What is the best car gps system? Is there one that doesn't require connection to a computer?

What is the best car gps system? Is there one that doesn't require connection to a computer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0dPmvFtDggY#t=1m54s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any android phone? Costs like $10-20

Just get any free offline gps

sygic
best feature is it actually speaks out speed camera warnings.
[speed camera is 900 meters ahead]

no other gps app does this

OpenStreetMap is sweet

Many GPS have audible speed warnings. Nokia's HERE offline gps app have audible speed warning. Fairly certain other GPS apps have it too.

waze has audible speed camera warnings at half a mile
red light camera warnings at about 1000ft

I don't mean apps.

Dunno lad, Garmin and TomTom are alright but some of the cheaper are gimped so you can't even add waypoints etc.

>What is the best car gps system?
the one that came uilt into your car

>but my shitbox didn't offer a gps option
any android tablet wiith cellular and whatever navigation app offers the best speed trap warning in your country

>I don't mean apps.
all aftermarket gps are shit tier and still stuck in 07 tech wise

>audible warning aka some kind of beep
>actually saying Speed camera x meters ahead.

there's a huge difference.

it says via speech
>speed camera reported ahead

and
>red light camera reported ahead

>all aftermarket gps are shit tier and still stuck in 07 tech wise

true. why?

Nokia HERE
UI look like old nav systems and it has good offline functions

The market shrunk a lot. It's harder to pack a more powerful processor than people's $800 smartphones too.

That being said it depends on the model. Picked up a Garmin brand new with lifetime maps and traffic updates (via FM-RDS, no data or bluetooth required although it has bluetooth and smartphone compatibility). It's actually really responsive, all for $99 new (sale that has now ended):

youtube.com/watch?v=0dPmvFtDggY#t=1m54s

I used to be more partial to TomToms but they got shittier after Microsoft asserted FAT32 patents against them and they had to build a new OS.

A paper map

All fun and games until the edges bend with age

iGO can't be beat, it seems

I've done the same, but you can't navigate city streets without buying the city's map. For a gross overview of travel route and figuring out which highways to take, etc, I completely agree with you.

Garmin. You can pirate cyclops for free. Cyclops is the red light camera alerts.

Buy I mostly use my phone now. It's inferior in that it doesn't tell me red light cameras, speed limit, and sometimes gives me annoying routes, but the convenience is somewhat worth it.

Also got a ticket last week because I took a toll road.

Google doesn't have the option to permanently disable toll roads.

>red light cameras

What shithole do you guys live in? As someone who has done a lot of driving in every state between Pennsylvania and Maine I very rarely encounter red light cams. I think I've encountered a few in NYC and I do mean a few and I know they installed some in Great Barrington, MA awhile back but aside from that I see them basically never.

Is this some shit they do down south or out west? Where do you live that you encounter them regularly?

There's a red light camera on nearly every street in DC.

95% of the time they're completely invisible unless you get out of the car to look for it. No warnings. Nothing.

Get an aftermarket unit with CarPlay or Android Auto.