Implying that people aren't just fighting about desktop environments when they compare distros

>implying that people aren't just fighting about desktop environments when they compare distros

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057840.html
infoworld.com/article/3109830/linux/why-did-gentoo-linux-fade-into-obscurity.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes, but it's also a matter of the package manager and what packages are available

Not really, no.

kubuntu/xubuntu/ubuntu: You wanted a different desktop and don't know how to install packages.
slackware: No, we're not going to make things easier, do it yourself!
sabayon: You were unable to install Gentoo despite the wiki giving you precise instructions
mepis: You forgot what decade it was
mint: You can't be bothered configuring shit and want something that has it done already
mandriva: You're french
arch: You have a lot of time to spare
gentoo: You have too much time to spare
red hat: You had no choice, your boss forced you to install it because one of his "tech consultants" told him he should use it.
fedora: You're a "tech consultant"

They are, because most of the people here are underage idiots fucking up their parents' work computers. Back when all the different flavors of UBANTO were a thing, they would unironically recommend their shit for brains KDE/Fluxbox/whatever flavor of OBONGO to other people as the be all, end all of GNU plus Linux distributions. Then they'd use it for an hour and reinstall windows.

accurate

This
but also this

They're all basically the same though. The only one that's actually kinda different that I've used is Gentoo. I like it.

Not anymore now that everything uses GNOME.

Stop trying to be fucking snowflakes and just use Windows or OSX.

You want the latest version of something? You can just double click and install it. You can find any application anywhere rather than having to rely on repos and shit, which even in their UNSTABLE form can have “outdated” packages.

Besides, what’s with UNSTABLE shit? If it’s not ready for release, DONT LET PEOPLE FUCKING USE IT OR HAVE IT SET AS DEFAULT ALA ARCH BULLSHIT.

Gone are the days where we need to compile and nitpick everything for performance and shit. Windows and OSX are fast enough for modern hardware, run all the latest software and have massive support from online communities and the companies that make them because people ARE BEING PAID TO.

Yes there are people that are paid in the open sores/lincuck community, but they are a minority compared to the “does it for free” types.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
Pay nothing, get freetards.

Stop trying to be fucking snowflakes and just use Gentoo.

You want the latest version of something? You can just compile it. You can find any application anywhere rather than having to rely on repos and shit, which even in their UNSTABLE form can have “outdated” packages.

Besides, what’s with UNSTABLE shit? If it’s not ready for release, LET PEOPLE FUCKING USE IT OR HAVE IT SET AS DEFAULT ALA ARCH BULLSHIT.

Gone are the days where we need to install by double clicking and nitpick botnet installers for performance and shit. Gentoo is fast enough for nearly all hardware hardware, run all the latest software and have massive support from online communities and the companies that make them because people AREN'T BEING PAID TO.

Yes there are people that aren't paid in the cold sores/macfag community, but they are a minority compared to the “does it for money” types.

Pay peanuts, get pajeets.
Pay nothing, get freedom.

>recommending winshit
>ever
kys

>implying I use a Desktop Environment
>Implying I dont care about the package manager way more than the GUI
>Implying I dont care about the repositories way more than the GUI
>Implying I dont care about supported CPU architectures way more than the GUI

seriously OP, youre a massive fucking noob

lol windows sucks
youre a fagot!

If you’re going to modify the post at least make sense.

Also:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1057840.html
infoworld.com/article/3109830/linux/why-did-gentoo-linux-fade-into-obscurity.html

Keep googling for “gentoo is dying” or “gentoo is deprecated”

Because it fucking is.

Deal with it.

>trying to FUD the greatest Linux distribution of all time

>evidence is FUD

Oh dear.
Linux babby has SJW-tier mindset when it comes to his precious software.

>greatest
>hard-compiling everything
>USE autism

yeah okay

this desu senpai
and also this

Pretty accurate. Although as a Gentoo user I prefer to think of myself as a control freak and not just someone with lots of spare time.

The NASDAQ uses Gentoo and Chrome OS is based on Gentoo. Also Gentoo started both the eudev and elogind projects both of witch are used on almost every systemd free distro. Gentoo is hardly dieing.

well wtf about debian

Just install gentoo.

debian: You know what you're doing and don't need me to tell you.
opensuse: You know what you're doing but can't be arsed looking up man pages for every little thing when you can click a few buttons in a GUI instead.

