Calculator thread!

Wat calculator you use Sup Forums? You don't use brainlet infix do you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cPKg_JtI-Ys
youtube.com/watch?v=5mO_UyefM3Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

inb4
>muh smart phone app and / or interpreter environment or desktop application in your favorite OS
Calculators have many advantages over these memes, including months or years (or in case of solar, indefinite) life, instant usefulness, distraction-free number crunching, user interface tailored to math, and so on.

Computers are halfway between game machines, TVs, and anal probes these days. Wouldn't you rather sit back and experiment with number crunching on a nice RPL/RPN calculator? After all, it's Turing complete.

>but my high school teacher told me ti is the best
they're literally bribed to do that brainlet, ti is the worst

pic related

>at meeting of engineers to decide how to implement space elevator
>one of them pulls out this
project cancelled

Same exact scenario, except engineer pulls out pic. Project done in 9 months.

casio fx-82

get out before you get murdered you pleb

that's like the most normie calculator that exists

It's simple and it works. Sure, I have a TI-Nspire which can do so much more, but for quick calculations nothing beats the fx-82.

only EMP-proof calculator, and obviously the superior calculating device.

I use this thing.

cx cas

Objective Calculator

Yeah I bought that boring thing too
but so far I don't have many complaints

who here on a budget

my python console just werks for simple calculs, graphs are memes.

Casio fx-82 is my daily driver. fx-300 when shit gets heavy. Sharp EL-501XBWH at work.

normally use a TI-nspire
cas unlocked

I miss AndieGraph

BA II Plus

I've been a NEET for years, so it hasn't gotten much use lately.

who /poor/ here

>Casio makes first graphing calc
>decades later uses same CPU

>tfw grown up with a calculator using the reverse polish notation
my da has a HP-1xC. its still in top shape. love it.

Which calculator user? They still make the 12C and it's still the standard for finance.

But I prefer prefix notation!

me but I lost mine

How do I use a scientific calculator to get through an elementary algebra class. To do stuff like factoring polynomials

no idea which model of the series. but he used it in the university (geology) during the early 80s.
12c is possible.

I wrote a stack machine for my TI and use that.

i use my phone like anyone whos iq isnt room temperature

lmao only autist and poorfags have calculator on 2017

>but he used it in the university (geology) during the early 80s
No way it's a 12c, that thing is for finance. Probably a 15c.

Enjoy your lack of tactile buttons, short battery life, distractions popping up all the time, and hand cancer.

M-x calc

>How do I use a scientific calculator to get through an elementary algebra class. To do stuff like factoring polynomials

Depends on the calculator, but if it's programmable there is likely to be a solution already made by somebody. If it's not programmable you need a new calculator.

Currently the best scientific calculator on the market is the WP-34s, which is just an HP 20b / 30b with fan-made alternative firmware and a couple stickers with new legends.

Casio fx-5800P

considering to pick up this thing for accounting class.

i use the one on my phone lmao im not some loser that buys a separate one

Whats wrong with the titanium?
I got that shit for 40 at a staples that was going out of business

What's the lowdown on TI calculators? Why are they bad?
Not really into calculators. Just all my life my educational institutions always recommended them.

Shitty button feel and no RPN. Also TI are complete niggers about everything and make it difficult to develop on and for the calculator because muh testing compliance.

what is rpn?
also what is a calculator that you would recommend?

TI has the education market on lockdown because they push their calculators through textbook companies which they are heavily invested in. They didn't get to be the standard in school calculators because they made the best solution, it's simply because the math books are made assuming you are a TI user these days.

My nigga. fx-82 is my goto calc. I had one years ago and it went missing and I went out of my way to find the same one again. That thing got me through all of my tests. I noticed mine is a fx-260. I wonder what the difference in the models is.

>what is rpn
youtube.com/watch?v=cPKg_JtI-Ys

>what is a calculator that you would recommend
What are your needs? If this was last year I'd recommend a 50g because you can choose brainlet infix or master race RPN but since they were recently discontinued the prices have shot up to retard levels. NIB examples are currently almost $400. I bought three so I'd be set for life when they were $59 last year.

>demon trips
but that retarded keyboard layout though, plus can you even program the thing? no serial / IR IO?

that's a calculator for babies

Then use pic, it has LISP onboard.

Damn, RPN seems much more intuitive in how I would progress through a problem. I would have loved to have used one back in university. Many times parentheses would fuck me up and cause me to re-do problems over. Never knew RPN existed.
However, despite it seeming more logical there's a comment saying that it does take more button presses than infix. Whether that efficiency is worth the trade off I guess depends on how your brain works.

What do you need to program it for? That is what computers are for. It is just used for arithmetic and trig.

I would guess there might be more button presses for some problems, others might take less. I never found it to be a problem though.

Nice thing is that you can work a problem or experiment with the numbers more easily with the stack, and programming a pure-RPN machine will help you to understand how computers actually work a problem too.

