As a third year in Uni, I'm finding I'm falling behind in my CS classes...

As a third year in Uni, I'm finding I'm falling behind in my CS classes. I feel like there is a logical leap from coding very basic programs to the advanced programs my professors and other peers are able to write. I understand basic fundamentals, so when searching for help I find that I get recommended material that covers what is an int. What would be some good intermediate level resources for me to advance my knowledge?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/uFgHDg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that's why you're going to school
you need to be more specific about what you're failing at.

smoke crack

The people working hard are now able to make that leap without much change in their studying habits. While the slackers who were able to grasp the basics without much studying are falling behind.

Practice and study. Look at the insane amounts on github. Review notes on software engineering or similar class with project management, uml etc.

I'm having difficulty grasping how huge projects come together. I have built a postfix calculator after putting work into it. However, now I'm finding that projects seem to be endlessly complex and I'm not sure how to approach these problems.

Be more specific please.
Don't be a moron, just take amphetamines if you're gonna program for a few days, metth will make you go bonkers if you're on it for too long.

Im trying to be more specific. Elements like UI/Controller development confuse me. I also feel like I am expected to have a large knowledge of the libraries of a language and it seems so daunting to me I don't know where to start. Especially since I am writing in several different languages.

Just focus on one thing, you gotta know how to do something before you move on. Try writing everything in one language and mastering it, learning the ins and out of it. You'll find that it will be extremely easy to create anything with the toolchain you know well enough. It also helps a lot to be active in development communities to learn more and to get information faster, if you want you can join one of the Sup Forums ones on discord.
discord.gg/uFgHDg

Lurking here because I'm in a similar situation. I'm only 1st year Uni, but been coding for years. Always have these grande ideas for programs I want to make, but can never seem to figure out how to plan a project.

Would love to do an experience building project with someone if anyones interested.

Join an opensource project willing to take on noobs, there are enough.

Lol I'm in the same boat OP

Bookmarked the thread btw

Maybe the agile development model would help you. (simplifying)

1) Come up with a set of features you feel your program has to have (user stories).
ex:
As a I want to be able to and .
As a I want to be able to and ..
2) Create acceptance criteria based on the requirements (user stories).
ex:
Scenario:
Given that I am a logged in user
and I am on the modify feed page
When I select the "add new source" button
and enter a valid source
Then I will have added a new source for news.
3) Write tests for your app.
For java they can be JUnit tests which execute before your program runs. These are useful for the background code. You may also want to run UI tests with the likes of Espresso. In the case of the #2 scenario I specified I would use Espresso to perform that exact action and assert that there are now new entries in the feed. (you can still access the variables when testing).
4) Code. As you build your code you should run your acceptance tests which will keep you on track. If you design first you won't try to expand the scope.

Another option is to take a bunch of stimulants and hammer the project out in an afternoon.

this

yep

>has trouble with CS
LOL

You're literally in the easiest STEM field you can possibly think of, and you still suck ass. Jesus fucking christ, go apply at Starcucks, retarded faggot.

How did you get so good at CS?

Imagine if these people got into Math, Physics or Med School
Holy shit I can almost taste the retarded despair.

Physics is so much easier than CS. What are you talking about?

try to make something you limp dick piece of shit

He didn't posters like that tend to be zero skill fucktards.

Does Hello World count?

no. think of something you want to make.

this nigga can't be serious.

he is, its true.
t. physics phd

Sounds like you're just a brainlet

But I want to make a program that prints Hello World to the out stream

Fuck no. Maybe that bs physics class business people take but not real physics. It's a life changing experience

Relativity isn't that hard.

>I feel like ther eis a logical leap from coding very basic programs to the advanced programs my professors and other peers are able to write
There isn't. It's all more of the same. If you have a specific question I might be able to answer it for you, but "advanced programs" are made using the same control structures as "basic programs"

/thread

Don’t worry. No matter how go you are in university, when you get out to a real programming job you’ll realize you know little to nothing and that’s okay.

How Good*

Me too. I'm working on a big project right now and I'm not sure where to begin. It just seems so daunting to create a real program when all I've done is fizzbuzz kind of stuff and a few simple arcade tier video games

Is there a specific approach that you take to tackling programs?
In a similar vein to the question above, how do you break down a problem with which you have no prior experience? (i.e. taking an image as an input and returning an altered image)
Is it pertinent to try to master a single programming language before attempting to move on to others?
Is K&R still the coding bible that all programmers should read?
How do you approach learning the intricacies of a language? (i.e. libraries and fringe cases)
How can one go about learning the details of the Linux Operating System? (i.e. I see a lot of debate about Systemd and I don't even know basic Linux processes.)
How do you motivate yourself to practice a language daily?

These are some I rattled off the top of my head.

>Is K&R still the coding bible that all programmers should read?

Depends. Do you want to program in C?