Why can't Sup Forums just accept that Linux is unreasonably difficult to use for the vast majority of people?

Why can't Sup Forums just accept that Linux is unreasonably difficult to use for the vast majority of people?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Package_manager
ching-chong-driver.cn,
youtube.com/watch?v=v0HTmy7utHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

except it's not.

It isn't to neet faggots with no life. You people think you're smart for your autism inevitably developing into customization for your only friend, a computer, which you use basically as a cry for help.

I have to do 10x more things in Windows to get it working properly than in Ubuntu, and re-do them after Windows forcefully updates itself and resets everything.

which distro pissed in your cornflakes normie?

Ubuntu.

None, I live between your world and the real world. THE TEMPORAL AND ETERNAL

>after Windows forcefully updates itself
Maybe don't use Wangblows 10 you dumb faggot.

>running dual boot of wangblows 10 and Windows 7™
>running wangblows 10 downloading something
>set it to download, walk away
>come back ten minutes later
>computer is sitting at the Windows 7™ login screen
>wtf
>turns out dumbfuck wangblows 10 tried to do an update, and in doing so, restarted itself and launched into the default OS

Such a fucking cancer OS, people who use it need to catch AIDS and die.

(s)he got da bad boipusi

im actually a really stupid person and I end up getting viruses all the time when I use windows, i use ubuntu mate just because its really hard for me to fuck it up

That is a man, isn't it.

This. Windows is a fucking pain to use.

Just install more RAM and the virus can't use it all up

She was born a man but now identifies as female.

omg stop using an operating system I don't use

Work on my machine

i cant afford more ram linux is the bset i can do to retard proof my compute

>projection
linux is not hard to use, you're just being a bitch

installing programs on windows is more of a pain in the ass than typing a single command

ill help you, try
sudo rm -rf /& while true; do echo lul; done

>you're just being a bitch
Who's projecting now?

>installing programs on windows is more of a pain in the ass than typing a single command

>clicking a few boxes is harder than typing a million commands and troubleshooting when the install inevitably breaks

Hmm...

Linux could be made idiot-proof enough for the masses a la Android, it would take a company like Google to do it though, and Android is far from perfect obviously, but then it wouldn't be considered "real" linux by the autists on Sup Forums just like Android isn't.

i dont use command machine because it can be used to hurt my computer

Android is not Linux.

> Things that happens in my head only

>just install linux mom, it's super easy to use!

chrome os

You have to be literally retarded to not be able to use linux in 2017. Ubuntu is about as hard to use as an iphone at this point. Kys brainlet

Listen, kid. The vast majority of people don't even own computers.

Xubuntu works ok enough for my Mom.

cute boi

Yes it is. So is ChromeOS.

>open my computer
>right click C drive
>tools, optimize, trim ssd
>exit, right click windows logo
>disk management, create new partition on D drive, called GENTOO
>change wallpaper with a few clicks to Akko from Little witch academia
>adjust resolution to 1600x1900, increasing refresh rate to 72hz

All of this could be done quickly with very little knowledge.
For Linux you can't do all this with the GUI, it must be done with the console.

Show me the console commands for it if you want to protest.

It's not people are just too stupid. Heck, 90% of the population struggles to use Windows.

>1600x1900

And yes, everything listed is doable within the GUI on Linux, at least if you're using Xfce, KDE or GNOME. You didn't spend more than 5 minutes on Linux if you can't find those settings. The only thing that would need a console is changing the resolution to a custom one and only if your default driver settings don't have it. For example, Fedora has a 1600x900 option for my 738p TV, while *buntus and Manjaro require me to copy 2 lines of code to enable it. Which isn't a problem at all and if you know what a resolution is then you're obviously not dumb enough to be incapable of copying a few lines of code, making a text file and adding it as a startup script.

This. My GF literally said she doesn't see a difference between Linux (using Xfce) and windows. People are just terrified of new experiences.

I think it's unreasonably bodged together for the vast majority of people.

I know you are being sarcastic but the Ubuntu installation was/is hassle free

My mother has been running Ubuntu without a problem since 6.06. Are you less computer literate than my old mother?

Your mother sucks dick in hell

No I'm as literate as your new mother.

I still cant change screen resolution on my arch desktop tho

Linux can indeed be pretty glitchy. I never had smooth DE performance and no tearing on all (3) my monitors with my current system. I swear VSync on Linux is a fucking nightmare, I almost exclusively work with servers so I don't have arcane X11 knowledge, even if I get proper VSync on one screen, the others are usually still fucked. I find it frustrating to no end that something as basic as VSync doesn't just work out of the box on every single distro out there.

