What the fuck

After hours of troubleshooting my new Gigabit connection and wondering why my PC is getting 400-600mbps speeds when my modem is testing at over 1200mbps, I finally ran the test on a 2nd older computer, and it skyrocketed to 950mbps.

After a bit more testing, I found out that when I run the speed test on my PC my 4.4ghz 3570k peaks at 100% utilization and the speed bottlenecks at 500~ mbps, while on my 2nd computer, the old i7 870 at 3.3ghz barely hits 40% utilization while hitting 900mbps+ speeds. I tested both with the same cable, my NIC drivers are up to date, both PC are running the same OS on a SSD.

What the fuck is going on, are quad cores unable to process gigabit internet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bit_rates
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it’s the chipset on your motherboard you dumb nigger

Nope, the RTL8111E does 10/100/1000.

alright fuck this I tried everything

>580/220
And I was happy with my 80/30...
Things could be worse, user.

On paper.

This is why you buy intel gigabit chipsets not realtek garbage.

4mbps/500kbps here

Check. Your duplex settings OP

>
>Nope, the RTL8111E does 10/100/1000.
Realtek. RIP your throughput.

Yet the Realtek network adapter with 2015 drivers does 950mbps without any issues in my old ass PC on the same network with the same cable.

Why did you cheap out and get realtek NICs on your intel motherboards?

>
> (You)
>Yet the Realtek network adapter with 2015 drivers does 950mbps without any issues in my old ass PC on the same network with the same cable.
Yet for a hardware company, they're awfully hit-and-miss. I've had Gigabit NICs fail to do over 500MBit speeds.

Intel i210 NIC doesn't have this problem

I built this PC 4-5 years ago, honestly didn't expect to get gigabit internet for cheap in my city until at least 2020

not like NIC's are expenive, just pick one up if you need to. Shouldn't run you more than $20-30.

Could be drivers, firmware, cable, bios settings, etc. Seriously, could be almost anything.

Try with the cable that worked on the other machine, check to make sure the bios / Linux / windows didn't auto configure it in a retarded way, and give some more detail.

Also, I've got AT&T gig service, and while it's fast as hell....it almost never sustains 300Mbps. It'll get peaks of 600 throughout the day, but that's it.

They're fine. Plenty of servers come with realtek and brodcom devices, and there's rarely a reason to switch. If you get to the point where switching from realtek to Intel chipsets for 1Gig copper will improve your performance enough to make it worthwhile, you're at the point where you should be looking at 10G anyway.

There are known realtek NICs that simply wont break 600-700mbps, that's a fact.

Sure they have some that are decent and work at full line rate speeds as well. But realtek are known to have shit NICs too.

Intel however doesn't have this issue.

Pretty much any intel NIC that is called a gigabit NIC is capable of those speeds in practice.

If you're hitting 600mbps with a realtek NIC and 945mbps with an intel NIC in identical situations, that's no reason to upgrade to 10gbps for 10x the cost. Just get an intel NIC and enjoy the gigabit speeds.

Copper gigabit maxes at 125MB/s theoretical.

This wikipedia entry is gold when you need to do back of the envelope stuffs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bit_rates

Anyway, what was your test setup that it seemed.to be handling it so much worse? From my experience, they did just about the same on bulk transfers, but that was all on very short (in cab) runs.

>literally less than a decade (according to scientists) from the singularity
>this retard didn't think he wouldn't have fast internet by 2020