What's the oldest computer you still use regularly (meaning not collecting dust in a box)...

what's the oldest computer you still use regularly (meaning not collecting dust in a box)? how does it compare to your main computer? I have one of these for comfy browsing. Main comp is a laptop with ubuntu

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hnUl_im3Vzw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

- Amiga 500 - 7 MHz, 1 MB RAM
- Core i7 4790k - 4Ghz, 32 Gb RAM

I have one of those, but I only use it here and there. Might put it in my workshop.

Oldest I use is the Sega SC-3000, but that is solely for games.
I also use an Amiga 2000 somewhat regularly, but it isn't currently plugged in.

iBook G4 - Oldest
Newest iMac Core 2 Duo - Newest

I use a computer from 2007, 2gb ram, win7. It's my main computer.

old ass hp ProBook from 2008 I think. I run Lubuntu on it

x220 running ubuntu
its probably the fastest laptop ive had cause the last expensive one i nought was before 2011

A 2001 Pentium 4 Dell tower, only thing changed is the graphics card as the old one burned out. Really only use it for a quick and dirty media server these days, but surprised at how well it still holds up.

A 32bit pentium D (forgot the exact model) with 2gb of ddr2 I have left over from when I was still running xp.

It has a few SATA I ports so I use it mainly as a dev box to test things before blindly implementing them in my home lab.

Issue is most Linux distros are dropping x86 support so I might have to replace it soon...

Also I recently got a free eMac g5 it's the highest model in the range. I loaded Debian on it but I was mostly fucking around trying to brick/defile it because I hated having to use these shit heaps in hs. It actually runs Debian pretty good though so I might keep it around.

I'm sure you'd be able to run Puppy on that bad boy till kingdom come

Dell Precision T3400 from 2007
Q6700 @ 3.0 GHz
GTX 560 1GB
1x 500GB HDD
1x 120GB HDD
1x 80GB HDD
1x 320GB HDD

Does puppy support powerpc?
I pretty much used Debian because I already knew it had a powerpc installer.

I've been thinking of fucking around with installing gentoo after using arch for a while. Maybe I'll do it on the eMac so I don't have to risk it in a dual boot on something I actually care about.

I'm not entirely sure but it would be worth a try. It's designed to run on shoeboxes

2010 core 2 duo macbook
2009 i5 / 45nm cpu

To be honest they are both my main computer because they still work perfectly fine and I see no reason to upgrade

- IBM PC / AT intel 80286 - 8Mhz, 16MiB RAM
- AMD FX 8350 - 4ghz , 8GiB RAM

2009 Macbook Unibody
The rubber back got fucked so i took it out. Bought new battery, upgraded to 8GB RAM.
Smooth af on Yosemite.
paid $180 for it. Thinkmeems stay mad

My oldest computer is my main computer. It's from 2008.

thinkpad G40 from 2003
its my normal shitposting machine

2.8ghz northwood pentium 4, 1gb of ram, intel exteme graphics, 4200rpm 40gb HDD, 15" 1024x768 screen and it all runs windows xp nice and comfy

>180$ for a core2duo machine
you can pick up a T410 for cheaper
hell, a T420 even

The the g50 chink modded Mobo in it.

Don't hate the hardware, hate the software. If it's running Debian well (as I imagine it would, because Apple HARDWARE is usually pretty good stuff) treat it well. If you get tired of looking at the Apple logo, you could always cover it over with a sticker.

Fucking hate the operating system though.

theres a g40 mod?

Hey Dan

Lenovo G505

>what's the oldest computer
Sun Enterprise 250 from 1998. Runs my homeserver stuff 24/7.
>how does it compare to your main computer?
My main computer is a Latitude E4300, so it's like comparing apples to oranges

My 550 MHz powerbook g4 gets at used at least once a week. I used to daily a dual 450 MHZ G4 tower but i stopped doing that in 2012. My main now is a T420 with an SSD and xubuntu so they seem even slower in comparison unless im on OS9.

Bump.

Bump.

I have a ThinkPad R60 from 2006 that I use with Windows 7 Ultimate for a couple of games. It runs really well because it was a super high end laptop at the time it came out (originally had Windows XP). It has a dGPU with like 1GB of vRAM and I think 128MB of vRAM in the Intel iGPU and 3GB of system RAM with a 1.6GHz dual core CPU, so it's not actually that terrible for its age and you can buy cheap laptops right now with far worse specs. I'm considering installing Windows 10 LTSB on it if I can find a good 32-bit image and if Windows 10 actually has all the drivers I need for it. I also want to upgrade the CPU to a 64-bit Core2 so that I can use a little extra RAM (I have 4GB installed but the OS only lets me use 3GB of it).

I also have a 2008 ThinkPad T400 that has a 2.2GHz Core2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. The Intel iGPU is 256MB which is just enough for day to day tasks. I flashed Libreboot on it and it's running Fedora 26 with XFCE. I use this as my main machine.

