Remember when phones were a pieces of contemporary art

remember when phones were a pieces of contemporary art

The only thing I miss about the pre-smartphone era is the incredible variety of phone designs.
There's only so much you can change about the design of a phone when it's main feature is a large, rectangular touch screen.

they were also more compact and reliable than nowadays bricks. Nowadays phones are better and we couldn't live without them, but seriously, they should focus on making them more compact and improving battery life and reliability.

The only thing I miss about the pre-smartphone era is the incredible variety of inflexible and frustrating methods of interaction.
There's only so much you can change about an arrangement of buttons before they become a limiting factor of a device's capabilities.

yes because we can just power them with magic

dude you either make very heavy brick with 4x battery or make it compact with one,until you find some method to make better battery for acceptable price you ain't gonna have both.

There is ofcourse one method that involves no wi-fi,high res screen,bluetooth or apps that will let you only call and sms but you might as well buy some old nokia for that.

circle touchscreens when

we got like 500kinds of circle touch screen watches already.

big ones though

>pre-smartphone era
What?

>old nokia
I think you mean new nokia

To have 50inch round display attached to your hand is not very comfy,if you want to feel like big boy then buy truck or something.

I can not quite imagine why would you want one for pocket use ,watch movies in circle format,get circle wallpaper

It is gonna be good only for 2 things
1.summoning satan with pentagram wallpaper
2. measuring angles with angle measuring app

I saw this in an old BMW or Merc today and thought someone here might like it and this thread is a good excuse to post so here

it was very cool, toppest of tops

I grew up during the pre smartphone Era. Those phones sucked huge dick.

this. I have carpal tunnel from texting on those faggy old keypads.

I had one of these back in the day, turned out mine had the fucked camera focus problem. I didn't know it until I came back from holiday and found all my pics that looked fine on the small screen, were actually out of focus and blurry to fuck when viewed normally.

FYI smart-phone is not defined by having a
touch screen but rather is capable of multi-tasking. So smartphones predates even colored LCD's thanks to IBM and Blackberry.

As Ive mentioned smart-phones even predates colored LCD's. Because its defined not by touch screen but by multi tasking. That NOKIA in OP is a smartphone running early version of Symbian OS

Compared to modern phones, yes. But I loved my Ngage so much

i actually have one of these and its a useless piece of shit now. battery sucks and whatsapp is no longer supported. nothing else works either, so its nothing but a mp4 player with a nice camera and phone

That was my first cell phone. It had snake on it, so all the other kids annoyed me, because they wanted to play it.

and like menstrual blood on shit mixed with aids semen jewish/nigger contemporary art, they were horrible

the only thing I miss about old phones is that they had removable batteries. now you have to perform open heart surgery just to replace the battery.

Sony Ericsson made some beautiful little bricks

A generation above me, but mum had one, and snake was fucking cash

Smartphones weren't the dominant mobile device though. 'X era' means either after the invention of something or when something has become immensely popular.

The pre-iPhone era, then.

>pre-smartphone era

to me all symbian phones were smart. i used a n-game for almost 8 years. till 2012 i guess. the phone had plenty of games music. pdf doc reader. internet worked nice up to that moment. the only thing i wanted was a camera but not that much im not a normie that love selfies

there were a lot of good apps for symbian phones. my n-gage still works. i tried it again some months ago. web pages working like shit was the only problem. opera.mini stoped working and that squirrel browser is not up to todays internet. still a good phone.

i miss phones like nokia 3300

Oh the memories. Had that brick for a bit. however most n-gage games I had were in my n70. Loved that phone. The app selection was very nice. It was drop resistant and had nice controls (unlike n73 with that retarded joystick)

who /fa/ here?

Best phone I've ever had: Nokia 3510i
Worst phone I've ever had: Nokia C3-01

those buttons were horrible

if you mean the buttons on the C3 then i wholeheartedly agree

they made others?

Pretty sure "C3" was the only one in Scandinavia at least

the post mentioned both 3510i and C3-01, stop being retarded

>likes the worst Nokia ever created

yeah, im the retard. don't give me that shit about better buttons, they both look atrocious

Why would they be so excited to play a game that was already 20 years out of date, when gameboy advance existed at that time?

You got off easy if c3 01 was worst... motorola v100 as well as most old siemens mobiles were trash.

>There's only so much you can change about the design of a phone when it's main feature is a large, rectangular touch screen.
Yet, Apple is the most boring one of them all.

They still are

i've always heard about crazy phones in japan before the iphone. Got any examples of those?

Best phone: 2017 release of the Nokia 3310
31 days battery life. Try to beat that.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I love gimmicky stuff like and really miss how everyone had different phones of all varieties. I have a LG AKA, but it still can't beat the fun designs and gimmicks of the older phones.

I had one of those but I can't remember why.

C3-01 was a dying breed dumbfone trying to be all that it couldn't. everything from the buttons, to the OS to the ""!"*"touchscreen""""((" was broken, slow as fuck or just plain stupid

>motorola v100
i have a vague memory of its existence, i can't imagine it being good at anything... but god damn, just look at it

there is no reason they cannot be like that again

meanwhile they released slimmer more feature rich phones in fucking 2008

It was really bad. Battery life is like on iphone.(bad) and you cant even call without earphones. Also it used 2.5mm jack instead of 3.5mm so good luck finding those too.

