pcengines.ch
netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-5-and-aes-ni.html
reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/68nd6y/pfsense_25_and_aesni/dh0qi53/
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html
opnsense.org/about/about-opnsense/
forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=5097.0
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipfire
ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200375666-Plex-Media-Server-Requirements?mobile_site=true
youtube.com/watch?v=OzPX17jM8r0
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/H3nY3F
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Changelog:
Added a paste some user did about tips. Being different from FAQ I though it was a nice move.

Roadmap:
With colaboration of all anons here, refine the previous pastebin.
Maybe random news anons found.

Ideas:
Tips accepted.
Other anons can be OP if I can't cover it.
We can add to OP random news you can find. Just post it withsome --> News

cue the poorfags thinking their arm boards running plex larping that it is a server

> How bad of an idea is using and old pc (i think it's a Core 2 Duo) for a Pfsense box if I'm concerned with power usage as this will be on 24x7.

You'd be better of getting a shitty Intel NUC or something like it sporting dual NICs.
Besides saving a some moneis on the electricity bill you should be aware that pfsense 2.5 will require AES-NI support and I don't think Core2Duos have that.

I'm running a Zotac Zbox CI323 and it's already overkill for home use unless you want to run SSL Squid or something.

>not just doing a router on a stick

>pfsense 2.5 will require AES-NI support

Wrong.

Its enough but not ideal. First for being overkill and second for not being designed with that job in mind so it will waste a lot more energy than what it should.

PCengines sell some proper open source boards for routers which perform pretty well with low power consumption and passive cooling.

Choose Alix for 100mpb/s and APU for Gigabit.

pcengines.ch

Did they drop their plans already?
My last update was
netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-5-and-aes-ni.html

>While we’re not revealing the extent of our plans, we do want to give early notice that, in order to support the increased cryptographic loads that we see as part of pfSense verison 2.5, pfSense Community Edition version 2.5 will include a requirement that the CPU supports AES-NI.

Really interested in a source that says otherwise.

I'm all for VLANs and everything, but your border gateway should always have at least two physical interfaces.
Everything else just feels wrong.

>Everything else just feels wrong.
If you end up visualizing it, absent PCIe pass through or SRIOV, it will end up being a router on a stick. With that said, i doubt core2duo fag is visualizing it.

Not him but that just shows that people should stay away from that company and their products.

reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/68nd6y/pfsense_25_and_aesni/dh0qi53/

Does visualizing require Visio sheets?
Cause one guy in my management really likes drawing shit up in Visio.
Then I end up telling him that it's not feasible in reality because he's operating on outdated intel.
It's virtually impossible to have a conversation with him without wanting to stab him.

Does anyone know if FreeNAS had some changes that prevent it from booting correctly without a GPU.
With an early FreeNAS 9 version I could boot without a problem when I had no GPU, now with the same setup the system is unreachable and does not even get to the point where I can get a network connection.
Once I install a GPU again everything works.
I could not find a reliable solution to this problem and wondered if one of you guys had an idea.

autocorrect

FreeBSD fag here. Not a FreeNAS user. Maybe their kernel conf is causing that mess. I have no idea if its possible but try to setup the serial console as the main tty as described here:
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

Would the first part be enough?
Now the problem I do not think I have any serial cables anymore.

I think so just make sure you can log into it somehow if things do not work. Thats why I would test with multicons first.

I'm a noob regarding VLAN's, I've a couple of LXC's and VM's that are all on the same subnet on my home Lan.

Someone can enlighten me about VLAN's?

How would I connect the VLAN to the internet? PfSense? I'm using Proxmox.

>VLAN
>subnet
entirely different levels of the OSI model

>Someone can enlighten me about VLAN's?
VLANs are broadcast domains

>How would I connect the VLAN to the internet
at layer 3 with a router

great job being minimally helpful

they try googling it instead of asking us to spoonfeed it to you

So what would you recommend I replace pfSense with? I'm not particularly keen on just installing a vanilla Linux or BSD and setting everything up myself, having it pre-rolled with a web interface saves me a lot of time and frustration.