>most Linux distros are dropping x86 support
Maybe retarded distros like Ubuntu but other distros will keep supporting it. If they support obscure shit like MIPS they'll keep supporting IA-32. If not the communities will continue where the main devs left off. Or you could use OpenBSD with supports lots of obscure hardware fairly well.

>I recently got a free eMac g5
>I was mostly fucking around trying to brick/defile it
Why? Older Apple hardware is decent. You should try to install MorphOS on it.

Nice. Old ThinkPads are comfy.

That's a sexy case. Show guts please!

I have only 3 computers
Powermac G5 with 1GB of RAM 2Ghz dual core G5’s on leopard (paid $80 and it came with an Apple studio display and keyboard and mouse)
MacBook unibody early 2009 with Mavericks (el cap is a bit sluggish) 2x2gb of ram (paid $30)
And my primary one is a MacBook Pro 2012 16gb of ram High Sierra

>Show guts please!
Knock yourself out
youtube.com/watch?v=hnUl_im3Vzw

5/5 bretty gud

I keep flitting between an iMac G5 in my garage and a Samsung DP-U300.

But in my loft I have a iMac G3 running os9 which I sometimes listen to music on and read threads. Its a comfy feel when the rains hitting the roof.

>regularly
not too old, a llano a8-3870k based htpc

>oldest shit i had i just let it collecting dust, but sometimes turns it on because why not?
an imac g3

>>oldest shit i had i just let it collecting dust, but sometimes turns it on because why not?
Powerbook 170. Battery is long dead but it runs OK off the adapter.

my old pc runs a minecraft server. fx 8350 and a gtx 680. yeah its a kids game. my friends want it and i didnt want them paying for one.

>OpenBSD
I think you mean NetBSD, which focuses on portability. OpenBSD is the security BSD.

dressed my latitude 2120 up for halloween, it does 720p/JS fine but it loses some frames when emulating PS1 games.

my main pc, built almost 10 years ago

upgraded a few bits over the years but now the motherboard has a few faults so i'll need to build something new soon

I have a T400 with Win 10 LTSB that I use for running Audi diagnostics. My main personal computer is a mid-2014 rMBP. The rMBP is better in every way except the keyboard. Better display, battery life, quieter, doesn't run as hot, lighter, thinner. Of course I paid $1300 + tax for the rMBP while I got the T400 for $200. They both suit their needs.

wow. Is that a DDS tape drive? It's been ages since I've seen one of those! I wonder if you can still buy new tapes for them or not.

oldest in use: 2008 iMac
main computer: same 2008 iMac

After nearly 9 years, I finally reformatted it the other month and updated from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. Works fine, a little pokey in some details, wondering if I should step it back to Mavericks before I start filling up the drive with too much stuff.

thinkpad w500
Still works, and it's just easier to deal with when not using my desktop for goyming.
TFW fell for the meme, and realized that it's good enough for most of what I do.

I have a Pavilion 4535 running on a Celeron 400mhz processor with 64mbs of ram and running Windows 98 SE. Thinking of running puppy Linux on it and might try browsing the web.

No, I meant OpenBSD. NetBSD is poo.

I only use it very irregular from time to time when I visit my parents, but my father is still using an old Macintosh G4 tower (PowerMac3,1) running Mac OS 10.3/10.4 in dual boot, and until a few years ago was still using both a G3 (Blue and White) running 9.2 and an even older Power Macintosh 7600/200 on 9.1

Pictured, my main rig.

The oldest machine I use regularly is my 2005 Thinkpad R52 running Mint, KDE. I use the machine in my welding shop because I don't care about it getting fucked up as I have a box of R52s.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc'd @ 3.0GHz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
8GB RAM
Ubuntu MATE 17.10

My main system

Acer Aspire

I regularly use an old Dell from 2006 for hard drive testing/setup before sticking in my server, though more realistically it's my ThinkPad T430. Just built a new server since old one shit the bed.

HP Elitebook from 2010. Really needs an SSD and a GPU that does OpenGL 4.x. Otherwise it's perfectly fine, if a bit heavy to lug around and a bit short on battery life.

>8740w
My nigga. The ATI M7820 should be a drop-in replacement for whatever crappy Nvidia thing you're running, and it should support OpenGL 4.3 at the very least. I miss the days when laptops had 16:10 and upgradeable CPU/GPU's. Which is why I'm taking my 8740w to the grave with me.

Altair 8800 and Commodore PET.

the two SGIs at my desk are from 1999 and 1997 but the Qube is forever, so it counts more
>how does it compare
a first gen raspberry pi edges it out in linpack no matter how autistic I get with cflags

2011 Acer 5560G

Shit need some love (between battery replacement, keyboard replacement abd trackpad repair abd some cosmetics) but it still runs fine