>linux has no gam-
Oh, well, uh, how about that.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_good_is_Wine_at_sandboxing_Windows_apps.3F
debian.org/trademark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

-es

This game is legit good.

This is some /d/-tier shit. Also, what is the Japanese's fascination with neon green backgrounds?

TIS-100, Spacechem, pic related. Some comfy GNU/Linux games for my Sup Forums lads.

TIS is legendary

The legendary-est. And also Slashnet, which is actually free software.

Out of the 125 games in my steam library 68 of them are supported in linux
But I guess Linux doesn't get all the /great/ AAA titles that are coming out today

I am hijacking your thread.
>rollan

I agree with this post. Linux is fine for games if you don't want to play AAA lootbox shooter/racer/cover FPS #1338

The fact that you enjoy all those trashy AAA titles says more about you as a person than it does GNU/Linux as a viable platform.

I should have been more clear in my post but sarcasm is hard to convey through text.
I haven't bought a video game from a major publisher in 7 years
All the devices in my home are running GNU/Linux, I have no issues with it as a viable platform

VH is probably the best fap of my life.

I like that one, salvation, and drop factory

O-oh. Sorry, user, I ruined the joke. I fucked it up again... Well, for the record, the state of GNU/Linux for video games is kind of rough, just because package management is so awful. I actually look forward to the day that snaps are viable on all platforms, because that'll really be the day developers can ship video games to GNU/Linux, even if that means it's easier for people to ship proprietary software. In my opinion, though, the state of the gaming industry just isn't conducive to free software. Half of what makes popular video games appealing nowadays simply wouldn't be interesting if their assets were under creative commons and their license was a free license. Video games in a free world, in my opinion, would be way different, far more hackable and much more of a community thing. The trend towards modding makes me optimistic, though.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get it working on ubuntu, compared to when I last played in with windows 7 half a decade ago.
Plus not even a week ago it got a full english translation from 8/hgg/ for the latest build.

I am unable to understand why people repeatedly make threads like these despite the question being debunked every time. Is it a dire need to shitpost?

>Half of what makes popular video games appealing nowadays simply wouldn't be interesting if their assets were under creative commons and their license was a free license
Could you elaborate on this?

No worries when wine exists.

>games
just buy a ps4

The last time I played a brand new game was armored core on the xbox 360.
I'm satisfied with wine and fmcb on a ps2.

rolling

We want more than bloodborne, user.

A lot of proprietary stuff is appealing because their features are exclusive. If things like assets and engines were shared among the community, there would be a greater emphasis on the ideas that those resources could be used to articulate, rather than the assets themselves. There would be less narrative story telling, and people would make games more like the way the indie scene does, with an emphasis on ideas. Studios would be smaller, because it wouldn't be necessary to duplicate efforts that are already available and managed upstream, and game developers would be less like code monkeys and more like computer scientists, who are less interested in throwing code in the wall until you get the product that your director wanted and more interested in programming itself. Game developers would be less subservient to artists and directors who've never programmed in their life, because the art would be in the games themselves.

At least, that's my Utopian vision of it all.

Please be loli.

there isn't anything in the GPL that says assets have to be open source iirc (but I am not a lawyer)

Wine is a miracle and a gift to Linux, but it is also a crutch for lazy windows devs to not port software unfortunately.

thanks for the (you)'s friends :^)

Hey, I gave you one as well. Just because I didn't specify 'rolling'. Whatever, I'm happy with what I got

>there isn't anything in the GPL that says assets have to be open source iirc (but I am not a lawyer)
How do you mark artistic assets open sourced? Why would art have source code? Just kidding, I know what you mean, but, I mean, wouldn't the GPL and a free artistic license come hand in hand? I feel like the community would look down on something like that, because it's all about free speech and the freedom for developers/artists to work off of each other's work.

I think I understand. If everything was accessible, there would be no need to reinvent any wheels.
Also, I completely agree with your idea of modifications and communities. I enjoy older games that have had their source code released, and have communities that are still active today.

