Hardware fuckups?

> have dad who always works with German precision
> somehow I lack those genes
> have to repaste laptop
> take it apart
> be lazy and just throw all screws into piles and stick them together with a magnet
> do repaste
> gotta put it back together
> all goes well - except for one place
> put normal screw into socket, do a few turns with the screwdriver
> see metal at the end of the screwdriver
> ruh-roh
> see that the screw broke off the cap of pic related
> panic.png
> luckily it still works

But yeah, fuck laziness. I have like 10 screws left out of my machine.
Protip:
- Use plastic pry tools. Look for "plastic phone repair kit" on eBay. They are magic.
- Seriously label all screw locations and whatnot. Learn from my stupidity.
- If you repaste a laptop, use paste like toothpaste. Fuck X method, fuck pea method. Give it hell. Seriously, the gaps are so huge, you have to use more paste than on a normal CPU.
- Buy an "Arctic Thermal Pad" if you have a discrete GPU on your laptop, because you should replace those as well (blue gunk on my pic.) There are other brands out there but Arctic is most affordable.
- Cables CAN and WILL fucking break. I will post a pic which and how. My SATA cable is essentially broken already (only disassembled lappy 3 times) because it has such a shitty design. I asked ASUS to give me a quote but they would not understand what I want. I even circled the picture in paint "I NEED THIS" but they still cannot understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7glBCZr8ntI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> inb4 I am barbaric
I took apart my T500 around a 100 times. And yeah I was gentle and very careful taking it apart. Yet after the second disassembly I just saw the pins looking real fucked up. Back then with a magnifier and lot of time I managed to straighten them and whatnot, but this time one small part even fell off.

And yeah, you have to remove ALL screws, ALL cables, EVERYTHING, because the parts are on the other side of the motherboard - which you cannot access any other way.

I don't know about the fat G752 laptops, but the G752 STRIX is easy to take apart.
youtu.be/7glBCZr8ntI

Once I also forgot to put in the motherboard standoffs but nothing happened to the mobo.

this is how it looked after the second disassembly and before 'fixing it'.

Did you really just make a thread saying "I'm an idiot"?

nah, I was hoping others would also post fuckups?
> inb4 no one ever messed up

Also I was just simply lazy with the screws, the cable is just simply shit.

Back when i built my first PC by myself without supervision, an old AMD Duron something or other i fucked up preeeety badly.

I forgot thermal paste. I mean, it lasted pretty well considering. It just ran a little hot, i think it got to 102c when gaming a few times. And when i finally opened it up, i there were bubbles on the surface of the chip.

But on the plus side, always learn from your mistakes.

Sounds like you were pretty lucky, as old CPUs just fried themselves if they ran hot. I could have boiled my CPU/GPU like 3 times on this laptop because I always went with the "oh so perfect method" when applying paste. The thing is, the gap is fuck huge on laptops. The contact is also shit. So just fuck shit up with your paste and it will work great. As weird as that sounds.
(But yeah, benchmarks confirm that even if someone goes nuts with paste, it will only mean a few 1-2C difference.)

That is not a cap but a choke.

yeah choke. sorry. English is not my first language. I knew the name of it but forgot. Anyhow the coke's "cap" is broken now. Guess the outer layer is just for protection?

>> inb4 no one ever messed up
Being lazy is not an excuse for being a dumbass.

> labeling around 50+ different screws one by one
yeah, nah, fuck that

The ThinkPad has maybe 2-3 different ones. I tried taking pictures and making drawing with the ASUS but yeah, it never worked.

Protip: If you are stupid enough to do shit like this, your advice is probably bad.

And it is.

Everyone should pretty much do the opposite of everything you say. Even labeling screw positions is dumb, just take pictures of all steps, segregate screws, and reverse order.

> No plastic tools.
So I reckon you use metal tools and bank cards when you take apart electronics. So clever and safe, user! \o/
> You should not organize, label screws
Okay, you have a good memory it seems, kudos.
> Should not use enough paste
Enjoy your tasty 95C GPU!
> No thermal pad
Well, I guess you get to exchange your laptop sooner if the GPU just fries itself, you are right about that.
> fuck cables
Previous point, guess if it breaks sooner for you, mom and dad will just buy a new one faster. Win-win?

how is a t420 to take apart? I only just got an x220 but the plan is to swap it out for a t420 in 3 years once i have my degree and upgrade to the max processor. It's not on the other side of the motherboard is it?

That and also as a ferrite core for the inductor itself as well as heat dissipation.

So far I took apart the X220 and the T500, they had everything on the front face. The SNSV ROG was the first machine where I was met with this evil contraption.

