Hey guys, remember solar freakin' roadways?

Hey guys, remember solar freakin' roadways?

>niggers make $12k/night digging up the roads

good idea

Yeah. Did something happen with them that shows they're not a stupid idea?

No.

They're currently up to performing a study using two commercially available solar panels to see the effects of angled versus flat mounting on energy production.

The whole idea dont wont fucking work. If you want sun to come in to the solar panel you need the surface to be smooth. When surface is smooth you get blinded because it reflects light as well right into drivers eyes

>needing a study to conduct an experiment that shouldn't take more than 5 seconds

I think you missed the part about how angling solar panels for efficiency is already a well-studied topic with a known optimum angle.

They're either a scam or a pipe dream by grossly incompetent morons. Let me illustrate:

• More expensive per square meter than regular solar panels because they need to support extreme abuse from vehicles driving on them, car crashes and spilled garbage.

• Less efficient due to poor orientation, road grime, damage, and shading from vehicles.

• Has aVASTLYshorter life. The busiest roadwaysare resurfaced every 2-3 years, and even less-trafficked residential streets are typically repaved on 5-10 year schedules. That means a loss of all your solar PV capacity and a very rapid investment amortization.

You want to deploy solar someplace sane?Put it on your fucking roof.You want to deploy it at parking lots?Build an awning over it and put the cells there, angled toward the sun for improved efficiency.You want to deploy this along roadways?There's often a median or right of way 2-3x the width of a roadway available, and better yet,it's not filled with cars and trucks beating the surface to shit.

The whole idea is retarded.

/thread

Okay, but what about spinning solar trees?

But plastic roadways are still good, right?

Install them in LA or the San Francisco Bay Area and see how long they last. After daily car crashes, car fires and especially in the Bay Area protestors blocking the roads and starting garbage fires on them.

>it will melt or burn into fumes via sun+friction of cars

Retarded.

There's some research recently released showing compacted recycled plastic waste can be used in place of gravel in standard road base.

Apparently this results in much more durable and cheaper roads. Might be worth something in time?

It also lasts temperatures between -40c and 80c

Reddit wouldn't shut the fuck up about it for like half a year.

I don't understand why people even come up with this shit. The shit they make roads out of right now is 99% recyclable material. You can't get better than that.

They're design students and not engineers.
Also, they don't realize that the paving material is literally the easiest aspect of road construction, leveling the earth is much more arduous and expensive.

well, it only started on fire twice.

This. Here in the Netherlands we had a small experiment with a solar bicycle lane, and immediately the media was filled with green wankers orgastically beating each other off over the fact that the whole country could be powered if we converted all the roads to solar roads.
It's a fucking stupid idea.

they will always be a stupid idea while cars are inflicting wear and tear on roads

hi thunderf00t

Dumb

plastic roads would work. they're called concrete sidewalks. access points exist to service the cabling and piping beneath them and in catastrophic events you can tear it up and just put a new section in.

I don't know why I never thought of that.

>MFW we don't really have niggers where I live.

GodDAMN! just came to this
who is she? those TITS!!

is there a plastic thats uv resistant enough though?

I don't know man. The monkeys here in NJ can't even pave anything right

>The shit they make roads out of right now is 99% recyclable material.
Huh... learn something new every day.

>get out of car
>touch metal doorknob
>googolplex amounts of static discharge are released from your fingertips, turning you into a real life darth maul; you shoot literal lightning out of your fucking fingers as you blow the door and your hand to smithereens.

You do know that roads are basically ground up stones/fiiller with tarmac right?

Electricity wants to reach the ground you mong. It doesn't go inside you when it's already in the ground.

>static discharge
>rubber wheels

Rather than make entire roads out of solar panels (and deal with the complications of the daily wear and tear), why not just put them all along the side of the road? Like on the shoulders? There would be far less abuse, less drivers wearing it down, and you wouldn’t have to necessarily repave the entire, drivable road.

So why don't we put them ON the cars? We should put solar panels on every roof and have them attached to batteries that can be used around the house, too.

exactly. Also, wouldn't the traffic block sunlight from the panels anyways?