>hard-compiling everything
As supposed to soft-compiling? But really you just can't get the customization of USE flags without compiling. Also bigger packages like libreoffice and firefox have binary versions.
>USE autism
Obviously the customizability of USE flags isn't for everyone but they are really fantastic for quickly customizing every package you install with just a single declaration.

Your description of debian is only accurate before the systemd invasion. Now it's just another poettering os. At least its repos cleanly separate free and non-free software.

>stop using stuff I don't like!
kill yourself, autismo

Funny how people have to modify open source software and introduce proprietary elements to make it usable isn’t it?

RedHat, ChromeOS, Android.

Really quite stunning.

yeah, wow. How funny that they are able to modify their systems to use things. Such humor!

It actually proves that we need proprietary elements where people are paid to make things rather than having freetard bullshit consuming everything.

Linux’s problem is in its community. As long as it continues to push the freedom line and has its special snowflake community, it will remain in the state its in on desktop.

Can you link me the article where the free software community has the rule where it has to work for no pay? I've never been able to find it, but you guys keep bringing it up

There is no rule and I’ve never stated there was a rule.

What I have stated is when people are paid, the quality is much higher. What I have stated, is the quality of proprietary elements is much higher in more cases than the unpaid “free equivalents”.

There is not one single instance where a wholly free unpaid project has made traction or has come into regular use.

You may attempt to twist my words, but I am way ahead of you and don’t fall for your misrepresentation bullshit.

Yup, no open source software has ever made traction, nope!

>what's libressl
>what's openSSH
>what's docker
>what's Ansible
>what's the Linux kernel
>what's bsd

Nope! Definitely not wrong!

wholly free means no intervention from private profit-making entities.

Those projects succeeded because big companies could implement them into their proprietary solutions and make money.

Please discontinue misrepresenting my argument. Thanks.

>...proprietary elements where people are paid to make things rather than freetard bullshit consuming everything.
You can pay for FOSS software. You can take real American money and say 'I would like xx feature to be developed under [open source license]. I will pay you for your time, and support'.
>there is not one instance where a wholly free unpaid project has made traction or has come into regular use
I wonder if that's because when those projects have their potential shown people donate and support it which further causes it to get more use. Frankly, I see no issue with an open source platform using non-open software to get something done. But that doesn't mean open source stuff is a waste of time or effort, especially since it adheres to standards for whatever protocol instead of proprietary stuff constantly trying to push its own shit into the market

Haven’t you noticed the free projects that make money have corporate backing for use in proprietary software? Already covered here:Money drives progress, stop deluding yourself.

>companies implement open source into their proprietary solutions to make money
Funny how people have to modify proprietary software and introduce open source elements to make it usable.
But corporations also have employees who work and develop open source software that is then released back into the community for everyone to use. You're confusing free (gratis) and free(libre) they are not mutually exclusive. I'm not denying that funding makes things happen. I'm saying that being open source does not mean people can't get paid for their work. That's it.

Would you call Devuan the true Debian now?

If you want a wholly free program with no devs being paid by a corporate entity, GIMP is one such program. It's hugely popular. Krita slightly less so, but still relevant.

Firefox is also completely free and open source, but I suppose you would consider Mozilla to be a corporate entity--even though they're non-profit.

I do agree that money makes the world go round, however, but things like donations and Patreon exist. Hell, Krita uses a yearly Kickstarter for their fundraising goals!

yeah because when I talk about shitty package managers and botnet utils on ubuntu and how fucking the repo is on linux mint im talking about the DE

OpenSuse Xfce vs Xubuntu feel different with Xubuntu being a shittier distro.

cringed

Pay monkeys, get Winfags

>opinion piece is evidence

REEEEEEEEEE GIVE MONEY TO YOUR SLAVEMASTER !!!

>Funny how people have to modify open source software and introduce proprietary elements to make it usable isn’t it?

They have to narrow it or else people get lost in the complexity. Just like we teach simple math to simpleton like (You).
But what's the point of adding botnet and ads tho'?

Bait or not, this post is not only so fucking inaccurate, but an attempt of trying to sound "sane" and rational but ends up coming off as the bigger fuckwit. If this isn't bait, then you have legit issues over caring about what some strangers use on their computer.