/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB SSD is almost mandatory

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2400/3941vs803
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dp8Gyf
youtu.be/69hjCd0FkCI
youtu.be/bfUzDMaRjaM
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5547991
pcpartpicker.com/list/q26wxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/j2p4xY
zowie.benq.com/en/product/monitor/xl/xl2411.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/4TC7KZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/qTYvPs
youtube.com/watch?v=IQKLImul6sQ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157767)
pcpartpicker.com/list/xBqCNN
my.mixtape.moe/vxizpd.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

any of you use this comparison?

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2400/3941vs803

>yeah that will be fifty gorillion dollars
BITCOIN YOU FUCK AAAAAAAAAA

I'm going to do a mini itx build because I will be moving a bit in the next few years and want to save frustration. I need advice on case and cooling primarily. What is the smallest case I can use where temperature isn't a problem given the best cooling? I thought the dan a4-sfx looked amazingly perfect but I just do not know what temperature it would get with stock/aftermarket/liquid. Was going to do an i5 and 1060. Should I just get a laptop? The Helios 300 would be the same price almost.

>>G4560/G4600

upgrade from i5 2400 to ryzen 5 1600x for arma 3?

Arma 3 seems to run a lot better on intel.

Hey /pcbg/ Australian with ape level intellect here, please help my addled brain with my current attempts at PC building,
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dp8Gyf

Any suggestions, problems or substitutions would make me a happy camper

Also this is slightly more expensive than what i wanted, is there any cheaper alternatives to parts that i currently have?

I use it abit. But it's basically just to give you an idea. Sometimes further research helps but not really. They get their information of of tons of different users performances.
Yeah I've only heard of poor performance form Ryzen with Arma. I think they reckoned it was an Arma problem with single-thread/core performance or something. I don't know if 'fine-wine will fix it but it'll run atleast

goddamn arma is unoptimized

Looks good. If I had the money I'd do the same. Though I must say with the release of the gtx 1070ti the price of the gtx 1070 will drop(probably) to a better price. That cards alil overpriced as is. You should try doing alil shopping for a cheaper price. You might be surprised to find a vendor in Australia that sells it for a reasonable price with free shipping. Just search the card with Australia at the end.
I live in South Africa and do the same and I tend to beable to find trusted sources that sell them at competitive prices even compared to American prices. Some online g can save you a whole $100

> running a 2600k at 4.3 GHz with a RX 480
> need to upgrade, but component prices are through the roof

sell rx 480 to miner for $325
bought 6850k + x99 mobo for $300 on craigslist
bought 16gb ddr4-2667 on special amazon sale for $96
bought a gtx 1080 for $380 on craigslist (needed new fans, another $15)

6850k OCs to 4.3 GHz at 1.280V, decent
last soldered processor from Intel, so good temps

net spend was only around $500. using 2600k in secondary computer.
feels pretty good man

Thanks for the compliment and the advice, it's not a short term goal, the hamster in a treadmill that is my brain tells me to just buy bits and pieces over time until i have 1 whole computer, because for the last 4 years i have been using an Aspire V5-571PG with many cracks in the screen, broken keyboard, smashed plastic vents for the heatsink, and a cracked as fuck chassis/case - even though its more broken than the greek economy i still can play the old shadow of mordor or skyrim on it, but its absolutely drek

Going to be upgrading from a amd fx6300, 8gb of ram, and no ssd to this. Anything wrong with it? Should I be able to easily get a 5.0GHz OC out of it? I mainly want to get into emulation that I've never been able to do with my amd cpu.

I have a r9 270x I'm going to throw in it now and wait a few months/cyber monday for gpu prices to go down. I know it's going to bottleneck the shit out of it but I can't justify paying double what a 1070 is actually worth. Emulation doesn't really need a good gpu anyway.

Also don't know why pcpartpicker isn't showing prices but it comes out to about $1100.

