/seek/change volume

foobar does so many things, what part of it are you missing from the linux alternatives?
Or is it just that "everything in one" you miss?

office have worked for me using playonlinux.
Some games work that way too.

I use foobar through wine. Works great.
Still have a Win7 vm for Adobe software

Total commander, I need to sync an ftp server with a local directory in a way that deletes the files that are not present in both.
But I am using a virtual windows for that

Not OP, but for me the good parts of foobar are
>very complete file format compatibility even without plugins
I'm pretty sure I can achieve that on Linux just as well
>integrated tag editor, file converter, etc (or are these plugins which I think are integrated because I've used them for so long)
Not sure how well I can do that on Linux, but I'd imagine there are ways
For batch conversion/tagging I have separate programs on windows anyway
>extremely modifyable interface (and it's simple to do as well)
This is probably the most important part for me. Displaying specific tags in a specific way, grouping and sorting based on tags, a media library that can sort/group by various tags as well; and everything organized as I want to, with tabs, split windows, etc.
Also, colors/fonts and themes though that's not that important.

Unironically MS Paint, I have tried dozens of picture editors in linux but every single one is shit

Foobar, MPC, Adobe softare (fuck off Krita and GIMP ain't got shit on Adobe software), Autodesk software, mah gaymz, Office suite (i use it for work, given by my employer so no "hurr just use this alternative" available).

A better question would be, what does Linux offer me that Windows does not? Security and Privacy?

Pic related.
I've the G600 and configuring the mouse in Linux is awful and limited.

Windows itself, it's just better

Linux is a kernel. You may already use it in your Android OS.

1 year ago my answer would be foobar2k but i found cmus and its really good
also for MPC you have MPV (V > C)

those chink shit mouse programs arent even worth it! you can rebind keys on your games, so who cares if your mouse sends 'R' or w.e. instead of M5?

Space Engine

>i've never used a mouse with more than 5 buttons
fuck off dipshit

Those programs let you set the different dpi's bindings which are actually useful when switching resolutions or for the casual games I play. Or turn off the ugly leds. Or have a comfy shortcut to open, for example the terminal or have it binded to something in a game.
That being said, the configuration gets stored in the mouse on logitech mice, so once set, you are good to go.

Adobe Suite, 3ds Max, Ableton Live, Reason 5, a bunch of VSTs, ToonBoom Harmony, Clip Studio Paint (KRITA is at least close to it), a select few gaymes.

And WINE really likes to fuckify latencies and functionality in them.

I use several tools personally but I am aware that my setup is far from the perfect setup for other people.
>formats
For file formats, I just convert everything to the format I want, this is not a problem.
When I need to convert between formats, I usually need to do it for more than one file and ffmpeg is good enough for me to convert a dir full of files.
>tags
For tags, I use kid3, it works really well, some things are still needed to do manually but it is a good tool.
>modifiable interface
I personally don't really care how stuff looks.
My music setup is cmus in a drop down terminal.
I just search for the song / tag / artist and queue the song, it works as a music player should.

I used to use foobar in windows too user. Then I switched to linux and what do you know, it's got like 5 or 6 major audio players doing what foobar does. I went with cmus because it runs in the terminal. You can't get much more lightweight and dead simple to use than that.

The only things I actually miss from windows:
mspaint
uhhhh

Actually that's it. Just mspaint.

Kolorpaint is better than ms paint in every way.
It has transparency and supports more formats.

You can use any windows computer to set it up - it all gets stored on the mouse, and then anything you plug it into afterwards just werks.

This is really just a problem with hardware manufacturers refusing to make their drivers and software compatible with linux.

-microsoft office
-visual studio
-freemake video converter
-freemake audio converter
-gaymes

-normal installers instead of fucking package managers.

rsync

well if you have ssh access that is

>Windows itself, it's just better
Can confirm. Installed Apple's Logic Pro 9 from 2012 on High Sierra, didn't work on Windows there's backward compatability, not so on Mac. Things break for every new animal or landscape that they release.

I can live with OneNote on browser and on Android.