Is it possible to unfuck it? Will it stop working after a while? I mean.. it works now...?

i took apart my acer (i know, but i'm selling it and just bought a thinkpad) after the power jack stopped working. had to tear it down completely and remove the board to replace it (the ground came off the jack, so it was a £4 repair job).

a load of plastic fell out of it when i took it apart, and i regularly tried to pull things off, only to discover a hidden screw holding it on. went back together better than before i took it apart (must have done something stupid in the last 5 times i took it apart)

basically, if its not business grade then that's just how it goes.

my old HP had the cpu and ram on the front (before their business lines turned to shit, consumer HP has always been shit). the thing never broke and still works since i got it in 2006 (did replace the paste, but still) hopefully my x220 is just as solid.

>No plastic tools
I have literally never been in a situation that needed them for anything and I have taken apart plenty of computers and other devices.
>Organize, label
No, you segregate based on size and take pictures of your steps. why the hell would you label a screw?
>Paste
You're using way too much. Paste has diminishing returns you idiot, that's why every website ever says use a pea sized amount.
>No thermal pad
Don't buy shit laptops that have shitty parts that overheat. This isn't /bad/ advice, it's bad market research before buying your laptop.
>Sata cable breaking
I'm going to chalk that up to you being an idiot, given everything else you've said, because I had an absolute garbage laptop with several documented design flaws that required me completely disassembling it bi or tri-monthly to use a heat gun on a part, and I've literally never had a cable break. If you're careful with your tech and don't rip shit out nothing will break.

As for your cheeky mom and dad comment, I actually take care of my shit and break everything I own out of sheer laziness or idiocy because I understand that things cost money and I don't have mommy buying me a new one if I break it.

well my T500 was basically stolen or whatever. the antenna cables were fried (like someone put too much voltage on the cables), the GPU was fried. I paid a normal price for it, so I was scammed kinda. Took it to Lenovo, they replaced everything for free (as it was not reported stolen). only had to pay for the wifi antenna cables.

the motherboard, CPU and all that is the same as I got them and the laptop still works fine. only the GPU (Radeon 3650) is less supported now. but I just use it with Windows 8.1.

> I have literally never been in a situation that needed them
Well, I needed them when I had to disassemble my new Ford (to install dashcam), then to repair my Note 2, to take apart the SNSV, and so on. They are super useful. You can use a 100 bank cards, but these are just so much better. And they cost 1-3$ a bag.
> why the hell would you label a screw?
I meant it that way, of course. And the 50 type is NOT an exaggeration.
> You're using way too much. Paste has diminishing returns you idiot, that's why every website ever says use a pea sized amount.
Fuck if you would pay for a new sata cable, I would take it apart again, record it and prove you dead fucking wrong.
As I said I did the pea method. Nope. Then the X method. Nope. Then the line method. Nope. The contact is just so bad on the ROG you just need more paste. The T500 has good contact though. The guy on the vid with a G702 used liquid metal, so he also had good contact.
> Don't buy shit laptops that have shitty parts that overheat.
Nigga any serious discrete GPU will have thermal pads around the hot parts. Alienware, Sager, HP EliteBook, Dell Precision, they all have these to make contact with cooling. If it does not have a discrete GPU, it does not have pads, that's ok. But you cannot cool dGPU otherwise.
> I'm going to chalk that up to you being an idiot, given everything else you've said
I posted a picture of how it's made. It's basically raw wires on a strip of plastic. With no adhesive, nothing holding the wires in place.
As I said I took apart the T500 a thousand times (and a Latitude too), but the cables never had this. It's just ASUS being a cheap ass company, kinda how Intel is with TIMs.

don't break*

As for my fuckup, one time I repaired said hardware-defect laptop and at the very end of putting it back together I realized I hadn't plugged a ribbon cable in all the way and had to pretty much completely disassemble it to get at it.

it has a removable GPU? interesting. probably a fault in the rails of the power adapter/power surge to cause only specific parts to fry

I think those thing arent rated for more than a few insertions

Lenovo had not much idea how that could have happened and they did not replace anything related to the power supply. The laptop is still in 100% shape. The only issue is that it has the 1280x800 panel. And yeah when this was my main laptop I had no money to swap it to a better panel. The Intel iGPU fried (it was a separate chip in the Core 2 Duo era), but it fried for my friend too, who had a Dell tough book (XT2). You can display 2D/3D, but if you keep using 3D, weird glitches occur. It's just fucked. (That's why I stick to the HD3650 gpu. Thank Lenovo for switchable graphics.)