Looks alright, Auss. Check out this guy's Ryzen 5 1600 build video series. It'll help you out a great deal:
Part 1:youtu.be/69hjCd0FkCI
Part 2: youtu.be/bfUzDMaRjaM

No chip is guaranteed 5ghz at practical voltages youll just have to hope you get a good one

what are those numbers? :\

Avg fps

I get 75fps with my 750ti and i5 2400 but low settings

iirc emulation is all about single core performance

According to UserBenchmarks, at stock the 8700k beats 8600k in single core by ~5%, however when overclocked to the peak it says there's 0% single core difference

So you could most likely have the exact same performance and save 100$

>1070 is actually worth
if you're US like you seem to be, consider preordering an EVGA 1070ti, pay only 20$ over MSRP
It's probably far too strong for emulating but still

also check your compatibility notes u dingdong

cool story bro
If that's the case you really need an upgrade
Nah bit by bit is just wasting your time and possibly money. If anything goes wrong when you finally put it together you might have wasted a bunch of months or a year on your warranty which might come in handy. If you got a credit with your bank you could pay some of it up over 6-12months with a modest 5% interest or such. But I think it's best to just rough it for a month or so. Maybe sell something if your that strapped for cash.
One thing that could help is buying cheaper mouse and keyboard you can get them for for far cheaper than thoughs. But if your looking for aesthetics, that's your choice. Might aswell buy mouse and keyboard second hand at cash converters/crusaders or whatever your countries second hand shop equivalent is.

>120gb ssd
why are you throwing your money down the drain?
I hope your listening to this guy.

Modified Raijintek Metis

Thoughts on the Asus vx239h? It's worth 120 in US dollars. 1 year used though. Oh and what are the things to look out for when buying used monitors? The seller has 13 in stock.

what in the fuck
a motherboard fan

so that's why there's standoffs next to my atx board

I want to play on a Windows VM (GPU passthrough), in 1080p, what would be the best :

-1060 3GB or 1060 6GB?
-8350K, 8600K, or a Kaby Lake CPU?

6gb for sure
probably 8350k

I'm definitely going to be doing more than emulation with it. I'm going to have a pretty demanding need for HT so I went with 8700k for that.

What's wrong with a cheap ~$50 m.2 to throw my OS on?

Here's the compatibility notes. Shouldn't be an issue.

reminds me of this

good old days

yeah that mobo has 8 sata ports so you should be gucci

LanParty boards!! I always thought I was the only person who bought those.

I've only ever had two mobos die on me, and they were both DFi LanParty boards. Socket 939 was a frustrating era for me. RIP dudes.

Alright Fuckers, taking bets here (Good boy points only) how many months until cryptos change and market is flooded with 2nd hand shit?

personally i think it will be a little over 2 months, new year sort of shit

Either way fuck the cryptomining chinks buying up thousands of GPU's

7 months and 12 days

Once the new ethereum policies are put into place the prices on new and used are going to tank. But those policies could be tomorrow or 10 years from now.

What's wrong with a cheap ~$50 m.2 to throw my OS on?
If you intend on using it solely for your windows and some small stupid shit fine. But don't you want space for your games

amd slow
no game

My budget is around $750 (CAD)

I'm just looking for a usable gaming PC to get me through the next year or two before I'm in a better spot to spend bigger.

You can include a monitor in the build even if it goes out of budget but I wouldn't be able to pick it up for a few weeks.

Anyone? I've read reviews but personal opinions are what I'm after.

I've been living in a hole the past two years and don't know what's good anymore.
Also I plan to eventually get a GPU for gaming, although I mainly need this for data processing and storage.

finally assembled my new pc r8/h8

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5547991

I'd say 24C at stock freq is pretty good (no delid)

>OS Windows 10
shit pc

>eventually
You still need a GPU though, even if a cheap one.