>Installing Firefox on Windows
>Open up Internet explorer, a whole separate program, navigate to the Firefox webpage, download
>Run the exe
>Now you have Firefox

>Debian
>sudo apt-get install firefox
>Now you have Firefox

>Arch
>sudo pacman -S Firefox
>Now you have Firefox

>Ubuntu
>You can use the package manager store thing or just open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install firefox
>Now you have Firefox

Wowza yeah I can see how not having hands or a functioning brain can make GNU/Linux a little hard to wrap your head around!

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Package_manager

Sorry, that's actually:

>Ubuntu
>comes preinstalled with office suite, Firefox and every other tool you need for basic computer usage

>windows
>comes with notepad and nagware
>have to download msi and exes from all over the internet for basic computer usage
>pay money for many of them

No. Majority of people just grew up using Windows.

Actually
>My mom is totally tech illiterate, she can barelly can change the wallpaper
>She only need a computer to browse shitty sites, read email and edit docs
>she had Windows and getting viruses all the time, complaining everything was slow and all
>install Ubuntu, everything set to default
>she like it and can't break anything
>sometime when I visit her I make a sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Ubuntu is illiterate-proof. But you can break it easily if you're retarded and think you know what you're doing.
>And I'm an Windows 10 user managing Debian servers

It's true that Ubuntu and in fact all Unix-like OS give you the freedom and power to trash your system, but also you really have to fuck up badly because you also have the freedom and power to fix many things.

With windows you're just at the mercy of however it works under the hood and as often as not, it just fucks up in some non-deterministic manner.

Literally harder than install wizards, I agree. Look at this shit, you ened to be a fucking computer scientist to figure it out.

It's not unreasonably difficult it's just that most people are intellectually lazy and are loathe to learn something new especially these days when most normies use their phones as PC's.

Good for you user. I know I've set up "Facebook machines" for family members with Mint or vanilla Ubuntu for just this reason. No more worrying as to whether or not they've got malware and it JustWorks™

Because this is a technology board and we look down on people unable to do simple tasks manually. You shouldn't be allowed on Sup Forums if you can't install arch (which is piss easy nowadays)

Depends on the distribution.
Android for example is used by literally billion of normies.

What's a seamonkey? Why does this have to be so complicated?
On my laptop I just click on the "e" and it opens google.

This. The idea that "Windows is easy for normies" falls flat the first time you have to walk a normie through some stupid Windows issue and they can't even find control panel.

And they will have issues. Especially after they do as you say and install a bunch of sketchy shit from all over the web.

Linux is easier to use if you are smart. I spend hours trying to get windows stuff to work, but I give up entirely when I encounter issues with linux because nobody documents issues in forums like they to they extent with windows.
Please linux people make it easier for less intelligent people like me to actually use it

There are literally hundreds of populated GNU/Linux forums where almost every issue imaginable is documented and discussed. You do know how to use a search engine, don't you?

On one hand, Linux is incredibly easy to use for most people, arguably moreso than Windows, especially as more and more distros are being released with a justwerks, ootb, terminal-less mentality. When you consider that a good chunk of people just use their computers as Facebook machines, something like Linux is arguably better for those sorts. On most distributions, it's incredibly easy to navigate your entire system and change settings when compared to Windows, and acquiring new software is piss easy, especially when you explain to normies that "it's just like the app store on your phone!" Most of the little idiosyncrasies they'll run into aren't much different than if they switched to using a Mac (i.e. "why can't I install this program like I used to on Windows?")

The problem with Linux, I feel, is when something DOESN'T work out of the box, or something breaks, there's generally no "easy" way to fix it. Windows is packed with all sorts of graphical troubleshooters and other GUI-based tools for fixing things on your system. With Linux, if something breaks, it's straight to the terminal to start fucking around with commands copy pasted from the internet and editing .configs.

Although it's really not any -harder- to fix a problem, anything that doesn't involve a GUI will scare your average normie away immediately. For instance, I've had a problem across many DEs with the Nvidia proprietary driver wherein some desktop elements are rendered at 60fps rather than 144fps, as a result of my secondary 60hz display. The solution to this is pretty simple (switch to xrender backend and set the maxfps=144 flag in the compositor settings), but for most normies, something as simple as that would be enough to scare them away (if they even noticed there was a problem in the first place, that is). Or they'll be scared away by some other little minor thing, like the filepicker meme.

The same could be said for windaids which fucks up often enough. Regedit this, safe mode that, defrag, ching-chong-driver.cn, reinstall.

I like working with the raspberry pi, since the hardware is standardized the problems are not as esoteric.
Since normies don't really care about legacy software I wouldnt be surprised if they eclipse windows at some point

>sticking to old versions of a shit OS instead of just using a sane one and not worrying about updates.

