/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/user/pen/yzmPxP
fading.blue
w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_grid_basic.asp
w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_table_colspan
chanstats.info
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm retarded.

Not really. I'm trying to understand MVC by creating an implementation.

how I make scam site to become rich?

>tfw typing out bullshit PHP code on your comfy chiclet keyboard, just tapping away endlessly with trivial bullshit like an if statement that echoes 's' to the end of 'point' if there is not 1 point in the database for the particular user
Can anybody else relate, I just want to write a whole ton of bullshit like a real hackerman

How come application cache is deprecated and it's successor requires https??

I don't want to use up space/bandwidth on my hosted website. So I'm wondering about free image hosts. imgur? I see that one around.

Thing about uploading your files to companies that aren't managed by you is that they can take down your files whenever they wish and they also reserve ownership of any files you upload to their servers

If you have a site logo for example, it is owned by whatever site hosts it. So if you link your site logo to an imgur file then imgur will own the logo

whats the point of css's border vs outline

how big are the images? it's probably a few megs at most

>they can take down your files whenever they wish

That's probably the meat of my question. How likely are they to do that, or do they have a record of removing stuff. I'd keep local copies of everything.

>it is owned by whatever site hosts it

Definitely would avoid any pics that were important or high value where my ownership is concerned.

I should work that out. The idea with the site is to be ongoing. Although I don't want to be just putting up cruft the idea is to eventually have a good volume of material. Right now I have no issue, that's for sure.

Are you doing an imageboard or something?

if it's a small site, just get a vps for like $5 a month and self host it

Not at all. More like short articles. Sometime pictures are a good fit. I just want to be able to put up images freely and abundantly.

That's certainly a concern.

I know Flickr doesn't take ownership over your pictures so that's fine to use.
Also you can hide your galleries at Flickr and still use the ("secret") url's no login required.

Send me 0.045 bitcoin and I'll show you everything you need to know.

Best to upload to your own server, image files aren't that high in size really

External image hosts can take down the images whenever they wish and they prune often anyway so you'll be caught out in the future when your images are replaced with dead links

outlines don't cause the element to grow like borders do.

>External image hosts can take down the images whenever they wish and they prune often

Just don't use those shitty "earn money with your picture" image hosts.

I should sit down with a calculator then. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I do take care to optimize the images. I have a couple of command line sequences somewhere that I run on them.

box-sizing: border-box;

Hell, you can't even hotlink to those anyways.

Just use Instagram or Picasa or whatever.

What's so pajeet about using PHP? If I build a simple CMS based on PHP/MySQL that is exposed through an API am I still doing something wrong?

PHP is just a garbage language with an inconsistent API, random changes between versions, and a million gotchas

And there's already a fuckload of CMSade with PHP/MySQL, why are you building another?

lol, I just looked that their cpanel stats section

Disk Space Usage
261.19 MB / 24.41 GB

I'm good for now. The bandwidth will kill me though after I rocket into virality.

because everything is bloated

I'm currently working as a freelance graphic designer (I mostly do stuff for print) while attending uni (architecture). I have a decent understanding of programming and I use python and java/processing at school. The thing is I don't really see myself as an Architect, the research is fun, but I'm not too interested in houses, and the pay is miserable.

The question is, would diving into webdev worth it? Is design experience a valuable skill in the field? And is it possible to get hired with a degree in nonrelated stuff like architecture?

how do i:
1) get the category labels to start on column #2 and span 2 columns? just doing span 2 or column-start: 2 does one or the other of what i want to do...

2) force a new row for the cells starting with 1?

codepen.io/user/pen/yzmPxP

>And is it possible to get hired with a degree in nonrelated stuff like architecture?
I have a degree in Journalism and I hate content writing. If you can teach yourself then nothing's stopping you.

is there anything better than django?

express

Is webdev actually profitable? I've 0 experience with webdev but i've been programming for a little while now. I'm not really interested into websites at all but I need a side source of income and I wanted to know how long it would take for me to learn and if it's actually realistic to expect money from it.

lel
If you don't really have an interested in it, then webdev will make you want to kill yourself in no time.
If you like doing it on the other hand, then even dealing with something like webpack configs can be interesting in a way.

well I do enjoy programming in general, I wouldn't write the entire idea off yet before i've even been exposed to it. But I also don't want to waste my time on a skill that won't be profitable.

Fixing responsive is so boring.

You can literally google that question and get real answers with graphs on the average income of a WebDev. But instead you chose to ask some unemployed fatslobs on Sup Forums.

You retarded moron.

>How likely are they to do that, or do they have a record of removing stuff.
Imgur has blocked embedding from a couple of guitar websites I used to frequent, because users would post dozens of hires images hosted from there. They're definitely pretty stingy when it comes to hosting for other people.