You need a router. They are not physical so your router LAN interface will be tagged with the additional VLANs you have set up.

You need to learn the difference between tagged and untagged. If you want to force a switch port into a VLAN you set it untagged. If you want to allow the device to decide which or all VLANs (in case of router) then you need to tag it with the VLANs you use.

i recommend you stop being poor and buy a real server rather than some shitbox that can't even do AES-NI

>One box with dual Xeon E5-2660v2s, 160GB RAM, 4x SSDs, 8x HDDs, 2x dual port10GbE NICs, a GPU and a RAID card. Second box is dual Xeon E5-2650s, 128GB RAM, 4x SSDs, 8x HDDs, 2x dual port 10GbE NICs, 2x HBAs. A switch and a couple APs.

Judging by that outdated garbage you just bought it cheap of boneyards and now think you are entitled to bragging rights, pretending you bought it brand new.

Nice delusions, lmao.

no its worth "more than your car"
yeah right.

Their fork:

opnsense.org/about/about-opnsense/

I've had that shit for years you tard. Here is a old screenshot of mine with server 2012

No plans to kill their user base like pfsense did.

forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=5097.0

> "In short: no, we do and will not restrict our releases to certain CPU requirements other than phasing out all of i386 in the long run (maybe around FreeBSD 12, but it's still negotiable)."

>all these butthurt ayymdfags

AMD has AES-NI.

In other news when are we getting rid of this illiterate spic?

Hmm, interesting. What would be the simplest setup regarding software setting up:

1 VM on a VLAN
1 VM non-physical Router

Like I mentioned, i'm running proxmox. :)

Is there any straight good forward material regarding this subject on the net? Thanks.

theres a reason he doesnt use a trip

>Is there any straight good forward material regarding this subject on the net?
google intervlan routing

i shall never be filtered. also not a spic but a slav

So did I write something wrong?
Apparently the command was not found.
It is my first time doing something in the shell, did not need to before.
Also I am using a qwertz keyboard which makes this a bit annoying to input.

What would be good ways to keep checking temps and consume on a headless server? I already has nom and htop to check it from time by time, but I would like to learn more.

What is the problem with those xeons?
I am thinking about getting something like that for my home use aswell.

he is angry that other people have nice things when all he has is a RasPi

don't follow guides blindly. # is not a command. echo is. The # in the guide just means you paste echo and everything after into the command line. tho pasting stuff from a website is dangerous. paste it into a text editor first to make sure what you copied only includes the shown text, and not a bunch of other stuff. The first pasted line worked fine (no error).

Heh, my server is housed in an desktop atx mid tower case with a das storage unit cause I ran outta internal bays. got it and all my network gear/cables + coax all setup in a corner of my basement. my server backup device is also in my basement but placed up high so if for some reason the basement floods least my data will be safe. Cables all look like shit ran the way they do but fuck it, it's a storage room, nothing there worth gawking at anyway.

So this worked right?

If that is so how do I input the last part with the dialup and so on

I managed to shove 18 3.5" in my Fractal XL and could add another two.

>So what would you recommend I replace pfSense with?
IPFire distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ipfire

I guess I coulda rigged up some extra cages but at the time I was also considering case temps.lol excessive heat and healthy drives don't really mix.

Replying to
I load balance the rpis. Have a docker swarm setup.

I wish I had the space, money and good network upstream to set up a server. Sadly, I have none of those.

Lurking tho.

I will have to see how temps are.
So far I am still working on it.
The LSI 9201-16 is getting hotter than I expected, that is why I am not putting a low rpm Noctua below it to blow directly onto the heat sink, worked wonders.
Before you could leave your hand on it for one or two minutes, but it was hot, now it is chill.

lm_sensors

The most important part of any backup system, other than having a good working backup, is the backup software itself. If it (the software) gets lost,damaged,etc, your whole backup is potentially worthless cause you cannot access it/restore it. So there goes your ability to restore your server os/applications and the ability to restore all your server's data if your server suffers a hardware failure or some other nasty thing.

postan

Reminder that disks make mistakes, rot, and fail miserably. HDDs SSDs doesn't matter.
Use an advanced filesystem whenever you can.

