When will we reach the "final resolution" for displays ie...

When will we reach the "final resolution" for displays ie. the point where no one can notice a difference and going any farther is useless?
Based on 1440p/4k phone tests where essentially no one can see the difference between either I'd say

>phones 1440p
>laptops 4k
>large monitors and huge TVs 8k
>home cinema 16k

The question is what will happen then? I predict that companies will have trouble even getting to that point in the first place, 4k TVs are already having trouble because it's not as amazing as the HD jump, and everyone thinks that 4k pones
are a joke, so what will be the next step then?

The HD jump was really a combination of a multitude of things for example I wouldn't be surprised if the average joe was more impressed with HDMI than what they were with 1920x1080, because most people just plugged their stuff in with shitty composite jacks

I reached this "final resolution" at 720x1280 on my 4.8" phone five years ago.

I'm glad I don't have special sneauxflake eyes.

>putting vertical resolution before horizontal resolution
retard

I didn't

>720x1280
retard

I didn't. My phone's resolution is literally 720(h)x1280(v)

>He forgot how a phone looks like.

It's a phone, user.

Though experiment for you: which way do people typically hold their phones when they aren't watching videos?

1440p is definitely the max for a modern phone. Already can barely tell a difference between 1080p and 1440p on it. 4k is also overkill on a 13" laptop but on a 25" monitor 4k would still be an improvement over 1440p although not enormous.
Giant resolutions are only really needed for giant Tv's. But you're also sitting so far away from them most of the time that it's almost pointless. At this point the color technology is more important than the amount of pixels.

>4k not as amazing as HD jump.

Because no 4k content yet. Heck, most content is not even 1080p yet, so people are generally getting upscaled shite.

Side by side tests are kinda useless. People thought the same about HD when it was being hyped - most people "couldn't see the difference" to begin with. Fast forward and after staring at the box for years like the junkies they are, if you put some SD content in front of them they can surely notice the difference.

The same will happen with 4k. After some years, people will get used to it and regular HD content will stand out like a sore thumb.

The jump to 4k UHD is more about increasing the size of the colorspace than the resolution.

We have 4k resolution screens but we are nowhere near having affordable displays that can display the entirety of rec.2020. Even super expensive displays don't even support it fully.

There is at least one 4k 24" monitor.

I can't tell the difference between 720p and 4k

4k for TVs and 8k for monitors

[missing pictures of user holding his phone with his mouth and his butt, horizontally]

>The question is what will happen then?
It might have already stopped.

>Final Resolution

As long as they can find gimmicks to market monitors will never reach their final form. That said is HDR going to be a big thing?

>1945x1488

>We must secure the existence of our pixels and a future for UHD

said the retard.

If we were being honest 720p would be plenty enough even for a TV/monitor if there wasn't an interest in selling higher resolution units (which then need to be more powerful (another sales pitch) just to render it).

Can't imagine anything more than 8k making sense on a reasonably sized monitor.