It's okay, user. We all are.

Do you develop the front end first? Or the backend?

What do you guys think of my temporary image host? fading.blue

I got sick of imgur try to force its app and shitty community on me

what's the benefit of this over the 700 pomf clones out there

I HATE CSS

Is there any other way to style a page?

I'm not tracking shit, no google analytics, social media or bullshit. Just simple temporary image sharing without the hassle.

get unmetered bandwidth, though the terms usually contain a couple of *
maybe a cdn could help with mostly static assets

the codepen and the file differs for me

that said, if you want a table, use a table probably with the appropriate thead/tbody elements and colspan

if you want a grid, use a grid. I'm only familiar with bootstrap, you would use 2 divs with .row class and align the content with .col-* classes
w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_grid_basic.asp

w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_table_colspan

>1. I hate CSS
>2. I can use CSS but it is retarded
>3. I will use html/css in my desktop app

Can someone give me a list of good webdev frontend podcasts?

Some RSS feeds would be neat, too.

But why?
Also, use Sass you mongoloid.

>Coworker uses reaction gifs in github comments
Why do people do this?

>coworker has anime avatar

You do it the agile way and build front and back features one by one, always delivering working code

>always delivering working code

no shit

Coworker is actually a CIA nigger.

Is it possible to 'mirror' a div and its contents? So that they both show the same thing?

yes, pretty much everything is possible.
What exactly is it, that you want to achieve?

Got a chart in one tab. I want to make the same chart in another tab, rather than recomputing everything.
Right now, I'm working with JQuery clone(), but I don't need a deep copy.

heh, thought I had an easy answer.
what's the chart drawn with? canvas, svg?
is jquery copy fundamentally different than copying from element.innerHTML?

c3js.
Jquery copy literally just copies the html and event listeners. BUT, my company is using VueJS as well, which is attached to the chart, and Vue's event listeners aren't listening. Which is making my work harder than it needs to be.

Render it outside the regular tab context so it stays the same irrespective of the current tab - this approach makes a lot of assumptions about your code (and UI), but it's the only way I can see you not having to rerender it when changing tabs.

Alternatively, if your computations are actually the bottleneck, just store the processed data on the first render and reuse it on subsequent renders

if you are using Vue, wouldn't the chart just be in a component? No need for jQuery to copy anything when you have something like that.
I bet something with vues 'keep-alive' cached components would work for that.

>Render it outside the regular tab context so it stays the same irrespective of the current tab

That could work.

He means, of course, that you have a continuously working deliverable at every point of the project lifecycle.

If imgur finds out you use them as a CDN (and they will find out soon) they'll remove all your images and ban your IP.

as an alternative to putting shit into production on purpose?

150k/yr webdev here.

which language mainly and what do you do exactly?

Relative beginner here.

How do you guys decide on a good scale ratio? Do you have one that you tend to go with?
Also, how do you cope with responsiveness and the fact that there's less horizontal space on mobile?

Would adding a second, smaller scale for mobile be a decent solution?

I just drop in bootstrap and try to cut down on the fat. Though I test my sites on mobile, if users would care about usability/experience, they would not browse on a crippled device. The mere fact people use mobile for anything besides actually calling someone tells a lot about their tech literacy.

>hurr let me interject why I need a smartphone up my ass

it might be inconvenient, but truth is you fell for a meme

Maybe so, but you have to work with external realities, i.e. people using mobile, and clients wanting responsiveness.

I'm mainly just looking to use/define a bunch of variables and write a few mixins that I can re-use in the future so that I can easily adapt shit, and minimize testing effort.
I also use bootstrap in some projects, but typographically it seems suboptimal quite often and it also seems to need excess amounts of media queries in order to look decent.

are you seriously unable to imagine a situation where you would need to browse a website on the fly? guess it's not a use case to a NEET who never leaves his PC...

thing is, they will find a way if they want to use your site. Usually they don't even know what responsive means, because if they did, they would hopefully never install all the botnet on their phones willingly, instead of navigating to a url.

Tbf, when I try to gather feedback about my crudapps I usually send users to stripped down barely ugly as sin, barely working site to test a couple of features. They usually fail to complete the task but are quick to note how amazingly good looking the site is.
Everything that is marginally better than some sap site only usable with ie6> is godsend in their eyes.

Upload your images in base64 to pastebin and use their API to retrieve them on client side.

nobody cared about browsing back in the wap days. There were even services who could be called and they searched for you and tried to answer your question, no one used them.
You are being pretty disingenuous, that is clearly not the use case for the 10 min attention span masses. Unless you define need as looking at your insta feed.