Rollin

rolando

Yeah. I mean, that's the nature of hacking, isn't it? Playful subversion? Hacking adds so much to a game, even if it isn't the programming kind, and it's such a shame when developers make patches to a game to prevent cheesing. Hacking--the flaws and idiosyncrasies of a game--are what make it an artistic work. Hacking can totally change how a game is played, as with Super Smash Bro.'s. The discovery of a new, unintended game mechanic totally changed how that game was played in the competitive world. And that simply isn't feasible with all those AAA games, because their just a bunch of linear tubes.

If all the heavy lifting is already done then the entry bar gets lowered and the quality goes down. Back in the days when you had to licence an expensive engine or create one from scratch it was desirable to have computer science knowledge.
The upside now is anyone can do it. The downside is anyone can do it. The people who make quality ideas will make it work either way. The problem is the audience wants what they want and innovative ideas doesn't appeal to them all the time.

Exactly. I feel a tiny tinge of sadness when I press ` and a console or something similar doesn't drop down. Tinkering with the source and the various tucked away options in a game allow for so many silly and great things to be done. Finding a glitch or exploit and turning it into a mechanic is amazing. Combos in fighting games, physics and math exploits in FPS, the wavedashing you mentioned- all unintended by the developers and discovered, changing the very way the game plays out. Messing around with the code to implement these is truly something.
Imagine if something like DOOM never had its source code released, imagine if it was never ported to multiple operating systems, then it would have died many years ago along with the community.

This game is such a cockblock. The project is still alive but in five years these japs only added two or three new scenes and changed a few textures.

That's pretty elitist. Ubuntu lowered the bar for what it takes to make a distro, but does that mean we're drowning in shit? Well, maybe. Yes, there's Elementary, Mint, all those other horrible Ubuntu respins I won't even mention, but that doesn't mean good projects are gone forever. Or there's not enough proverbial tits to feed everyone. Better projects get more attention, regardless. Look at flash games. A million awful furry redraws, but we still appreciate the good ones.

meh, at least it gave the english translation time to catch up.

>sour grapes

How is that sour grapes?

素晴らし

you are probably correct that the Freedum's community would be upset. but they don't seem to mind things like how Firefox restricts derivative copies from using
the Firefox name and artwork. but lifts that restriction for people not distributing modified binaries. I feel like artistic assets would have to be heavily trademarked
or copyrighted just because a competitor could pretty much steal what a company had put into the game. At the end of the day these companies need to make
money and pay the artists and developers that work on this stuff.

thanks for the (you) :^)

お休みなさい, 皆さん!

>I can't play these games, therefore they aren't worth playing

All he said was "Linux doesn't get the /great/ AAA games". He seemed quite content with the games he plays

Doesn't work because literally anybody can attain triple A games. That's the point. People use linux because they don't want them.
Read some Aesop beforehand dumb nigger.

Just rolling

>you are probably correct that the Freedum's community would be upset. but they don't seem to mind things like how Firefox restricts derivative copies from using
>the Firefox name and artwork. but lifts that restriction for people not distributing modified binaries. I feel like artistic assets would have to be heavily trademarked
I thought that was only true of the first version of MPL.

ROLle

Rolling for great justice

rollaan

I want to point out that the thread is actually about how linux DOES have games. Thanks.

Learn to read, nixtard. His implication is that the games he can actually play on his hobby OS are all he needs since the AAA games aren't playable anyway. Literally dismissing any game that doesn't run under linux as undesirable, i.e. sour grapes. Not that complicated. I figured a bunch of self proclaimed intellectuals could figure /that/ out...

>mental gymnastics
Uh huh, good job.

Yeah? 224/596 isn't bad.

Where does he imply "the games I play on Linux are all I need" because all I hear is "I have 125 games total, 68 can be played on Linux". He didn't say "I only play games on Linux"

Which number is supposed to be?
First of last ones?

Last ones, newfriend

ty onii-chan

no problem, I hope you like your maid-fu

Linux has more and more recent games. I mean you can fucking play Total War Warhammer and Civ 6 for fucks sake

Do any those have rape while battling? i love that thing but few games do it from what I've seen, most h-scenes only appear after being defeated instead of while battling.

rollan

Thank you mods

Yeah, the state of GNU/Linux gaming is improving, for better for worst. Although I suppose the alternative would be kind of like how East Germany started developing their own video games after the Berlin wall was erected.

