/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-IPS-LCD-i7-2-7-GHz-8-GB-Ram-128-GB-SSD-Win-10-Pro/131905879627
m.aliexpress.com/s/item/459801130.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for T520 being bestpad

x220 on its way lads

Got a T420. Kernel panics on loonix distros for some reason. Worth trying hackintosh?

No.
I'm on a T420 now, loonix works flawlessly.

Just kill your ego and install Windows 10

Got my T430 today with 2x4GB RAM. I want to upgrade to the 16GB meme but two new sticks of 8GB DDR3 are expensive. Do I bite the bullet or just get one 8GB to bring it up to 12 or what?

12 is shit. Stay at 8 or suck the your dick for 12

Use it for a while and see if you even need more. I've got 16GB in my X220 and I could have gone with 8..

I have the chance to pick up a x260 with a i5-6300u and a 256gb ssd for €450 with minimal wear or should I just spend the extra €200 and get a x270 with similar specs instead.

Did you get it with an i7, 8 gb RAM, and an SSD? Do it! Pick up a slice battery if you haven't already. You're in for a great time. Had mine for a few weeks now and it's the best laptop I've ever owned.

Already using Windows 10. I like trying different operating systems and seeing what I like though.

Which laptop can drive the 4338 docking station ? T520 with nvidia ?

did i do good?

X220T with no HDD caddy for $120 USD and $40 USD shipping.

also im in canada so idk, what if the import fee is more than $25? (the seller used UPS)

what would i do?

pls help..

redpill me on the x230t
seems pretty comfy

How in the fucking world is this possible?
ran a tlp fullcharge

>x230t
buy x220t

Got an E470 recently, it's [spoiler] pretty good [/spoiler]

What's a good portable vpn open wrt router that's small enough to tape on the lid of my librebooted thinkpad?

Just bought mine last night, waiting for the cunt from ebay to ship it.

Just got a x220 and one of the keys came like this. I noticed one of the plastic pieces that holds the key in place is broken. My guess it's this but I feel like the key could still halfway hold in place with it broken. When I have put together the key wiggles back and forth easily.

If not the slice, the 9 cell is plenty

oh fuck, someone promoting the e series? That never happens

>sue ebay seller
>hit lawyer
>delete gym
>facebook up

What do i look up on eBay for replacement switches?

It's my first thinkpad so I don't have much to compare it to other than other shitbooks I've used over the years.

>decent key travel
>absolute dog-shit trackpad (doesn't matter though because of trackpoint)
>matte display is nice
>cheap enough for the specs
>TPM enabled
>fingerprint scanner
>HDMI out
>ethernet port
>passable speakers
>air vents on bottom
>feels well built
>nice hinge, can be opened one handed

8/10 pretty decent would buy again

how do i make the special Fn+F* keys work on a T60 under linux? i want to hit Fn+F2 to log out of the current session.

Fn+F2 is just to lock it and it works just fine with linux on my X60s and X220

that doesn't do me a lot of good right now though. the thinkwiki documents aren't super great for this either, to be honest.

will have to dig deeper...

what's the difference between x220, x230, x240, x420, x666, x(insert number here)?

i honestly do not understand. I have a bunch of guesses but. forgive me

>x420, x666
Don't be a fucking idiot, there are guides in the OP

I know that, and I've read through them, but while I can get the gist of the differences between X series, T series, W series, on and on, I can't really grasp the differences between each X series (other than the suffixes like -i and whatnot).

>X series
small, lightweight
12", a few old 13" models
integrated graphics and soldered dualcores only
some convertible tablet models
no ultrabay without a docking station

>T series
standard size, 14" and 15"
integrated graphics, some models have optional modest dedicated GPU
socketed CPU, can be upgraded to quadcore except on slim variants

>W series
mobile workstations, 15" and 17"
more powerful dedicated GPUs in all models
socketed CPU, four RAM slots if it was quadcore out of the factory
best screens, far superior to the X or T series offerings
bigass AC adapter and often throttles when on battery

sometimes when i get depressed i decide to turn on the thinklight for a second and then turn it off

it doesn't do much, but i like having it for some reason

Just got gifted a 2013 lenovo thinkpad yoga for my bday. Awesome gift. had a currupt win 8 install on it. Initially planned on dual booting with 10 but I might not.

Never had a good laptop before, didnt seem I really have much use for one, but im not gonna waste this.

SSD's actually better then my desktop im def switching for double the space alone the 550/550 read write will help too

Installed Xubuntu on my x220 and I went into the settings so that when I close the lid the computer goes to sleep. But when I go to close it, it does nothing. How do I fix this?

I... I appreciate your help user but I literally just said I understand the difference between X, T, and W series
even then you actually gave even more insight into those, so thank you, still.

What I don't understand is the difference between the numbers inside a series, for example what makes a x220 different from a x230, a x240, on and on

it's because the laptop uses the pressure from the screen on the think vantage button to tell whether the screen is closed or not. So I guess your screen isn't making contact or something.
Try putting a small sharp object on the button next time you're closing the screen so that it touches the screen better, the less contact area the better.
Next time you open your screen it should look like it's asleep

I didn't know that about thinkpads. I'll put something on the bezel where the button meets like adhesive foam or something. Sucks that I have to it looks ugly.

