Gnome 3

I recently started using debian with gnome 3, and I think it can be _objectively_ called the best DE. the many tools included with it, especially gnome tweak tool, make it into a good looking, easy to use, functional DE.
Except for personal reasons, or having low power hardware, I don't see why you would use anything else.

Gnome is the cancer that's going to kill Linux. I don't like this post.

How's that? because of being so good that it would get normalfags into linux and that would somehow ruin it?

this post belongs to 2011
Remainder that up to that point, Ubuntu + Compiz was a normie magnet, Gnome 2 was easy to use, light and stable. Then the shitshow called Gnome 3 appeared and there was no usable modern DE for a couple of years (Xfce was the only option), it took at least 2 years for Gnome to be usable and KDE where barely getting their shit together at that point, but most user where already traumatized about how awfull plasma 4 was at first.
Canonical was smart enough to avoid it and create Unity, but was too little too late.

not the guy you replied to, but
>xfce was the only option
That's not true, LXDE worked perfectly fine for me. Unity is a hideous DE that doesn't have any benefits over gnome 3, unless you somehow like the design.

KDE is lighter and more configurable

- file manager without essential functions
- no tray icons (still available in Debian)
- devs are assholes
- systemd dependences
- resource hog without particular reason
- retarded out of the box workflow
- themes and extensions that stop working after GNOME updates
- a bunch of other stuff I can't remember

I think it can be _objectively_ called the worst DE.

But when Gnome 3 dropped Lxde was still beta, it was usable, but if you wanted stability xfce was the way to go
Unity has features Gnome still doesnt have, it was heavy on resources but it worked and made sense for desktops

also, fucking ugly

I've been using ubuntu gnome for quite a while now and for the most part I'm quite happy with it. I've had a lot of trouble with the in-house Software thingy, but other than that it's been smooth sailing. As someone who is not tech-savvy and has minimal needs, gnome works for me.

Unity is far ahead of Gnome in terms of performance (animations), screen real estate (useless top bar with a clock and not much else vs integrated window control and menus in the top bar), HUD, non retarded defaults, GNOME is still far behind every other DE and they just keep removing features, pushing Wayland when it's not stable yet.

>what is a theme

>Except for personal reasons, or having low power hardware, I don't see why you would use anything else.

Are opinions personal reasons?

>what are devs that give enough of a shit not to make it look 10 years old out of the box

Gnome cucks need a 3rd party tool to change themes so it's understandable they don't even know what a theme is.

>Gnome

>good DE

nice bait

Call me when it allows for proper customization from a GUI rather than have to deal with some random ass files just to be able to change the top panel font.

Seriously, KDE be crashy and all but it manages that the right way. And other DEs do too, like XFCE and MATE. What's the problem with GNOME 3? It's barely better than Unity-- wait no, it's actually slower.

I started to use Gnome3 one week ago.
Four the first hours I HATED it.
Now I don't hate it.
Me like.

Daily reminder that gnome is literally the cancer of gnu+linux.

wtf i hate gnome now

>file manager without essential functions
Examples?
>no tray icons
Unnecessary.
>devs are assholes
Yep.
>systemd dependences
Yep.
>resource hog without particular reason
Yep.
>retarded out of the box workflow
I like it, it's logical and straightforward, also my tech illiterate grandpa approves.
>themes and extensions that stop working after GNOME updates
Because it's """experimental""", you know. Don't rely on extensions in your everyday workflow, BITCH.
t. GNOME Devs.
>the worst DE
Still, the best available on gaehnoo slash leenucks, because redmond 2k workflow and macos UX, other DE try to mimic so hard sucks as well.

Almost ten years old meme c'mon.

If it wasn't too RAM hungry I'd use it.