And it is the most pervasively unoptimized garbage imagineable, Arma never ran well and never will

>amd slow
>no game
can't even afford an AMD... poor guy
Using it for games or what? If i bought anything it wouldn't be an LED honestly. and I'm not even a gamer. Check out comparisions between TN, VA and whatever else screens and LED vs LCD screens and try make a discision from that.
>It's worth 120 in US dollars.
You mean he's selling it for that. I won't buy it. But go ahead screens last for a good long time. If it's lacking scratches and the screen looks great before you buy it. It should be A-okay

>2017
>8gb ram
Bru i'm glad you've made it out of prison but were running on 16gb recommended. Welcome to the future!

I'm not even meme'ing dude
get 16gb ram

Any recommendations? I was considering a GTX 1060, but I am unsure about bottlenecking or anything of the like.

Done.

Why is logicalincrements no longer in OPs post?
Did something happen or are they just shit?

Gaming mostly and music production for more work space. I'm aiming for a dual monitor setup using my current monitor.

Original price is 8000 flip coins. He sells it for 6000. Why wouldn't you buy it? Just curious. I'll be sure to check for scratches and let him power it on to check the quality and shit.

Are you retarded?

>LED vs LCD
Nearly every monitor on the market is LCD, and nearly every monitor on the market is also LED. This is because they're LCD monitors with an LED backlight. The other option to backlighting with LCD screens is CCFL, which is hardly used these days.

I've been working on this myself and this seems to be the best I can come up with so far.

any suggestions on where to go from here?

I forgot to add I already had a 8gb ram stick compatible with the build So that the only reason I threw in the 4 instead of something bigger.

good goy :P
>Original price is 8000 flip coins. He sells it for 6000
I don't know what your talking about. but if it's a bargain it's a bargain
>Why wouldn't you buy it?
I honestly don't know, I forgot why. I've done some cursory browsing into new screens a couple days ago and came to the conclusion that led is a no-no. Something about contrasts or something. Do your own research
Exactly ;^) why didn't you help our friend^^^^ out then

Is this loss?

A 1060 (or 580/480, if you can get one for decent price) is adequate for 1080p. Also, Ryzen loves fast RAM, so I'd recommend getting something better than 2133MHz.

Stop posting. You're a complete retard and don't know what you're talking about.

$1 = 50 pesos.

pcpartpicker.com/list/q26wxY
I am quite illiterate building a PC and I don't know shit about components. I will use my PC for gaming but I don't want to go over $900 without a monitor. Any suggestions?

>tfw nothing to upgrade
I don't even play AAA shit.

Maybe I could buy a new case or something with USB 3.0 slots.

Ditch the cooler, it's barely better than the one that comes with R5 1600.

get either ryzen 3 1200, ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 7 1700/1700x
all other ryzen processors are shit

you're paying out the ass for the mobo, check if asrock pro4 is cheaper, which is also a better board

get 8 gigs at the VERY least
nvm just read second post, I wouldn't buy 4 gigs then especially not 2133

you're better off buying a second hand GPU at that pricepoint

if you take out the four gigs, switch to 1200 and pro4 you save about 80 sorrydollars

if you add that to your gpu budget you have ~225
Quite a lot decent GPUs on ebay.ca for under 200
As for new you could get a 1050ti or a PNY 970 and if you find some change in your couch a 1060 3gb

drop cooler and you're set
some people claim msi gpus are inferior to assus or evga so maybe do some research into that

nice little set up and nice card, you have taste :^)

teh ram sucks dick tho

is there a difference between 2666 and 2800 ram
as far as I've read, the 2800 gets downclocked to 2666 anyway

depends on the mb, but higher the better.

the diff between 3000 and the 36+ can be 5-10 frames

Dual socket LGA2011 motherboard ~$350
(2) LGA2011 Xeons @ 3.8ghz ~$120ea ($240)

already have a spare case, a 1080 and a 700w PSU.

worth?