No not APFS.

Its such bullshit, they have hardware ECC dumbass

Its usually all the ZFS dirty hair hippies that spread this shit

echo just prints whatever arguments you give it to standard output
you probably wanted echo on>/etc/ttys

honestly if you don't understand these basic concepts use something a bit more user friendly until you get the hang of it

actually just looked at the guide
open /etc/ttys with nano and 'change off to on and dialup to vt100 for the ttyu0 entry'

this looks decent as a beginners guide
ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
see tutorial 3 for this

Yeah this user's right. Modern hdds have EEC built in so combined with RAID + UPS + Backup, your data will be safe from almost anything. (Acts of God or if some fuck steals your shit don't apply).

quit spreading bullshit
some hdds have error recovery control, but definitely not all of them
zfs is still useful on those drives that do

All HDDs have ECC cache although that user is retarded for other reasons. Unrecoverable error rates are specified in datasheets. It is also why enterprise class disks cost so much more and why all the poorfags here shill ZFS, because they bought shitty low end desktop class disks with 10e14 error rates.

Software > Hardware.

The future is software. Thats why Ceph and Openstack are dominating the IT scene. You can and should use cheap replaceable parts wherever you can because it doesn't matter anymore.

good luck installing your OS on object storage and making REST calls every time you want to access a file.

Do you even know what object storage is for?

>openstack
nigger no one here needs some multitenancy solution with telemetry for billing customers.

you're just spouting memes to larp that you somehow belong here

The tips are good as they are but add IPFire as a distro for firewalls and YaCy and Searx as a self-hosted search engine software.

Anyone else feels like RAID is so misused is becoming just a buzzword? I have a hard time looking for a real reason to use one of type of RAID but seems like everyone is mistaking it for a backup when is not and this is the only reason they use it for in personal servers.

So i have a cluster online (50 nodes) that i'd like to control all at once simultaneously, I've looked into several options such as clusterSSH, python fabric and even pconsole. the main issue I'm having is getting the several SSH keys i have for the nodes to work. python fabric seems to be the best way but for some reason im not able to get it to read from a file containing the hosts and the path to keyfiles. and i cant seem to figure out a way to have an interactive console. maybe im just a faggot though. any insights?

Anyway to limit per-host egress bandwidth with LEDE?

Ansible, salt. Maybe stackstorm.

What's the minimum CPU needed if I don't want to run into any problems with plex media server? Is an i3 overkill?

They recommend an i3 as minimum:
support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200375666-Plex-Media-Server-Requirements?mobile_site=true

Tge reasons for RAID are pretty simple. You want one big virtual storage device (with throughput added from each member). And you probably are using it for redundancy so that one or two or more drives failing don't require you to grab your backup.

Silly me, all 3 of those are perfect for my situation. Thanks!

Went looking for home server related and found this guy youtube.com/watch?v=OzPX17jM8r0
He explains why he went on using virtual environments and how to set proxmox. Pretty reasonable not to swap between operating systems if you handle completely different uses. The logic seems solid to me.

No problem.

Yeah, to clarify that is perfect for websites and services where is critical to be up at all times. The cost of maintenance is just not worth it for personal servers using backups.

How cheap can I make a Plex media server? Was looking around a $300 build.

Thoughts on this? This will be used with Plex to transcode 1080p anime. I've noticed that some files I had were in 10bit which I've heard need a higher CPU requirement.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/H3nY3F

$200 or so without transcoding.

With transcoding it still matters what you transcode TO, but I'd say more like $400+ for something that works.

PS: Non transcoding is IMO more interesting anyhow, just about every $50 or so chinese snartphone and htpc can handle 1920x1080 video, at around ~$100 its probably 4k hevc already. Maybe less, actually.

Probably not enough to transcode 10bit 1080p to 8bit 1080p on demand.

Easy solution though, just get 8bit releases or transcode ahead of time or get a playback device that can handle 10bit 1080p (decode is easier than transcode, a decent ARM smartphone or ARM/x86 htpc can handle it )

if i go for 8bit/1080p, 10bit/720p can i get a weaker cpu? (how bad is it if i just scrape the whole NAS build and just make my current workstation run 24/7?)