>A better question would be, what does Linux offer me that Windows does not? Security and Privacy?
Yeah, but you'd have to invest your time into it.

cmus is better than ncmpcpp you hermaphrodite

it objectively isn't

>I personally don't really care how stuff looks.
Neither do I, I care how it works. That includes the layout of the interface and efficiency of search/select/sort operations.

>try to get nincompoop working
>editing config files
>googling to figure out why this doesn't work or that doesn't work
>reading through the arch wiki, trying out solutions that never work
>waste easily 16+ hours researching and trying to solve problems for a simple fucking terminal audio player
>finally give up
>sudo apt-get install cmus
>works immediately

Fuck ncmpcpcp; piece of shit program
And fuck every idiot who recommends it

fb2k is shit compared to Guayadeque (pic related)
MPC-HC can be easily replaced by Bomi or MPC-QT

Audacious is almost identical to foobar2000 and not part of the russian botnet.

You have evidence of foobar2k accessing network resources outside of "Check for new foobar2k versions" and "Check for updated components" both of which are manually activated by user?

Meh not like it matters, foobar2k uses like 4MiB of ram, unacceptable for something as simple as a music player.

Foobar2000k
Discord
Google Chrome
YouTube
Microsof Office
Microsoft Power Point 2007
Windows Antivirus Deffender
VLC mediaplayer
SoulSeek
Qbitorrent

>grow up
>uses manchildren OS

What cartoon is this from?

Foobar2000 works with wine

really though foobar is not that great

chrome and discord are available on Linux numbnnuts

Windows. Linux just can't compete with the base OS.
There's also MeGUI (which is an entire suite that doesn't work on Linux), uTorrent 2.2.1, MPC-HC, and Photoshop, as well as dozens and dozens of games, and the comfort knowing that Windows has the best software for anything I decide to take up in the future, but the simple fact is that even if Linux had every piece of software Windows had I'd still use Windows since Linux is an absolute turd.

>MPC-HC is dead.

Works on my machine. :^)

>gui video converter
Nigga just use ffmpeg
>utorrent
Nigga just use transmission
>mpc-hc
Nigga just use VLC
>photoshop

..well ya got me there. Linux sucks for pro workstation stuff.

>just use shitty tools so you can use a shitty OS!
Exactly why are you looking for an excuse for your OS instead of picking the best one?

Video games.
Whats the poing of having a PC and can't even run free games

Starcraft2

but im on linux and mby 1 day in 3 months i dd my windows partition on ssd so i can play it for a day and than dd linux back :D

That cavepainting is Overlord

I find ffmpeg, transmission and MPV to be far better than the Windows equivalents (I even use transmission and MPV on Windows now) but he's right when he said Linux sucks for any workstation software. Photoshop alone is enough of a reason to not switch.

You obviously don't do anything serious with your computer.

>Reason 5
Dude wtf? How about you buy a license for once and use all the new bling bling.

Also Reason is the reason I can't use Linux on my main machine. This and some games I guess.

Linux seems to be still pretty bad at professional audio. No drivers, no DAWs nothing. You can still make music if you are really really want to, but I wouldn't recommend it. I guess Video, Foto and 3d has become much better already.

The Linux audio stack is still abysmal when compared to Mac OS X, and even Windows sadly.

In terms out of recommendation for audio:
Mac OS X>>>>>Windows>Linux

I know that Mac is the hipsters choice when it comes to music, but I'm really not sure if there is any measurable difference in performance. At least I never heard anything about it. I guess some people prefer Mac for Logic alone, but since I'm a Reason only faggot I don't really care and I think OS X is pretty horrible except for the terminal.

Fun fact: Android is still so bad in audio, that almost no company makes any serious music productions software for it. The latency is horrendous even with the "good" devices.

is there some mac equivalent of foobar? i love it so much

>Grow up
>Gamers are majorly in their 30s

Was the age at which people are considered children been moved?

>MPC-HC can be easily replaced by Bomi or MPC-QT

lol no

>y-y-you don't need that!
fuck off shill

>needing to shift your mouse DPI up and down on the fly...

This is what actual, true autism looks like folks..