I don' think those work in my country

was i the only person who owned pic related?

Ahaha another technological marvel of symbian golden era. with one of the most retarded keyboad design ever. Seen people payed top dollar for such things at my school. I guess fancy doesnt mean practical

I only want it for the long batterylife. There is none that lasts longer. I really am a lazy guy.
possible, because this only supports 2g. Works fine in germany, but for example not in switzerland.

well yeah it was pain to type on it, but it showd how companies were not afraid to experiment with design, not that shit that we have today - millions of models that look the same

>destroying MB/CPU
For what purpose?

Did you ever accidentally dial 911?

yes, the w300 and the W850 looked very nice, wish sony still had "walkman edition" phones

Either corporate idiots that think there precious secrets are saved on a motherboard or they are actually destroying PCs because they don't want people salvaging them and using them again

I had one. It was so cool and so crappy at the same time.

Remember? Yes, like it was 2 minutes ago.

I just want Motorola Razr back, best phone design ever conceived gone forever, I don't mind if it's a dumb phone.

I have a htc diamond touch in working condition. It amazes me how shitty it is to control it compared to todays standards.

the media buttons were great for gba emulator

>go through all the trouble and work of physically destroying motherboards with a circular saw

why? why in gods name do this? how does this help anything?? what a waste of time and energy. WHY???

Because it was on a phone

He wasn't talking about a watch you fucking mongoloid

Only had glossy phones before the smartphone era, look like plastic toys.

In the old days when somebody pulled one of these out you just knew they were in serious business.

The red LED display was hypnotic.

I tried using a feature phone as my daily driver this year. Then I realized iMessage and Snapchat are the only thing people use to communicate so I bought 2 iPhones. I listen to music on my 7 and talk on my 6s.

Lol these ngage shits were the worst possible attempt at something new ever
Absolute garbage EVEN AT THE TIME

I really miss those.
Better keyboard than a blackberry.

slick as fuck

Some places have retarded laws about throwing away functional equipment and etc.
They require you to search for a place to donate it.
So it's easier to just destroy your old industrial equipment.

had that one for 5-6 years, never failed to amaze

I loved how phones had the panel that you slid out, and when you did, the camera app opened automatically
Pic related is my last pre iphone smartphone, had a sliding out camera too

I had one of these, until I smashed it while closing a car door by accident. To this day I miss the cool action of pulling down on the case and the clamshell opening. It just felt so slick and cool.

holy shit this thread... it's actually made me sad.

had it. loved it. Camera was great. It had a fucking FLASH! Not led. FLASH!

Comfy/10 I miss that phone so much.
Mostly I miss all the lewd MMS that girls were sending back then

I love how small plastic moving parts are prone to breaking, and that the cover didn't even succeed at keeping dust/lint out of the camera lens

>side talking

>ywn

The whole point of a touchscreen based smartphone is that the design can be updated and changed at any time. Of course not the hardware aspects of it, but it does allow for new (virtual) designs.

the kayboard is the only thing that makes that phone interesting though. without that keyboard its just another generic smartphone

this was the dumbest thing, but man does it looks cool.

My old LG GM205 even got dobly mobile and 2.1 speakers and didn't need the headphones to play radio

This is the most stupid thing to be nostalgic about, I mean they had less screen real estate and more elements you just don't need. Why shouldn't the thing you use take up most of the space?

I do think that the simplicity of many smartphones trumps that shitty bloated aesthetic too.

That was the high point of the craze to make phones smaller and smaller. I remember my dad stubbornly holding on to his Nokia 6310 because he disliked the trend of tiny phones.

posted it here my mom used to own that one, it was pain to use

i wanted one of those so bad. guess im glad i didnt pay 400+ for one

So you're saying if the interesting feature that was added to set the phone apart from others was removed, it wouldn't stand out?

Well, gee. Thanks for killing some of my brain cells faggot :)

none of you faggots remember, because the vast majority of you are kids compared to me.

i had one of these. it had a proper screen on one side with an arrow pad. Played tetris and browsed the internet on that side. the other side had a smaller screen with the num keys for phonecalls and text messages. it was small and had great battery life. i broke it and couldnt find another one.

how the fuck do you work that thing?

Morse code. Many perished trying to dial 911.

All of Nokia's brick phones had 30 day batter life and none of the other ones promised to be a re-release of a classic phone while failing to resemble it in any way.

Something like this with modern hardware could be great. At that size, typing on the keyboard with two thumbs should be a breeze and you could fit a pretty big screen without those huge bezels

Quake 3 on that was GOAT

yeah

wasn't that long ago

holy shit looks sick af

When will the current era of mobile phones end and the new one begin? I mean like these are last gen so to speak in this thread, what will it be like and when will the next gen come

I think we're entering a new one unfortunately.
>curved and slim bezels.
>no microphone jack
>strange resolutions because of rounded screens