Homemade Apple CPUs are at this point on par with old (4y) desktop Intel chips and newer Intel mobile chips

Homemade Apple CPUs are at this point on par with old (4y) desktop Intel chips and newer Intel mobile chips.
Why won't Apple just put their CPU in their Macbooks Air for example? All they have to do is port OSX to ARM.

Other urls found in this thread:

geekbench.com/doc/geekbench4-cpu-workloads.pdf
theregister.co.uk/2015/10/06/linix_kernel_dev_who_asked_linus_torvalds_to_stop_swearing_quits_over_swearing/
youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pic related is A10 chip btw, current A11 chip is 60% more powerful.

That's not how it works. The A10 fusion chip which is like what, 5w is not on par with a fucking Xeon from 2013.

This is how we know you're a brainlet subhuman technology illiterate.

>applebench

This is why mactoddlers are universally regarded as technologically illiterate morons.

Your fagOS phone with 200% faster applebench score gets UTTERLY BTFO by a """"""slower""""" SD835 phones in every metric.

delete this OP so the world doesn't see how retarded you and Matt Mariska are

I have a medium-old rig running a ~3-4year old i5-4590. There is no way in fuck that an a10 chip is as powerful.

I can run both LR and PS on mine and the only thing that will throttle my production of basic edits is the RAM.

I didn't suggest putting Apple mobile chips in servers, you dumb negroids.
I suggested putting them inside cheapest line of laptops Apple runs.

A10 has hardware acceleration and the benchmark uses it
The desktop CPU has to so the same thing in software only

Aple has a history of mental gymnastics during benchmarks

>geekbench again

>I suggested putting them inside cheapest line of laptops Apple runs.

They already tried that.

A10 is such a collosal pile of shit it can't even handle a 2GB OS and a year of updates without lagging like shit.

When's the last time you saw an Intel or AMD system do this shit? I'll wait.

cont.

Think about it this way, you brainlet, if the A10 is "as powerful as a 4 year old desktop chip", and the A11 is even more powerful, why don't they just put those faggots in MacBook/pro, considering they draw 1/3 of the power as the regular shitty mobile chip in them now yet "have the same performance"

Better let Apple know your findings, they'll be thrilled to improve battery life by such a large margin.

geekbench.com/doc/geekbench4-cpu-workloads.pdf

Micro workloads could fit on CPU cache.

All modern CPUs have hardware acceleration. For most of the tests that Geekbench does that are hardware accelerated, like AES, the scores are greatly scaled down.

But that still doesn't mean you can compare ARM scores with x86. No matter what the makers say. The test favors smaller architectures like mobile ARM.

>lagPad can't even handle one finger touch typing speed

This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs was still alive.
It's totally software issue.

>le stebe wooden had led dis habben maymay

Jobs was a fucking moron. Literally all he did his entire "career" was scream "make this so easy even someone as fucking stupid as i am can use it!!!" and "i don't like this color!!!"

If it was actually more powerful, they would.

HINT HINT

The GTX 1080 is thousands of times as powerful as the latest i7 cpus at the furmark benchmark. Why don't we just replace cpus with gpus?

And, guess what, it worked.

>Homemade
You mean play legos with ARM's existing portfolio and say "make us this combination of your products".

Make THIS
*unzips*

To Apple's credit, their ARM cores are fully custom from ground up as opposed to Qualcomm's Kryo 280/260 which are modified versions of ARM Cortex-A73 reference designs.

AMD and INTEL BTFO. x86 is kill.

I wasn't talking about putting them anywhere you fucking mongoloid woodyposter. All I said was that that Fusion chip is not on par with a xeon from 2013. That's all I said. Try getting some reading comprehension.

>by a """"""slower""""" SD835 phones in every metric.

>a slower SD 835 phones

Hi panjeet.

Each new A-Series chip is a totally different architecture, each release is a major change instead of tweaks or rehashes of older CPUs.

This is what iToddler brainlets actually believe.

No, ARM has three tracks for A-series cores, energy-efficient core (e.g. A53, A55), high-performance 1 (e.g. A72), and high-performance 2 (e.g. A73).

Each track is developed at different research centre. ARM decided to have two interleaving tracks for high-performance cores because they found they need at least 2 years for meaningful design upgrade, but customers expect full core refresh every 12 months.

>let me just post the same canned shitpost response because I have nothing of substance to say

Why are you even here? All you do is post 'itoddler' or mimic the previous poster's reply. You know jack shit bout nothing, much less A-Series history. Neck yourself.

Why did you make this about Thinkpads???