Thanks for the advice, I switched out all the parts you advised, while I might regret a new 1050ti over getting something used I just want the first built computer to be all new.

yeah used gpus are pretty sketch right now due to miners

Am I right in thinking I can simply replace my GTX 580 with a 1080?
According to the official specs it seems to have the exact same dimensions and less power consumption

Why do some people who don't know what they're talking about just keep talking about it?

1070 ti or vega 56?

Yes

Help me /pcbg/. I need to come up with a light budget build to play CS GO on.
I only need a CPU, mobo, memory, monitor and an optional video card if my GTX 560Ti is unsuitable for this.

I want it to be as cheap as possible while having these minimum requirements:
- 144 Hz monitor with low input lag/latency
- as high of a framerate as possible
- just enough of a video card to not bottleneck the cpu

Basically want a CS GO pc on the cheap. Already have a case, SSD, PSU etc.
A Ryzen 5 looks really enticing, especially one with a Wraith cooler but I've seen mixed reports of CS GO performance

How's this for a budget build?

Doesn't include a HDD because I have a spare SSD I'll be using.

pcpartpicker.com/list/j2p4xY

OK so after a quick search I ran into this monitor
zowie.benq.com/en/product/monitor/xl/xl2411.html
and my GTX 560ti supposedly can run this via DVI just fine. Still don't know if it would bottleneck a newer CPU and shit on framerates though. As the Source engine cs go uses is pretty CPU heavy.

Rate my build? It's for my imouto. She's kind of a weeb. So those 2D "dating Sims" and other such neko games from steam is as much as she plays gaming. Other than that, she watches Netflix, streams anime from my server/VRV account, and does school work. Anything wrong so far as anyone can see?

This build will be paired with a 24" 1080p IPS monitor I'm buying for her.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4TC7KZ

Save your money. Get a DDR4 and Ryzen based build. Even the R3-1200 with stock cooler will outperform that athlon both in single thread, multi thread, as well as using less power/pumping out less heat. No aftermarket cooler will be necessary. You can take that $20 saved and put it towards the inflated price of ddr4 currently. Also I'd spend less on a case. A $70 box for your parts on a budget build is steep. Look at something like the Corsair 100R or similar. Keep it sub $50.

Well your video isn't going to bottleneck your Cpu. It's just that honestly, that 560ti is not a performer anymore. Especially for 144hz gaming. Overall you need a full on new build. Just buy what you can for now and don't buy a monitor or parts based on your current old stuff.

Logical Increments has so many worthless builds and he's too focused on price.

It's fine

i7 8700K is way overkill. Just get an i5 8400

Draw distance kills the framerate in ARMA

8400 and either gfx card. The 3GB is fine for 1080p but you might have to manage settings in future titles. In Wolf2 Ultra textures settings will kill the framerate on 3 or 4GB cards in the outdoor scenes

Get 3000MHz RAM
Ryzen has no iGPU

1060 is good for 1080p

Need 8GB of RAM at minimum
3000MHz RAM if possible
Your CPU is way over powered for Your graphics card. At your budget you should check out the "minimum" build in the OP. You'll get way better performance in games

Definitely not true

>So those 2D "dating Sims" and other such neko games from steam is as much as she plays gaming
well this is what i have to play such games, but its rather overkill: pcpartpicker.com/list/qTYvPs

your setup is good. if the new desktop zen apus were out, id recommend that.

Any recommendations for dust filters?

I'll make those changes.

I went with that case because it's the least retarded looking one I could find at 3am.

Seems pretty good as far as the use case goes. Personally, I don't like A320M boards since they're locked.

Should I get a 1600x if I already have cooler from an old build?

>TR for dating sims
Are you playing 10 of them at the same time?

youtube.com/watch?v=IQKLImul6sQ

So, uh, shit's kinda hit the fan for me here, and it won't be long before my life descends into poorfaggotry.

Basically, I'm sinking a bunch of dosh into a new PC before that happens. Something that'll last me a long time. I have basically everything laid out, there's just one thing.

