Go is a pretty good middle ground between brainlet languages like python and javascript and autism languages like c &...

Go is a pretty good middle ground between brainlet languages like python and javascript and autism languages like c & c++

discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html
jetbrains.com/research/devecosystem-2017/
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#top-paying-technologies
pastebin.com/V7geTns3
github.com/gonum
github.com/samuell/awesome-scientific-go
medium.com/javascript-non-grata/the-top-10-things-wrong-with-javascript-58f440d6b3d8
gobyexample.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wrong

now fuck off

also
>javascript
>basically a lisp dialect
>brainlet language

doubly fuck off dumbfuck, reddit calls you

It's only going to get shit on by Sup Forums because the groupthink has determined it's a meme. Best not to discuss it here.

upset webdev detected

How can it be a middle ground if even Python has more metaprogramming stuff in it?

>no generics
>pointers but no pointer arithmetic
>50 year old syntax
>created for "googlers" not programmers
>literally created because C was too difficult for new google diversity hires

claiming js is a programming language.
lmao, the denial is hard here

>being dumb enough to succumb to sociological pressures like groupthink

I didn't. I use and like Go, but I know better than to talk about it here.

Go could've been amazing but sadly they fucked it up with things like no generics.

Still nobody use it.

It has good net/http library. Else is shit.
They could have made it so much better with generics and objects

I dunno, I think Go is one of brainlet languages.

Holy shit, that picture.

kekd

>wanting a language with types like *mut *mut RefCell

kek

Everything needs to be needlessly complex, user.

only normalfags can't see the autism level in javascript.

>no generics.
only pajeets needs generics.

Did you just say javascript was a lisp dialect?

>everything is lisp

This, using map, filter, reduce, one liner arrow functions, spread operators make me feel the joy of autism I enjoyed using c pointers

Sexual frustration, the post.

why is it autism? making things shorter is objectively better than writing a class with 200 lines for an easy task because muh rigid unbreakable OOP rules out of my ass. nothing beats concatenating map, filter, reduce, etc., even a child could understand the code if they know what we're passing to the functions and what is being returned in each step.

also, go is decent but sadly google doesn't give a fuck about it since it wasn't a day 1 hit.

it's literal shit

>interface{}

>basically a lisp dialect
Jesus dude...

I like go, but empty interface is not generics

>>basically a lisp dialect
((((are("you sure about that?")))))

it's hilarious how easily go triggers nu-Sup Forums

javascript is absolutely nothing like lisp. what the fuck lmao

>Basically a lisp dialect

Wow the person must be hideous to agree to such a visual downgrade.

lol no generics

JavaScript is a lisp in c clothing it supports lambdas and closures

crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

Why is he doing that? It seems like it's going to lead to a complicated unmaintainable mess

>created for "googlers" not programmers
>literally created because C was too difficult for new google diversity hires
fucking this, it's just a really dumbed-down C with some extra hand holding and a 'modern' string type

lots of cunts seem to like it for writing small services and utilities though (stuff where ruby or python aren't really up to the job but it's not worth the time to do it in C)

Name one language made after 1980 that doesnt have lambda statements
Youre a fucking mong

C++98

Python has more interesting features than Go which is a pretty simple programming language

>he thinks python is for brainlets

I guess statistical computing isnt the CS curriculum.

>lambdas and closures make a lisp
Call me back when it has homoiconic syntax and macros.

Yeah, programs running at a hundredth of the speed is super interesting.

not that user but statistics and by extension machine learning is math for brainlets, so it figures

inexperienced programmer detected

99% of the time this isn't a concern in the real world.

It isn't always a concern, but 99% of the time is an exaggeration. There are few programs where performance doesn't matter at all.

There are most programs where the tradeoff in programmer efficiency using something like Python/Ruby/Clojure more than makes up for the performance lost using something like Java/C.

It used to be that computer time was more expensive than programmer time. That hasn't been the case for literal decades.

99% is indeed an exaggeration because python isn't that slow. Its speed is perfectly fine for anything I do. List comprehensions, higher order functions, etc.

People like you are the reason my web browser is using 10 GB is RAM, though, so please kill yourself.

>python isn't that slow
I've done a number of performance comparisons involving Python by now, and most of the time it ends on right around 100 times slower than eg. C, Java or Lisp in SBCL.

see Sup Forums

Well I suppose you have like 16 GB RAM (the standard) so it's ok. People really need to upgrade their PCs and use a decent browser (i.e. not microshit).

>

D is C++ without the autism and all the power.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, nigger.

that doesn't mean what you think it means, tard

>it was made for googlers too dumb to use C
>C was made for bell brainlets too dumb for ASM
>ASM is for neophytes too dumb to memorize 50 pages of opcodes

THIS
you faggots should know your opcodes like the palms of your hands

>so it's ok
It's not when I try to run it on my laptop with 2 GB RAM.
>People really need to upgrade their PCs
Or I just don't run programs you and your ilk have written.

Logo blatantly copies the amazing world of Gumball

> no argument

According to surveys from stackoverflow and jetbrains

It's a pretty "promising" language and the pay in the US is high af.

jetbrains.com/research/devecosystem-2017/

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#top-paying-technologies

>implying js isn't a lisp language
>he can't write JavaScript entirely using brackets, + and !
Brainlets
pastebin.com/V7geTns3

What do you use python for? I mostly code for physics and I normally use python without much difficulties.

if you can't write a binary directly using 0s and 1s without looking up opcodes for every fucking instruction you're simply a pajeet, that's Sup Forumshacks logic

I agree that c++ being a full blown autism but c? really?

