How on earth did AMD become the only choice for Linux users?

How on earth did AMD become the only choice for Linux users?

Pic very much related.

Other urls found in this thread:

swaywm.org/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mesa173-dc-nv&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=civ-vi-radeonsi&num=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nvidia not even trying and Intel's laughable excuse for a GPU

>loonix

Found your problem.

>And proprietary driver users have the gall to reward Nvidia for their behavior by giving them hundreds of dollars for their GPUs, then come to me and ask me to deal with their bullshit for free. Well, fuck you, too. Nvidia users are shitty consumers and I don’t even want them in my userbase.

Found your problem.

so what is sway?
I have only had problems with every single ati card I ever had and never wit nvidia for linux so
idk where the author is coming from

>so what is sway?

swaywm.org/

Unfortunately my crippling addiction to proprietary video games forces me to use the proprietary Nvidia driver on GNU plus Linux.

>proprietary Nvidia driver
Begins onsly good graphics driver

you are probably running normal linux and not a gnu distribution of you managed to get the official driver running (not to mention games) senpai

Every few years I buy a new AMD GPU just to see if the open drivers are fast enough. Returned it every time and got an Nvidia.
The new open AMDGPU drivers work well but they're still slower.
Will try again in 1 or 2 years

Vega should have really good GPU performance on Linux.
Lemme check.

Debian GNU/Linux unstable + proprietary Nvidia driver or, short, Debian+GNU+Linux+nVidia

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mesa173-dc-nv&num=2

Pretty close to the Windows driver, things can only get better.

eat shit and die nvidiot

nice benchmark from 3 years ago

AMD's OGL performance used to be hilariously bad, they've really done a great job.

Nvidia is the only good choice for Linux, OP is a fucking faggot trying to stir up shit

No one cares about open source driver garbage

>LOONIX USERS CANT PULL 60FPS IN GAMES

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE STATE OF LINKEKS

>become
was it so much different before?

>3 years ago
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=civ-vi-radeonsi&num=2

Nvidia's 2D is buggy as shit, that's before you have to worry about kernel and X compatibility.

Honestly I can't wait to replace my Nvidia laptop for a Intel CPU/GPU or AMD APU even though both will be far slower than a 965M I currently have.

you too need to eat shit and die

So you use paraview?

>Wayland
Irrelevant. If you are going to use such an alpha stack you night as well use the free drivers.

>literally shows windows pulling 60FPS

>an alpha stack
>Default in Gnome for Ubuntu 17.10 and Fedora 26
Sure, very alpha.

>with a 1080
It's the game, doofus. It's not like its a fps or anything.

>Sway is tiling Wayland compositor
>tiling

Meanwhile lincucks can only pull 34 frames with similar hardware

ABSOLUTE STATE

>10 years old stack is still alpha

>laptop
Get the fuck out.

Works on my machine™

Linux users are not worth the effort and Nvidia knows it.

>with similar hardware
With drivers made by the manufacturers of that hardware. This isn't Linux's fault you doofus. Why do you think people are complaining?

I have no choice but to use Nvidia. Torch, tensorflow, theano, etc. All the good deep learning libraries are written in Cuda sadly. Nvidia is actually holding back AI progress a bit by charging ridiculous sums for server GPUs and sabotaging the consumer ones.

>Opening post with a wall-of-text in an image
what a faggot.

I can't even switch to Wayland on the desktop because Nvidia refuses to get their shit together.

>why don't they pour resources and cater to this practically non existent group of autists

What the fuck is this? My 1080 gets 60fps 4k max settings with all AA turned off in Civ 6 and is only at 70% utilization.

>Linux users are not worth the effort and Nvidia knows it.
rude!

>t. nvidiot

>Goyvidea
Found your problem

Actually I am not sure this is true. With the DeepLearning meme research labs and companies are buying Nvidia GPU’s basically as fast as they can make them. I wouldn’t be surprised if the enterprise marketshare is eclipsing the gaming community. Most of the people that do work on Nvidia graphics cards run linux. Although that also means people are getting paid to desl with nvidias proprietary bullshit. If only AMD had s competitive alternative....

i switched to an amd card because i was sick of the nvidia proprietary driver
nowadays the free radeon driver is as fast as the proprietary one, unlike the nouveau, which is stuck without reclocking for most cards, and is only getting worse as nvidia is now signing their firmwares