So uhhhh

So uhhhh

Ubuntu 16.04 is better than 17.10 in every single way.

Gnome is a disaster and feels like shit to use, totally NOT unified (see what i did)

Unity feels so fucking comfy, polished, and a complete desktop enviorment.

Why did they have to fuck up so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just use xubuntu or kubuntu like all the kool kids

it actually is worse than Unity though. unity is so polished...its actually comparable to OSX in terms of polish...

Unity is fucking garbage.
Gnome3 is fucking garbage.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Hahaha

>17.10
>beta testing for 18.04 LTS
bleeding edge-lets will never learn

I've been using Xubuntu LTS for 3 years and it's great. No problems with the OS.
With firefox and other garbage? Sure, problems, but with xubuntu, it's solid.

*blocks your path*

I'm thinking about switching to xubuntu
Should I install 17.10 or 16.04?

Comparing Firefox to xububtu... Typical *buntu user right here.

I remember when Unity came out that everybody was cryin' and bitchin' about how bad it was. Now everybody seems to miss it. What does that tell you?

sudo mv /tmp

this

I switched to 17.10. I'd say it's the slickest one yet, I really like it.
Sup Forums has autism, autistic people don't adapt to change well.

saging because I wanted to add this
hopefully not developing a window manager that nobody else uses or contributes to will mean that they have more time to work on other stuff.

Back in the gnome days, ubuntu offered different desktops, gnome was just the default.
They since then distanced themselves from the other ubuntus as it confused some people.
The outcry over unity lead to mate which is a decent desktop today.
If mate was the default, people would bitch about it too.
People do not like the defaults people force on them.
And people do not like change, no system does.

Just use KDE Neon if you want something that Just Werks™

17.10 is not bad at all.

16.04 is a very mediocre release. There is no reason to still have it installed because you can run Unity on 17.10
Most people just don't like to learn new workflows that are different from Win98.
BTW, MATE is shit for many reasons, so I can see people bitch about it.

>16.04 is better than 17.10 in every single way.

Yes. This is even true for stuff like Xubuntu.
Had a fresh install of 17.04 Xubuntu and it was crashes and segfaults all the time. It's probably even worse with 17.10.

Reinstalled 16.04 and have my cozy it just werx machine back.

>Not installing KDE on your Ubuntu

That unity was released long before it was ready for usage and then when it finally reached acceptable usability level it was cancelled because of Shuttlecuck's butthurt.

Typical example for freeturd unprofessionalism.

I think anyone other distro better than any ubumtu.

Don't try to think that much. You suck at it anyway.

They fucked up when they decided to continuing supporting Gnome and GTK instead of moving to KDE. Gnome devs are literally on suicidewatch and don't care about their shitty DE anymore.

KDE with plasma is the only dev team that has been making ambitious steps in terms of user functionality while trying to create a DE that doesn't feel like some shit from 2008. Literally everything about plasma at this point in its maturity "just werks" out of the box. It's fast, it's feature-rich, and it's actually stable now. Not supporting the future of linux was a mistake.

>moving to KDE.

Just stop it. KDE is a usabilty nightmare.

How so?

It's true that KDE looks very good ootb, but it's Linux we're talking about: every DE can be easily turned into a functional, comfortable, good-looking environment with not too much effort. You can make XFCE, Budgie, LXDE look exactly like KDE and they're still lighter and less buggy than KDE anyways.

Tough shit.
Reminder that GNOME is the Linux standard desktop.

You know you can install a different desktop environment, right? Nobody is forcing you to use an outdated version of Ubuntu just to have Unity.

>GNOME is the Linux standard desktop.

good joke, 2/10

>standard on all important distros
>most DEs use GTK, which is controlled by GNOME
>once Wayland is standard all your insignificant little DEs and WMs will die out anyway

>Most people just don't like to learn tablet workflows in their desktop cuz are different from Win98.
Unity was A LOT different from Win98 retard.
>BTW, MATE is shit for many reasons, so I can see people bitch about it.
Agreed

top kek

bruh sorry but the best ubuntu is lubuntu or xubuntu

>>once Wayland is standard
will never happen as only gnome (or weston) works with it

interesting
was video playback shit too?

Why do you change your loli pape?

Stop praising Unity, the only things good on it was the global menu

And yes Gnome 3 is worse but it's not a news every one spit on it since it's came out.

Just use KDE (on KDE Neon only, other distro don't care about KDE anymore, exept openSUSE but it's an old trash, you can try Tumbleweed tho, but it's rolling release and you'll need to handle the fear of not being able to use your computer today if something breaks and spend the day googling, but if you're a linux supersayan sysadmin you can still try tho) or XFCE/LXDE if you like pretending being in 2001.

QT has a better futur than GTK

Friendly reminder that this is what Ubuntu could have become instead of the featureless, soulless, hostile GNOME.

youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls

>Glorious Qt
>Finally free from GNOME cancerous toolkit
>God tier Unity workflow

Linux desktop is dead and you can thank your friends at Red Hat for this, also the GNU zealots who bashed Ubuntu all these years, and finally, of course, Sup Forums hipsters who would always trash the best Linux DE for people who just want to get things done like Donald Knuth or that Google engineer who both used stock Unity.