Oh, sorry. Those are generations. X200 is Penryn Core 2 Duo, X201 is Nehalem i-series, X220 is Sandy Bridge, etc.. Every couple of generations there's a major design overhaul. The X200 and X201 are almost identical physically, to the point where you can put a motherboard from one generation in the chassis of another. The X220 is completely different and basically none of the parts are compatible with the older models.

got a docking station for free off of my bro tier teacher

replacement keyboard

Tried putting a small thing between them but it didn't do anything. I don't know if this is relevant but my x220 from ebay came with a bunch of plastic adhesive stuff around the screen. I'm thinking that's just for shipping.

haha I do the same thing. It just brings some amusement to my life... It's nice.

Anyone know where a guy can get a thinkpad for less than 50$ because i need a computer to test linux stuff so that i can practice my GNU/linux bash terminal skills in w/out killing my main comp by doing something retarded.

Use a VM.

I used an app called LetGo to buy two T420s's locally for $30 a piece.

please help me

i just got a x220 with no os and i cant get it to launch anything i put in

ive tried gentoo, ubuntu and windows 10

what am i missing?

im using a usb drive

Id do the same thing 120gb is just not enough for a gaming pc ssd

If I where a Lenovo engineer I'd just fucking kill myself at this point.

51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html

I may have to remove the outer case on my Desktops drive. shouldnt be a problem

don't keep doing it. It's supposed to break your screen. I was just kidding man.

Doesn't everyone do this?

So I looked up your problem. There is something physically wrong with your laptop. See the real way that they detect the screen being shut or not is with a magnet near the logo I think (that's how it works on the t60 anyway). So I don't know how you can fix it but now you know what the problem is.

please

I need to know more. Have you gone into the bios and changed the boot order?

yes

Network Boot USB HDD
UEFI/Legacy Boot Legacy only
Boot Mode quick

BR0 Y0U G07 M3

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-IPS-LCD-i7-2-7-GHz-8-GB-Ram-128-GB-SSD-Win-10-Pro/131905879627

There's only 2 of these left and I'm about to impulse buy it. Smart decision?

have you tried un-switching the microphone jack

i dunno what that is

can i get windows 7 pro with the license key on the laptop?

It is, buy it. Finding batteries might be a slight problem tho

PLEASE

fook off

noice. give him your anal virginity

install gentoo

if you're suggesting things other than a thinkpad you're in the wrong thread

Why not the tablet version tho

Help with what? You've already bought it nigga

I heard it isn't all that worth it and I already have a graphics tablet, I dunno... feels like I'm paying extra for something I might not even use

Also heard the tablet version screen is a bitch to replace/find/afford

swapped the drives but both think theyre the original drives.. installed linux on the 120 in the thinkpad.

Threw the 240 from the laptop in my main rig and not only did it think it was the old drive it had all the shit the 100 had.

still messing in bios as im ure thats the culprit while installin the same distro on my main rig

This, sadly. I fucked up my shift key scissor switch trying to clean the keyboard out and now it's kinda bouncy.
You can get one on AE for $30
m.aliexpress.com/s/item/459801130.html

>i7 IPS SSD 269€

BUY NOW

FUCK

I WILL TRUST YOUR WORDS user

When you boot are you pressing the ThinkVantage button when it tells you to? That's how you select a temporary boot device, it's how I boot into a USB every time.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET

i did it

something inside me tells me I should not be buying thinkpads when i cannot feed myself

should I cancel this order or should i eat the keys in case it turns out to be shit

I'm close to buying the one that's left, but I have an i5 one already and I'm happy with it. For us europoors that's a great price, the SSD, RAM and IPS is about 50% of the price and it's well worth it

hey guys I have a t420s with Intel graphics but it only supports 2 displays at a time

if I want more screen real estate than a 2560x1600 and a 1920x1200 do I have any options to expand?

docking, egpu, a Nvidia motherboard?
what's most cost effective?

why the fuckle RetroArch lags in my T430

T60 lad here, I'm loving it. Keyboard is much better even than the T61, the IPS screen is heavenly, and no botnet.

Why would I ever upgrade, Sup Forums?

everything is botnet, don't be fooled

fuck you bitch, t60 isn't botnet at all

"oh lol everything is botnet, better just install anything and everything which is confirmed botnet because lol it doesn't matter"

fucking scumbag bitch

RetroArch is absolute shit. Don't use it.

Lol I'm just kidding. Everything is botnet because nothing is botnet. Botnet only exists within the minds of paranoid autists.

how did you get an IPS screen in a T60? plz explain

no it's a real thing, intel even updated their management engine firmware to solve a bug in their botnet recently

t60 came with FlexView™ IPS screens in select configurations

which thinkpad i could buy new today, that will stand the test of time and still be a solid old pc 10 years from now?
tinyurl
.com
/
CurrentThinkPads

do NOT buy a new chinkpad

WHY? sensei?

n o

if anything try to find an unused one from 2014/15 ish

Just not the new thinkpad "retro"

first letter is model line
x : ultraportable
t: standard
w: workstation
p: workstation(newer line)

the first number is for the screen size in inches plus 10. so an x220 has a 12" screen and a w701 has a 17" screen.

The second number is for generation
an x230 is newer than an x220 is newer than an x200.

The third number, if present, is for revisions
so a w541 is a newer revision of the w540

a second letter(s) after the number, if present, are for special features
s : slim
t : tablet
p : performance
ds : double screen

get x240 fhd for 500 yurobucks. no normie will tell the dfiference

X is the only way to go

Also you didn't mention the E series

>E series
???

that's because it's shit

ah, looks like only for the 15" models though

E=economy version?

What's the consensus on the best Thinkpad?