8700k is a bitch to get at this time, and waiting too long risks money drying up on stupid shit. Is it worth "settling" for an 8600k?

I want something that'll still be decent, years from now. Mostly interested in gaming, emulation, and some live streaming. Also wouldn't mind dipping my toes into some video editing.

For the record, I'm not particularly interested in Ryzen. Nothing against AMD, I just prefer high clock speeds.

My apologies in advance if I said something retarded.

Yea I'd say just a tad overkill. Not bad I'd you want to have the same game running in 20+ VMs simultaneously of course. She's currently has the old build I tossed together for her out of spare parts, (FX-4100, GT210, 760G chipset am3 board) but the motherboard is starting to show problems like hanging at boot, regardless of BIOS flash, CMOS reset, or OS refresh. So I think it's time for a completely new build for her.
Yea I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VI X370 board for my 1700X myself. But she's not going to be overclocking. I just want a fire and forget build for her.
Good idea. The S340 is nice and all, but expensive for what it offers, especially when on a budget. Overall it's a subjective thing. But as far as Ryzen vs that Athlon you had picked put, not a contest. The R3-1200 would shit all over the athlon in every regard for only a little more. Plus, that fm2+ board you had chosen was literally titled "GRENADE". That I feel is tempting fate.

post pics of your sis

get 2666 ram at the very least for ryzen, if you can get 3000
definitely get a HDD so she actually has space for her animes/mangos in case she wants to keep some
passive cooling makes me sweat so I switched to the same price fan version of the 1030
A lot of DOA reports on your mobo from newegg, which is where yours is going to come from, I wouldn't risk it (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157767)

In total it's up 80 bucks which hurts but it should be significantly less risky
pcpartpicker.com/list/xBqCNN

>AMD Athlon X4 860K with GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (x1) will produce only 6% of bottleneck
that being said, I still think it's a better idea to spend the extra ~50 on a ryzen 3 1200 build

you need almost nothing for csgo

Updated with ryzen and some cheaper parts, went down to 8gb because who the fuck needs 16gb.

8600k is good, but that seems to also be difficult to get.

>$80 extra
Not bad. Thanks for the tips. I think I'll still swap back to the passive 1030 though. Those cards barely pass room temperature even under load. And those tiny 40mm fans are stupid loud. As far as the 1TB HDD. I suppose I could. Doesn't hurt and they're cheap but she has very little data locally. It's mostly on my server in her personal folder, or streaming.

And sorry no pics. Just imagine 16 yo, what's considered a traditional "cute" girl who could be made all the cuter if she actually slept more and took care of her hair. At least she's conscious of being clean.

It's up on newegg right now. 8700ks seem to go in like seconds.

Nearly snatched one up a couple of times yesterday, but I fudged it.

I've been out of the good parts loop for nearly a decade, so I literally just went with whatever mobo I could find that didnt look too stupid and had atleast a few reviews.

My awesome computer build died, and I don't know why, please help.
my.mixtape.moe/vxizpd.webm

>Open side panel
>Measured something
>Booted again
>This frog noise started
>Turned off and fished out the speaker
>I believe noise stopped but screen isn't showing picture anymore
>Put in speaker again
>Frog noise back and still doesn't booot
>Tried booting with different graphics card and without, stills same thing (except no picture if I don't have a card in, obviously)
>Have to hold power button to shut down

>CPU: R5-1600
>Mobo: Gigabyte B350N gaming
>GPU: RX 580 (doesn't matter)
>PSU: Corsair SF450
heeeeelp

Yea I feel you. Also it's good to buy into Ryzen now, even if you're getting the cheapest quad core they offer. AMD already confirmed that Ryzen, Ryzen+, and Ryzen 2 will all be on the am4 socket. So down the road, if you really wanted you could grab a cheap 2nd hand R7 series chip.

thanks doc