Salvation doesn't, drop factory does, but you provoke it. If you want battle stuff, look up runes pharmacy and ariadne

But what about every direct 3d and opengl game being emulated on wine

Hey smart guy, thread is about linux having games.

Already tried Rune's Pharmacy but when you lose for the first time the game got stuck so never went further than that, dunno if the game was broken or if i did something wrong. Also i remember Ariadne having annoying as fug h-scenes, continuous h attacks were an X mashing fest.

But that was still a valid statement. A lot of games packaged for GNU/Linux are literally just binaries with a WINE wrapper. Fortunately, in the case of retailers like GOG, that doesn't matter so much, since the games or so light. I mean, their are plenty of games on Windows being emulated on FreeDOS, too. It's kind of crazy how much abstraction involved in porting games cheaply, when you think about it.

Strange, I didn't have the happen in RP. You might like drop factory, depending on your tastes

Oh well I'll try drop factory and download RP again then, thanks user.

I only play frozen bubble.

writing a cross-platform game engine rn. that's all.

I already use godot

since when do rpg maker games run natively in linux?

Using a japanese locale you can install RTP with wine and run the game fine.
It's like 3 commands through terminal.
>create locale
>install with wine using locale
>launch with wine using locale

does it actually matter if a game isn't linux native, but works perfectly in wine?
wine doesn't use any component of windows, and is completely foss
while running a game with wine wouldn't count as a "linux game", i think it counts as a "game that runs in linux"

pic related, 97% through A Hat in Time, while i've only been playing in Linux, and it runs great, i'm even using free gpu drivers

Slashnet?

Why don't you check out what happened to OS/2?

>runs with wine does it count
Absolutely. I only ever play games in WINE or they're FOSS games.
It's great to pirate with wine. No hassle in cleaning up.

You can make a libre Windows program.

>package management is so awful
What, why do you think it is?

>No hassle in cleaning up.
you can also use firejail to isolate things from your filesystem (that is, only allow them to write to folders you specify)
i use this with games in wine as well, to keep a game entirely in a single folder

i'm aware, and understand wine is a double-edged sword for the same reasons as OS/2's windows compatibility
but what can you do? not using wine isn't going to make it go away, and i'd much rather run a program in wine than windows given only those choices

I used to play a fair bit of games in WINE but now so many games are native that I just don't care. I won't buy any game that doesn't support Linux.

Yeah, I think that people overhype the damage WINE does to the free ecosystem. If anything, it's a much more positive thing to have people use proprietary software on a free operating system than vice versa. But it isn't universal. WINE is really only applicable to old games, and the only way to make a real difference is to develop games that take advantage of the platform.

I got a WINE question for you guys since the topic arose.
Using winecfg I always notice that my external hdd is mounted, via USB. I remove it but it seems to always return after I reboot? Can I stop WINE from mounting automatically?

Yes very easily. Don't use WINE.

>WINE is really only applicable to old games
more old games work in wine, but plenty of newer ones work as well, A Hat in Time, which i pictured, was only released 21 days ago

if you want to isolate it, use firejail
Wine is not a sandbox

It's not a security concern it's an autism concern, because the drive letters get all fucked up from all the external drives I have.

Speaking of which, are flatpaks the format of choice for Linux pirates everywhere?

if someone finds this surprising, see;
wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_good_is_Wine_at_sandboxing_Windows_apps.3F

i see, i'm not sure. i guess you could remove write access to your dosdevices folder to stop it from being able to create new symlinks for letters

not sure, i've never personally run into any flatpaks

>I am unable to understand why people repeatedly make threads like these despite the question being debunked every time. Is it a dire need to shitpost?
Mods need to keep a number of bait threads up to fill out the spaces between the shill threads, and we're dumb enough to keep falling for the same bait. It's pretty simple really.

It's not surprising. Wine's not an emulator. It's a compatibility layer.

some people are still confused about how Wine works

>firejail
How would I use firejail with a wine application?

Butthurt MS shill detected.

just as you'd expect;
firejail wine program.exe

To be fair, the firefox case is more about trademark and less about copyright. Many free software projects have similar restrictions.

debian.org/trademark

I've never heard of firejail before. Is it easy to setup? Can I just install it and start using it the way you just described?