Best distro

Received an iMac G3 as payment for a job, those fucking old spherical ones. MacOS 9 is useless on it (Internet Explorer as default browser?), OSX is out of the question because the orange translucent plastic blob only has 96MB of RAM, and it's impossible to get PC100 SO-DIMM sticks this south of the planet.

Tried Debian on it, was excellent, until they decided to kill support for 32bit powerpc, leaving me with nothing again.

What distro supports all architectures, regardless of their age? What distro can be configured for low RAM usage? What distro can be optimized for a guck-mothering Motorola 740 233MHz processor?

Gentoo.

We put Gentoo on a freaking 233MHz, 96MB iMac G3, optimized for small size binaries (-Os), and it works like a charm. 20 years are nothing on good hardware, you only need good software.

Other urls found in this thread:

morphos.de/
download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/powerpc/powerpc/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/
eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/100SO512328L/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhra434GM1wIVClqGCh1DNQmkEAQYASABEgLvZ_D_BwE
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

did you take it in the ass perchance?

You can use PC133 memory which is a lot more common.
I have the very first model(rev. A). Don't expect any kind of decent performance out of it, even if you change the OS.
Browsing the internet is nearly impossible on most websites.
Just keep OS9 on it and play with old programs.

The ideal OS would be one of the early versions of OSX. They look much nicer too. I wouldn't use it on the internet though.

pic with timestamp

>getting a 18 year old computer for a job payment

holy shit user? how dumb are you?? did your boss tell you that its worth 1 grand because its apple???

ok. serious answer, mac os9 can browse, with classila but it will be slow and you should allocate a lot for virtual memory, otherwise 96mb wont run classila, what you cannot do is watch youtube on that shit, and expect many website to not load properly

he installed gentoo tho.
old hardware is fun and it might be a good idea to get children to learn on these machines rather than give them access to android or apple phones or tablets.

Amiga clones still support powerpc. Try those operating systems op.
I haven't tried any, but morphOS looks neat.
morphos.de/

Gentoo is actually a good option for strange or old hardware - provided you have the patience to properly install it, let alone wait the compilation times, but once you have it working, it will not be all that much upkeep.

Source: I used to run gentoo on an imac g3.

I recently installed mac os 9 in qemu and loaded up classilla. Holyshit it's basically trash - has a lot of UI bugs and strange behaviors. I strongly recommend against running OS 9 unless you need to run specific software on it.

>accepted garbage as payment for a job
So you did it for free?

How did you manage to put Gentoo on it? I bet the compile times were terrible. Did it take you a year to install? Screenfetch please

bump

With qemu compiling the packages in a modern computer.

This might work.

download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/powerpc/powerpc/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/

We still have to get the ATI Rage working on x.org, so screenfetch plus timestamp will be a photo.
The job was doing a backup of 30GB of data, so the job was nothing.

Looks interesting. I'm kind of new to Gentoo and want to put it on an old Powermac G4, is there a guide for beginners that isn't as confusing as the wiki or is that what you used?

eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/100SO512328L/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhra434GM1wIVClqGCh1DNQmkEAQYASABEgLvZ_D_BwE

>job payment
the job might have very well been mowing the lawn or something

Use distcc

The CD drive got busted after installing Debian, so I can't try other OSs.

Use Netatalk on another machine to host a NetBoot volume, which you can boot to provided you have the newest Mach ROM and firmware.

>tfw Mac OS 9 on a Power Mac G4

Computing will never be this comfy again

Does it have to be Linux? I'd try OpenBSD then NetBSD on that hardware (in this order, because OpenBSD is easier to work with and more software is ported/developed with OpenBSD in mind).

There is a "modern" web browser for OS9 named classilla or some shit like that.

unless they actually paid you to take it, it's a waste of time

distcc

Nice glasses.

>"John, throw that old thing away. All it does is collect dust and we need the space."
>"Throw it away? I have the autistic kid from down the street coming to paint our whole house for it."

THIS

fuck off see

>mfw a dual 450 with a crt studio display was my only computer up until 2012
I need to get quieter fans and repaste her but it is nice. Currently using a titanium PowerBook g4 for stuff.

>comfy
>fagos classic

I use Ubuntu Mate on my G5 iMac.