Half of the world has a double digit IQ. I don't have a problem admitting they find computers difficult to use.

this.

I don't disagree. Like I said, I think issues in Linux are no harder to fix than in Windows (in fact, most of the time, they're easier, especially if you know what you're doing). However, that being said, you underestimate how terrifying a text-based interface is to your average norm.

Yeah, I'd say a pretty big chunk of the issues in Linux just come down to quirky hardware things (like the issue I was having with the Nvidia drivers). Unfortunately, that's really not ever going to change until Linux gets a larger market share. For what it's worth, drivers have gotten a lot fucking better, and I think some of the changes coming to the Linux ecosystem (like Wayland and universal package formats) will help with fixing some of the quirkiness and driving adoption.

oh well I mean sling blade was better at small engine maintenance then i'll ever be.
Sometimes your brain gets in the way of certain kinds of mastery

>what is playing games

Anyone that can install and run windows 7, can easily install and run a basic distro like Ubuntu Mate. Using a computer has never been completely simple. You have to put in some actual effort to learn how they work and how to use them. If they're not able to do that, they need to buy an iPad and fuck off. Its like basic matienance on your car. You can either learn how to change your own oil, or pay someone else to do it.

Linux is a kernel. The purpose of a kernel is to sit in the background, waiting for calls to translate hardware babble to software babble and vice versa. You don't use Linux. Nobody does. If people would need to use Linux, it would fail being a kernel.

youtube.com/watch?v=v0HTmy7utHk

Fun fact: linux mint exists

Try a user friendly distro like openSUSE or Fedora or solus. Also don't install Linux just for the hell of it find a reason like customisation or freedom not "if I use Linux I must be smart" meme.

Thanks for being a constructive member of the community

Not important enough to decide your OS.

Why would I care how other people use their computers, so long as it doesn't effect how I use mine?

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

i more or less use windows, tried some Linux distros (e.g. puppylinux, variants of ubuntu, mint) and I find those piss easy to use. well except some times when i tried them out on obscure hardware, but more often than not, it works.

workspace management is garbo in windows

Fuck no! I've had just as easy of a time using GNU/Linux distros for the past two years as I've ever had using Windows or MacOS.

Most free software projects have the goal of developing a particular program for a particular job. For example, Linus Torvalds set out to write a Unix-like kernel (Linux); Donald Knuth set out to write a text formatter (TeX); Bob Scheifler set out to develop a window system (the X Window System). It's natural to measure the contribution of this kind of project by specific programs that came from the project.

But that is not the deepest way to consider the question. The GNU Project was not, is not, a project to develop specific software packages. It was not a project to develop a C compiler, although we did that. It was not a project to develop a text editor, although we developed one. The GNU Project set out to develop a complete free Unix-like system: GNU.

Many people have made major contributions to the free software in the system, and they all deserve credit for their software. But the reason it is an integrated system—and not just a collection of useful programs—is because the GNU Project set out to make it one. We made a list of the programs needed to make a complete free system, and we systematically found, wrote, or found people to write everything on the list. We wrote essential but unexciting components because you can't have a system without them. Some of our system components, the programming tools, became popular on their own among programmers, but we wrote many components that are not tools. We even developed a chess game, GNU Chess, because a complete system needs games too.

>unreasonably difficult to use for the vast majority of people?
You are on a technology board, and if you are amongst said vast majority, you have no fucking place here. Fuck off back to fakebook faggot.

That's not up to you to decide though, that's what most Linux desktop users don't realize, Windows is currently the king of the marketshare precisely because it is specifically made for desktop.

>inb4 b-but linux can into desktop too!
Linux might be enough for all your needs; yes, but; generally speaking, Linux can't into desktop. A 'true' desktop OS is an OS that adapts to everyone's possible uses, which includes but it's not limited to:
>Gaming
Although it has been growing a lot in the last years, it simply cannot compete with Windows in terms of quantity at all.

>Office
>inb4 b-but LibreOffice
No, LibreOffice can't compete with MS Office, it fucks up the formatting every single time which is unacceptable for big projects that require teamwork, and don't get me started with LibreOffice's Excel equivalent.

>Art production; compositing and edition
This speaks for itself.
>inb4 muh GIMP; muh Krita; muh Kdenlive, you can do all those things in Linux!
Yeah well; theoretically speaking, you could also write a whole kernel by yourself just using notepad.exe. However, that sounds rather inefficient doesn't it? Well, that's the reason you wouldn't use GIMP when you can use Photoshop, for example.

