Redpill me on tube amps

redpill me on tube amps

Other urls found in this thread:

jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#Specs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_amplifier
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Placebo for pretentious retards.

they make your sound a tad warmer, but otherwise

why? some people genuinely like high thd and loose as fuck damping factor from otl

Tubes get hot.

Tubes just like FETs produce even harmonics which to some people are more pleasant to hear while tubes are inferior in terms of noise, distortion, power consumption (efficiency) and size.

So technically they are inferior but some people like the sound of them better which is a matter of preference.

Another point you could make is that for things like guitar amplifiers they tend to work better since they don't saturate in the same way as discrete transistors.

Total bullcrap.
Obsolete since the first silicon amp.
They actually distort the signal based on their materials and mostly their temp.
They add harmonics.
Solid state amps _just_ amplify the signal.

Allows you to hear your music the way it originally sounded in the studio to the musicians since they all used tube amps for their instruments and the producer used tube amps while mixing it.

Guitar amps need overdrive.
Tube amps do have unwanted overdrive/clipping/saturation and is variable, depending on the state.
Ss amps have a factory limit on clipping, which is over 24-30 volt...and that's it.
On top of that,ss amps, which are used not only by ppl stuck in the '30s, can and are cooled to reduce any noise produced.
They use it in em telescopes to get signals from distant galaxies, so input noise is reduced by bringing temp down to a few kelvin.
Tubes don't do that.

>Allows you to hear your music the way it originally sounded in the studio

Don't forget to buy huge-ass studio monitor loudspeakers and adjust the acoustics of your listening room so it closely remembles the studio's

You never hear the original audio if it is recorded with tube amps.
You never hear what was produced if you use a tube amp.
In metal and rock songs, the best combo imo is ss amp as input and tube as output. You still get the original input from the guitar and then all those good parasitic features of the tube is passed on to the speaker so you can hear your distorted "warm" sound.

>not having exact replicas of all the major control rooms in your basement

The best way to listen to 192kh/24 bit vinyl rips. The difference is night and day!

Same as people who seek the old muscle cars. Or the Thinkpad crowd. Well thinkpads can be somewhat cheap.

Nothing but nostalgia here.

The best tube in the world sound like an average solid state

>192kHz
deaf pleb
time to go full ultrasonic

>768khz, hopefully with a bit depth of 40
For Golden Ears, it's The Way It's Meant To Be Heard

I only listen to floating point precision straight out of a daw for that true >1000dB dynamic range

they have tubes

>listens to music made in a studio.
my dadrock collection was recorded in a garage.

They are utterly inferior.

Great for a guitar amp bc much overdrive.
Placebo for audiophile shit.
Also
>Tubes get hot.

Not OP but I could use some input.

I'm in the market for a speaker setup that'll be exclusively for my pc: music and games. The dilemma I'm having is whether to go for a more modular setup (independent stereo and passive speakers) or a simple set of powered speakers. I'm having trouble finding a setup that meets most of my needs. The two features I'm most concerned with are a usb input (I like the sound better than rca or 3.5mm) and bluetooth.

As far as sound quality, it's hard to gauge the audio based on online reviews. Mainly because they're made by the type of dude who'll spend $8000 on an audiophile setup. I just want something with enough bass to not feel too shallow and the above mentioned features.

Can anyone help a neighbor out?

Overpriced garbage.

Audioengine A2+ and Kanto Sub6.

Maybe look into JBL's stuff like this
jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#Specs

post your amps

We designed solid state amps to get away from them, not sure why you would go back. It's like creating fusion power and then going back to gas because you like the global warming effect.

Impressive user.

t. dadrock connoisseur

>spend thousands on amps
>headphones are complete garbage
bruh

Tube amps give you a warmer sound.

you can also tap the thing and get weird distortions out of it.

its also a very high end thing, cheap tube amps are shit.

Schiit is good nor matter what the audio fags say.

>single-precision float

I only use 128-bit float with my POWER9 CPU to listen to my idol pop.

>multiple bits
D S D

Good thing I only listen to music made by autistic people with computers.

What is this equipment? It's fucking lab grade (and not for audio).

it's the rme adi-2 pro, the weirdest mix of pro audio and hifi enthusiast gear and measurement frontend
but actually a pretty great and versatile tool

Seriously, I at least expected BNC out at that frequency. There is absolutely no analog audio equipment that can make use of the fucking 0.7MHz sample rate signal. Also, is the bit depth limited at that sample rate?

it's 32 bit at all sample rates
yeah it's no dscope or audio precision, but if you're using measurement grade ad/da chips why not fully implement them, everything else wouldn't be rme style

Great for instrument amplification, debatable for music amplification.

I owned both. They don't make a difference so I threw mine into the trash a few years ago.

I have serious doubts™ that you get anywhere near 32 bits of signal to noise at that sampling rate. The least noisy A/D converter I've used so far gets 24 bits of signal at a 2Hz sampling rate.

If you took my scope's ADC which samples with 8 bit precision at 1GHz and tried to downsample to get 32 bits, you'd end up with 1000000000/(2^24) = 60 Hz sample rate.

In fact looking at the specs for that device it has a 120 dB signal to noise ratio. So that's only 20 usable bits.

of course you don't the snr on the actual converter output is somehing like 120dB. the 32 bit in professional audio interfaces is more for a end-to-end bit perfect processing while allowing some headroom for the internal dsp

my former amps 211(VT-4C) push-pull monoblocks.

meme

The redpill is that they're pure placebo.

>measures like shit
>sounds like shit
no placebo there, just objectively inferior

Tubes have a place in high voltage, high power, high impedance applications. It's the last one that's not so great for audio. In amps this is pretty much just electrostatic amps unless you want something vintage just because.

They'd have even less application if the death of stuff like CRT didn't cause most of the high voltage transistors to start being phased out. You can barely find decent through hole stuff over 600-700VDC breakdown these days.

aesthetic but placebo

they produce round-off error in your music making things sound 'nice' because it makes your 'hi-fi' bullshit not sound so realistic and annoying to autists

Placebo

Pros:
>hear music the way the musicians and engineers heard it when they were making it.
>looks cool

Cons:
>makes sound warmer
>what you hear is different from what's recorded

Futterman was most coolest tube amps.
those were tend to explode and blow up itself and speaker

They look cool and heat your room at the same time. That's it. If you want some nice looking shit in you cupboard, buy it. If you just want good audio you don't need this.

you need to warm it up to get that sweet orgasmic tone, that is for guitar tube amplifiers.

Decent tubes increase perceived soundstage, helps shit like HD600.

>he can't handle the treble

>usb input (I like the sound better than rca or 3.5mm)
you do realize inside the speaker there's a dac that turns the usb into analog (rca/3.5mm), right?

>he has hearing loss

bump

Sounds better due to even order harmonics. Some people will call this placebo. Runs hotter, costs more. Looks cool dude.

Way more fun to play a tube amp for guitarists, but inferior to SS for modern metal due to lack of fast compression attack i.e. not as precise for fast picking / attack. For rock,a tube amp is the best sound in the world.

My thoughts based upon having many tube and SS amps and using modeling quite extensively.

Tubes aren't vulnerable to EMP, so you can keep listening to Black Sabbath during the nuclear apocalypse.

>Sounds better due to even order harmonics
nice buzzwords

Actually tube amps balance harsh treble, which is exactly why you pair headphones like beyerhiss dt990 with warm sources.

I exclusively listen to vaporwave

Vacuum sucks.

Magnetic amplifiers - what's the score? Curious about their audio qualities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_amplifier