Let's only talk about good programming languages, okay?

Let's only talk about good programming languages, okay?

Other urls found in this thread:

1.droppdf.com/files/rxD90/erlang-programming.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just use elixir

go's nice so far, it's easy but still compitent

Elixir is some kid's retarded college project. The syntax is no better than Erlang's, and it actually limits what you can easily achieve with the language unless you also know and use Erlang in your projects anyways.

Just use Erlang if you want to use Erlang, there's absolutely no reason to add additional complexity for no return.

It's nice to see some Erlang niggas on Sup Forums.

Why?

What projects have you done in Erlang? I once made a basic website where users could register, log in, and such. It used something similar to json web tokens for authentication, I was pretty proud of that. I also made a game of life in the recent weekly programming challenge thread.

Go or Rust?

what do you recommend?

I read that some banks write their software in Erlang.

Why?

>experimental anonymous ciphers support
dropped

Can anyone recommend a good earlang book?

Chose this if anyone is interested.
1.droppdf.com/files/rxD90/erlang-programming.pdf

I fell for the Elixir meme, until I found out it's basically coffeescript for Erlang, it lacks basic driver support (DB etc) and you have to use Erlang drivers to get anything done.

Just use Erlang, unless you're a rubyfaggot that is unable to learn a different syntax.

no thanks, I'd rather use javascript

rust has no gc and is more like c/c++, but helps you with memory management

go has gc so you don't have to worry about memory management and really simple concurrency.

go has better syntax better tools and better compile times, and requires fewer lines of code to get things done

rust has more support for lower level stuff like 3d game engines etc.

go is better for writing network concurrent apps quick & easy

rust is more like a general alternative to c/c++, but has worse syntax more complexity then go and needs more lines of code to get things done

hello mike

You should basically never use Rust unless it's a home project that you're willing to spend 4x the time to write even the most basic thing.

Rust is a terrible language, some concepts that are questionable like the borrow checker is a core language feature, you're not allowed to use anything deemed 'unsafe' without begging the language to do so.

It'll quickly cripple your mind if you use it for too long, you'll never be able to write in another language again.

t. Recovering Rustacean

He's webdeveloper. There is no other reasoning behind it. Elixir is still obscure enough for him to get a hard on using it.

Thanks. Have bewbs.

What IDE do you recommend for Go, if any?

jetbrains gogland

Sums up most of HN to be honest

Most telecommunication networks are made with it. Ask yourself how much downtime they have in a year. It's easy to scale and maintain in the runtime.
Everything else I could tell you would just make some controversy on Sup Forums, so I just won't write much.

best meme language checking in

has science gone too far?

Erlang:
Massively scalable.
Does its own thing re concurrency - you can have millions of '''''threads'''' without the memory danger
Pause runtime, deploy as you please later
Live patching of code. Entire data structures can be updated with proper semaphore usage
Fast

Downsides:
Strings weren't important in the original implementation so their performance and formatting are weird.
Casting '[104, 101, 108, 108]' to string won't do what you're expecting for example

>HN
What did he mean by this?

I use atom + ide-go plugin

Nobody ever wants to talk about Erlang

We are no techies, we are mostly consumerists with little knowledge in basic webshit.

Rust is great when you know what you're doing with it and you know why you're using it.
t. made a Rust component for a commercial application

Because nobody uses it.

>go has better syntax
stopped reading right there

> Massively scalable.
Thanks for partly working out how it's done. I'm doing the rest!

*disappears with all production users in tow*

឴ ឴឴ ឴឴ ឴

Rust:
let xs: [i32; 5] = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5];

vs
Go:
var xs = [5]int32{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

what's more readable and makes sense?

I don't know Go much but perhaps you'd have a better case of hard-to-read Rust syntax with stuff like Option and slices / references / de-references *&[..].

Anyone tried Crystal? With Ruby-like syntax and Rust-like performance it maybe more than interesting option

How is that confusing?
They're lust wrapped types. If you know what Option (a Maybe-type) or Rc (Referenc Counter) is it's not confusing at all. It's just explicit. How else would you express that? S-expressions? (option (rc (refcell T)))?

I will give you the slice syntax, that's fucking ugly.

Looks comfy (I love ruby's syntax desu) but from what I hear the language is still really early in its infancy which is why not that many people have bothered with it.

I hope you're not a gofag because the rust version is clearly better syntax wise. you have a variable name, an optional type declaration neatly separated by a colon (per the academic convention), and its value. You also know it's immutable so it's not even the same thing as the go version (even C has immutable variables, lmao). this is a particularly bad example because it seems that go actually forces you to add type information to array literals, which is redundant and retarded. It's even more bizarre because something like var x = 5 int32 is illegal, so it's not even consistent.

I just use python, c# and c++. Tell me why I'm wrong Sup Forums?

I agree it's all justified but it's scary to untrained eyes. Of course, with some experience it becomes okay.

The creatror of Erlang himself said there were some pretty cool things in Elixir.

But you know you can always simply use Erlang from elixir, don't you?

...and that's why you want to use elixir, wher string handling (and other i/o stuff) are comfy.

I'm too scared to try LFE myself.
It's like ..too much power.