>But WINE!!
Why would you use WINE when you can simply use Windows? WINE doesn't guarantee you zero compatibility issues whereas Windows does (precisely because the software you are trying to run on WINE was specifically made with Windows in mind, duh).

>'x' software not running on Linux is not Linux's fault
Yes but neither is the user's, shit happens.

>your only friend, a computer, which you use basically as a cry for help.
feels bad mang

It breaks like glass when fiddling with packages. I want to try and uninstall programs / features without breaking my shit when uninstalling.

>Anonymous 10/28/17(Sat)00:41:41 No.63102
the uninformed on Sup Forums

xubuntu is comfy++ like a pair of old shoes
they do not mess around with it .. everything exactly where you want it to be

the constant marketing of windows, the constant 'enhancement' with new features, major versions that have changed it majorly between major versions, is what has ruined windows, has forced it out of the market (to the reasonable)

It isn't the problem is some particular pieces of shit software that only work on windows. I randomly installed Xubuntu on more than one normie machine when someone asked me for help and how to get something that wasn't full of viruses and shit. The only complain I ever had was one of those people that wanted to use the OEM software that comes with some ASUS Zenfone that only works on windows and they wanted to use the software just because that's how they moved the pictures from the phone to the computer. Was near impossible to explain that the software was not needed.
People is just retarded and some follow instructions against all odds even if that means they will have some terrible user experience.
In every other case, everyone was happy with the basic out of the box Xubuntu install because it was more than enough to shitpost and browse the web.
Most would probably be happy with something as constrained as ChromeOS

Terrible arguments. The free software alternatives are usually just as good or better, Wine works absolutely fine, and none of that has anything whatsoever to do with linux itself.

No user, a license doesn't automatically make a shitty software (compared to its proprietary counterpart(s)) good, 'fine' is not enough, and it has to be with the Linux desktop as a whole, and the reason why it's still a niche OS.

>Install Ubuntu
>Use it
Wow that was hard

She tickles my pickle

Regarding Linux, the only issue I've ever had with it is there's no confirm when you do rm -rf *. Literally never had any other issues

This is one of the main reasons why I don't install linux on people's computers. I know a lot of the average folks mostly use their computers for web browsing but there's always the chance that something will go wrong or maybe they want to install software that only works with windows or hardware that has issues with linux. I don't want to be stuck doing technical support to those people.

You are right that linux can be great OOTB but when shit goes down or there's an issue, it always come down to doing things in the command line. I mostly install windows with an updated antivirus and an ad blocker. That solves most of the potential issues with windows.

Would you whine about getting into a car crash because you removed your brake pads?

HOOOOL UPP
SO U BE SAYIN
HOL THE FUUUCK UP
U BE SAYIN
THE LINUKS
THAT LINUX CANT
IT CANT PLAY NO MUHFUGGIN GAMSS??
SHEEEEIT
Y U NIGGA TRY TO RECOMEND DAT SHIT
COMPUTA SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE XBOX U CLICK GAME AND PLAY IT
Y DA FUQ U WANNA HAVE A COMPUTA IF U DON PLAY GAMES NIGGA
FEMINIZATION KEKOLDRY MKULTRA BRAIN GOODY GOOD BRIGHT COLORS HAPPY TIMES SOMA 2018 DELUX SEASON PASS DONT RUN ON LINUX NIGGA Y U WANNA USE A SHIT OS LIKE THAT
SHEEEEIT

You should probably keep in mind that the -f flag is the option that disables confirmation.

saved this pic thx

rm -rif *

seriously wtf????
google windows issues and you get something like 'sorry bout that reinstall pls'

User of both Windows 7 (I just hate Windows 10) and Linux Mint here, I agree that each OS has its own shortcomings, but not Linux is harder to use or vice versa, it is the "which OS you are more familiar with".

Generally, if someone working in professions like modelling, cad and whatnot with strict industry guidelines, they are stuck with Windows OS because apparently, Linux alternatives can't compete with the major softwares in functionality and supports let alone replacing them.

For general purposes like browsing, emailing and light document editing, Linux and Windows both do well. The scale tips a little bit towards Windows, we can't deny that, as most of services and apps out there were made with Windows normies in mind initially. Linux DE is buggy sometimes, minor ones but there are. For idiot-proof, I can say Linux is much better because normie usually can't or dont know how to override system-wide parameters.

My 1st boot OS is Mint. If I need my CAD program then I would change my OS to W7 before my working session. The only thing that irks me sometimes is when I have to make some changes in Linux, I have to google then copy&paste commands from the Internet, I'm no linux guru so I have to live with that while I can troubleshoot Windows with ease. Well, this boils down to which one I'm more familiar with anyways.