A bit of an update

A bit of an update.

A while back I posted about my plan to get my internet fixed by buying in bulk a shit ton of cheap single board chinese computers (orange pi and passing them out to members of my community. I installed Linux on the boards and had them do hourly speed tests. I gathered the data up in a spreadsheet which I have right here

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_YXAk-uzApQ1FpbUxpcnZnMlU/view?usp=sharing

And sent it to the FCC.

I got a response back a couple weeks ago, that Frontier was actually fixing the internet for my town (3 meg max, but the area was over sold, so it was like 1).

turns out they weren't faking. They actually did it. Frontier actually did something.

I just regret having to get the government involved. But Frontier did jack shit, sent technicians out wasting their time, the company blamed me for my speeds (because I didn't use windows, etc)

I fixed my internet issues....it's only 6 megs down, but fuck. It's a start.

>get my internet fixed by buying in bulk a shit ton of cheap single board chinese computers (orange pi and passing them out to members of my community.
how was this supposed to fix your internet?

Get a shit ton of people to do automatic speed tests to eliminate the possibility that the issue is with my connection.

why couldn't they use their own devices and more importantly why didn't you move to a new location?

because that makes a lot of sense to move to another town just for internet.

not sure if you are being sarcastic with this comment. and you didn't answer the other question. why did the plan have to involve the pis in the first place

Do Americans really move to get better internet connections?

are you in norcal

You tell someone to do something, they won't care enough to do it. I dunno how many actually did use the Orange Pi Zeros. But hell, the methodology may have been flawed, but the outcome was good.

Southern Mi

Why didn't they use their own devices? If it's the issue of Linux as the company suspected, you could have just lend them livecd s to do their speed tests.

Dude you are a fucking retard. If you don't even know they used the devices you bought, you could have just written a script and cron that shit to do speedtests. God you are a dumb fuck wasting all those orange pies

well congrats OP. I spend the majority of my time in front of a computer and I think I would go mad if I consistently had shit internet. what are the plans to get it to 100 megs?

Absolutely not, that's a ridiculous suggestion

Especially since whereever you move likely has monopoly issues ANYWAY

Because then they could complain about differences in hardware.

With this test, he elimated every variable but the connection.

The issue was their equipment was jankey, combined with overselling the area. I wanted to eliminate the possibility of them saying "It's just his machine, if he'd upgrade to windows 10, things would be fine." My step step dad runs windows 10, and it's the same with him. Shit speeds.

I got data from more than one source, so I know a few people used them. I know the local library was on board and they helped pass them out.

Dude waaaaaat. Now they could just say oh it was the device's fault that thing with the orange. That's no excuse.

Huh, where at? I'm over in Oakland County

Hillsdale

Well, in talking to the tech before I did my scheme, he said the soonest they'd be rolling out 6 meg in my area was 2025, so I bet 100 meg was farther out still. Now they rolled out 6 meg.

>It's just his machine
But this is what you have done. You have bought the same machine for a lot of folks and you tested it that way. They can say that it's the pi's fault

Darn, I wanted to do a Sup Forums meetup but you're two hours from me :(

This is true. But it didn't turn out that way.

You don't want to hang out with me. I am a boring guy.

A lot of people say that, but you have to have some hobbies or redeeming qualities. What do you do for fun? You found Sup Forums and Sup Forums so obviously you do some stuff that's fun.

Well, right now I am shitposting on Sup Forums, updating my HTPC's OS, and studying for my A+ certification test.

That's pretty cool, any reason for getting the A+ cert? And what are you using the HTPC for, what do you run on it?

So maybe I can find a better job than running presses. I can't be a machinist anymore because of my back. Not a lot of fabrication work out there either.

I run Debian underneath kodi which auto-starts a PLEX plugin because the plex team doesn't give a damn about the HT software for Linux, just the server software.

>because I didn't use windows
How the fuck does that make any sense?

I'm near Detroit, about 20 minutes by car. We should have a Sup Forums meetup. I can bring my Librebooted ThinkPad running Fedora (*tips*) and some fresh baked cookies that I totally didn't cum in the batter of.

They had a list of excuses why it was my fault the internet was slow. Because I didn't run windows, because I had a gigabit router which they said was slower than their 10/100 router, because I had Windows 10's spying shit turned off. Because I am not subscribed to their Dish network package as well.

The operating system has nothing to do with how well your internet works. I can spin up a Win2K VM right now and shitpost here with K-Melon or something. I would be so pissed if they tried to tell me that it was a software issue when it's all hardware. I hope the glow in the dark nigger monkeys that run the ISPs burn in hell.

>itt another frontier advertisement in disguise
you that faggot that thinks others believe when you say you bought some orange pi 0s at $0.20 a piece? why is frontier still paying you to continue this obvious charade?

Wtf.
Absolutely haram, m8