>iToddler technophobe thinks he'll ever belong on Sup Forums

Fuck off back to /r/eddit.

before they port osx to arm they should use raven ridge in their current line up

I have four (4) MacBooks

>macfags keep posting these scores acting like these devices are fast

>12 months later "my iphone is running slowly since updating to iOS 12 which adds no features to my device"

>meanwhile 5 year old PC or mac is running fine on current OS

really
activates
the
old
almonds

>$1700
>worth bragging about

>welfare queen
racist misogynist scum

Thanks for proving my point, you retarded street shitter. Eat shit and die.

Where do technology phobic appletoddler troglodytes get the false impression that they or their babby fruit toys are welcome much less belong on a tech board?

yeah and it worked.

he hired this ex army hardass for quality assurance his policy was if it isn't perfect it doesn't go into the product until it is. yeah some features were a few months later than the shitty windows version but when it came out it was worth the wait because winfags were BTFO every time

wow.

you just mad that he woke

Geekbench is a subsidiary of Apple

>the delusional state of mactoddlers

How much of a pain in the ass would that be though? The transition from PowerPC to Intel was pretty rough.

There's the a75 now :~)

No surprises really.

Processor with high number of cores and threads have low single threaded performance.

Why do people try to prove how much they hate Apple? Do you think people will recognize you for being a computer wizard or something?

The ironic part is that most of these people are using Windows, the most locked down OS you can use on a desktop computer.

dunno what you're talking about desu

Aside from the benchmark complaints. You would have to port all osx to arm v and all C applications currently written for x86 or 64 would have to be rewritten as well.
When Apple moved from ppc to x86 they were moving to a more popular platform. Moving to arm would be moving to a less popular platform.

>written for x86 or 64 would have to be rewritten as well.
They already run on iOS

Don't worry neither does it. Its an AI anti-apple shitpost-bot. Notice it just keeps repeating the same sentences with modifications each time.

x86-64 license most probably, they don't have it.

cute

>Linus
>Worth listening to
Honestly he's worse than RMS. At least Stallman expresses moral judgements on tech, Linus makes technological ones that don't really stand up (like, Gnome 3 unusable? Seriously?).

And btw you can see how good those CPU are in every benchmark, not only Geekbench.

I'd say in their Macbook line though, as it basically replaced the Macbook Air line.

Gnome 3 is pretty much unusable out of the box tho and he's a guy who wants shit to just werk

It's not exactly correct to say the test favors ARM, it's that it's designed to test ARM and so it doesn't include various instruction sets available on x86.

Anyone who actually believes an ARM core can touch an x86 core in terms of raw performance has no idea what they're talking about. Performance per watt might be more competitive, but AMD's new laptop chips are looking pretty nice; 15W for a high-end quadcore? We can possibly expect 2ghz dual cores with 3.6ghz turbo at ~8W? And if you don't stress the iGPU, how low will the power consumption end up? I am intrigued.

>geekjews

because it's RISC and not CISC

No, iPhone apps already run on iOS. There is a TON of osx software that has never been ported

What's so unusable out of the box?
You can press super and type the program you want to run's name which is comfy af and not even XFCE has it. You can push super to have all your windows on screen. You can do the same with putting your mouse in the top left corner if that's your thing. You have Super+D shortcut for desktop. You have alt+tab with all the customization you want. You have a sidebar with all your favorite apps. The only lame thing is that minimize buttons are hidden by default but it's not a big deal to open tweak tool and select "unhide".

That's why he was a good leader, not that I liked him a single bit, but truth be told.

Linus says gnome 3 is unusable for him. He doesn't endorse any one desktop or distro over another since it would he a conflict of interest. He has lately been jumping back and forth between gnome and KDE but KDE is his comfort zone.

>Gnome 3
the dude doesn't use gnome or even an ubuntu-based distro you dehydrated shrimp

What?! Are you even aware that the original iPhone demo he did had to be done with 3-4 different iPhones being rebooted while he's using another one to hide how they were lagfest in seconds, and had to do everything in a specific order to keep it from outright crashing.

At least Linus is not a fucking bigot and knows what the fuck he's taking about. Stallman is just an old deluded autistic manbaby that loves to preach his bullshit.

What's comfy for you is not comfy for everyone. Personally I see no point in reinventing the wheel and redesigning the GUI. Menu, taskbar, button works and has worked for years and no one has shown any evidence that these new guis increase productivity. One day they will change the gnome 3 desktop to a new GUI in gnome 4 and you're going to say "there was nothing wrong with gnome 3!" And someone will tell you all the benefits of gnome 4 and tell you it's comfy af

>C applications currently written for x86 or 64 would have to be rewritten as well.
Recompiled certainly, but not rewritten necessarily, and likely a matter of adjusting a few details here and there rather than being a complete rewrite. It's C, not assembly.

When the PowerPC to x86 transition first started, plenty of developers mentioned that they could just open their source in the new version of XCode, compile, and the program worked just fine on x86.

