What's the most consistent desktop UI in existence?

What's the most consistent desktop UI in existence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_currency#Pound_sterling
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Windows 9x/earlier versions of NT.

Although I have a soft spot for the menu bar up there with its sorta pixelated gradient.

You already posted it

macOS

steve jobs worked his ppl really hard to implement his vision

He was too pure for this world

OSX /thread

you can enforce these kinds of standards without yelling at people tho

XFCE

lmao. how come it still looks like utter dogshit?

Yeaaah if you could just do it the right way... that'd be greaaaaat.

There's being a boss, and there's being a little bitch and never getting anything done

i miss xp
i miss windows 2k
i miss 98 even if it was unstable as shit
i want to go back

because you're the kind of autistic contrarian who probably thinks modern shitpads or GNOME 3 are good looking

maybe that's what it takes

I was theorizing in another thread that the awful interfaces we've had since aero/metro/unity are the result of compromises between groups of coders without a leader or vision.

Budgie

You can't go back.

It is absolutely what it takes.

When people call someone an asshole, what they're really saying is, "That guy gets what he wants" and "my ideas are always ignored or shoved aside in favor of his".

Humans demand hierarchical tribalist systems. It doesn't matter that we aren't living in communities of 80 people anymore, the hierarchical human nature remains, and it works. Rather than design by committee that makes bland soulless boring useless shit, a competent leader actually gets his team to make something good.

That's the trouble with way too fucking many development groups these days. They try to design and structure leadership as a democratic system, and we've seen readily enough throughout history that democratic systems are some of the worst forms of governance ever created by humankind, being ruled by subversives and populist appeals rather than by merit.

The only good form of leadership remains the benevolent dictatorship. Steve Jobs was the benevolent dictator. An asshole to his underlings, but also successful, which is altogether what is most important.

Without good leadership, no company succeeds for long.

>democratic systems are some of the worst forms of governance ever created by humankind

That's where I have to disagree with you. You are comparing a company to a government, when these two are entirely different things.

Are you implying that dictators like Hitler, Mussolini or even Qaddafi are examples of good leadership?

inb4 political debate

Ventanas Siete

fucking THIS

The terminal.

Linux terminal is nowhere near as comfy as DOS.

Windows Vista
Unironically

probably pic related

Thank's op.
The replies so far, above this one, have shown me how retarded Sup Forums has become

The "X windows system" as used by many users of linux
has remained consistent since its earliest years

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

far from consistent. except maybe versions 1-3?
can't have inconsistencies when there's only text (and a tiny bit of graphics)

What is this WM?

mpx probably. later turned into mux, which is 8½ which is rio.

I actually don't mind inconsistent (non-system) icons, it blew my mind when I first saw some of the unclicked/clicked icons on Amiga. Ambermoon's really struck a chord with me for some reason.

That's because it's an early version of whistler. Build 2419 was the last version before Luna and the theme is a lot more polished.

Plan 9 and Rio.

Also, shoutout to Chicago build 73g. Last version to have a three-button start menu and windows 3-esque titlebars. The diamond radio buttons are pretty neat too.

>or even Qaddafi
How come Libya with EBIL DICKDADOR lived better than without him now?

All three were extremely effective until being militarily deposed by other people with similar or greater amounts of political power.

Whereas democratic countries are literally committing economic, demographic, suicide right now.

this. It's a shame people only remember it through shit-colored glasses because it broke their drivers and hurr durr games.

It was by far the best looking windows.

Well, they're effective leadership. No idea what you'd define as "good". I wouldn't say that they did much for humanity's progress though, or compare Jobs to any of them.

>It was by far the best looking windows.
Remember that green line on the side of every window?

>Remember that green line on the side of every window?
what green line

For Linux I think it's Xfce4.

If you're autistic then it's i3wm.

For windows I daresay I like the win10 look and feel

>I like the win10 look and feel
>666

Mac OSX Leopard

>Are you implying that dictators like Hitler, Mussolini or even Qaddafi are examples of good leadership?

Don't forget where you are on this board and what kind of retards are attrected by chans in general.

>consistent

Speaking about consistence, Gnome3.

Speaking about everything else except consistence. Gnome3 is an unusable piece of shit for people with low IQ.

You can be a good boss that gets his people to stick to deadlines and motivate them without being a soulless asshole that has to swear and belittle people. Everybody will remember that boss because he might have been firm and stuck in his ways but he got shit done and wasn't an asshole at heart.

Probably something from Apple.

>XFCE
Isn't the whole desktop UI, but only the WM.
You'd usually use it together with gnome or qt apps, which make it horribly inconsistent.
Also xfce doesn't actually look good, and this is something I say as a xfce user since many years.

and now everything has turned into crap

the idea of a benevolent dictator goes back to ancient greece. hitler was clearly not, he ended up plunging his country in debt and then started a terrible war to try to get rid of it.
what that other user is saying is completely right, if you had a really benevolent dicatator that was a superb strategist and only had the best in mind for his people, more things would get done than in a democracy; system which is terrible inneffective because of useless politics, power grabs and bureaucracy.
that concept can be applied when it comes to software development. people like jobs that had a spine and actually gave a shit imposed their will instead o dicking around in identity politics and hiring women and non-whites to fill diversity quotas like poo-gle or mozilla. i've use both android and ios for example and it's not even funny how consistent ios is compared to pajeet droid, even amongs the g-apps. some have the hamburger menu, some do not, and there are other inconsistencies, it's confusing and frustrating.

>he ended up plunging his country in debt and then started a terrible war to try to get rid of it.

Actually, he was praised by the West for pulling his country out of post-war debt. WW2 was simply because of Nationalist ego, megalomania and a hatred for Jews who he blamed for WW1 and Germany's downfall after it and his hatred for those he felt didn't provide any benefit to the new Germany, such as the disabled et al.

Because he stopped paying repatriations from WW1.

The Brits only managed to pay off their WW2 debts to the US in 2006. The US only agreed to the loans if the dollar became the global currency, which is how we ended up with the USA becoming the current world super power, while the British empire faded after two very expensive wars (in terms of both money and life).

Forgot link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_currency#Pound_sterling

Carrot and stick. People get shit done if they think you are nuts, but at the same time you don't want piss in your coffee

>DOS > Linux
kek

It is for comfiness.

Colonisation made Britain rich and powerful.
Once the colonies went, Britain became a regular country like France or Germany.

Now it's China's turn.

Aww. The fashion dictator At least he was the same with medical treatment too.

>When people call someone an asshole, what they're really saying is, "That guy gets what he wants"
Don't make sense, but whatever.

DOS is a shit.

It's consistently black with the same colors over and over

It's consistently shit

Plan 9 with Rio is god tier.

Hurts my eyes though.

>democratic countries are literally committing economic, demographic, suicide right now.

I live in the Netherlands, going really great here now. Crime is an all time low, we're out of the crisis, unemployment is an all time low.

So fuck off shill. You're just lying and try to get Europe unstable and promote Russia

autismus maximus

This.
>Actually I'm using a Vista vs on muh Windows 7 because nostalgia

Yeah, despite Russian inspired propaganda Europe is actually welthy and safe

did active desktop really support animated gif wallpapers, or is op's pic made up?

I think that it's made up, but it looks really cool.

Bionix wallpaper can do it apparently