> If i go for 8bit/1080p, 10bit/720p can i get a weaker cpu?
The earlier then shouldn't require transcoding on any halfway competent playback device and the latter ... still won't work as such, but sure enough it's easier on a CPU to encode 8bit 720p.

But again: Have you given thought that INSTEAD of making your HTPC fat and power hungry transcoding monster, you could just use a halfway reasonable playback device (HTPC, mobile phone, whatever... that can play back whatever it needs to play back without the server transcoding it prior)?
Because you can pretty damn easily get those.

>how bad is it if i just scrape the whole NAS build and just make my current workstation run 24/7
Again, depends on the exact settings, resolution and so on. And again, I do not entirely see WHY you need to go down this route. Is this going to be some semi-public media hub thing where people will spontaneously connect their crappiest smartphone and their psp and their and it just needs to be able to transcode to everything?

this whole setup is mainly just for myself when i want to watch stuff on my tablet(nvidia shield k1) in bed or through my ps4 on my tv. My phone is a LG G3 btw. I know Plex has something called direct play but im worried if all my devices will be compatible with it.

I think the nvidia shield should be able to handle 10bit 1080p without transcoding (probably in software rather than the GPU, but whatever). You could just test it with a corresponding file and mpv?

No clue about the LG G3, but my 2 generations old $150 chinkphone has no issue

And if the PS4's video player software is too dumb to handle it (it definitely should have more than enough raw processing power), you could just get a $30+ SBC or HTPC thing that can.

>no discord
>no irc to replace discord
>no mention of the wiki
>shitty pastebins instead
i meant to post this last night, owell

your sentence doesnt even make sense
besides, sbcs are perfectly adequate for a lot of things

$30 SBCs cannot decode 10bit 1080p h264
which phone do you have that can

>no irc to replace discord
I didn't like the discord and I don't use IRC. So if you want IRC, as someone suggested, beiong this a homeserver general, host it by yourself.

>no mention of the wiki
The user who were working on the wiki said it wasn't ready afaik.

>shitty pastebins instead
They bothered to sumarize everything and put it in same place.

>host it by yourself.
Just use rizon/freenode/whatever

> $30 SBCs cannot decode 10bit 1080p h264
Hm, I thought the RK3229 S905 ... generation of chips could, but apparently I was wrong (for the earlier, it seems in the specs of various devices but doesn't usually seem to work with Kodi and stuff people want to use...?).

I guess it's more the $60+ successors and alternatives then.

> which phone do you have that can
Redmi Note 3.

I second this, rizon and freenode are sure to be here for a long time.

What is the worst RJ45 protector and why is it pic related?

Is OpenVPN still having that big fuck up it had like one month or two ago?

If I have a shitty entry-level UPS with no communications link to my computer, is there any possibility for the box to detect that the power went out and it should shut down gracefully?

Fuck that thing

specs ?

You could connect a power sensor to the grid directly, but that's not a common setup.

Generally you just have an UPS that can tell the PC how much power it has remaining in some way.

doesn't even the most basic UPS have a USB or serial port?

Older and/or cheap consumer models sometimes don't. There's also the situation where the UPS has such a communication link, but it only works with their special driver. Which may not work on your version of windows, or may only work on windows but you're running linux.

turns out anything with subtitles has to be transcoded anyway with the PS4 plex app. goddammit. only my old mp4s and avi videos do direct play,

this program is fucking amazing.

spaces, other special chars and upper case in filenames make me sick

legit question. why? i guess underscores are easier when using command line but i dont understand the other points. everything lowercase looks uglier and the "-" is to separate from the series name & episode number.

should i pin mod my lga 775 mb to fit a 771 xeon inside?
im currently using a e2200 and its been fine so far but i wanna get into encoding and dowloading. Besides 771 socket xeons are pretty cheap nowadays.

A Q9550 and other quad core LGA775 processors are also cheap. It's up to you.

The issue is that I never needed this before.
Booting without GPU just worked.