Many of the algorithms currently used in computer science were implemented first on RPN machines and then later adapted for computer users. The guy who invented IEEE floating point is a massive HPfag, and one of the reasons pic related is still the most widely used financial calculator by far even decades after it came to market is because he verified it.

>What do you need to program it for? That is what computers are for.
A calculator is a computer user, why wouldn't you want to program it?

It would be like browsing the web on a cell phone. The device simply wasn't meant for it.

>The device simply wasn't meant for it.
If this is true why have programmable calculators been a thing for over 50 years user?

Sometimes you don't want to nigger around with a bunch of shit compilers, IDEs, dependencies, libraries, etc.

Plus it's the only way to get a 128-bit computer of any kind. Pic related.

>no XY key
dropped

What on earth are you trying to accomplish with your calculator?

Also have you never heard of multimedia registers?

I use math in day to day life, to support my hobbies and work. I have my RPN calculators loaded up with programs I have made to simplify stuff I want to do. Also it's great for playing around with PRNG algorithms for instance, with the built in statistics registers and functions you can implement your algorithm and then check and observe it very easily.

Big ass registers have been around for eons user, a 128-bit register doesn't mean the computer is 128 bit though it can work on 128-bit data.

Lol plebs

In have a TI-83 though. Love it.

>off handedly calls people plebs
>admits to loving his baby tier school calculator

Casio FX-9860G and FX-85EX, which I use depends on what is allowed in the exam or whichever is at hands reach at the time

The Casio fx-83WA S-V.P.A.M.
Best calculator in the word.
Mine is so old the key marking are fading but only needed to change batteries twice.
I would kill for a new one.

>Best calculator in the word.
it's not though
>no io except keyboard and screen
>no programmability

Have you ever try programing even the simplest shit on a calculator? I rather squeeze my ball in a vice. Orders of magnitude more pleasurable.
Fuck if I know where my hp49g+ is but my Casio fx-83WA S-V.P.A.M. is always at arm length from me.

TI-83+ software and hardware modded.
>via ticalc.org
Just for fun and display

TI-30x II S
(eternal battery and just werks)
sits at the desk for quick computations during work/phone/browsing

>Have you ever try programing even the simplest shit on a calculator?
Yeah I do it for fun even.

>Fuck if I know where my hp49g+ is but my Casio fx-83WA S-V.P.A.M. is always at arm length from me.
Your inability to use RPL doesn't mean it's useless. Also only one line in the display, no stack, difficult editing, etc. make the Casio shit tier even compared to '80s era HPs.

*blocks your path*
it even graphs

youtube.com/watch?v=5mO_UyefM3Q

breddy sexi

There is one in the materials department at my uni. It has the printer attached.

And there was a four foot long calculating ruler at the computation center. It was fixed because everyone would slide it.

This is a great calculator though. It's the only one we were allowed to use in university

you can easily do graphs with python, can't you?

>not using ipython for inline matplotlib graphs

This bad boy.

fx-85MS
stay jellymad faglords

At least compared to the 83 or 84, you can easily get a Casio for half the price that'll do all the things you need it to do. I think I got mine for less than that.

only the best.
TI-87

50g has rpn.

HP truly is the best

aesthetic aluminum

I wish I could get a calculator again, I use octave and sagemath a lot, but it's definitely not the same. Are there any calculators with free (libre) firmware?

my iphone. there is no need for an external tool that does less.

>iphone
Transcendental bait

ew are you poor

No I am rich, in freedom

What if you want to control your telescope over the serial port?

Your little kiddie game boy phone can't do that.

i'm free to have a life

Hello my fellow jew.

How does not owning a calculator somehow make you have a life?

You're here shitposting on Sup Forums with the rest of us, stop putting on airs. You're just a millennial shitbag who thinks that life is inside your smartphone, you're not special. You're the default these days and you will die without anybody remembering your name.

arent calculators pretty much just avoid being accused of cheating with your phone?

>bc

Jews don't use TI trash. They use glorious golden HP-12c.

I fucking hate how casio redesigned some of their calculators, they had a perfect 90s aesthetic

The older Casio BASIC machines were great for what they were. On the other hand, Casio's the only company making a ruggedized, backlit, waterproof calculator these days.

Why the colors?

It's because the geniuses making graphing calculators for school noticed that kids prefer to look at flashy color screens and thought "this is the ticket to learning." Of course you can try to make a graphing calculator as fun and colorful as Candy Crush but most kids will prefer the game over the calculator.

HP came out with a colorful but sad new calculator too, the magic got sucked right out of that company by Carly.

I had an H48SX + some extra ram.. it got stolen at Uni.. fuck mongrels
At the time I finally bought some HP48GX through a BBS' contact I had.
After all those years, it's keyboard PCB connector went old, so I must push above B key to power it up.
Nice for daily RPN calculations and back in the days, doing some Saturn ASM experiments.

kids would use their smartphone if they weren't forced to buy a dedicated calculator

To be fair it's a great calculator

Yes, I do have a fetish with dot matrix displays
Git gud

Pic related are mine love them
Hate the top part of the front plate design on the TI it broke the white plastic at the top on both sides