Well, yeah. There is just that metal "gap" where the cable rests, and that's all.
Guess since ASUS has virtually unlimited supplies of these cables, they don't give a fuck. And it can render all the bottom bay drives useless, so it's a good solution to deter "home repairs". As I wrote I asked ASUS about part prices, and they sent me these:
> HDD Bay
> 70$
> Keyboard
> 130$
> CPU/GPU fan
> 30$ (each)
> CPU/GPU cooling assembly (pipes and all)
> 40$ / 60$

Yes, I asked them for a SATA cable price quote. And they asked me to "show the part I want". And this is the list I received. So good luck if you break any cables. (If you have a business class laptop like a ThinkPad, don't sweat, it has much better and more durable cables.)

It probably will not stop working but you reduced its performance but really it shouldn't matter that much, if you are that bothered about it you can desolder it with hot air station and replace it but considering your skills and the impact that said actions might make on the rest of the PCB I would just not bother.

I doubt anyone would be able to do this repair except maybe for Rossmann. Only a madman would try. So far it worked fine, it scores as high as it did before. Thanks for the info user, much appreciated. And yeah, since all the other screws are placed in "safe places" (i.e.: nothing happens if you put in a longer screw), I did not bother checking so much. But ONE fucking screw is placed in a way so if you mess up the hdd/dvd bay's screw, you are SCREWED (haha, epic pun). But yeah, it's a fucking trap. Also, I won't repaste this laptop like ever again. Going to sell it on a used site probably.

>Protips
>After ending up with 10 left over screws
Even calling these Amtips risks mockery

> first build when I was a kid
> eatin' a yummy muffin
> carefully setting cpu into place
> bit of muffin falls from mouth and sticks to thermal paste
> meh
> lasted ten years

>helping little bro build pc
>he has a windows install disk but no cd drive
>no problem ill just grab mine from my desktop
>get it and install windows
>after its done i want my cd drive back
>open the case while its still running
>figure that i can probably just hot swap it
>unplug it
>massive blue spark jumps across gap in molex pins
>computer goes dark
>ohshit.exe
>press power button
>nothing
>coldsweat.dll
>my lil bro is sitting behind me and somehow didnt see any of this
>put the case panel back on and walk upstairs
>maybe i can just play dumb
>1 hour passes
>nothing happened
>decide to come back down and see whats going on
>its running fine and hes playing games on it
>mfw

Moral of the story is molex connectors are not hotswappable

this post is cancer and you should go back to Sup Forums

>the gap is fuck huge on laptops
paste is a very bad heat conductor, dumbass
you either use copper plates or pads if you can't bother buying plates

the hole usually has the screw type written near it
or use a manual

Is this a troll bait thread? Did u paste a vrm and caps?

>paste has diminishing returns
Yes, which means it's not a bad thing to use too much, really. It's a bad thing to use too little, however, so unless you can specify the exact amount of paste required per unit of separation with modifications for application method and paste type/brand, your point is pretty stupid. It's been shown that there's effectively no danger in using too much paste, as long as it isn't conductive. I have no idea why you chose this as a point of contention. You are right that a copper shim or thermal pad would work better for large gaps, but I'm really not sure the gap is THAT big... And you actually haven't qualified those claims by stating a separation threshold that calls for the use of such items.

just my personal thought

those kinds of projects should only be undertaken if you have a lot of money to burn to buy another unit if you mess up.
poorfags like myself just learn to live with whatever hardware we have and are happy it doesn't break down. aka don't break it anymore than it already is.

>aka don't break it anymore than it already is.
ASUS made a truly awesome GPU cooler by using only copper, thick pipes, and a big ass fan. It breathes lava quietly. Superb. The GPU still hits the thermal limit sometimes (the turbo one) but yeah, it's exceptionally good cooling really. With a custom fan curve ("notebook fan control" can do it), it can do full speed all time.

But the CPU cooling. The motherfucking CPU cooling.
> much smaller fan
> a sound profile that puts your vacuum to shame
> copper AND aluminum cooling (not pure copper, because fuck you, it's only a few thousand $$$ machine)
> gets really loud if you don't repaste "often" (ie.: every 2 years, depending on paste of course)

Had to take apart lappy after a year or so. Replaced stock fan with an eBay one (same branding and all) because the stock CPU fan was louder than my microwave. I am not fucking kidding. My friend was like "yo, what the fuck" when he first heard it. He thought his PC's fan ate a cable or something. The new fan was/is much better. (at least the fans are cheap)

... on a related note, I just checked out eBay for a new cable but can't find anything. If I could find a replacement, I might try the liquid metal a year later or so. But... the CPU and GPU has this plastic cover around them. Which is only good for the thermal paste to get stuck in there. I was hoping they are covered so I don't have to tape everything around if I use liquid metal, but oh boy.

> pic related
(it's not my phone, pls do not bully about the logo on it.)

I mean... what did ASUS want to achieve with that plastic-y thing? It does not cover the chip side, nor the other one, and it's badly aligned as well. Like... what? The CPU has it even worse.

What a shit mentality. Stay poor, nigger.