I use it for all sorts of stuff, so I'm well aware that performance doesn't always matter, but there are also tons of places where I choose to not use Python precisely because of performance. If you're using it for physics, I'm guessing you use numpy, which, of course, isn't itself written in Python.

My uses for Python includes, but is not limited to, various small utilities, web development and even the odd GUI program. It might be mentioned in that context that I have seen the limits of Python performance when doing web development with it. Fortunately I haven't hit the ceiling yet, but I'm looking for a reasonable replacement as a background task

Every language is just a lisp DSL.

t. smug lisp weenie

C is a stone age language

I'd like to agree, as I too am a smug Lisp weenie, but what many of those other inferior language often do have that Lisp does not is standardization of programming concepts that are modern in comparison to Lisp. Languages like Java or Python have standardized interfaces for such things as threading, network programming, Unicode and often even stuff like image processing, common network protocols &c., whereas all of these things are implementation-specific extensions to Common Lisp. It's a tragedy that CL hasn't been kept up-to-date, really.

And yet! There is no other language that fills its niche.

for webdev your latency is mainly dependent on your database and your techniques of using caching, if you do that correctly you have a server with a latency (not bandwidth!) comparable to golang

You forget HolyC, the language of the Lord God Almighty

I just studied C++ for one year, it is the only programming language I have ever known. What makes it autist-tier?

>no generics
:(

people who complains about no generics all the time are the clear example that dynamic languages are better.

There's no such thing as an ideal language. What's good for one purpose might be shit for another. It all depends on where you want to go. That being said, I heard that c++ was pretty good for a lot of stuff, so you should be fine.

their autistic compiling times

It's 7 years old and has mostly shitty frameworks and poor quality software written in it, nothing noteworthy.

I don't see it changing. It's a combination of the situation where people who can't be arsed to do things the difficult way if necessary meet a language that is pretty half-assed. [Not that some other languages aren't this way - looking at you Python, Python2->3 still not done. But there are much better languages anyhow.]

dumb webnigger

It is very fast? People say a lot of dumb shit on here now

Practically yeah. Very little constraints to programming, terse syntax and coupled with JSON you kinda get the "code as data" and having ability to spin new prototype functions out of ass even mid forloop and then discard if they done served their purpose is nice.

Also Scheme..
(define (myfunction arg))
(define myarg)
..vs JS..
var myfunction = function (arg)
var myarg

see resemblance?

There is literally nothing wrong with JavaScript. It was created by very smart lisper for normies by disguising it as some kind of Java. Far better than Python.

People who don't know JS at all often confuse it with JSON, CSS or HTML and then wonder how is that programming.

>autists hate on go
>muh google
>use c xdd
no devs

Go is not a bad langauge, bu tit is neither Python nor C or C++.

Python is much higher level, C is lower level.

That said, Python is shit and Pythonsitas are annoying people, so I'll be gald to see Go taking over Pythons's homebases one by one..

>github.com/gonum
>github.com/samuell/awesome-scientific-go

Because lots of people think they are clever when they make an unmaintainable mess.

That is how a lot of people code without lead programmers fixing their shitty code.

how is C lower level than Python again?

I hope this is bait.

>medium.com/javascript-non-grata/the-top-10-things-wrong-with-javascript-58f440d6b3d8

And JavaScript is not a Lisp or even remotely close, stop saying that.
Python or Ruby are a million times closer to Lisp.

The only things that JS and Lisp have in common are dynamic typing, First-class functions and closures.

JS has a totally differnt scoping system, no tail call elimination, no continuations, no S-expression syntax (no, JSON is not an adequate comparison), no Macros and definitely no homoiconicity. JS loves to mutate data while in Lisp you usually avoid to mutate things.

Bye pajeet

Yes, go manages to combine memory consumption of Python with verbosity and error-proneness of C.

Sweet baby Jesus, what am I looking at?

You are not wrong, but the basic ideas of Go are not bad. I think the go channels are a really great idea. The auto indention is great, mutliple return values are great and Go is pretty fast.

The problem is that Go just isn't as fast as C. But it's pretty hard to do the trade-offs, if you really want the last bit of performance you have to include some sort of memory fuckery, and that's what Go is trying to avoid because it brings you a lot of problems.

But Go is great niche and I like that EVERYONE can programm and read go. If you have a basic understanding in C you can learn Go in a few days.

Where can I learn golang?

>mutliple return values are great
Wait till you learn about tuples from actually good languages.

This, webshits seem to hate go so i'm guessing its a pretty good lang

I assume you're learning PHP next.

gobyexample.com/

I write c, c++ and python and I hate golang

Go's standard library is top notch, and the language was clearly intended for creating micro services and tooling, supports simple concurrency, and has nice convenience functions that make it pleasant and uncontrived to use, like a scripting language, despite being compiled and statically typed. It does all of that fantastically and that's why I love it and it's becoming a popular language in the industry. Sup Forums will hate it because they've never actually done any programming other than reading through K&R.