I use a cheap 13 dollar chinkmouse for the last 5 years, it's got 3 dpi settings, controlled with a button below the click wheel. Clicking that button turns it up till max then down to min then up to max then down till min...

If you unironically need more than that, you need to stop LARPING as a progamer. Even they don't do that shit.

>and what do you know, it's got like 5 or 6 major audio players doing what foobar does

Does it, though?

Foobar's DSPs are phenomenal: support for Dolby virtual surround, SACD, vgm file formats, VSTs, etc. etc. etc. Even more, it's got years of development on most alternatives.

Linux is the reason I don't switch the software and the community

JUST USE WINE

Chrome, Discord, VLC, qBittorrent, and the new version of Soulseek are all supported on GNU/Linux natively and YouTube is a fucking website bro

>youtube
what

vimpc is a much better client for mpd
ncmpcpp is trash

Not necessarily preventing me from going with linux, but preventing me from ditching Winblows completely:

fb2k, FLStudios, Ableton, NI Komplete, other audio software, audio hardware compatibility

I'd have to agree with and After doing my research, Linux for audiophiles and producers just sucks. Hopefully once Vulkan gets off, most of the Linux pros will switch focus to a really good replacement of JACK and ALSA.

>90% of my games
Stop playing modern triple-AAA trash. Use WINE. Use emulators.
>Microsoft Office
Libre

>Visual Studio
I thought M$ made a linux version because all the cool programmers and devs who care about that use Linux.

>Kys

If you can have the same programs why just dont stick in Windows 10, retards?
lmao

Use wine you fucking baby

/thread

Foobar2000
Total Commander
Total Commander
Total Commander

You're retarded, the install is stupid easy. Most issues have to do with user permissions, easily solvable by running mpd as a user and placing the configuration files in the .config folder in your home directory.

>just settle for complication and inferior performance!
Why do freetards think that Linux wins by default and that any issues are the user's burden to overcome, rather than the winner being determined by what simply does the best job?

>MPC-HC
mpv
>foobar
deadbeef

>Microsoft Office
tihs is the only valid answer to this thread

>Grow up
Said the man wh o feels some sort of elitism from a fucking os

total commander
everything
notepad++
A4tech mouse macro manager

What games would you even want to play that don't run on linux?

None.
To be fair I work with Unix based OSes so Windows isn't something I need to use. Also, it's a bit creepy even with LTSB versions.

I never got why people stay on windows for fb2k. There are a whole bunch of music players on GNU/Linux including a foobar clone called deadbeef.

DirectX games.
Microsoft Office.

legit only reason I keep a win10vm on my laptop is for fucking Office, clients want them reports in .docx format for some reason, cuz .pdf is too hard for them

and d3d, well, I bought a 1080 for a reason

Mpd isn't that good. It can't handle big libraries with lots of .xm files. It just crashes when I try to scan in my library. Audacious works great though.

3ds maya has a Linux version. There are alternatives to the adobe suit. AIMP can be replaced with audacious. There are actually games on Linux.

>can't into dual boot from another partition or drive
>has virtual waifu but no virtual machine

Libreoffice works fine like 90% of the time and ms office has an online version now. Visual studio is a bloated mess, emacs is great. Ffmpeg can replace both of those converters. There are actually games on Linux nowadays. Package managers are far better than the shitty installers on windows.

>ms office
troff latex
>games
roguelikes
>foobloatnet 2000
acme+*play
>visual studio
acme/sam/ed
>discord
irc
>powerpoint
suckless sent

Deadbeef
Discord has a linux client
chrome is on linux
youtube is a website you dumbass
libreoffice
libreoffice impress
no need for antivirus on linux
vlc is on linux
soulseek is on linux
qbitorrent is on linux
It's almost like you didn't bother checking if the programs you use are available.

Linux has plenty of free games like tux kart.

> I'd also mention MPC-HC but it doesn't count anymore because MPC-HC is dead.
FUD
No, it's not dead:
nightly.mpc-hc.org/
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1822260#post1822260

Deadbeef
midnight commander
double commander
a million others