"Go to college," they said

How am I supposed to advance in the world?

I got a BS in 16, COMPTIA A+, and a basic bitch job handling all tech issues at a public school campus.
Do I just wait two years and apply somewhere else to be relevant?

Everyone wants all this fucking experience, or a fucking laundry list of """""preferred""""" skills for a near entry-level job.

Am I doomed to be cucked by H1B Pajeets who will work for 60% of my salary?

Helpo

i want to help you but this field is becoming too saturated as it is already

this.

its over for tech being good money, even software.

you're better off doing something like engineering.

>compsci major
>business minor
>3.5 gpa
>2 years helpdesk experience
>only making 38k right if college working in a warehouse

Yea fuck this. Can't find a job anywhere

that'd be another 5 figures of money down the drain, I don't think I can scrape it.

I hear tradeschool can set you up pretty well. Electrician maybe?

- A+ is the most base level cert and proves nothing more than the basics of "you know what a computer is" it's not impressive, get your CCNA / SEC+ or something, at least those require some effort
- Cool, you got the paper, did you do any internships? Work on anything (even if it's just half assed attempts and playing around) in your spare time? is it public?
- Did you ever try to apply for a part time job or even a full time job of a lower rung job? e.g. help desk, while you search for a better job?
- Have you tried applying outside your city? There might be something if you're willing to move.
- Ask around among your friends, they might be able to help get you an interview
- Ask the career services for your university, they may be able to help

Those are the main points I'd focus on.

CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A FUCKING PROBLEM

Who gives a fuck about a degree? When hiring a new Sys Admin or Help Desk Tech, I look at certs. > experience > degree. It's not that your degree is useless, it's that you can't teach troubleshooting beyond theory in a vacuum environment, like a school. I prefer hands on experience to straight education, though attitude is maybe the biggest winner here. I'll take any personable, fully-functioning adult over a smart, knowledgeable autist who can't be bothered to clean themselves and thinks that they are God's gift to Earth for simply knowing how to restart a computer.

Also, you have TWO YEARS of experience. You want to make 65k + two years out of school? You should have been a programmer, buddy. I didn't start making close to 65k until after 6-7 years of experience and that's because I knew when to switch jobs to get a promotion I probably wasn't going to get at my current job.

Pro-tip: attitude is everything in IT. Think of all of the angsty, entitled, angry, autistic fucks that work in Help Desk. Their attitude is what landed them that job and what makes them stay there. Get a better attitude, work well with people, and learn how to BE FUCKING PATIENT. Holy fuck, I can't tell you how annoying young, impatient fucks are. They are the first to get laid off when cutbacks come rolling.

Seriously, a good attitude, being approachable, and being personable will take you further than any degree or cert will for Help Desk and Sys Admin jobs. People will hire you over an experience, knowledgeable autist any day because the average Joe hates dealing with shitty IT. Being overhead, they are the money makers and you are not. Appreciate situation, not the necessarily the people.

>It's not that your degree is useless, it's that you can't teach troubleshooting beyond theory in a vacuum environment
Not that I disagree, but certs are hardly an indicator of good troubleshooting skills. That comes with experience.

>You want to make 65k + two years out of school?
I want to take home more than $1650 every month, I feel I must have fucked up somewhere to make $2200/month before deductions with a four year degree

I've got more experience than most my age with troubleshooting, but its hard to condense that into a resume point or effectively expand on it in a 5 minute interview question

, $1650/mo is about how much I pay in taxes out of my paycheck. Do more, make it known, work on expressing that properly in a written form, find a way to demonstrate it.

>mentioning A+ cert

even though this story is made up, that would be the reason you are in the position you are

bro if you're not into machine learning and data science you should just jump ship and pursue something else. it's your only chance to ever getting a well paid secure job in this field now, it's the present and the future for the companies. but you gotta be fast, even those are already starting to become saturated.

help desk people are ticket jockeys

i started making mid 70s right out of college working in security. and im in the middle of nowhere with a low cost of living

these threads are always so funny

I can type 100+ wpm, what job can I get with that?

>security
shooting people or keeping out chinks?
Either sounds fun

it was a requirement and they paid for it so eh

>you should just jump ship and pursue something else
shiiiiiiiit. Where to? I've been considering doing home visits to retirement homes to fix old people's PC problems for $80 an hour.

Kek, ops people. Software dev here, 6 figures 6 months after finishing degree. In 'semi-rural' town no less. Could make double in the city

Become familiar with Linux and do tech support with Red Hat.

I can try that, thanks user

I just fucking hate programming. java, c++, python, sql

I'd fucking be happy as just a "Help Desk, low on the IT pole" dude. My current Job is basically non IT and slowly headed down the shit drain due to piss poor management and cutbacks. Only good thing is that my current situation unless I screw up (Highly unlikely) I'm set till the day I can retire (14 years away) and I'm only 34 right now. I've been trying like hell for the past 2 years to get into IT within the "Company" but they are doing the whole outsource dance so most low level IT has been taken over by outside contractor types. All upper IT is all manger/programmer/dev types. I've no desire to be an upper level dude, to much bullshit,paperwork and ass kissing required for those jobs.