This. They should just replace the whole system with a graphics card. I mean, it's a processor, RAM, and video output device.... Slap a WiFi and Bluetooth chip on there for net and inputs and some NAND flash nonviolatile memory and BAM. Super tiny, low power computer that can run any video game at ultra.

You're welcome, computer industry. I await my shekels.

>Dell, HP, Lenovo, et al BTFO

He used it some time in the past and whined about how unusable it was for him special snowflake

>iFag calling someone else a poo in loo when iPhone SE is made in India

Stay classy, brainlet iToddler

If it's written portably but for some reason developers are allergic to maintaining multiple platforms for operating systems or architecture. Hell, look at how many apps are written without source modification with shit like unity but people will still only compile it for one or two platforms.

except all these things you said are in Gnome 3 if you just turn them on. Gnome 3 is perfect cause it lets you customize everything to make it perfect for you workflow-wise, even with just the pre-included options.

Stallman made the GNU licenses which made a miracle in making Free Software a sustainable world and not just something greedy people would steal from (**cough** BSD **cough**). His achievements are something that will endure past the GNU/Linux Operative system, plus the Linux kernel wouldn't be anything without the GNU part. What everyone wants and uses on other OSes are often the GNU parts like GCC, not the ones Linus made. Also Linus supports GitHub and their stupid SJW politics (I'm not against being inclusive, but I'm against giving someone the job just because they're part of a diversity), how's that less "bigot" than Stallman?

>OS not giving CPU time to keyboard for five seconds is the CPU's fault
You're just pretending to be retarded, right?

To be fair, Apple does the same to their other devices too, they just wait a lot longer because of the investment cost. 2009 intel Macs are just now reaching the point of being unsupported for 10.13, but anything over 10.10 runs nightmarishly slow anyway. They still pull the "make the device run like ass to get half of the people to upgrade, then a couple years later drop updates altogether and FORCE the remaining holdouts to upgrade" just on a longer timeframe because they know someone paying $3000 for a computer won't put up with it shitting the bed after their two year Apple Care runs out.

That being said, though, see pic related. Given that was like three CPU generations ago, it doesn't seem unreasonable at all that they might have caught up by now.

Because they aren't.

Go do 10-bit HEVC software encoding on that 1337 apple chip and then on a desktop i7.

>core m

True, but for the most part it's not beyond developers to go from Mac with CPU A to Mac with CPU A or B for a while and then Mac with CPU B. It worked out okay in the 68k to PPC transition and it worked out okay in the PPC to x86 transition, no reason it couldn't work out in an x86 to ARM transition.

Which isn't to say I think desktop/laptop ARM is particularly practical on the whole, but the difficulty isn't in porting programs.

>Why won't Apple just put their CPU in their Macbooks Air for example?
Because of software compatibility, obviously. They wouldn't go around switch CPU architectures unless the replacement were better by a large enough margin to be worth the conversion headaches.

Also Linus may be even more unbearable than RMS in person: theregister.co.uk/2015/10/06/linix_kernel_dev_who_asked_linus_torvalds_to_stop_swearing_quits_over_swearing/

So what? Are you saying that the A9X is not thermally constrained?

The same thing could be said of KDE. Except you don't want to screw with KDE to make it perform like gnome 3 and gnome 3 users don't want to screw with gnome 3 to make it work like KDE. Besides, the addons for gnome 3 gnome has not been paying attention to and said they don't care about maintaining them. So basically you are telling people that it is OK to deal with breakage.

According to Eric Raymond, Linus intentionally surrounds himself with people at conventions to avoid accusations.

>he doesn't respect people's feelings
>some people may feel uncomfortable with him
Are you actually a woman?

>Sarah Sharp
>Sarah

Back when they transitioned from the Motorola chipset to ppc it was a different time. Pretty much everyone was programming in c languages anyways and there wasn't huge software businesses. Especially software businesses with years and years of unmaintained code.

Everything ran in an m68k emulator (including Mac OS classic) when they switched to powerpc

Yeah, imagine trying to run everything in an x86 emulator while transitioning to arm.

>Yeah, imagine trying to run everything in an x86 emulator while transitioning to arm.

youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

What breakage? You just have to go into tweak tool and toggle "menu bars" on and stuff like that.

Her being a woman doesn't change the fact that being a dick isn't cool

Linus isn't a dick, though. He's really just honest.

afaik Linus doesn't like Github.

youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY

>but the difficulty isn't in porting programs
Just because it can be done doesn't mean there isn't extra work involved in it. It's likely that there are small and subtle bugs that might pop up just because of it, or whatnot. If ARM were substantially better than x86 that might be worth it, but if it's just tangential, there's no point in dealing with even the tiniest of problems.

>the difficulty isn't with porting programs
Windows RT would like a word with you

>Respect should be earned
Then let me not respect him as he did nothing to deserve it.

thistbhfam

That's basically how it is for Sup Forums.

Nobody respects appletoddlers.