The same thing happens to my 17.04 Xubuntu

gets around 30 days of uptime before crash, been too lazy to switch back to 16

that different people have different taste

Unity was hated by pretty much everybody. It's workflow is awful. One good feature with integrated menu in titlebar is not enough to make it tolerable. But looks like now when Unity is getting shot - hipsters are starting to love this piece of botnet.

I only hate the bugs. The design is great.

Daily reminder that Ubuntu + Unity was the best choice for new Linux users and people in general for many years.

Friendly reminder that Donal Knuth uses Ubuntu with Unity

Weekly reminder that future versions of Ubuntu + GNOME will now expose your private files in Google Drive without any encryption, but of course no one says anything because they are Red Hat employees and not Mark Shuttleworth.

Pic related: Google's most valuable engineer doing his work on Ubuntu Unity.

>Pic related: Google's most valuable engineer doing his work on Ubuntu Unity.
He probably don't waste time trying other DE user

Try KDE or any Qt complainant DE. Everyone is jumping out of GTK and GTK4 is going to make everyone else miserable.

wait, Unity is going to embrace Qt? Looks like it will be my new DE when got stable.

>there used to be only one Qt based DE
>Gnome 3 rolls around
>now there's two with a third one coming
Gnome might not be that bad for the Linux desktop after all.

Budgie
LXQT
Unity
KDE

I had hope for Xfce, there were rumors that they wanted to migrate to Qt but then the official announcement was they are going to go full GTK3 without condom.

Well I didn't count Unity as it's kinda dead right now. I also found some project on Github called TheShell though.

All other distros are better than any Ubuntu. Windows XP is better than Ubuntu.

KDE is a bloated mess.

Resource hog.

It's less bloated than Gnome.

For standard dickheads.

Why would anyone use Ubuntu when they can use Debian?

So uhhhh

Xubuntu 16.04 is better than both Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10 in every single way.

Both Unity and Gnome are a disaster and feel like shit to use, totally NOT ubuntufied (see what i did)

XFCE feels so fucking comfy, polished, and a complete desktop enviorment.

GNOME 3 is fine, it's just that it looks like shit with the custom Ubuntu themeing they're trying to do. It doesn't work.

Yeah that would have been a lot better.

Unity 8 actually looked pretty sweet.

gnome isn't bad, canonical is just retarded for trying to shoehorn in the unity design into gnome

>Ubuntu + Unity was the best choice for new Linux users and people in general for many years
Xfce/KDE are better for newbies to linux since they look closer to the Windows setup.

Unity 8 is ded. I am showing you what it would had been.

This^
Fuck you all faggots red hat shills

What did Red Hat do?

Killed ubuntu

400 MB cold boot on my machine.

>BTW I use Arch

Unity 8 really looks gud

How about bugs?

>archfag thinks 400MB is good

For Default KDE it is. Disabling some stuff you can get it below 300mb though.

Its literally a desktop environment. Change it if you don't like it faggot

>install openSuse over my ubuntu 16.04
>try kde
>fine but somehow I still miss unity
so mad that caonnical killed it off.

oh yeah, pretty minimalist and Qt based. Let's hope it get ported to Ubuntu.

You can still install Unity on Ubuntu

I can get 18.04 and then install unity7?

You can on 17.04 and 17.10. 18.04 does not exist yet.

40mb after boot on my debian/openbox machine

Your reading comprehension isn't the best, is it?

>don't understand that having more ram used means faster system
>make his system slower to save 300mb of ram in 2k17

Ubuntu sucks but gnome 3 is good

Use antergos

Just use i3wm + polybar like a real man

>not using xfce with i3 like a cool guy

>doesn't understand the CPU still has to flick through the address space to read all of that RAM when it could be staying within 40mb and loading a higher percentage of relevant memory into CPU cache

Don't care, I use Cinnamon anyway.

Because unity was meant for smartphones, and Shuttlefuck decided to scrap Ubuntu smartphones altogether, which means unity dies too. They'd rather pay someone to spend a couple hours writing configs and issuing gsettings commands to make gnome work the way they want than continue to pay developers to work on an interface for a platform they no longer support that they shoe horned into desktop Ubuntu to generate hype. Just like Microsoft did with metro, to try to sell more Windows phones.

Besides, you obviously didn't use unity when it was brand new. It was a thousand times worse and took 4-5 Ubuntu releases to stop being total shit. (Well, 4-5 releases *after* it was transitioned away from the original gnome 2.x/gtk2 abortion build that was the first unity release)

>It was a thousand times worse and took 4-5 Ubuntu releases to stop being total shit
Meanwhile Gnome 3 is still total shit.

>not using i3 with mate

>uhhhh
>reddit spacing
HOLY FUCK GET OFF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Because unity was meant for smartphones

You are a fucking idiot

Move /tmp where?

>30 days of uptime
Do you even restart?

>not using i3 with Pantheon

>install ubuntu
>amazon app
>amazon search results
>amazon reporting everything you type

Why does anyone use Amazonbuntu?

Seriously you can just use Debian. It's the same thing but without the BS.