At my last job I had a 30 minute train commute to my office - I browsed like I would normally at home (forums, articles, videos) to pass the time. Why is that not a legitimate use case? Does it have to be cleared by the 'normies-are-shitters commitee' to pass as valid browsing?

Not even being remotely disingenuous

you are moving the goal posts, legitimate use case != need

there is nothing wrong with being a normie and taking pride in it. I just find it weird someone would complain about the lack of responsiveness browsing on a fully botnetted adridden glorified tetris. I mean there could be tech connoisseurs out there like this but wager they are a minority.

> you are moving the goal posts, legitimate use case != need

first you'll have to explain why that distinction matters in the first place?

I like how you resort to bullshit semantics after accusing me of being disingenuous. what the fuck.

> I just find it weird someone would complain about the lack of responsiveness browsing on a fully botnetted adridden glorified tetris.

why are you conflating responsiveness with any of those things? seems you're on a streak of being guilty of everything you accuse me of - actually kind of fascinating

Ive been trying to brush off the dust on what I know about web dev (which is mostly basic css and some java)
Currently making a simple gallery/ portfolio for my coworker with css and some jquery stuff.

I want to try and dip my toes into every method of web design, in case it comes in handy to know the basics.

I intend to try an html5 only page, something using node.js and the like (react, angular, whatever else is still common), and then perhaps old school with php and stuff?

Have any web devs here wound up learning one method and regretting not learning another? Should I try to learn every way I can so I can adapt to whatever I need for a job? Or should I just get gud with a specific method so i cant crank out pages well?

I dont want to learn something just to have to unlearn it.

Here I am, don't want to be retarded NEET, going into the web dev again. God help me.

Is Electron hard?

No. You will go from a retarded NEET, to a retarded web dev, taking on retarded small contracts so you can afford one more retarded animu figurine.

def match_books(user, pk):
book_liked = Book.objects.get(pk=pk)
my_books = Book.objects.filter(owner=user)

to_trade = []
for x in my_books:

if str(book_liked.owner) + ',' in x.liked:

to_trade.append(x.pk)
if to_trade:
try:
Matches.objects.get(user_one=user, user_two=book_liked.owner)
print("try")
return to_trade[0]

except:
Matches.objects.create(user_one=user, user_two=book_liked.owner, books_one=list(to_trade), books_two=pk)
print("except")
return to_trade[0]
print("false")
return False

Why is my try/except running twice? wtf am I doing wrong? Nevermind what the function is doing, but try/except should only be running once, yet they go twice. Help?

because it was the off hand comment you went after with rationalizing what would you do on a 30 mins commute without a phone? Let's just agree we have different opinions whats a 'need'

mainly because they all affect the browsing experience. Invading privacy, phoning home, giving eye cancer and bloating everything with ads while hogging limited resources / increasing response times / burning data caps is much worse than simply making it a bit harder to navigate around a page and no one cares.

I've been using windows my whole time in school, but it seems like every webdev company is using OSX or linux. Is it worth picking up a macbook to get use to the OS before I get a job? I have never used OSX.

probably not. Why not change to loonix right now though? Get familiar with the tooling and you will probably deploy to a linux box anyway

Linux is nice for webdev, compared to windows, though even win is ok with the linux subsystem enabled.
Does OSX have an actual purpose for webdev except photoshop?

Is there any other services like redhat's openshift to host nodejs applications for free BUT with a little more storage space? like ~5GB of storage would be good

ew
Not worth picking one up. The company will provide you with one anyways.
The real solution is get comfortable with it in a virtual machine setup. Plenty of guides around to do exactly that, especially since you're not going to be doing anything too intensive on macos, just getting comfortable with it.

lmao

no

God damn I love react.

>sass
what is this numale garbage?

mistake, that they still promote sass instead of scss syntax on their site.
Much lower barrier to entry if people see, that they can just use their current css and use features in that, instead of having to change all their styles to no-braces, indented sass format.

>sass
>numale
wtf? it literally only makes css a bit more bearable.

Target your audience. Meaning, no it's not necessary to know it all and it would take forever to (be good enough).

Look at what most jobs in your area ask for.

I wonder how ayo is doing

Anyone got a good source on a book about JavaScript?

Kept working on that Sup Forums stats site and overhauled the UI a bit.
Always open to ideas, if you have any.

Would be neat to get some more feedback, but /wdg/ isn't the most frequented thread on Sup Forums by a long shot and dropping links to it somewhere else probably counts as spam. what to do..

chanstats.info

'You Don't Know JS' and 'Eloquent JavaScript' are both fairly popular.

cool but useless application

can't put that on your resume