Problem with plastic is that it's fucking expensive compared to concrete.

>she

why not put them over the road, like a roof.

because one tracking solar panel would be better than mile of stationary once.

Why not just put them in space?

lol

actually laughed out loud

Then all the energy will be controlled by the Union, Human Reform League, and the AEU. And the minor countries left in the dust will be a constant war zone!

You can just melt the tar and redo the whole shit.

They should've put the Solar Panels on a roof/umbrella type on the side of the road providing shade to the main road.

Not only would this give the solar panel more life, it will also provide more life to the road itself due to reduced sun light stress on road. This in turn means car tires would wear less, be more energy/fuel efficient, etc.

It would even be cheaper/more efficient/etc. If lighting is needed, they could always hang some LED light from below the panels, if notifications are needed, below the panel as well.

Replacement panels would be even much more easier too.

just put up a big ass space magnifying glass and focus the sunrays on the road. It can even double as a deterrent if NK starts acting up

>spend years updating roads with these
>technology becomes outdated in a decade

checkout these bad boys, they are as efficient as solar gets

I work at the rubbish dump and people dump their rocks and soil and bullshit like that and it all gets crushed up into the shit roads are made from

is that just a shitty cobbled together version of this?

>almost no surface area
It's like it was made by an idiot.

Some cars already have this. They generally use them to power the HVAC system while the car is off on a timer to keep the car cool. See luxury cars.

its called the 'cheaper' version

Getting some pipes and painting them black ain't expensive

We have plenty of roofs to put them on, why the fuck would you ever want to put them on roadways where their angle to the sun is much worse, plus they get dirtier, break down much faster because of use.

Why was this ever a thing to begin with

>Why was this ever a thing to begin with

Scams don't need to be feasible, a couple of guys got rich probably

Why not put them on the roofs and hoods of cars?

people do that on the boats, cars have problems like pesky building and trees.

What about for vehicles that don't park often? Like 18 wheelers, public transit, taxis, etc.

Change for the sake of change. Combined with clinging to the idea that your communist utopia is just around the corner.

Looks like the quick and dirty method to making a water heater.

and boats have to deal with sharks. what's your argument again?

What muscles does this exercise target?

If we take sedan, we can roughly make fit 200w MAX solar panels on the roof.
on a trucks bed from my crude calculations it's about 74kW MAX output

Because panels are not seeing light directly efficiency drops to about 50% and because they don't see sun all the time efficiency drops even lower than that.

The sex muscles. Don't worry, you won't need them.

The things we could do if it wasn't for niggers and niggery behavior...

Thats cause reddit is literally facebook cancer now. They think quantum computers are a good idea, and that Elon Musk is a genius.
Pic related was what was on top of r/all today.

Fuck muscles.
When I had doggy for the first time, my ass hurted. May seem fun but I walk 8km every day and it was a letdown, didn't expect that.

At least he's letting two of three be girls.

Thats generally what happens when you are receiving though.

>Very different
>2 are princesses

Speaking from experience, I see.
No, rly. That's why I wrote "it may seem fun", but untrained ass muscles will hurt after doggy style.

why can't they just generate energy from moving cars instead of the sun

>letting your daughter dress up as a crack addict who's only famous for portraying a space whore

They aren't just painted pipes. It's actually transparent glass vacuum tube with the painted pipe inside. This way you can collect heat even in freezing temperatures.

Daily reminder that Thunderfuck would get his point across better if he wasn't so fucking smug about everything he said. When you pick the lowest hanging fruit to debunk you have no reason to be smug.

>reddit is for normies
this is news how?

what has a drag queen to do with solar roadways?

PICKLE RICK XDDD

It would help if he didn't fucking released the same video 4 times but with slight additions.

it feels bad when you realize society needs to be reset in a very controlled way.

And his videos themselves are repetitive as fuck. Everytime after he makes a point he shows you the same exact footage.

Can't stand these types of videos.

Daily reminder that he should stick to chemistry because he knows nothing about mechanical engineering.

He could still get a job at Hyperloop then.