gist.github.com/diegopacheco/a574f72c9a294828ec4faf9233143d05

github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

Other urls found in this thread:

jstn.cc/post/8692501831
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why the fuck

It's comfy as fuck.

>Why aren't you using COOL-RETRO TERM?

it puts unnecessary strain on both my eyes and my computer, reducing my productivity.

This. looks like it's got a weird 3d effect going on, along with some old terminal aesthetics. These likely make the terminal slower than regular ones.

I played with it for 10 minutes a couple years ago. Pretty but useless.

It actually looks nice with lights turned off. I don't feel the strain.

>500MB of qt dependencies
I'm not making this up either, I previously installed this shit and it wouldn't run after I uninstalled all the qt bloat that wasn't runtimes or qmake.

cause qt bloat

>These likely make the terminal slower than regular ones.
Turn some effects off.
Also what is this? 1997? Are using a potato with pentium 3?

>X131e
we are chinkpad brothers, you and i

no i have a quad core but i want each of them dedicated to actual computing tasks.

i don't use a compositor neither, for instance.

is QT bloat? i thought it was just KDE..

As you can see I have 16 gb of ram so I don't give a fuck. The cpu usage is normal. Crying about muh 1% is retarded.

>Turn some effects off.
What the fuck is the point, then? At that point, why not just use a regular fuckin terminal? Also, if the user 2 post above yours is correct, I don't want this shit anywhere near my computers.
>Are you using a potato?
Not currently, although I'm thinking of falling for the Libreboot meme at some point

>Not currently, although I'm thinking of falling for the Libreboot meme at some point
You won't escape the botnet anyway.

> Are using a potato with pentium 3?
Remember that you are talking to linux users.

>not using COOL PHYSICAL RETRO TERMINAL

>You won't escape the botnet anyway.
I want to get off Mr. Bones' Wild Botnet.

wtf, is this real? how does it even work?
or is it just a monitor?

I have a crt tv that I can connect to raspberry pi but real crts actually give you eye cancer.

emulating an old blurry terminal on cutting edge hardware is retarded

It's a teletype, you send ascii bytes to it and it draws the characters on screen, this is what a terminal emulator is emulating.

Before microcomputers, you'd have one of these at your desk hooked up to a timesharing unix server, your desk machine was just a dumb terminal, everything was being done server side and you were seeing the results.
Imagine doing everything over ssh, if you will.

Did old terminal setups really have several seconds of burnin/out?

Not sure about glass tty terminals, but old school vector displays did indeed use a high persistence phosphor to make points drawn on them appear for longer. This was before framebuffers or modern CRTCs when everything was done under CPU control, so having that saved program cycles.

Even then several seconds would have been an exaggeration. Displays like that fade in a few hundred milliseconds - there's a very faint after image that lasts for a couple seconds (I'm guessing the fall off in brightness is exponential) but you can only see it if you're looking for it.

>These likely make the terminal slower than regular ones.
If your computer can't run well this terminal emulator that means that your comuter can get these graphics out of the box.

this is an app for bugmen

>green on black
>muh edgy retroshit
I'd rather use a 4:3 laptop instead user. no thanks

It didn't flicker like a real CRT is supposed to.

Bad user experience.

>not a real CRT
Well, I'll still have shitty viewing angles and a low refresh rate on my LCD panel monitors so that would be the terminal equivalent of a fedora. No thanks.

I really want one of these even though I know it's useless.

>real crts actually give you eye cancer
I won't even deny that. But the tiny one is so cute.

>Imagine doing everything over ssh
Absolutely disgusting. Makes me glad I was born in the early 90s.

>Absolutely disgusting. Makes me glad I was born in the early 90s.

What is screen?
Don't tell me you manage your server via GUI.

>Don't tell me you manage your server via GUI.
I don't. My home server runs OpenBSD without any GUI. But it's acting as NAS that I can send my backups to, not as my main desktop machine. The thought of doing spreadsheets or even word processing in the terminal makes me physically ill.

> Before microcomputers, you'd have one of these at your desk hooked up to a timesharing unix server, your desk machine was just a dumb terminal, everything was being done server side and you were seeing the results.

what is the cloud aka botnet ?

>I really want one of these even though I know it's useless.
Why? I like having an hardware terminal for my server.

>real crts actually give you eye cancer.
You do realize, CRTs, even when they were common, where one of the least sources of radiation in a average home?

this is probably newfag as fuck to ask, but how would i go about viewing Sup Forums in this format on a terminal?

>muh productivity
We all know you're just staring at memefetches and doing programming challenges to get Sup Forums cred

i don't larp

Elinks

w3m > elinks

Links2

links2 -g
works with images in framwbuffer without xserver.

I already use a CRT, I don't have to "emulate" one.

looks like a meme for ricer babbys. I'll pass.

If I want the retro terminal aesthetic that much, I’ll just dig up an actual serial terminal.

Most monochrome screens do, they use a long lasting phosphor.
You can still read the screen several seconds after it has updated, I.e. from a document to a blank black screen.

>why aren't you using the terminal for people that don't use a terminal
because I use a terminal

#
Absolutely disgusting. Makes me glad I was born in the early 90s.

Now imagine that your terminal is connected to the server by a 1200bps modem, if you're lucky.

you never used an amber-screen VT220 to try to get a vax to let you log in, so your "comfy" is a self-deceptive illusion.

Unless it can recreate static & the smell of ozone from the glass, I'm not interested.

this picture, and the article it was posted on, the dude that did this.....he's the sole fucking reason i can't find a VT220 for sale anymore that isn't a thousand fucking dollars. fucking hipsters latched onto it and made prices skyrocket.

here's post jstn.cc/post/8692501831

Hey user I like Brian Lunduke too!

Because I bought Cathode.

Get out of here with this ugly shit.

cathode is awesome. i just wish it wasn't exclusive to mac. i've got a macbook, but i wish i could use it on my linux desktop as well. cool-retro-term is fucking trash compared to cathode, but it's all i've got for my non-mac computers.

Holy shit I haven't heard that name in years and just got triggered.
>ITTTSSS THE LINNNNUX ACTTTIOOOKON SHHHHHOWWWWWEE

bump