I dont work for red hat but I've spoken to people who do. You often get calls that last 2 hours - none of that "pls reset my password shit". It's more like "ssh into my company's server and fix grub" or whatever.

It doesn't pay particularly well, but a few years experience there and you'll be more than qualified for pretty much any linux system admin job.

I'll look into it, definitely a step in the right direction, IE helpdesk-tier hell

I am 19 and i make 3.4k a month
How does this make you feel?

I make 65k straight out school.

Not a programmer (only know visual basic and scripting languages such as bash/powershell). IT-consultant, dealing mostly with CaaS and IaaS.

Have a bachelors.

Pay is also expected to rise 10% when I'm out of my trial period. Then after that steadily increase until around 100k.

I hear welding is pretty big as far as trades go. if you already have a degree, doing shit to set yourself apart is probably more productive though.

kek, court stenographer?

Professional fanfic writer

>gpa
Do yank employees even look at that shit?

>Do I just wait two years and apply somewhere else to be relevant?
That's pretty much it.

Welcome to the world of needing experience to get a starting job.

how much money/time was it to get a comptia? im doing civil engineering but want to have that just in case.

Fools should've just done accounting and programmed on the side. Guaranteed job. Internships junior year pay 25-35K in my area. Not even bull shitting right now

CS makes nearly double lol

why do mods allow stupid job/career/uni threads on Sup Forums. They're literal cancer.

Doing what exactly ? How are you not larping?

>go to college for the sake of going to college
>your motivation is going there because people say so rather than going there to exploit all the tools and privileges that come with membership
>never carve out your preferred job path so you can have a clear and focused goal from the 1st day
>never spend time in the library learning the histories of relevant figures to your goal to learn how they cashed in on their skills
>minor in business yet never learn how to develop entrepreneurship and understand to analyze where and how you can apply your skills
I don't get how someone can fail this much.
GPA is worthless if you don't know how to use it.

Meanwhile, university professors tells you that every year there is a need for 6 gorillion new CS educated people so there is massive demand.
Are they really this pathologically liars or do they just live in an alternate timeline?

is there such a thing as a degree in sysadmining?

>tfw living in european shithole, aka "outsourcing kingdom"
>IT jobs everywhere
>making $70k yearly
Even Trump won't save you from this, americucks.

WOW if you think 3.4k a month is leaping you should be ashamed of yourself

Got a software development job straight after school, all I had to do is analyse the business model of the company, find how I could optimize their workflow, develop some software for them. Forced myself to get an interview with them, present my project.
Got the job developing software for them part time. The rest of my time studying CS in OpenUniversity.
While working there for 2 months, I already got a lot more connections and got other job proposals.
Basically all you have to do is work hard and study nights.

Minimum wage in Poortugal is 550 European shekels.

i can type with 3% per 1k characters typo margin @ ~160wpm for about 6 hours consistently before my fingers start failing
mostly data entry, sometimes scribing audio

Basic IT tech support is really saturated. If you really want a job be willing to move. Or switch to something like software development since everyone wants programmers.

If you can hold yourself during an interview and come off as a normal person and not some asspie then by default you will appear better than 80% of applicants.

If you don't get interviews you need to work on resume.

Maintanence at a manufacturing plant. Im Straight out of high school, if it is possible you could try to learn plc/scada/robot coding and make alot of money.

How about CNC or do you need a degree for that ?

And thanks!

God damn, my wife makes 15 an hour which comes out to a little over 2000 a month with no degree, and her job will pay for her bachelor's where she'll make 55 an hour after getting it

>tech school 2 year associates degree
>A+, Linux+, CCNA certs
>1 year exp very part time at a very small MSP

Just got hired at another small MSP starting at 42k. Job search took probably 6 months, stay dedicated to it. Someone will bite if you know wtf you're doing and don't shit your pants during the interview

I dont have any degree/certification other then from high school. Everything i need to do in "maintanence" does not require a degree. From what i have seen from CNC, is that they generally have high entrence levels. But it can differ widly. Some might accept you on the spot "for training" if you have a CS degree.

I make $4400 / month doing entry level stuff for a university.
I have a friend who took the same degree making $5800 / month in the private sector.
I am doing a passion project, so it is worth it I think, but damn I would like to get paid one day.

Where do you people live?
When I tell people I'm doing CS, half the time they know a relative who got the American Dream(tm) immediately after college

3rd world cuckland

How do I get experience when I can't get a job to gain experience?

>getting a degree involving tech in any way
idiot

do it for FREE

if you work for free do you get food and rent free too

no retard you stay in the job you have and then do the free shit in your spare time

Nope. CS grads are making 35-40k starting in a perfect world. Accounting people already make that before they even get hired.